PDA

View Full Version : *Official* New Uniforms for 2010 Thread

Brian26
11-12-2009, 09:10 PM
The Twins are scheduled to unveil new uniforms. It was originally supposed to happen this week, but it may have been pushed back.

The batting practice hats are supposed to be completely re-designed for 2010.

These two new hats, KC and Minnesota, were leaked on the New Era site before being taken down:

http://idn.efashionsolutions.com/asset/image/format/NE-ex/id/NE-PERFACKANALT_ltblueroyal_front

http://idn.efashionsolutions.com/asset/image/format/NE-ex/id/NE-PERFACMINRD2_navyred_front

TommyJohn
11-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I wonder if the Twins will be going back to the classic look-the cursive "Twins" script across the jerjeys that they had for so long.

mzh
11-12-2009, 09:44 PM
I see no difference between the new and old Twins cap. Care to elaborate?

Brian26
11-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I see no difference between the new and old Twins cap. Care to elaborate?

The Twins wear two versions of that TC cap now. One is completely blue, the other has a red crown with a blue bill.

The blue crown/red bill design is new...similar to the Indians hats. I saw some Twins fans complaining that the hat looks too similar to an old Toledo Indians minor league hat....not sure if that is true.

Noir
11-12-2009, 10:14 PM
I wonder if the Twins will be going back to the classic look-the cursive "Twins" script across the jerjeys that they had for so long.

Maybe as an alt, but their main unis will have an updated Twins script they have been using.

chisox616
11-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Those KC hats are incredible. Wow.

DSpivack
11-13-2009, 12:07 AM
I wish the Twins would switch back to their old script M logo, I like that better than the Twin Cities one. The TC to me looks like the Reds plus the Rangers.

aryzner
11-13-2009, 08:54 AM
The batting practice hats are supposed to be completely re-designed for 2010.
Thank the heavens.

I really liked the silver-billed White Sox BP caps (I have one) but the recent ones with the white trim going around the ear looked terrible in my opinion. (I don't have nor want one of those.) Honestly I think I'd love the hat without the white trim.

doublem23
11-13-2009, 09:13 AM
I wish the Twins would switch back to their old script M logo, I like that better than the Twin Cities one. The TC to me looks like the Reds plus the Rangers.

I agree, I think the TC logo would look better as a sleeve patch, I much prefer the old M.

MeteorsSox4367
11-13-2009, 10:30 AM
With the powder blue hats introduced by the Royals, expect to see a lot of people who couldn't tell you who the hell George Brett was to be wearing the hats.

I like the simple blue and white ones they have now.

KenBerryGrab
11-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Always hated the "M" hat. The "TC" is the classic look, evokes memories of The Killer, Tony Olivo, Mudcat Grant and Kitty Kaat.

johnnyg83
11-13-2009, 10:37 AM
I pray the Twins get rid of the awful "away pinstripes." No one should wear pinstripes on the road and the damn nameplate looks ridiculous as it breaks the line of the pinstripes ... which is true of both home and away, I know, but looks more pronounced to me on the aways.

Which leads me to another rant ... why do Major League teams use nameplates? I understand they're convenient, but they look bush league. If one team can do without them, they all can.

johnnyg83
11-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Always hated the "M" hat. The "TC" is the classic look, evokes memories of The Killer, Tony Olivo, Mudcat Grant and Kitty Kaat.

Seconded.

The M looks dated. The TC is classic.

Bobby Thigpen
11-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Thank the heavens.

I really liked the silver-billed White Sox BP caps (I have one) but the recent ones with the white trim going around the ear looked terrible in my opinion. (I don't have nor want one of those.) Honestly I think I'd love the hat without the white trim.
I'm not a fan of the look, but that's my favorite hat. It fits and feels amazing. I look forward to buying a couple more on clearance.

ewokpelts
11-13-2009, 12:00 PM
I HATE the TC hats....much prefer the M hats....

oh, and changing uniforms is a stupid move by the twinkies.....

russ99
11-13-2009, 12:11 PM
I like the Twins makeover. Move outdoors and change the look.

I'm in agreement with the classic style of the TC hat and some modernized version of the 60's Twins script.

The M hat and the "WIN" Twins jerseys are so late 80s-early 90s.

Red Barchetta
11-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Thank the heavens.

I agree. One of my favorite SOX caps is the older BP hat with the grey/silver brim. It fits great compared to the current BP cap that has a funkier curved brim. I have one because it's black on black with the white trim, but some of the other team BP caps look like the players are wearing du-rags under their caps. Like the Cubs red/blue. Ack! :scratch:

I think the Twins will probably go back to the retro uniforms they wore on occassion this past season and switch between the blue/red and red/blue caps depending on uniform. The "M" might be gone completely.

The KC hats look OK, however I think their alternative retro road powder blue jersey looks bad with the white pants.

DSpivack
11-13-2009, 02:04 PM
I pray the Twins get rid of the awful "away pinstripes." No one should wear pinstripes on the road and the damn nameplate looks ridiculous as it breaks the line of the pinstripes ... which is true of both home and away, I know, but looks more pronounced to me on the aways.

Which leads me to another rant ... why do Major League teams use nameplates? I understand they're convenient, but they look bush league. If one team can do without them, they all can.

I'll second this remark. Glad that the Sox sew the names on instead of having a nameplate. Nameplates make uniforms look amateur.

Nellie_Fox
11-13-2009, 02:30 PM
I HATE the TC hats....much prefer the M hats....I've never liked the M hats, have always preferred the TC. Can't make everybody happy!

twsoxfan5
11-13-2009, 02:57 PM
I've never liked the M hats, have always preferred the TC. Can't make everybody happy!

