PDA

View Full Version : Sox interested in Henry Blanco

Sockinchisox
11-17-2009, 04:36 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/agent-white-sox-express-interest-in-henry-blanco.html

Sargeant79
11-17-2009, 04:37 PM
I'd be all in favor of signing him to be AJ's backup this year. Keep Flowers in AAA if they don't trade him.

Craig Grebeck
11-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Would be a perfect fit.

soxinem1
11-17-2009, 04:43 PM
I'd be all in favor of signing him to be AJ's backup this year. Keep Flowers in AAA if they don't trade him.

Would be a perfect fit.

Absoluckinfutely!! Blanco would be a solid addition to the 2010 White Sox.

Now if we can get the pitchers to do their job and actually attempt to hold baserunners..........

JermaineDye05
11-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Good. He's one backup I've always liked as a possibility for the Sox. Plus, Ozzie loves him.

Redus Redux
11-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Honestly, if we can hold baserunners on with our catcher (so to speak)..i would consider having Blanco catch right handed pitching and get AJP to DH those days.

That is, as things stand. I'm sure Kenny is not done with DH but it's a thought. I'm sick of teams running wild on us.

Daver
11-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Honestly, if we can hold baserunners on with our catcher (so to speak)..i would consider having Blanco catch right handed pitching and get AJP to DH those days.

That is, as things stand. I'm sure Kenny is not done with DH but it's a thought. I'm sick of teams running wild on us.

You have to have three catchers on the 25 man roster to do that.

Dick Allen
11-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Be careful. Ex-Cub.:redneck

JohnTucker0814
11-17-2009, 08:17 PM
You have to have three catchers on the 25 man roster to do that.

You don't HAVE to! The risk you take by putting your backup C at DH is that if your starting catcher is injured, then you lose your DH position and the pitcher then goes into the game as a hitter. I think that's the rule, that if you decide to put your DH into the field, the pitcher takes the batting position. Then you just manage the rest of the game like a national league manager. The next day you call up another catcher to be the back-up and you move on!

I'd say that if you want your C to DH on a regular basis then sure, having 3 catchers would be best. However, if you just want to DH A.J. once a week, I'd take the chance that they won't get injured!

JMO

Daver
11-17-2009, 08:25 PM
You don't HAVE to! The risk you take by putting your backup C at DH is that if your starting catcher is injured, then you lose your DH position and the pitcher then goes into the game as a hitter. I think that's the rule, that if you decide to put your DH into the field, the pitcher takes the batting position. Then you just manage the rest of the game like a national league manager. The next day you call up another catcher to be the back-up and you move on!

I'd say that if you want your C to DH on a regular basis then sure, having 3 catchers would be best. However, if you just want to DH A.J. once a week, I'd take the chance that they won't get injured!

JMO

And if your best starting pitcher gets hit on the hand while at the plate and is out for the season you are out a back up catcher and a top of the rotation starter, because you were stupid enough to DH your everyday catcher.

One of the ideas behind the DH rule was to protect pitchers.

tm1119
11-17-2009, 09:27 PM
And if your best starting pitcher gets hit on the hand while at the plate and is out for the season you are out a back up catcher and a top of the rotation starter, because you were stupid enough to DH your everyday catcher.

Not to mention that our offense would be even worse than it was last year. Doesnt matter how good of a defensive catcher he is if we dont score runs we wont win games. Thome and AJ is >>>>>>>>>>> than AJ and Blanco.

SoxNation05
11-17-2009, 10:32 PM
I've always sought him to be the perfect back up.

DumpJerry
11-17-2009, 10:55 PM

JMO
That is the rule. What you are proposing is playing with fire. The Twins do that a lot with Redmond behind the Plate and Mauer DHing. They did that at a game in, IIRC, '07 at Comiskey. In the first inning, Redmond caught the follow-through of a Thome swing in the back of the head and had to leave the game. The Twins' pitcher then had to bat the rest of the game. Since this was the 2007 White Sox, they still won the game:angry:.

TDog
11-18-2009, 01:15 AM

JMO

It isn't simply a matter of risking injury. Using your catcher as your DH reduces the moves you can make. You can't pinch-run for your DH or your catcher, for example. The Twins DH Mauer on a regular basis, and they have only been burned by it a few times in the past couple of years that I am aware of. Of course, Mauer is the Twins' best hitter. In the case of Pierzynski, getting the day off might do him more good than serving as the DH when he isn't catching.

