PDA

View Full Version : Lincecum wins NL Cy Young

seventyseven
11-19-2009, 01:49 PM
What a joke. Both Carpenter and Wainwright were more deserving.

spawn
11-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I guess strikeouts are sexy.

Shoeless_Jeff
11-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Robbery.

tstrike2000
11-19-2009, 02:02 PM
What a joke. Both Carpenter and Wainwright were more deserving.

I have to agree in this case. I didn't think "The Freak" deserved it this year. I would've had it Wainwright, Carpenter, Lincecum, but I'm not a writer for the BBWAA, so it doesn't matter. Interestingly, Javy proved he really thrives in the NL finishing 4th. Two voters didn't even have Carpenter on their ballots which is a sham in itself.

TDog
11-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Tim Lincecum was the best pitcher in baseball last year, and the year before that.

MrX
11-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Keith Law from ESPN was Javy's lone vote because that's who his spreadsheet told him to vote for.

doublem23
11-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Keith Law from ESPN was Javy's lone vote because that's who his spreadsheet told him to vote for.

He got 3 points, so it wouldn't have mattered who he voted for.

BleacherBandit
11-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Lincecum deserves this. He had yet another phenomenal year.

Boondock Saint
11-19-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't know how the voting went, but I think that Carpenter and Wainwright stole votes from each other, opening the door for Lincecum.

soxinem1
11-19-2009, 05:38 PM
I think Lincecum got the 'Pothead Sportswriter's Vote!!

He did make history, after all. I don't think it has ever happened that a Cy Young Award winner was in the midst of settling a possession of a controlled substance case.

Wainwright should have won.

BleacherBandit
11-19-2009, 06:02 PM
I think Lincecum got the 'Pothead Sportswriter's Vote!!

He did make history, after all. I don't think it has ever happened that a Cy Young Award winner was in the midst of settling a possession of a controlled substance case.

Wainwright should have won.

That is the weakest case for Wainwright you can make. "The other candiate smoked weed, just like 40% of Americans have, so he shouldn't win the Cy Young award even though he posted a 2.90 ERA and struck out over 220 batters!!!!"

Use the statistics to build your case.

cws05champ
11-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Which is more prestigious, Cy Young award or High Times Man of the Year?

TDog
11-19-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't know how the voting went, but I think that Carpenter and Wainwright stole votes from each other, opening the door for Lincecum.

That's possible. Really, it's a shame for Carpenter that he could have such a great year and not win the award. (Of course, it's a shame that the year Wilbur Wood won more than 20 games with an ERA of 1.91 Vida Blue won a couple more with an ERA of 1.82.) During Lincecum's news conference, he said he thought Carpenter would win the award, and some people will probably interpret that to mean he thought Carpenter should win the award. He also noted that Wainwright won 19 games.

It is interesting that both the American and National League Cy Young awards went to pitchers who pitched phenomenally and got little run support, almost as if there was a backlash against pitchers who got run support. It isn't as if the NL Cy Young is the Golden Glove Award and Lincecum will win it every year he's in the league, although he already has won it every full season he has been in the league.

I saw more of Lincecum this year than I did of Carpenter or Wainwright. I see a lot of Giants and A's games. That may have something to do with the fact that I thought Carpenter was a better pitcher than Wainwright, but I thought Lincecum was better than Carpenter. Unlike the AL Rookie of the Year award where only a few voters saw the recipient more than a couple of innings, if at all, it looks like voters didn't go by stats as much as what they saw when they watched Lincecum pitch.

Lincecum closed out his press conference today by apologizing in a prepared statement to the organization and to his fans for the misdemeanor marijuana charge. To the credit of the media during the news conference, there were no questions relating to the charge that I heard.

DSpivack
11-19-2009, 07:59 PM
I really don't see a case for Wainwright over Carpenter. Carpenter and Lincecum both had fantastic years and I don't see how you could go wrong either way [not that Wainwright's year was a bad one, either].

soxinem1
11-19-2009, 08:45 PM
That is the weakest case for Wainwright you can make. "The other candiate smoked weed, just like 40% of Americans have, so he shouldn't win the Cy Young award even though he posted a 2.90 ERA and struck out over 220 batters!!!!"

Use the statistics to build your case.

I stated that Wainwright should have won sort of in a matter-of-factly way, and was making a quip about Lincecum. I had neither the intention nor desire to debate who should have won the award. But I guess I could have clarified that better.

I do think the wrong guy won, but the case for Lincecum was strong too, similar to that of Zach Greinke. Wins notwithstanding, Wainwright was stronger start to finish, IMO.

doublem23
11-19-2009, 11:59 PM

Well considering we're still only a decade or so removed from guys on steroids winning the MVP, I guess this is a step in the right direction.