+1, Love the TC hat, hate the M one.

ewokpelts
11-13-2009, 03:28 PM
I've never liked the M hats, have always preferred the TC. Can't make everybody happy!it's the hat they won two world titles in... and it was designed to go with thie rcurrent uniform. it would be like the sox using thier current uniforms with the 83 style hats.

oeo
11-13-2009, 04:19 PM
it's the hat they won two world titles in... and it was designed to go with thie rcurrent uniform. it would be like the sox using thier current uniforms with the 83 style hats.

Yeah, almost. :scratch:

WhiteSox5187
11-13-2009, 06:52 PM
I like that Royals hat, but I hope they don't wear it too much. I like their current uniform look...now if only the Mets could get rid of the black...

BleacherBandit
11-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I like that Royals hat, but I hope they don't wear it too much. I like their current uniform look...now if only the Mets could get rid of the black...

I think it's meant to be worn with their powder-blue alternatives. I always thought it looked ridiculous when they were wearing those with the royal-blue hat this season. It hurt my eyes.

However, I hate the idea of the Royals wearing powder-blue. They're the "Royals". Wear royal-blue.

About the TC hat. I think that's more clever and unique than just using the ugly M hat. It's a classic, and it goes well with their current uniforms.

Brian26
11-13-2009, 07:44 PM
However, I hate the idea of the Royals wearing powder-blue. They're the "Royals". Wear royal-blue.

I don't mind teams like KC or Toronto wearing the powder blue throwbacks, but they should do so on the road, as they were originally intended to be worn. They should also wear the powder blue pants with them too.

chisox616
11-13-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't mind teams like KC or Toronto wearing the powder blue throwbacks, but they should do so on the road, as they were originally intended to be worn. They should also wear the powder blue pants with them too.

Doesn't Toronto wear powder blue pants? I thought they did with their excellent hat throwback. It's a shame that hat is considered a throwback...

WhiteSox5187
11-13-2009, 09:14 PM
I have to say, I'm very impressed that we've scooped uniwatch on this news.

Brian26
11-13-2009, 09:17 PM
I have to say, I'm very impressed that we've scooped uniwatch on this news.

I stole the news from Chris Creamer's site.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/

The Twins official new uniform unveiling is set for Monday.

SaltyPretzel
11-14-2009, 01:44 PM
I'll second this remark. Glad that the Sox sew the names on instead of having a nameplate. Nameplates make uniforms look amateur.

I think they look good on hockey jerseys; I mean sweaters. :wink:

skobabe8
11-15-2009, 11:35 PM
I can't see changes being too dramatic. The new signage around Target Field looks like the Twins script is the same from previous years.

:scratch:

Noir
11-15-2009, 11:41 PM
I can't see changes being too dramatic. The new signage around Traget Field looks like the Twins script is the same from previous years.

:scratch:

skobabe, it's different. It's just a streamlined version of what they already have. The Twinkies have a new road uni sans pinstripes and a new alt. Their home uniform will basically go untouched minus the new script.

ewokpelts
11-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Doesn't Toronto wear powder blue pants? I thought they did with their excellent hat throwback. It's a shame that hat is considered a throwback...it wa sone of teh best hat designs out there.....even the mid 90's update wasnt bad......

Nellie_Fox
11-16-2009, 02:32 PM
it wa sone of teh best...Slow down the magic fingers.

eriqjaffe
11-16-2009, 02:36 PM
FWIW,

http://stmedia.startribune.com/documents/MT2010_UNIFORMS.pdf?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUia cyKUUr

edit: Forgot to mention that it's a PDF.

MinnySoxFan
11-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Wow. 4 "Home" Uniforms and 1 "Away". Give me a break. :?:

FloridaTigers
11-16-2009, 03:17 PM

Seriously, its an overkill. One home, one away, and one alt/throwback is ok. No need for THREE alts. I loved the throwbacks they wore last year, should've just stuck with those.

gregoriop
11-16-2009, 03:20 PM

And none of the home uniforms have built-in sweaters/thermal underwear.

oeo
11-16-2009, 03:23 PM
I like their new road uniforms, always thought the pinstripes looked lame. Also, their third alternate home uniform is the best of the bunch, IMO. What is different about the script on the other home uniforms? :scratch:

PaleHoser
11-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Seriously, its an overkill. One home, one away, and one alt/throwback is ok. No need for THREE alts. I loved the throwbacks they wore last year, should've just stuck with those.

Don't forget three caps too, along with the "Inaugural Season" shield on each cap. The Twins team shop (http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3915293) has some pictures of jerseys, caps and the shield.

I think the road jersey is an upgrade over what they had, and wouldn't mind it at all if they went with the throwback for their home jersey. It would look even better if they brought it back in a flannel.

The "alternate" cap ("M") should have been retired with the stadium move.

ewokpelts
11-16-2009, 04:09 PM
wow...the road jersey is UGLY......at least the dreaded "m" hat lives on....

Red Barchetta
11-16-2009, 06:45 PM
The two separate home pinstripes with different "Twins" script is overkill IMO. I like their alternate (non-pinstripe) home uniforms from this past season a lot better. Same with the Phillies.

BleacherBandit
11-16-2009, 06:58 PM
The away looks almost identical to the Washington away.

Jerko
11-16-2009, 07:02 PM
I didn't mind the away sweater.

Brian26
11-16-2009, 07:30 PM
What is different about the script on the other home uniforms? :scratch:

I don't see the difference either. Looks identical to me. Are the letters slightly bigger or moved to the left a bit?

The "alternate" cap ("M") should have been retired with the stadium move.

I've always thought if a team wins a World Series in a jersey, they should keep that set of uniforms. That's why I hope the Sox never switch their road unis.

wow...the road jersey is UGLY......at least the dreaded "m" hat lives on....

Steve Dahl's classic line about the hat and their wordmark during the '87 World Series was that it looked like a candy bar logo.

The away looks almost identical to the Washington away.

I agree. Looks way too similar to the Nats road unis.

:rolling:

kaufsox
11-16-2009, 09:19 PM

now that is a classic KC look. Do away with the road grays, keep home whites and blue for away. For good measure put the Cardinals back in away blue too! :D:

GoGoCrede
11-16-2009, 09:36 PM

I would like to marry this post. :redneck

Twins_Morneau
11-16-2009, 11:46 PM
I was just glad they got rid of the awful road gray/pinstripe uniform. Not much change in the home uni's but atleast they got rid of the old road ones.

I'll be needing to order me both new ones.

downstairs
11-17-2009, 01:52 PM
One of these days we're going to see a team with so many alts and combos for pants/jersey/hat that they'll have a different uniform every game.

One home, one road, one alt. Then sprinkle in a throwback or two for ONE GAME ONLY each.

Nellie_Fox
11-17-2009, 03:07 PM
One of these days we're going to see a team with so many alts and combos for pants/jersey/hat that they'll have a different uniform every game.
http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1978_pittsburgh_01.gif http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1973_oakland_01.gif

KMcMahon817
11-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Here's a link to a video of the the Twins new uniforms.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091116&content_id=7672860&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

gregoriop
11-17-2009, 03:42 PM
http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1978_pittsburgh_01.gif

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or did they really wear brown and yellow at the same time?

Red Barchetta
11-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or did they really wear brown and yellow at the same time?

It was gold and black. I think the Pirates had 9 different combinations. The squared off, old style hats with stripes were also pretty wild. I think 1975-1985 quite possibly might be the worst era for baseball uniforms in it's history. Some that come to mind include:

- SOX pajamas w/shorts
- Houston Astros Rainbow Uniforms
- Pittsburgh Pirates collection (above)
- Cubs road power blue with white pinstripe road uniforms
- Padres Brown/Yellow "McDonalds" uniforms

eriqjaffe
11-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Or then there's this:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/pictures/timeline_1979.jpg

Originally intended as a "Saturday Night Special" jersey in '79, the reaction was so bad that it only got worn once.

Of course, that means that Greg Luzinski had to wear that - yowza!

If that's not bad enough, the Orioles wore these for two games in 1971:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1219/1162623929_02d2ab256a_o.png

Pear-Zin-Ski
11-17-2009, 03:54 PM
The road unis look kinda neat. Little bit like our own unis in the late eighties.

I'm a sucker for any type of throwbacks, so for me the Twinkees' throwbacks are very neat. Can't believe I'm saying that!

Nellie_Fox
11-17-2009, 03:59 PM
No, as was stated, it was black and gold. But these guys took care of the brown and yellow for you:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1973_sandiego_01.gif http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1978_sandiego_01.gif

Red Barchetta
11-17-2009, 04:01 PM
The road unis look kinda neat. Little bit like our own unis in the late eighties.

I'm a sucker for any type of throwbacks, so for me the Twinkees' throwbacks are very neat. Can't believe I'm saying that!

It seems as though the "Twins" script for the Saturday, old-school home alternates matches the "Minnesota" script on the new road uniforms. The regular Home Jerseys, the sleeveless version and the blue alternate all have the current Twins script. I guess they will only wear the "M" hat when wearing the blue home alternate. I wonder if they plan to wear the blue home alternate on the road as well?

C-Dawg
11-17-2009, 04:48 PM
- SOX pajamas w/shorts

As always, that one game with the shorts gets mentioned. :rolleyes:

I still think, that the 1976-1981 jersey would look fine if it wasn't a pullover. Poor Bill Veeck; he anticipated the "retro" fad a couple decades before anyone else, but he went too far retro. That uniform design has never gotten any respect.

KMcMahon817
11-17-2009, 05:05 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1219/1162623929_02d2ab256a_o.png

I actually think those uni's are pretty sweet.

eriqjaffe
11-17-2009, 05:08 PM
I actually think those uni's are pretty sweet.For hunting, or performing road construction, maybe. It's a little too...bright...for baseball.

ewokpelts
11-18-2009, 12:37 AM
I don't see the difference either. Looks identical to me. Are the letters slightly bigger or moved to the left a bit?

I've always thought if a team wins a World Series in a jersey, they should keep that set of uniforms. That's why I hope the Sox never switch their road unis.

Steve Dahl's classic line about the hat and their wordmark during the '87 World Series was that it looked like a candy bar logo.

I agree. Looks way too similar to the Nats road unis.

:rolling:i dont pay attention to steve dahl.

russ99
11-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Or then there's this:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/pictures/timeline_1979.jpg

Originally intended as a "Saturday Night Special" jersey in '79, the reaction was so bad that it only got worn once.

Of course, that means that Greg Luzinski had to wear that - yowza!

If that's not bad enough, the Orioles wore these for two games in 1971:

Cleveland had something just as hideous in the mid-70's (http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1975_cleveland.gif&Entryid=1278)

SOXPHILE
11-18-2009, 10:13 AM
It was gold and black. I think the Pirates had 9 different combinations. The squared off, old style hats with stripes were also pretty wild.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1978_pittsburgh_01.gif

Correct. They had the 5 combos you see there, plus black pants/yellow shirt, pinstripe shirt/yellow pants, pinstripe pants/black shirt, pinstripe pants/yellow shirt. I'm pretty sure I saw some of those too during the 70's and early 80's. Plus, if you could multiply that by 2 for those all yellow with black pinstripes, or all black with yellow pinstripes pillbox hats. 18 combo possibilities !

