PDA

View Full Version : MLB Network: Expos vs. Pirates 1970

Brian26
11-22-2009, 06:06 PM
This is on right now (6pm CT), and the Sox tie-in is that Don Drysdale is the color commentator. This was Drydale's first year annoucing, and he sounds entirely different (less comfortable) than he would 13 seasons later with the Sox.

Also- it's a rare chance to see Clemente on film. The game is from Jarry Park in Montreal, which I've only seen in photos before. There are no outfield seats.

Lip Man 1
11-22-2009, 11:56 PM
There were outfield seats at the park.

Lip

Fenway
11-23-2009, 12:33 AM

Lip

Parc Jarry was a fun ballpark..it still exists as a tennis facility

Drysdale ironically died in Montreal while broadcasting for the Dodgers

Lip Man 1
11-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Fenway:

By the way...what's with the MLBN showing all these games in black & white? I have for example, seen the actual TV broadcasts of the 1970 World Series on regional networks (MASN via Orioles Classics) and the 1969 World Series and they were shown in color.

Stands to reason that if the regional networks have the games in color that MLBN should too.

Now I understand some of these games were actually recorded in black & white i.e. the 1956 World Series, the 1965 World Series and the 1968 World Series but that doesn't explain all of them.

And while we're on the subject (although I think I know the answer) how come we never see anything from the World Series say of 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966 or 1967? (I know for example that KMOX has a pristine copy of the TV broadcast from the 1964 World Series that has never been seen...)

Lip

Fenway
11-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Fenway:

By the way...what's with the MLBN showing all these games in black & white? I have for example, seen the actual TV broadcasts of the 1970 World Series on regional networks (MASN via Orioles Classics) and the 1969 World Series and they were shown in color.

Stands to reason that if the regional networks have the games in color that MLBN should too.

Now I understand some of these games were actually recorded in black & white i.e. the 1956 World Series, the 1965 World Series and the 1968 World Series but that doesn't explain all of them.

And while we're on the subject (although I think I know the answer) how come we never see anything from the World Series say of 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966 or 1967? (I know for example that KMOX has a pristine copy of the TV broadcast from the 1964 World Series that has never been seen...)

Lip

MLBN likes the 'retro' look of B&W.

NBC made black and white kinescopes of many of these games and shipped them to Alaska and Hawaii where it was impossible to show games live in those days. Many of these films were discovered at channel 2 in Anchorage.

The 1967 World Series is nowhere to be found. All that exists is 45 seconds of Game 2 that was shown on Huntley-Brinkley that shows Lonborg losing a no-hitter in the 8th.

It is amazing how many snippets have been found because of the old Sports Challenge game show which were never erased. So much was lost because of the expense of two inch tape which cost $250 for a one hour reel in the 60's. NBC ERASED 99 persent of Carson's first ten years in New York. The only complete NY show that survived was Tiny Tim's wedding.

It is so frustrating.

ewokpelts
11-23-2009, 01:31 PM
content as we know it wasnt valued, correct?

Lip Man 1
11-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Well the Sports Challenge is where I was able to get both of Dick Allen's inside the park home runs in the same game at Minnesota on July 31, 1972 via WFLD-TV.

No one knew at the time that this stuff would be wanted or needed. For example NASA almost taped over all of the moon landing footage citing the need to reuse tape because of the budget. The original tapes were actually taken home by some of the engineers which is why they remain today.

Lip

soxinem1
11-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Not to jump too far off topic, but a few weeks ago MLB Network played the 1981 NLCS between MTL and LAD.

Near the end of the game, when the Dodgers were about to win, the announcer stated that the Expos were not a fluke and this would be the first of many playoff appearances for them.

That prophecy sure didn't turn out well.

Medford Bobby
11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
That was the same issue with Monty Python's Flying Circus. The BBC was going to dump the original tapes of the series, and Python member Terry Gilliam found about this and the BBC said "you get it out of here and it's yours".

He rented a truck and grabbed all that material and now has possession of them .:D:

Lip Man 1
11-23-2009, 09:12 PM
I believe it was Terry Jones.

Lip

Brian26
11-23-2009, 09:23 PM

Lip

Yes, good call. I noticed this after my initial post. There weren't any stands in RF or CF (just a cyclone fence with some landscaping behind it), but there was a grandstand constructed behind the LF wall.

ewokpelts
11-24-2009, 12:37 AM
thanksgiving weekend is an ASG buffet. 2003 and 1990 full game broadcasts, as well as a 1983 highlight reel.

downstairs
11-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Well the Sports Challenge is where I was able to get both of Dick Allen's inside the park home runs in the same game at Minnesota on July 31, 1972 via WFLD-TV.

No one knew at the time that this stuff would be wanted or needed. For example NASA almost taped over all of the moon landing footage citing the need to reuse tape because of the budget. The original tapes were actually taken home by some of the engineers which is why they remain today.

Lip

Fenway is more of an expert- but doesn't it have to do with the fact that tape was much more expensive, and therefore re-use was very common?

As well, people most likely thought of TV as a "live" thing only. No one had the mentality of re-running a sports program for nostalga's sake. The game was over, it was meaningless footage.

VeeckAsInWreck
11-24-2009, 11:39 AM
thanksgiving weekend is an ASG buffet. 2003 and 1990 full game broadcasts, as well as a 1983 highlight reel.

Awesome! This is why I love me some MLB Network.

Medford Bobby
11-25-2009, 05:50 PM
I believe it was Terry Jones.

Lip

If I could only remember what episode this was discussed during the Monty Python retrospect series on IFC...and i did tape a few of these....:scratch: