PDA

View Full Version : Classic Sox game VCR Alert!

Medford Bobby
11-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Comcast SportsNet Chicago is repeating Mark Buehrle's Perfect game at 7:00pm Thanksgiving night as "2009 White Sox Classic - Tampa Bay Rays @ White Sox July 23, 2009"

After a day of turkey and crummy football, some White Sox baseball makes a great dessert!:D:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Cw54B_REeCH-bM:http://blog.masslive.com/sports_impact/2009/07/large_mark-buehrle-perfect-game.jpg

DumpJerry
11-18-2009, 07:51 PM
What is a "VCR" and why should we be on the alert for it?:redneck

tacosalbarojas
11-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Hah - it has been on my DVR for months...Obviously, keep until I delete status!

TheCommander
11-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Hah - it has been on my DVR for months...Obviously, keep until I delete status!

Same here! There have been more than a few times our DVR has reached 70%+ capacity and I was close to deleting it. But I came to my senses and actually watched and deleted other material to preserve the perfect game. :redneck

chisoxfanatic
11-18-2009, 10:27 PM
I wish I knew how to use my VCR since getting this dish 2.5 years ago. I haven't taped a single thing since getting this dish. Does anyone have any ideas?

thomas35forever
11-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Already have the game on iTunes.

DumpJerry
11-18-2009, 11:10 PM
I wish I knew how to use my VCR since getting this dish 2.5 years ago. I haven't taped a single thing since getting this dish. Does anyone have any ideas?
You don't have a DVR with your system? Didn't you get the high end package (the one that gives you sports) which has free Tivo?

chisoxfanatic
11-18-2009, 11:24 PM
You don't have a DVR with your system? Didn't you get the high end package (the one that gives you sports) which has free Tivo?
I have the Choice Extra package, which is right under the premium package. I don't want to pay the extra for all of the sports packages when the only one I'm interested in watching is NHL Center Ice, so I subscribe only to that sports package. I can get enough of the other sports on the ESPN and league networks to please me.

Lip Man 1
11-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Unless there is a real screw up, it'll be "blacked out" outside of the White Sox home market viewing area.

MLB unlike the NHL and to a certain extent the NBA is a real stickler in this area.

Lip

DumpJerry
11-18-2009, 11:54 PM
I have the Choice Extra package, which is right under the premium package. I don't want to pay the extra for all of the sports packages when the only one I'm interested in watching is NHL Center Ice, so I subscribe only to that sports package. I can get enough of the other sports on the ESPN and league networks to please me.
Hmmm.....not sure how to do it since I have not had to use the record function on my VCR since getting Directv. Maybe if you check the manual from Directv they have a diagram of how to connect the VCR to the system so that it will record like it did when you had cable. Maybe (and I'm just throwing this out there) if you connect the VCR to the Sat. box before you leave and program it to record at the designated time and channel, it will pull it off the dish. Try that before you leave to experiment to see if that works.

chisoxfanatic
11-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Hmmm.....not sure how to do it since I have not had to use the record function on my VCR since getting Directv. Maybe if you check the manual from Directv they have a diagram of how to connect the VCR to the system so that it will record like it did when you had cable. Maybe (and I'm just throwing this out there) if you connect the VCR to the Sat. box before you leave and program it to record at the designated time and channel, it will pull it off the dish. Try that before you leave to experiment to see if that works.
Hmmm...I'll run a test this weekend to see how that works! The only way I'd think that would work would be for my box to be continuously on, as I don't think it could flip on on its own to "send the channel" to the VCR. If not, then I might just give DirecTV a call and see if they have any suggestions (I COULD also complain about the whole Versus fiasco once again as well :redneck).

I'd think the Sox could make some nice money by putting this and his no-hitter on DVD. Heck, Buehrle has had so many accomplishments to his resume that they could make an entire DVD highlighting his career. Make a nice DVD up and have the proceeds go to White Sox charities. I know I'd buy it.

InKennyWeTrust
11-19-2009, 12:19 AM
I thought you were talking about the Sox/Mariners game where Randy Johnson struck out 19, which was shown on the MLB Network today.

DSpivack
11-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Unless there is a real screw up, it'll be "blacked out" outside of the White Sox home market viewing area.

MLB unlike the NHL and to a certain extent the NBA is a real stickler in this area.

Lip

You can get CSN Chicago outside the home market?

chisoxfanatic
11-19-2009, 12:45 AM
You can get CSN Chicago outside the home market?
If you have the highest programming tier, at least for DirecTV. It just cuts off for games when blackout restrictions apply.