C-Dawg
11-18-2009, 10:37 AM

LOL Perfect analogy; the logo never looked very "baseballish" to me, always seemed like some sort of gum or something.

Red Barchetta
11-18-2009, 11:39 AM
LOL Perfect analogy; the logo never looked very "baseballish" to me, always seemed like some sort of gum or something.

Isn't the "M" styled to be the "W" of Twins upside down? It looks just like it. I wonder if that was designed that way or just an accident? (Just in case you ever saw a player upside down and needed to know what team he was on.)

johnnyg83
11-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Any other rumored changes (other than Twins)?

PaleHoser
11-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Mets are changing their home pinstripes to a design that will be "inspired by the early years of the franchise".

Link (http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091124&content_id=7711432&vkey=news_nym&fext=.jsp&c_id=nym)

Pictures will be available on Friday (if not sooner) since that's when you can order jerseys from mlb.com. Just in time for the holidays.

cards press box
11-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Would love to see the Sox bring back the home red pinstripes of the early '70's as an alternate home uniform. That would be outstanding!

Medford Bobby
11-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Would love to see the Sox bring back the home red pinstripes of the early '70's as an alternate home uniform. That would be outstanding!
"Yea but the White Sox never won anything those years and almost nobody remembers that era anymore....."

Your White Sox PR response....:angry:

Nellie_Fox
11-25-2009, 01:57 AM
Why are people always wanting to tinker with the Sox' uniform? It's just fine the way it is. There is no need for an alternate with completely different colors. They've finally started establishing some continuity and tradition with this uniform.

JermaineDye05
11-25-2009, 02:15 AM
Why are people always wanting to tinker with the Sox' uniform? It's just fine the way it is. There is no need for an alternate with completely different colors. They've finally started establishing some continuity and tradition with this uniform.

Fine, we can leave the colors alone.

However, I will not rest until they bring back shorts.

If you cannot tell, I'm being facetious.

ewokpelts
11-25-2009, 03:14 AM
"Yea but the White Sox never won anything those years and almost nobody remembers that era anymore....."

Your White Sox PR response....:angry:retro unis bring in more revenue from merchandise sales....brook sis dropping the ball on this one

cards press box
11-25-2009, 03:38 AM

I agree that the current white pinstripe home uniform and road gray (and even the alternate black top) are great. I certainly want to see the Sox keep them.

A number of teams (e.g., the Brewers, Blue Jays, Phillies and now apparently the Mets) employ an old uniform style as an alternate jersey. Some teams, such as the Blue Jays and Phillies, use alternates whose color schemes differ from their current uniforms. I think it's a great concept and only suggested that the Sox use the home red pinstripe from the Bill Melton/Dick Allen/Wilbur Wood as an alternate home jersey.

Your White Sox PR response....:angry:

I see your point. Still, the 1972 Sox gave the soon to be three time world champion Oakland A's a good run for their money. If Bill Melton hadn't gotten hurt, I still think that Sox team might have won the World Series.

Beyond that, the Sox had a great run from 1951 through 1967 but fell on hard times between '68 and '70. Attendance was not good and, in fact, Bud Selig wanted to buy the Sox and move them to Milwaukee. The Dick Allen/Bill Melton teams in the red pinstripes rejuvenated the franchise when it needed it most. Actually, those teams did more than rejuvenate the franchise; they saved the franchise. Honoring them now with an alternate home uniform would be a great gesture.

doublem23
11-25-2009, 06:17 AM
Can't find any pics just yet, but the Mets announced that they are going to be donning new, pinstriped uniforms at home next season, harking back to their earlier years.

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091124&content_id=7711432&vkey=news_nym&fext=.jsp&c_id=nym

Nellie_Fox
11-25-2009, 11:31 AM
I agree that the current white pinstripe home uniform and road gray (and even the alternate black top) are great. I certainly want to see the Sox keep them.Unfortunately, "alternates" tend to get severely overused. The black top has practically become the main uniform, home and away.

WhiteSox5187
11-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Can't find any pics just yet, but the Mets announced that they are going to be donning new, pinstriped uniforms at home next season, harking back to their earlier years.

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091124&content_id=7711432&vkey=news_nym&fext=.jsp&c_id=nym

As Paul Lukas at uniwatch noted today, they screwed up by adding that damned black dropshadow to the uniform and they hardly ever wear pinstripes anymore. Too bad because that '69 uniform was a beauty!

The Mets REALLY need to drop black as a color. It's just a hideous look.

BleacherBandit
11-25-2009, 01:21 PM
As Paul Lukas at uniwatch noted today, they screwed up by adding that damned black dropshadow to the uniform and they hardly ever wear pinstripes anymore. Too bad because that '69 uniform was a beauty!

The Mets REALLY need to drop black as a color. It's just a hideous look.

Although I have always thought that the Mets shoud wear pinstripes because they look really good in them and plus, they've won both of their world series wearing them. However, I can understand why they wouldn't want to wear pinstripes because of the Yankees.

WhiteSox5187
11-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Although I have always thought that the Mets shoud wear pinstripes because they look really good in them and plus, they've won both of their world series wearing them. However, I can understand why they wouldn't want to wear pinstripes because of the Yankees.

Fine, then get rid of the damned black! The Mets wearing black is about as silly as when the Sox used red as their dominant color. It makes no sense!

johnnyg83
11-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Fine, then get rid of the damned black! The Mets wearing black is about as silly as when the Sox used red as their dominant color. It makes no sense!

Agreed.

Black as a trim/3rd color is soooo late 90s.

Bobby Thigpen
11-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Black is the new black.

Red Barchetta
11-26-2009, 10:07 AM
I really liked the Tom Seaver era Mets uniforms. The Dodger Blue and Giant Orange combo is a nice salute to former NY teams. I agree about the pinstipes, however it's a weak argument considering both the Cubs and SOX wear pinstripes and there is no personality conflict in Chicago.

