PDA

View Full Version : Studio 42 Bob Costas interview with Ernie Harwell

kruzer31
11-18-2009, 03:09 AM
Just watched Studio 42 with Bob Costas and his interview with legendary broadcaster Ernie Harwell. If you are a baseball fan you have to catch the last 5 minutes when Mr. Harwell recites his speech on the game of Baseball. Its pretty amazing.

God Bless Mr. Harwell, you Tiger fans had a great man callin your games.

JEFF

Fenway
11-18-2009, 09:15 AM
I started to cry when he said he doesn't think he will live to see another baseball game.

PaleHoser
11-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Studio 42 with Bob Costas gets re-run pretty regularly, so don't miss this interview. His recitation at the end is a must-see.

I hope to God I'm that vibrant and articulate when I'm 91. I guess he's living proof that going to the ballpark regularly keeps you young.

God bless Ernie Harwell.

FielderJones
11-18-2009, 11:53 AM
It's available (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091118&content_id=7680410&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) on mlb.com.

downstairs
11-18-2009, 12:34 PM
I have yet to watch this one- it taped last night, I'm sure I'll be able to see it tonight. But Bob Costas is really one of the best TV personality in sports, if not all of news.

His interview with Bud Seilig was just great. Perfectly professional, friendly yet not a softball interview. I came away liking Bud Seilig, and that which I disagree with him on, I respect his decisions.

Waysouthsider
11-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I really enjoyed the Harwell interview....damned powerful stuff.

If you haven't seen the Selig interview it was pretty good to... Costas tried to nail down Selig on scheduling, testing, and steroids.....I thought he was pretty challenging with Selig over the Mark McJuicer issue...which I really appreciated...that's a travesty of a sham of a travesty of a sham!

Nellie_Fox
11-18-2009, 02:30 PM
I thought he was pretty challenging with Selig over the Mark McJuicer issue...which I really appreciated...that's a travesty of a sham of a travesty of a sham!A traveshamockery?

kaufsox
11-19-2009, 10:38 AM
I've been a fan of Ernie since I lived in Michigan for a spell, and I just couldn't watch. I was getting too emotional. If I would have seen that final scene I know I would have completely lost it.

Waysouthsider
11-19-2009, 03:17 PM
you got it Nellie.....there's a word for him alright!

McJuicer makes me so mad I could spit.......and down here in Southern Illinois all of these Redbird fans will talk about the Black Sox Scandal and McJuicer in the same breath with a straight face!!!! :scratch:

Brian26
11-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Costas' interview with Denkinger, Froemming and Palermo was phenomenal. Lots of great stories, especially about the blown call in the '85 World Series.

Oblong
12-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Instead of starting a new thread I just added it to this one. Trammell and Gibson were at a fundraiser for veterans and Ernie surprised everyone by showing up.

http://www.freep.com/article/20091202/SPORTS02/912020446/?imw=Y

A nice touch at the end where a lady told them it felt like she got to spend another hour with her deceased father after listening to them.

Sox
12-02-2009, 02:05 PM
It's available (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091118&content_id=7680410&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) on mlb.com.

Best definition of baseball that I have ever seen. God Bless you Ernie Harwell.

soxinem1
12-04-2009, 01:37 PM
I saw this interview, and the one Bob Costas did with Jim Bouton. Both are pretty touching.

I really LOVE MLB Network!!!!

TommyJohn
12-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Costas, I must say, is a great interviewer. I think the reason is that he puts his ego aside (for the most part) and lets the person being interviewed be in the spotlight. It is when he is trying his hand at poetic blabbering about baseball or cracking lame one-liners that he sucks. Case in point: Goose Gossage mentioned that the 1976 White Sox were the worst team he ever played on "little league or big league." Costas asked him "was that the team that wore shorts?" Gossage quickly pointed out that they wore them once and refused to do so again, and how horrible Paul Richards looked in them. Costas tried to toss out another lame-ass one-liner about Wilbur Wood in shorts (something he has done before) but was thankfully cut short. Good thing. Newsflash to Bob: Wilbur Wood injured his knee in May of that year (line shot by Ron LeFlore off the kneecap) and was out for the year. He wasn't around for the shorts game.

All that said, I am looking forward to his December 14 interview with Dick Allen.

Oblong
12-04-2009, 08:55 PM
I thought his show on NBC back in the 90s was really good. It may have been on in the 80's too, I remember staying up very late in high school to watch it.

SOXfnNlansing
12-05-2009, 09:25 AM
I haven't seen the Harwell interview yet, but yesterday I really enjoyed watching the one on one with Bud, and watching Costas with the 4 living relievers that are in the HOF. Pretty good stuff on MLB Network.