PDA

View Full Version : Doc Halladay tells Jays he won't resign

Domeshot17
11-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Have to trade him now or the deadline

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4677979

DirtySox
11-21-2009, 06:15 PM
It was ridiculous that they didn't trade him at the last trade deadline. They could have gotten a nice haul. Especially if they accepted the supposed Boston package.

jamokes
11-21-2009, 07:13 PM
And now that he says this his value for the Jays goes down even more!

Trav
11-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Why is it ridiculous that the Blue Jays kept him for another year? They can still trade him this year at the deadline and get much in return. It does not make much sense to get rid of a top tier pitcher with another year left on his contract.

DirtySox
11-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Why is it ridiculous that the Blue Jays kept him for another year? They can still trade him this year at the deadline and get much in return. It does not make much sense to get rid of a top tier pitcher with another year left on his contract.

Huh? The Jays aren't close to contending with the talent and teams in that division. The longer they hold on to him, the less they will get in return. They should have maximized their return at the trade deadline and almost everyone knew it. This was a huge factor in why Ricciardi was fired.

Red Barchetta
11-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Huh? The Jays aren't close to contending with the talent and teams in that division. The longer they hold on to him, the less they will get in return. They should have maximized their return at the trade deadline and almost everyone knew it. This was a huge factor in why Ricciardi was fired.

...while our own KW flies under the radar and closes the Peavy deal. I love it! :D:

Trav
11-22-2009, 09:58 AM

Why can't they get as much this trade deadline? They will have as much clout as they did last year. Any team giving up lots of talent for him would have wanted to sign him to an extension last year. just like they will have to this year.

Boondock Saint
11-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Why can't they get as much this trade deadline? They will have as much clout as they did last year. Any team giving up lots of talent for him would have wanted to sign him to an extension last year. just like they will have to this year.

They can't get as much because last year, teams were bidding on 1 1/2 years of Halladay guaranteed. Now they're bidding on one year or less of him guaranteed. Just look at the package the Brewers gave up for Sabathia. It wasn't a big package. The Jays won't get a much bigger deal than that for Halladay, and that's if they move well before the trade deadline.

DirtySox
11-22-2009, 10:12 AM

Since when does 1 year of guaranteed Halladay have the same value as 1.5 years? 1 playoff push versus 2? Teams aren't going to give up the same amount of talent as last year because there is a chance that they might be able to resign him. I'll bet my bottom dollar that Doc tests the market, as he should.

Trav
11-22-2009, 10:13 AM
They can't get as much because last year, teams were bidding on 1 1/2 years of Halladay guaranteed. Now they're bidding on one year or less of him guaranteed. Just look at the package the Brewers gave up for Sabathia. It wasn't a big package. The Jays won't get a much bigger deal than that for Halladay, and that's if they move well before the trade deadline.

I think we will see the same amount of fervor from the usual suspects this time around. Trading away a great pitcher with a year left on his contract just because he won't resign after that year is up is not a good way to compete. Look at the Cliff Lee trade. The Indians didn't get a very good package and Lee is a bargain this year.

getonbckthr
11-22-2009, 12:14 PM
I almost wonder if Kenny should just say "**** it and **** the future" and go for Halladay.

DSpivack
11-22-2009, 12:50 PM
I almost wonder if Kenny should just say "**** it and **** the future" and go for Halladay.

I really don't think we have the money for this, and I don't see the point. I think our rotation is fine.

Red Barchetta
11-22-2009, 06:43 PM
I really don't think we have the money for this, and I don't see the point. I think our rotation is fine.

I agree. We need to get another outfielder.

Frater Perdurabo
11-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Yes, our rotation is "good enough to win the AL Central," but why be content with that? If the Sox could add Halladay, why not?

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Yes, our rotation is "good enough to win the AL Central," but why be content with that? If the Sox could add Halladay, why not?

There's more important needs the team has. If they're going to break the bank and trade whatever prospects we have left it might as well go towards a weakness (OF and leadoff). The rotation is pretty much set, and is very strong. You can't argue that Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd with either Garcia or Hudson is a bad rotation. Does Halladay make it better? Yes, but is it worth it for only 1 year? Not in my opinion. Halladay would require Danks or Floyd with Flowers and a few more prospects. The chance that he resigns elsewhere is too great to go through with that.

TheOldRoman
11-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Yes, our rotation is "good enough to win the AL Central," but why be content with that? If the Sox could add Halladay, why not?Our rotation is also "good enough to be the best rotation in the AL". Would Halladay look good in a Sox uniform? Sure. However, he would only be here one year, and he will cost you either Danks or Floyd.

The Sox have holes on offense right now. Law of diminishing returns. A huge bat is going to help the Sox a lot more than another great pitcher. If we are saying "to hell with the future", we are getting Adrian Gonzalez.

Frater Perdurabo
11-22-2009, 07:24 PM
There's more important needs the team has. If they're going to break the bank and trade whatever prospects we have left it might as well go towards a weakness (OF and leadoff). The rotation is pretty much set, and is very strong. You can't argue that Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd with either Garcia or Hudson is a bad rotation. Does Halladay make it better? Yes, but is it worth it for only 1 year? Not in my opinion. Halladay would require Danks or Floyd with Flowers and a few more prospects. The chance that he resigns elsewhere is too great to go through with that.

I agree there are bigger needs, and the rotation right now is great. But with a pie-in-the-sky Halladay-Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd-Danks rotation, plus Garcia & Hudson in the pen, the Sox could win it all even with a mediocre lineup.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-22-2009, 07:32 PM
I agree there are bigger needs, and the rotation right now is great. But with a pie-in-the-sky Halladay-Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd-Danks rotation, plus Garcia & Hudson in the pen, the Sox could win it all even with a mediocre lineup.

True, but I doubt the Sox could still have one of either Floyd or Danks. In a perfect video game world...

I would be more worried about the future. After Halladay leaves, the Sox would have Buehrle, Peavy and one of either Danks or Floyd. I don't know how the team could afford both Peavy and Halladay. Garcia is still a '?' for the future and Hudson hasn't exactly done anything great. That's the only thing that would prevent me from making the trade. If the loss wasn't as great as that, then I'd jump on it.