If not the pinstripes, go with the single piping uniforms that they wear. Anything to get rid of the black/blue hats and the fugly batting helmets.

shes
11-26-2009, 05:53 PM
I wish this was still the Mets home uni:

http://images.wikia.com/openserving/sports/images/6/65/1986mets.jpg

One of my all-time favorite unis.

WhiteSox5187
11-26-2009, 10:18 PM
I wish this was still the Mets home uni:

http://images.wikia.com/openserving/sports/images/6/65/1986mets.jpg

One of my all-time favorite unis.

I prefer the unis they wore in 1969 but anything to get rid of the damn black crap they wear now.

PaleHoser
12-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Giants have a new alternate cap. File this one under "what's old is new again (http://www.hatclub.com/sports-baseball-teams-san-francisco-giants/ac-giants-alt-13435)".

I wonder if they'll recycle the orange (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/jack_clark_autograph.jpg) or black (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/gary_lavelle_autograph.jpg) jersey with the "Giants" in cursive script from the late 70's/early 80's to go with it?

PaleHoser
12-21-2009, 10:37 AM
The Padres will be wearing throwbacks for their Thursday afternoon home games. No pictures, but "brown and mustard" never looked good anyway.

Link (http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091219&content_id=7832006&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd)

hi im skot
12-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Today's Uniwatch has this interesting tidbit:

[T]here will be a change in the shading of all gray jerseys worn by Major League Baseball Teams. We are talking about the color of the gray jersey tops and the pants here, nothing more.”

Original source is here (http://nats320.blogspot.com/2009/12/new-red-curly-w-batting-practice-cap.html).

Nellie_Fox
12-22-2009, 01:52 AM

Original source is here (http://nats320.blogspot.com/2009/12/new-red-curly-w-batting-practice-cap.html).I wonder what the heck that means. Currently, teams use many different shades of gray; are they all going to be required to use the same shade?

TheOldRoman
12-22-2009, 10:00 AM
I wonder what the heck that means. Currently, teams use many different shades of gray; are they all going to be required to use the same shade?Yes. They have had a problem matching the Coolbase material for the jerseys to the pants. While there have been 5 or 6 different shades of gray used the last several years, there has only been one shade of coolbase gray. Of course, many teams had pants that didn't match the jerseys. This is to standardize it.

It took them a couple of years to get the gray to even come close to matching the pants. I think need to either fix or drop the Coolbase. Limiting teams to one shade of gray isn't a solution. The underarm gussetts look ridiculous on pinstriped jerseys. I think they discolor easily, too. In the playoffs I noticed several Phillies whose armpits looked khaki colored instead of gray. It looked horrible. Unless they can get them to look uniform, they need to dump them. This isn't a safety or performance advance, it is a comfort advance. I am not going to feel sorry for a player having to wear a doubleknit jersey in 90 degree weather when players 40 years ago were wearing wool. They can live with it.

beasly213
12-22-2009, 10:31 AM

:redneck Says the person wearing a red colored sox hat in their sig.

Red Barchetta
12-25-2009, 10:43 PM

Original source is here (http://nats320.blogspot.com/2009/12/new-red-curly-w-batting-practice-cap.html).

I'm more excited that there will be new batting practice hats. I really don't like the current "ear trim" versions (although our SOX hats looks OK with the black ear trim, unlike the fugly Cubs versions with the red trim).

I understand where MLB is going with the gray uniforms. I also agree the coolmax underarm paneled shirts need to go away. The pinstripes look dumb with these underarm patches.

I also noticed a few years ago when the SOX wore the pinstripe home vests that come July/August the white pinstripe vest tops looked brighter than the white pinstripe pants, probably because the pants were worn with all three home tops; pinstripe w/sleeves, pinstripe sleeveless and the black alternate. I also noticed the road grey tops looked a little brighter than the road grey pants.

MARTINMVP
12-26-2009, 12:30 AM
I hate how often the Sox wear their alternates. They look super badass, but when they were them all the time like they did this past season, they lose their specialty. Their home uniforms and road uniforms are among the best. Utilize them!

And NO, I do NOT want to see alternates and throwbacks evolve to where most teams are wearing a different uniform to each day of the week, or close to it. From a merchandise standpoint, it may make sense, but I think it kills part of the traditional aspect of the game. That said, the merchandise advantage will probably win over vs. the traditionalists.

PaleHoser
01-06-2010, 10:20 AM
The Marlins are dropping "Florida" from their grey road jerseys in preparation for renaming the franchise to "Miami Marlins" when they move to their new stadium in 2012.

Images can be viewed here (http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100105&content_id=7875484&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla).

Whappeh
01-06-2010, 01:46 PM
As a resident of the state of FL, I'm actually kind of mad that they are changing their name to Miami.

DSpivack
01-06-2010, 02:31 PM
As a resident of the state of FL, I'm actually kind of mad that they are changing their name to Miami.

Why? Florida has two teams. And since they're moving down to Miami, that makes sense to me.

Whappeh
01-06-2010, 02:32 PM
I don't know. I always felt like the Marlins represented FL, the Rays were Tampa's team. I hate the Rays, but always kind of liked the Marlins. Something about the name change to the Miami Marlins just feels like they are being taken away from "Florida".

Red Barchetta
01-07-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't know. I always felt like the Marlins represented FL, the Rays were Tampa's team. I hate the Rays, but always kind of liked the Marlins. Something about the name change to the Miami Marlins just feels like they are being taken away from "Florida".

