PDA

View Full Version : Selig: We screwed up

Fenway
11-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Bud Selig agrees with LAA that NYY should not have gotten away with using only 3 pitchers in the ALCS.

It won't happen again

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2009/11/18/selig_baseball_will_tighten_playoff_schedule/

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Well then make them play it over if you feel so strongly.

Oh, wait, can't do that....

dickallen15
11-19-2009, 08:26 AM
I thought all the extra days off were ridiculous. Why play for 6 months using a 5 man rotation to see who can survive a month with half the days off using a 3 man rotation? Although I do think the Yankees were the best team this year, the playoffs were cheapened for me. A 3 man rotation? That's just ridiculous, its not how the game has been played.

Red Barchetta
11-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Good! Maybe they can get back to the "Boys of October" vs. the "Boys of November"! :angry:

There is no way the baseball season should extend that long. It should not matter when each individual series ends. If the next oppenent is ready, give one travel day and then start the next series no matter what day it is. The Angels and Yankees were both ready to go after sweeping their first round oppenents and MLB decided to wait.

Part of the advantage of sweeping an opponent is that you might come into the series more rested than your next oppenent. Or some argue you might come in tight after a lengthy wait (similar to Detroit in 2006). Either way, it plays to the natural momentum of the post season vs. a league induced "waiting period". :angry:

Balfanman
11-19-2009, 08:45 AM
I thought all the extra days off were ridiculous. Why play for 6 months using a 5 man rotation to see who can survive a month with half the days off using a 3 man rotation? Although I do think the Yankees were the best team this year, the playoffs were cheapened for me. A 3 man rotation? That's just ridiculous, its not how the game has been played.

I agree. The long, drawn out playoff process was totally ridiculous.

As with any decision though I think that you have to follow the money here. Could it be that the advertisers saw that interest in the playoffs and World Series was dwindling the longer that the playoffs went on?

asindc
11-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Well, at least they admitted that it was a bad idea and are willing to fix it. That does not happen often enough.

ComiskeyBrewer
11-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Well, at least they admitted that it was a bad idea and are willing to fix it. That does not happen often enough.

Agreed. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come from the Selig administration.

Dibbs
11-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Selig takes a lot of crap. This is a great decision.

thomas35forever
11-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Selig actually does something right for once. While they're at it, they should make a rule that guarantees the season ends before Halloween.

Dub25
11-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Wait a minute, Selig is full of crap. Once Fox says they can't interupt Bones scheduled airing unless he takes less dollars then I'll believe it. The networks dictate the postseason schedule.

Oblong
11-20-2009, 08:38 AM
If the Tigers would have been able to get in then I would have liked their chances a lot more against the Yankees if they picked the extra day due to the 3 man rotation. Not saying they would have won but I'd put it at 30%. If they had then I'd agree that it would have been an issue. You should play the game the same way in the post season. Quit the off days between home games. Play a simple 2-2-1 in the LDS and 2-3-2 in the LCS and WS, with an off day for travel. Teams could go with a 4 man rotation at that point but that's ok. Most teams don't have an established 5 man rotation all year long anyway.

thomas35forever
11-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Wait a minute, Selig is full of crap. Once Fox says they can't interupt Bones scheduled airing unless he takes less dollars then I'll believe it. The networks dictate the postseason schedule.
Well Selig needs to grow a pair and deliver a "**** you" to the networks. It's his league, and he makes the decisions, or does he?

Railsplitter
11-21-2009, 10:31 AM
If the season ends Sunday, start the division series on Teusday. No four or five days off between series either.