You aren't going to see Flowers making the Sox in the spring as a catcher. He seems too far away from being a major league catcher, let alone a catcher handling an elite major league staff. It isn't like he's hitting .400 in AAA.

white sox bill
11-18-2009, 07:13 AM

The solution is easy: Bring in a position player to pitch!

soxtalker
11-18-2009, 07:53 AM

You aren't going to see Flowers making the Sox in the spring as a catcher. He seems too far away from being a major league catcher, let alone a catcher handling an elite major league staff. It isn't like he's hitting .400 in AAA.

Maybe. I don't see AJ mentoring his replacement at this stage of his career, so Blanco over Flowers this year makes a lot of sense.

But there have been an awful lot of reports and blogs suggesting that Flowers would be on the staff as backup to AJ this coming year. Since no one has suggested it, I'll bring up the other option this allows. It would make it possible to trade AJ and have Flowers fill the backup/learning role in the majors. Or this could take place in 2010, if they think that Flowers needs a full season more in the minors.

KMcMahon817
11-18-2009, 11:40 AM
TDog:

They also have had three catchers on the 25 man roster for alot of that time.
I don't think DHing your catcher is quite as stupid as Daver makes it out to be, but it isn't something you should do on a regular basis if you only carry two catchers.

Dub25
11-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Henry Blanco? At least the team would have a player for Great Clips Mullet Night.

TDog
11-19-2009, 02:37 AM
The solution is easy: Bring in a position player to pitch!

Teal notwithstanding, Mark Kotsay was a closer in college. He was on the mound when his team won the College World Series. Kotsay is not only better offensively and defensively than Nick Swisher. He would make a better pitcher.

As for Flowers, I honestly don't see him catching for the White Sox in the near future. You are better off with a weak hitting, strong-on-defense catcher than you are with an inexperienced catcher who can hit. And Flowers isn't even a proven major league hitter.

Craig Grebeck
11-19-2009, 03:23 AM
Teal notwithstanding, Mark Kotsay was a closer in college. He was on the mound when his team won the College World Series. Kotsay is not only better offensively and defensively than Nick Swisher. He would make a better pitcher.

As for Flowers, I honestly don't see him catching for the White Sox in the near future. You are better off with a weak hitting, strong-on-defense catcher than you are with an inexperienced catcher who can hit. And Flowers isn't even a proven major league hitter.
:o:

Honestly. $100 Nick Swisher is more productive next season.

JohnTucker0814
11-19-2009, 09:27 AM

Seriously, you're worried about the starting pitcher getting hurt? Yes, anyone can get hit in the hand at bat, but the national league bats all their starting pitchers...EVERY GAME!

I don't want Blanco as a starter and A.J. as our DH... but if we had both Mauer & V. Martinez, it would be silly not to risk the 1 in a million chance that either your back-up catcher gets injured and your "best" starting pitcher (that would bat 1 or 2 times) gets injured!

russ99
11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Seriously, you're worried about the starting pitcher getting hurt? Yes, anyone can get hit in the hand at bat, but the national league bats all their starting pitchers...EVERY GAME!

I don't want Blanco as a starter and A.J. as our DH... but if we had both Mauer & V. Martinez, it would be silly not to risk the 1 in a million chance that either your back-up catcher gets injured and your "best" starting pitcher (that would bat 1 or 2 times) gets injured!

At this stage in his career, Henry Blanco is a backup catcher.

DSpivack
11-19-2009, 12:30 PM

You mean like when Jake Peavy got injured last season running the bases, which effectively ended his season?

thomas35forever
11-19-2009, 03:46 PM
I'd be fine with him. Wouldn't that mean Flowers gets set back another year though?

beasly213
11-19-2009, 04:26 PM
I'd be fine with him. Wouldn't that mean Flowers gets set back another year though?

I wouldn't say set back. I would say he gets another year in the minors to get some more at bats and catch every day. Where here he would play maybe twice a week.

It also could mean the Sox are planning on trading Flowers....

Sargeant79
11-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Flowers probably should be in the minors another year.

white sox bill
11-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Flowers probably should be in the minors another year.
Agreed, I always thought he was on the 2 yr in Minors plan. I guess it will give him time to blossom. I know, that was bad...:smile:

Dub25
11-20-2009, 12:49 AM
At this stage in his career, Henry Blanco is a backup catcher.

When was "The Mullet" ever a starter at any stage of his career?

tick53
11-22-2009, 11:28 AM
No. Let Flowers be the backup catcher. It's a perfect time for Tyler to get his major league experience and he can also DH one in a while. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the young Gordon Beckham kinda work out OK? This team needs to look at the young guys for the future. I don't want to see any Omar Visquels, Henry Blancos, Bobby Abreus or even Jim Thomes clogging up this team. It's not the old days. You don't have to keep a young guy with proven potential in the minors until he's in his late twenties anymore. Just because Ozzie likes somebody doesn't mean they should have automatically have a roster spot.