I live near Tampa/St. Pete and I have no problem with the Marlins changing their name to represent and promote the city they are playing in. The Rays proposed something similar when they had their new ballpark design in front of the state legislature. Although they did not mention changing their name to "The St. Petersburg Rays", the ballpark renditions did have a "St. Petersburg" design mowed into the outfield grass. They also dropped "Tampa Bay" from their road unis as well and now display "Rays".

I think as MLB continues to mature in Florida, teams are starting to draw geographically vs. targeting a wider audience. I like the sound of "Tampa Bay Rays" and although I know their target market is the entire Tampa Bay area (St. Pete, Tampa, Sarasota, Brandon, Lakeland and perhaps even Orlando), I could see them also changing their name to the "Tampa Rays" or "St. Petersburg Rays" in the event they work out a new ballpark deal with one of those two cities.

I think changing the name to Miami Marlins is a small price to pay for getting a new publically financed ballpark.

cards press box
01-08-2010, 06:14 PM
I live near Tampa/St. Pete and I have no problem with the Marlins changing their name to represent and promote the city they are playing in. The Rays proposed something similar when they had their new ballpark design in front of the state legislature. Although they did not mention changing their name to "The St. Petersburg Rays", the ballpark renditions did have a "St. Petersburg" design mowed into the outfield grass. They also dropped "Tampa Bay" from their road unis as well and now display "Rays".

I think as MLB continues to mature in Florida, teams are starting to draw geographically vs. targeting a wider audience. I like the sound of "Tampa Bay Rays" and although I know their target market is the entire Tampa Bay area (St. Pete, Tampa, Sarasota, Brandon, Lakeland and perhaps even Orlando), I could see them also changing their name to the "Tampa Rays" or "St. Petersburg Rays" in the event they work out a new ballpark deal with one of those two cities.

I think changing the name to Miami Marlins is a small price to pay for getting a new publically financed ballpark.

Are the Rays getting a new ballpark in the next couple of years or did that fall through?

DSpivack
01-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Plus, Miami Marlins is alliterative.

Railsplitter
01-08-2010, 07:21 PM
If only the Marlins would go back to teal. Seriously, it made them unique

MtGrnwdSoxFan
01-08-2010, 07:53 PM

Agreed, I would actually buy a teal Marlins jersey. Even if it was something like http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/Marlins.jpg, it'd look good.

I'm a big fan of colorful jerseys, such as:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/CarPanthers.jpg
- the Panther blue Carolina Panthers jersey

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/ColoradoRockies.jpg
- back when the Colorado Rockies had purple jerseys, I loved those

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/Dodgers.jpg
- Dodger blue Dodgers jerseys with white script

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/Angels.jpg
- the red Angels alternates

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/Royalsalternates.jpg
- Royals black jersey with blue lettering

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/OAK-ALTB.gif
-A's black jersey with green lettering

I just think all those jerseys look sharp, and I would buy one just because I think it looks good.

Red Barchetta
01-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Are the Rays getting a new ballpark in the next couple of years or did that fall through?

It fell through. Not enough support even though the plan involved no public tax dollars. I liked the idea that it was a waterfront ballpark, however I think the Marlins have a better plan with a retractable roof. The Rays proposal was for an outdoor ballpark with a retractable, sail-like roof to cover it when it rained. That probably made it a harder sell. Either plan is better than the current enclosed can design of Tropicana.

WhiteSox5187
01-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Agreed, I would actually buy a teal Marlins jersey. Even if it was something like http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/Marlins.jpg, it'd look good.

I just think all those jerseys look sharp, and I would buy one just because I think it looks good.

I can not stand those alternate black jerseys, especially with teams that previously had no history of black in their uniform (ie Royals, Mets and A's).

MtGrnwdSoxFan
01-08-2010, 09:54 PM
I can not stand those alternate black jerseys, especially with teams that previously had no history of black in their uniform (ie Royals, Mets and A's).

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

I'd buy one...but then, I like black uniforms.

Noir
01-08-2010, 10:30 PM

Officially, the Rockies still have the purple alt, even though they never use it. As for the Fish, theyre dropping the teal for '12.

Nellie_Fox
01-09-2010, 02:15 AM
Officially, the Rockies still have the purple alt, even though they never use it. As for the Fish, theyre dropping the teal for '12.Teal was trendy. The trend is over.

Frater Perdurabo
01-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Teal was trendy. The trend is over.

Teal jumped the Shark in San José.

Shoeless
01-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Officially, the Rockies still have the purple alt, even though they never use it. As for the Fish, theyre dropping the teal for '12.

In favor of what? Black? That's really sad.

DSpivack
01-09-2010, 12:01 PM

Teal was trendy. The trend is over.

I guess they got tired of the sarcasm. :redneck

It fell through. Not enough support even though the plan involved no public tax dollars. I liked the idea that it was a waterfront ballpark, however I think the Marlins have a better plan with a retractable roof. The Rays proposal was for an outdoor ballpark with a retractable, sail-like roof to cover it when it rained. That probably made it a harder sell. Either plan is better than the current enclosed can design of Tropicana.

I couldn't decide if that design was a joke, or very unique and cool.

Red Barchetta
01-09-2010, 12:19 PM

Now that I've lived in Florida a few years, I'm really surprised neither of the the Rays or the Marlins have jumped onto the Florida Gators Blue/Orange color scheme. I see those jerseys, hats, shirts, etc. everywhere. I can't image the University has a copyright on color schemes.

I think a blue pinstripe uniform/hat with orange trim/bills, etc. would look good. Sort of like the Broncos of baseball.

Noir
01-09-2010, 12:34 PM
In favor of what? Black? That's really sad.

Loria hasn't said a thing about it, but based of the new HR celebration that the Fish unveiled not too long ago, (it was covered in a separate thread here), i'm guessing its gonna be royal, black and silver

EDIT: IMO, the Teal that the Fish use, should always be used, they should have used more of it.

DSpivack
01-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Now that I've lived in Florida a few years, I'm really surprised neither of the the Rays or the Marlins have jumped onto the Florida Gators Blue/Orange color scheme. I see those jerseys, hats, shirts, etc. everywhere. I can't image the University has a copyright on color schemes.

I think a blue pinstripe uniform/hat with orange trim/bills, etc. would look good. Sort of like the Broncos of baseball.

Seems a little weird to change your color scheme to match a division rival.

Red Barchetta
01-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Seems a little weird to change your color scheme to match a division rival.

Sort of like when the White Sox changed to Navy/Red in the late 80s to match the color scheme of the Twins and Indians. The only difference between their Navy Blue/Red Bill hats were the logos.

I don't think the Gator colors would be confused with the Mets (in the Marlins case) as they wear too much black already. As to the Rays, I don't see that color scheme in the AL, but their current home unis look very similar to the Padres home unis.

Nellie_Fox
01-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Teal jumped the Shark in San José.Nicely played.

oeo
01-10-2010, 03:22 AM
I couldn't decide if that design was a joke, or very unique and cool.

I thought it was awesome. I wish it would have went through.

Thome25
01-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Does anyone know if there is any news on the new batting practice caps that every team is to wear in 2010?

The batting practice caps have been my favorite in fit/comfort since the black White Sox bp caps with the silver bills came out several years ago.

PaleHoser
01-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Does anyone know if there is any news on the new batting practice caps that every team is to wear in 2010?

New BP caps can be found here (http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3971623&cp=3971623&view=all).

eriqjaffe
01-18-2010, 12:35 PM
New BP caps can be found here (http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3971623&cp=3971623&view=all).Interesting how the Indians' BP cap is the throwback "C".

johnnyg83
01-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Except for a couple that look more like throwbacks, I loathe them.

MiamiSpartan
01-26-2010, 01:01 PM

You live in Orlando....
That's not Marlin's territory..
As a resident of the Miami area, I am THRILLED they are changing the name to Miami, which is what they should have been called at the beginning except for Wayne's dislike of Dade County...

MiamiSpartan
01-26-2010, 01:03 PM

There are some rumours down here about them possibly changing colors...not sure what they would change them to, tho...

johnnyg83
01-26-2010, 01:44 PM
they should change them to the dolphins colors (w/o the navy) ... aqua and orange is representative of that area of the country. And maybe add silver for the color of the marlin.

ewokpelts
01-26-2010, 02:22 PM
they should change them to the dolphins colors (w/o the navy) ... aqua and orange is representative of that area of the country. And maybe add silver for the color of the marlin.considering how the dolphins continue to **** the marlins in regards to money, why should they take thier colors?

johnnyg83
01-27-2010, 12:19 AM
considering how the dolphins continue to **** the marlins in regards to money, why should they take thier colors?

They should pick the colors because they represent southern florida/miami -- aqua for ocean/orange for sun.

And the Marlins made between $44 million and $35 million in operating profit from 2006-2008.

johnnyg83
02-08-2010, 05:28 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2709/4336532094_c7cdffee14_m.jpg

MARTINMVP
02-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I HATE the TC hats....much prefer the M hats....

oh, and changing uniforms is a stupid move by the twinkies.....

I'm in my mid-20s. To me, the classic M is how I always identified the Twins. When they switched to the TC logo a few years back, I thought it was pretty ugly to be honest.

Nellie_Fox
02-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm in my mid-20s. To me, the classic M is how I always identified the Twins. When they switched to the TC logo a few years back, I thought it was pretty ugly to be honest.How is the M "classic" when the TC was their original cap logo? Their 1961 (inaugural) uniform:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1961_minnesota.gif

johnnyg83
02-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm with Nellie ... the TC is the classic look for the Twins.

I do not like the M.

esbrechtel
02-09-2010, 01:35 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2709/4336532094_c7cdffee14_m.jpg
are they going to keep the navy as well....how many alternates are they going to have? :scratch:

MARTINMVP
02-09-2010, 01:39 PM
How is the M "classic" when the TC was their original cap logo? Their 1961 (inaugural) uniform:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1961_minnesota.gif

I started watching baseball in the mid 90s (I am 25 now). At that time, the Twins were using the M logo. To me, that logo is classic and I consider the TC logo to be strange and ugly.

Nellie_Fox
02-09-2010, 02:24 PM
I started watching baseball in the mid 90s (I am 25 now). At that time, the Twins were using the M logo. To me, that logo is classic and I consider the TC logo to be strange and ugly.Something isn't "classic" just because your memory only covers a short time period. Lots of teams have worn a cap with an M on it; Milwaukee with two different teams, the Mariners for a while come to mind immediately. The TC is unique.

johnnyg83
02-09-2010, 05:10 PM
are they going to keep the navy as well....how many alternates are they going to have? :scratch:

Yep. Navy and Columbia. Two alts. Not too unusual to have two alts. or more: Boston, Atlanta, Mets, Royals, Twins, Astros, Rangers, Indians, A's, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Giants (new orange one this year) among the ones that do.

I wish they would put TAMPA BAY on their road jerseys. I almost wish it was standard for away jerseys to have city or state name on the front of the jersey.

MARTINMVP
02-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Something isn't "classic" just because your memory only covers a short time period. Lots of teams have worn a cap with an M on it; Milwaukee with two different teams, the Mariners for a while come to mind immediately. The TC is unique.

