PDA

View Full Version : Swisher is available - go figure!

ohiosoxfan
11-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Quick report out there that the Yankees want people to know that Nick Swisher is available- either they finally read his contract or they think his 2009 season was a fluke. His postseason performance sure looked familiar to Sox fans.:D:

Waysouthsider
11-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Wow....lets go sign him right away....!

NOT.....

Maybe he and his pie faces can play in Japan?

DirtySox
11-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. They got him for nothing, he had a good year, and will likely get a decent return in moving him.

beasly213
11-19-2009, 03:24 PM
They're moving him because he is a jackass and probably pisses teammates off with his antics.

Dub25
11-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. They got him for nothing, he had a good year, and will likely get a decent return in moving him.

Agreed, The Sox at the time gave up what was considered a lot then take a bunch of crap to rid of him.

Craig Grebeck
11-20-2009, 02:28 AM
They're moving him because he is a jackass and probably pisses teammates off with his antics.
...or because they can get a lot more than what they gave up. He's gravy for them.
Quick report out there that the Yankees want people to know that Nick Swisher is available- either they finally read his contract or they think his 2009 season was a fluke. His postseason performance sure looked familiar to Sox fans.:D:
Yes, a fluke that falls in with the rest of his career.

Red Barchetta
11-20-2009, 08:29 AM

Good year? He batted .249 or 4 points above his career average of .245?! Joe Girardi and his coaching staff must be geniuses for fixing his swing. :D:

He's not a bad guy like the Milton Bradleys of the league, however I never thought he was that good of a ballplayer. He took way too many strikes down the middle of the plate with runners in scoring position. I found it very frustrating to watch him play in 2008.

I agree that the World Series Champion Yankees could upgrade his position.

Lundind1
11-20-2009, 09:53 AM
WOOOO, Time for pies in the face for all!!!

PaleHoser
11-20-2009, 10:44 AM
My father, a life-long Cubs fan, absolutely loathed Steve Swisher (Nick's father). He hated the Santo trade, not because the Cubs traded Santo to the Sox but because the Cubs got Steve Swisher in that deal. He used to cuss me for being a Sox fan because of it.

It must be in the genes, because I despise Nick Swisher. I hate that he has a World Series ring after being an absolute non-factor in the post-season. He rips off his fan (is there more than one?, details here (http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/Nick-Swishers-Salute-Provokes-T-Shirt-Fight--64729157.html)) and probably steals candy from babies. I wouldn't want him on my team for free.

KenBerryGrab
11-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Good year? He batted .249 or 4 points above his career average of .245?! Joe Girardi and his coaching staff must be geniuses for fixing his swing. :D:

He posted the best OPS of his career.

Lundind1
11-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Not trying to pick a fight, so don't take this the wrong way but what does that prove? He had the best OPS of his career and now that makes him an actual viable player? No, it doesn't. On a grading scale he still only rates a B at best.

I can't stand how he hides out during the last few weeks of the season.

Frater Perdurabo
11-20-2009, 11:46 AM
The fact that despite playing in a murderer's row lineup, Swisher still only hit .249, ought to tell us that he sucks.

EDIT: But then again, most of us realized that after his one-year-too-long stint with the Sox.

GoGoCrede
11-20-2009, 11:48 AM
He might end up on a crap team next season, but he will always have that ring. Blech. I know I keep harping on this, but it irks me. Thome doesn't have a ring.

VMSNS
11-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Well...we DO need a right fielder.

NLaloosh
11-20-2009, 12:03 PM
I can tell you this right now, I would send the Yankees Jeff Marquez, Wilson Betemit and Jorge Nunez for him.

Frater Perdurabo
11-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I can tell you this right now, I would send the Yankees Jeff Marquez, Wilson Betemit and Jorge Nunez for him.

That's true. But I think the Yankees would demand Sweeney, Gio and DLS.

TDog
11-20-2009, 12:58 PM

What that tells you is that OPS isn't a way to judge offensive production.

puckereduppiet
11-20-2009, 05:36 PM

The Yankees have denied Nightengales' twitter, per the NY Post.

Red Barchetta
11-20-2009, 05:54 PM
He might end up on a crap team next season, but he will always have that ring. Blech. I know I keep harping on this, but it irks me. Thome doesn't have a ring.

I agree about Thome, however there are a lot of Swisher-like players who backed into World Series rings. Heck, didn't Brian Anderson get a ring in 2005 after being called up?

Noneck
11-20-2009, 07:35 PM

You want to pay him 16m over the next 2 years? I dont.

TDog
11-20-2009, 08:31 PM

What are the White Sox paying Marquez, Betemit and Nunez. The White Sox got the better end of the deal.