Sargeant79
11-22-2009, 01:26 PM
No. Let Flowers be the backup catcher. It's a perfect time for Tyler to get his major league experience and he can also DH one in a while. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the young Gordon Beckham kinda work out OK? This team needs to look at the young guys for the future. I don't want to see any Omar Visquels, Henry Blancos, Bobby Abreus or even Jim Thomes clogging up this team. It's not the old days. You don't have to keep a young guy with proven potential in the minors until he's in his late twenties anymore. Just because Ozzie likes somebody doesn't mean they should have automatically have a roster spot.

You can't compare Flowers to Beckham in terms of what is right for their development. Each prospect's development is a unique situation that needs to be evaluated by the organization on its individual merits. Beckham was ready when he was ready. Flowers will be ready when he is ready. That might be at the beginning of the season or maybe around mid-season, but more likely it will be in 2011.

My personal opinion: He's not yet ready to be the starter, and it would be most beneficial for him to play every day in the minors rather than 1-2 times a week in the majors. I'm not a scout though, so we'll see what the team thinks in a few months.

soxinem1
11-22-2009, 03:37 PM

Beckham played every day, Flowers would not.

He needs a lot of work and AJ needs a solid backup. Flowers has a better chance of developing at AAA than playing 2-3 days a week here.

Plus, Blanco has been a backup his entire career, one of the best in the last decade. It's not like he is robbing a 500 AB slot from someone.

spawn
11-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Beckham wa brought up to be a starter. Flowers would be the backup to AJ were he to make the team. Hard to gain experience if you're spending most of your time on the bench.

JermaineDye05
11-24-2009, 07:43 PM
a signing of Blanco makes more sense as I believe he was Peavy's catcher in San Diego last year.

JermaineDye05
11-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Mets reportedly close to a deal with Blanco.

Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/mets-in-talks-for-henry-blanco.html)

Will we ever have a decent backup catcher again?
I wouldn't mind Kenny going after Olivo but I get the feeling he'll cost too much.

WhiteSox5187
11-30-2009, 06:25 PM

Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/mets-in-talks-for-henry-blanco.html)

I wouldn't mind Kenny going after Olivo but I get the feeling he'll cost too much.

Would he even want to come back here after we ripped him apart when he left?

DirtySox
11-30-2009, 06:27 PM

Mets just signed Chris Coste.

http://twitter.com/joe_demayo/status/6215675660

JermaineDye05
11-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Mets just signed Chris Coste.

http://twitter.com/joe_demayo/status/6215675660

It doesn't sound like he's guaranteed to be their backup.

Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/mets-sign-chris-coste.html)

I doubt this means that they won't sign Blanco.

DirtySox
11-30-2009, 06:39 PM
It doesn't sound like he's guaranteed to be their backup.

Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/mets-sign-chris-coste.html)

I doubt this means that they won't sign Blanco.

Yea. I'm unsure if they need depth at the Catcher position. Maybe Coste and Blanco would battle for backup catcher behind Omir/FA signing. Josh Thole might be taking over as the starter sometime next year anyhow.

DirtySox
12-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Mets to sign Blanco.

http://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/status/6319439931

soxinem1
12-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Mets to sign Blanco.

http://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/status/6319439931

http://ihatethewhitesox.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/harrelson.jpg

'Dad Gummit!!'

Foulke You
12-03-2009, 07:02 PM
I wonder if KW would entertain the idea of bringing Ramon Castro back now. He did a decent job as a backup catcher. He also provided a little pop in his bat when he was in there. Any other decent veteran catchers still out there?

thomas35forever
12-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Oh well. There probably wouldn't have been a big deal made about a Blanco-to-Sox deal anyway.

russ99
12-03-2009, 08:11 PM
I wonder if KW would entertain the idea of bringing Ramon Castro back now. He did a decent job as a backup catcher. He also provided a little pop in his bat when he was in there. Any other decent veteran catchers still out there?

I think the $2.5-3M for Ramon Castro is the major reason why he wouldn't come back.

Kenny's probably looking for someone experienced around $1M, like with the rest of the recent bench signings.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I think the $2.5-3M for Ramon Castro is the major reason why he wouldn't come back.

Kenny's probably looking for someone experienced around $1M, like with the rest of the recent bench signings.

What's Chris Widger been up to these days?

LoveYourSuit
12-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Man, we couldn't afford $1.5 million?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Man, we couldn't afford $1.5 million?

Williams saw the backlash on WSI from the Vizquel deal, and vowed never to pay a backup that much money ever again.

soxinem1
12-04-2009, 01:45 PM
What's Chris Widger been up to these days?

I was thinking of bringing Chris Stewart back a third time!!:smile:

Or even Jack Parkman.........