The TC is unique, agreed. I just don't happen to like it - it doesn't mean I think other people are wrong if they do like it. I personally think it looks lame and when the Twins began using it again a few years back, I thought to myself that it looked lame and that the M logo was better.

chisox616
02-09-2010, 07:55 PM
The TC is unique, agreed. I just don't happen to like it - it doesn't mean I think other people are wrong if they do like it. I personally think it looks lame and when the Twins began using it again a few years back, I thought to myself that it looked lame and that the M logo was better.

I'm in the same boat as you in regards to following baseball, but as a kid, the M hat always confused me. There were so many M-hat teams it was hard to keep track of. I would always try and name the teams based off their hats and the Minnesota "M" hat and the Montreal "JB" hat got me every time.

I like the TC better for that reason--it's unique.

FloridaTigers
02-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Loria hasn't said a thing about it, but based of the new HR celebration that the Fish unveiled not too long ago, (it was covered in a separate thread here), i'm guessing its gonna be royal, black and silver

EDIT: IMO, the Teal that the Fish use, should always be used, they should have used more of it.

Ugh, Royal, black, and silver? What are they, the lovechild of the Raiders and Royals? For a team with a short history and two World Series wins, they should stick with their current look, and add more teal.

The Marlins were the team of my childhood here in Miami and I'll always remember the Marlins of the mid-90's fondly, and they'll always look like this:

http://fishatbat.com/uploads/jeff_conine_allstarmvp.jpeg

Brian26
02-11-2010, 10:16 PM
I started watching baseball in the mid 90s (I am 25 now). At that time, the Twins were using the M logo. To me, that logo is classic and I consider the TC logo to be strange and ugly.

Something isn't "classic" just because your memory only covers a short time period. Lots of teams have worn a cap with an M on it; Milwaukee with two different teams, the Mariners for a while come to mind immediately. The TC is unique.

The TC logo is actually the "classic" logo. When the Twins switched to the "M" with the line under it in 1987, it immediately resembled a candy bar logo. I'd like them to stick with both hats, mostly because I believe a team should keep the uniform it wore when winning the World Series.

ComiskeyBrewer
02-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Brewers have a new alt road jersey.

http://ow.ly/i/wNk

The only difference(and it's a major one, IMO) is they replaced BREWERS on the front with "Milwaukee". Why is this noteworthy? Because since the late 90s, the brewers haven't had a road jersey with the words Milwaukee on it.

ewokpelts
02-19-2010, 10:33 AM
They should pick the colors because they represent southern florida/miami -- aqua for ocean/orange for sun.

And the Marlins made between $44 million and $35 million in operating profit from 2006-2008.the marlins make NO money in that facility.

dickallen15
02-19-2010, 10:35 AM
the marlins make NO money in that facility.

They don't have to. With the money the get through licensing and revenue sharing, if they locked the gates and never let a person in to watch them, they would make a profit.

ewokpelts
02-19-2010, 11:49 AM
They don't have to. With the money the get through licensing and revenue sharing, if they locked the gates and never let a person in to watch them, they would make a profit.yeah, but you wonder why they have a hard time fielding a competitive teams year and out.
i'll give loria "some" credit. he DID try to spend to compete in the nl east. they had a high payroll in 2004 and 2005, but didnt reach the playoffs.

i dont like what they're doing, but i cant say i blame them. they have a horrible lease negotiated by a former owner with a conflict of interest.

now, with a new stadium coming, they need to show that the coming financial windfall will be reinvested in the team. if they fail to do that, then hang em high.

chisox616
02-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Love the Giants' new alts:

http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3976581

Great stuff IMO, more teams need to get back to colorful jerseys.

Except us, of course.

Nellie_Fox
02-26-2010, 12:37 PM

Except us, of course.Sorry, it's hideous. The colorful jersey thing ran its course, traditional uniforms are where it's at.

eriqjaffe
02-26-2010, 01:45 PM

Except us, of course.Those will be fantastic on "Road Construction Night"!

WhiteSox5187
02-26-2010, 01:46 PM

Except us, of course.

I like some colorful unis (the Expos come to mind) but I don't like the color orange. But I LOVE their new stripped socks.

hdog1017
02-26-2010, 01:55 PM
MLB needs to have 80's night, where all teams that were in existence in the 80's wear their loudest jerseys from that era.

russ99
02-26-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm in the same boat as you in regards to following baseball, but as a kid, the M hat always confused me. There were so many M-hat teams it was hard to keep track of. I would always try and name the teams based off their hats and the Minnesota "M" hat and the Montreal "JB" hat got me every time.

I like the TC better for that reason--it's unique.

Not "JB" or "elb", it's an "M"

http://www.mickeysplace.com/images/hcmon91.jpg

Brian26
02-26-2010, 10:54 PM
I think it is an "m" on top, with an "e" for expos and "b" for baseball on the bottom.

Brian26
02-26-2010, 10:54 PM
I notice from Spring Training photos that the Sox aren't wearing their new BP caps like other teams.

chisox616
02-26-2010, 11:23 PM

I know that now, but I was talking about when I was a kid, lol.

BleacherBandit
02-27-2010, 12:14 AM

It always looked like "ELB" to me, too.

johnnyg83
02-27-2010, 12:51 AM
Sorry, it's hideous. The colorful jersey thing ran its course, traditional uniforms are where it's at.

Definitely returning to simpler, classic designs, but color is still a factor. The amount of teams with alternate/throwback jerseys has to be close to an all-time high.

WhiteSox5187
02-27-2010, 01:17 PM
It always looked like "ELB" to me, too.

There is a school of thought that says it is supposed to be ELB for: Expos Le Baseball.

FloridaTigers
02-28-2010, 02:06 AM
Definitely returning to simpler, classic designs, but color is still a factor. The amount of teams with alternate/throwback jerseys has to be close to an all-time high.

Makes me proud to be a fan of the Tigers. All we need are two simple, classic jerseys. Keeps my wallet thicker too.