PDA

View Full Version : Is Billy Wagner an Option?

HBaines03
11-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Does anyone think that the White Sox might be interested in Billy Wagner as closer for 1-2 yr deal? This would keep Thornton in the setup role and allow the White Sox to trade Bobby Jenks for potential trade chips in a offensive player deal. Just thinking out loud and wanted opinions. I know Wagner has the years of experience but is an injury concern now. I was curious if he would come cheaper than Jenks arbitration would be for a chance to close a year or 2 before retirement. Thoughts......

getonbckthr
11-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Does anyone think that the White Sox might be interested in Billy Wagner as closer for 1-2 yr deal? This would keep Thornton in the setup role and allow the White Sox to trade Bobby Jenks for potential trade chips in a offensive player deal. Just thinking out loud and wanted opinions. I know Wagner has the years of experience but is an injury concern now. I was curious if he would come cheaper than Jenks arbitration would be for a chance to close a year or 2 before retirement. Thoughts......
Well we did use Hermanson until we felt Jenks was ready. Who knows maybe Wagner for this year and part of next until a guy like Jhonny Nunez is ready or something.

jamokes
11-16-2009, 08:17 PM
I don't think he's totally proven that he is back for the injuries. But for the right price...............

Noneck
11-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Well we did use Hermanson until we felt Jenks was ready.

Jenks got his opportunity because of Hermansons injury, it wasnt waiting till Jenks was ready.

soxinem1
11-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Someone will offer Wagner a two-year deal and he has made it clear he wants to close again.

Since there are several contenders who need a closer or want to upgrade (PHI, DET, LAA, STL, TEX, just to name a few) I doubt KW will get him for some one or two million dollar, one-year deal. Plus, it appears Jenks will be with the team, so I wonder where he fits.

Watching him throw in a few games with NYM and BOS last year, I know he was dealing, and Tommy John surgery may give his arm new, extended life.

However, I do not recall any 39-year old pitchers having the TJ procedure.

He is really unchartered territory, so it will be interesting to see how he does wherever he goes.

But I really doubt he comes here.

palehozenychicty
11-16-2009, 11:32 PM
I would be open to Wagner for a couple of years. He does, however, tend to blow games. As someone said, I think he'll get a richer deal elsewhere.

Sargeant79
11-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Didn't I read something about him being a Type A free agent? If he is offered arbitration, I would stay away.

soxinem1
11-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Didn't I read something about him being a Type A free agent? If he is offered arbitration, I would stay away.

If BOS offers him arbitraion he will probably turn it down. He wants to close, and with Papelbon around that will not happen in Beantown.