SBSoxFan
11-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Hmmm...I'll run a test this weekend to see how that works! The only way I'd think that would work would be for my box to be continuously on, as I don't think it could flip on on its own to "send the channel" to the VCR. If not, then I might just give DirecTV a call and see if they have any suggestions (I COULD also complain about the whole Versus fiasco once again as well :redneck).

I'd think the Sox could make some nice money by putting this and his no-hitter on DVD. Heck, Buehrle has had so many accomplishments to his resume that they could make an entire DVD highlighting his career. Make a nice DVD up and have the proceeds go to White Sox charities. I know I'd buy it.

It's likely you'll have to leave your satellite box on, and set your VCR to record channel 3 (or 4). Of course, you can't watch one station and record another.

CLR01
11-19-2009, 01:12 AM

So leave the box on. You don't need to call them to be told that. :rolleyes:

Turn on the VCR, make sure you are in VCR mode, and check to see if you have picture and sound. You'll probably have to find the av channel, for mine it is below 2 b out yours could be different. If you get picture on all channels great but I doubt it. Now find you timer, set to record at the time the game starts on the VCR channel that gets the picture, again if that is CSN great but it's probably going to be the AV channel. select a speed that will record the whole game, probably slp. Follow on screen instructions to save. Leave VCR on unless it tells you otherwise. Good grief. You should proably practice this as much as possible.

veeter
11-19-2009, 07:09 AM
What is a "VCR" and why should we be on the alert for it?:redneckIt has to do with the Veteran's Committee or something.

white sox bill
11-19-2009, 07:47 AM
I don't know, but I'm not missing Reagan's State of the Union speech on that night!

Hitmen77
11-19-2009, 08:40 AM
I thought you were talking about the Sox/Mariners game where Randy Johnson struck out 19, which was shown on the MLB Network today.

I'm still waiting for Lyle Mouton's number to be retired.

october23sp
11-19-2009, 10:00 AM
I have the entire Original broadcast of the Perfect Game saved on my DVR still. :bandance:

Waysouthsider
11-19-2009, 03:12 PM
On the question of CSN out of market posted earlier....somehow we get the CSN broadcast on our direct TV down here...and we're about 350 miles from the city....

That's great, but what blows for us is that we can't get the weekly "U" game because it gets blacked out on our extra innings ticket! Go figure...so we miss about one sox game per week no matter how we contrive to get it...
:whiner::whiner::whiner:

Although we are in the woods down here we do have DVR.....:rolleyes:

tstrike2000
11-19-2009, 03:20 PM

If your dish network box has Video and L/R Audio out (yellow, red and white RCA jacks) you might be able to plug those into the Video and Audio Input jacks of the VCR, set the VCR to L1 or something like that (usually the channel below 02) and see if you could record something that way.

Medford Bobby
11-19-2009, 04:29 PM
I don't know, but I'm not missing Reagan's State of the Union speech on that night!

Not unless your clocks keeps blinking 12:00:scratch:

DumpJerry
11-19-2009, 05:33 PM
If your dish network box has Video and L/R Audio out (yellow, red and white RCA jacks) you might be able to plug those into the Video and Audio Input jacks of the VCR, set the VCR to L1 or something like that (usually the channel below 02) and see if you could record something that way.
She had Directv, not Dish.

soxinem1
11-19-2009, 05:46 PM
When I first read this title I immediately thought of two noteable games I have on VCR that I was at.

One, Andy Hawkins no-hitter in 1990.

Two, the last game in Comiskey Park.:whiner:

Medford Bobby
11-19-2009, 06:40 PM
When I first read this title I immediately thought of two noteable games I have on VCR that I was at.

Those are two fun games to watch again, how ever you start to miss the old place and can't believe 20 years has almost passed...:(:

DumpJerry
11-19-2009, 07:10 PM

I was at the Hawkins no-no (which was the Yankees' last game at old Comiskey), Burl's first no-no and the next to last game at old Comiskey.

Both of Burl's no-nos are on my DVR.

BleacherBandit
11-19-2009, 07:34 PM
I bought the broadcast of the game off of iTunes. That's really all I could do since I don't have a DVR/Tivo....or a VCR.

hula
11-19-2009, 10:45 PM
If you have the highest programming tier, at least for DirecTV. It just cuts off for games when blackout restrictions apply.

It would be really nice if they didn't black it out this time for those of us who no longer live in Chicago....... :whiner:

Lip Man 1
11-19-2009, 11:03 PM
It's not them, it's MLB ordering Comcast too.

Lip

Medford Bobby
11-20-2009, 06:19 PM
It's not them, it's MLB ordering Comcast too.

Lip
Yet they show it over and over again on MLB.:scratch: