PDA

View Full Version : Crede interview

neal
06-10-2002, 11:47 PM
Thought this might interest some of you...

KNIGHTS: You have had an impressive season thus far offensively. What have you been doing differently this year that has contributed to your improved performance?
CREDE: I haven't really changed anything dramatically from the past. I'm just trying to stick with my plan and my routine and concentrate on making solid contact up at the plate. What I've done has been working. Lenny is just too ignorant to see that.

KNIGHTS: What steps did you take to make sure the disappointment of not making the White Sox out of spring training did not affect your performance in Charlotte?
CREDE: Going into the spring I knew I wasn't going to make the White Sox team because of the guaranteed contracts so many of their players had, and I prepared myself for the reality that I would be returning to Charlotte again. In a situation like mine, you can't pout about being down here, you just have to keep playing hard and respect the game. ...Despite the fact that I obviously deserve to be playing major league ball.

KNIGHTS: Is there any specific area of your game you're concentrating on improving now?
CREDE: There isn't really anything in particular. I'm just trying to improve on every aspect. There's nothing I'm not trying to improve on, and I think every player would say the same thing, that there's always improvements to be made in everything and that you're never entirely satisfied with your performance.There isn't anything I need work on, just some major league playing time.

KNIGHTS: What has been the highlight of your career so far?
CREDE: Last year with the White Sox when I got to play in St. Louis, my hometown, in front of my family and friends and got a base hit late in the game with the bases loaded and two outs. And then the next day I also hit my first major league triple.I thought I would be up for a while then, but a few days later, I was sent to Charlotte.

KNIGHTS: Which person has had the greatest influence on your career thus far?
CREDE: My brother Brad, who's four yours older and played a few years in the Phillies' system. Growing up he was my hero and I really looked up to him. I emulated him in every way. I wanted to dress like him and listen to the same music as him. And he's someone that I always went to for advice when I was at a crossroads. In baseball, probably Chris Cron, who was my manager for three straight years in the minors. He was very easy to talk to and gave me valuable advice about the game and what I could expect as my career progressed.I still envy him everyday for signing with another organization.

KNIGHTS: You're older brother Brad played in the minors for the Phillies' and your younger brother Josh was drafted out of high school last year by the White Sox, but did not sign. Was there a lot of competition between the three of you growing up?
CREDE: Yes definitely, especially in the years when we were all at home together. We always played a lot when we were younger.

KNIGHTS: What advice did you give your brother Josh about signing after the White Sox drafted him?
CREDE: Josh was in a bad car accident his senior year in high school in December, which was two winters ago. He was in a coma for two weeks and when he came out of it, he couldn't talk or do anything. He would just lie there and stare out at nothing. Eventually he had to re-learn everything including how to talk. By that spring he was recovered enough to play on the baseball team, and he did ok, hitting about .280, but I think he was really drafted more as a courtesy to our family. He had some lingering effects from the accident, like having trouble remembering things, so signing with the White Sox was never really considered because it probably wouldn't have worked out.I remember the day I was drafted, he told me to stay the hell away from the Sox. Well, I didn't listen, and it's a move I still regret to this day.

KNIGHTS: Why did you decide to sign with the White Sox when they drafted you in 1996 instead of delaying the start of your pro career and going on to play college baseball.
CREDE: I had signed a letter of intent with Southwest Missouri State, which is where my older sister and brother Brad both were. With both of them in school and the fact that I was only offered about a half scholarship, it would've been difficult financially for my parents. Money certainly wasn't the only consideration, and my parents would've supported me in whatever I decided to do, but it was a contributing factor that made it easier to accept the White Sox's offer.The idea of playing in the majors was too difficult to deny. Too bad it hasn't happened yet.

KNIGHTS: If you weren't playing pro baseball, what do you think you'd be doing?
CREDE: Probably farming on my girlfriend's father's farm. My family used to have a farm, but we got out of it when I was only about three or four, so I don't really remember any of it. But I think if my career suddenly ended, that's what I'd like to do.Looks like I'll be there in a few years.

Tree
06-11-2002, 12:03 AM
Does this interview mean that if and when he becomes a FA he is gone? Right now I am ready to see him play in the bigs. He should be able to hit atleast what Valentin is. And he is a superior thirdbaseman.

neal
06-11-2002, 12:07 AM
The red stuff is what I added in. Hopefully by the time his contract ends, Lenny will be smart enough to bring him up.

pudge
06-11-2002, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the good laugh on another depressing night.

2002 Sox quickly becoming my most despised squad, right behind 1995...

SoxxoS
06-11-2002, 12:43 PM
Thanks for posting that. Its good to see him get a couple of shots on the organization and I hope they realize that its time to call him up.

Jerry_Manuel
06-11-2002, 01:52 PM
Nice to hear Joe's thoughts.

neal
06-11-2002, 02:32 PM
I'd rather have Crede over Weaver

idseer
06-11-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Tree
Does this interview mean that if and when he becomes a FA he is gone? Right now I am ready to see him play in the bigs. He should be able to hit atleast what Valentin is. And he is a superior thirdbaseman.

sounds to me like he and buehrle may be moving to st louis together!