PDA

View Full Version : MLB.tv + Internet + TV = question

dwalteroo
11-18-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm looking for a little advice from anyone who may have tried this:

I'm thinking of getting rid of my cable service as I really don't watch all that much TV...especially during the baseball offseason. AND, almost everything is available in some form online. So I was thinking of getting one of those internet media players (Boxee, Roku, etc, etc), and hooking that up, with the MLB.tv subscription when time comes around for the 2010 season.

Anyone try this? Any problems with it? (Especially with Sox broadcasts?)

eriqjaffe
11-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Boxee has officially partnered with MLB.tv, so if you have an MLB.tv subscription, you can watch games through it:

http://blog.boxee.tv/2009/06/23/boxee-for-windows-moving-up-to-the-major-leagues/

That being said, I've never used Boxee, so I don't know much else about it.

voodoochile
11-18-2009, 10:22 AM
I don't know where you live, but if you are inside the Chicago viewing area, MLB.TV blocks out Sox games. You can watch them on tape delay, but not live.

Also, you will notice a big dropoff in video quality from cable TV to Internet broadcast. Freezing, glitching, etc are a big part of the problems, so make sure you are ready for that too.

I do agree that as more and more content is offered on-line cable TV seems to be a dying concept. Most shows are offered on-line shortly after being broadcast, so if you are willing to wait a few days at the most, you could stay up on all your favorite shows.

gregoriop
11-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Boxee's first dedicated box is coming out in December. It can run on other boxes, but it's not native and you have to do some hackery to install it. I've never used Boxee, but it's based on XBMC which can be pretty powerful given the right hardware.

Nellie_Fox
11-18-2009, 02:12 PM
I haven't seen any of these interface devices in action, but in an age when people are migrating to 40-50 inch hi-def flatscreens, the quality of streaming video currently available on the internet is horrible. Until they figure out how to reliably stream hi-def video, I don't see cable/satellite going away any time soon.

gregoriop
11-18-2009, 03:08 PM
I haven't seen any of these interface devices in action, but in an age when people are migrating to 40-50 inch hi-def flatscreens, the quality of streaming video currently available on the internet is horrible. Until they figure out how to reliably stream hi-def video, I don't see cable/satellite going away any time soon.

Some of those devices can stream 1080p video, no problem. Now, it doesn't look as good as a Bluray but it looks pretty darn good. It's really up to both the content provider and the hardware manufacturer AND you have to have the bandwidth, but it's absolutely possible.

asindc
11-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Some of those devices can stream 1080p video, no problem. Now, it doesn't look as good as a Bluray but it looks pretty darn good. It's really up to both the content provider and the hardware manufacturer AND you have to have the bandwidth, but it's absolutely possible.

Therein lies the dilemma.

ewokpelts
11-18-2009, 04:02 PM
$200 for mlb extra innings, ot $119 for mlb.tv premium?

i think boxee made that answer easier....