PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Granderson may be available

spawn
11-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Take it for what it's worth:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/hardball/yankees_could_deal_for_tigers_granderson_ihbBrkhw4 ntvdRpbuw2iJJ

Let the "What would it take to get Granderson?" posts begin!

DirtySox
11-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Edwin Jackson might be available as well.

DumpJerry
11-11-2009, 03:10 PM
"What would it take to get Granderson?"
Home cooking! Come on home, Curtis, come on home!

JermaineDye05
11-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Dontrelle Willis is killing them.

If Granderson winds up in NY (Yankees) or BOS, I will scream.

DumpJerry
11-11-2009, 03:13 PM

If Granderson winds up in NY (Yankees) or BOS, I will scream.
Dontrelle? Try Borass! They were the only bidders for Maggs, yet they agreed to a contract that looks like the result of a bidding war.

spawn
11-11-2009, 03:14 PM

Correction: Willis, Maggs, and Cabrera are killing them. Plus, don't they need to pony up some dough for Verlander?

voodoochile
11-11-2009, 03:18 PM
They are NOT trading him to the Sox, period.

Craig Grebeck
11-11-2009, 03:19 PM
I would guess he'll end up in the NL if he goes anywhere -- which I doubt. The Cubs seem like a really good fit for him if they're willing to give up Castro and Vitters.

JermaineDye05
11-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Correction: Willis, Maggs, and Cabrera are killing them. Plus, don't they need to pony up some dough for Verlander?

Cabrera is at least worth the money he's being paid.

Domeshot17
11-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I doubt they trade him in division. I also doubt we have the good to get him.

spawn
11-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Cabrera is at least worth the money he's being paid.
I did mean to say he was the only one of the trio worth what he's getting paid.

KenBerryGrab
11-11-2009, 03:23 PM
He's regressing anyway. He hit .249 with a .327 OBP. Against lefties: BA .183, OBP.245, SLG.239!

munchman33
11-11-2009, 03:27 PM
He's regressing anyway. He hit .249 with a .327 OBP. Against lefties: BA .183, OBP.245, SLG.239!

Platoon him with Rios!

DumpJerry
11-11-2009, 03:29 PM
This is the same we supposedly blocked when we picked up Rios off the Waiver Wire?

They are trying to shed salary like dandruff in a hurricane. Maybe we should have let them get Rios.

Oblong
11-11-2009, 05:48 PM
I don't think the team NEEDS to shed salary or payroll. Sure it'd be nice but I don't expect Mike Ilitch to have issued a directive, especially involving two marketable commodities.

Edwin Jackson? Could be the ultimate sell high situation. He'd leave a big hole in the rotation so either the return has to be worth it or you have to have a lot of confidence in the minor league depth to step in and fill that gap (Something I don't think is there for 2010). The team could also think he's going to regress big time and want a return of some sort now.

Granderson? I think it's just feelers. He did have an off year but he's still only like 28. Considering the state of the offence now and the belief that the improved pitching was due to defense, I don't see much here. Obviously if an offer blows you away you do it but I don't see that.

Lip Man 1
11-11-2009, 06:21 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/cubs-must-go-after-granderson.html

Lip

DirtySox
11-11-2009, 06:24 PM

Lip

He would be a good fit for them, and they certainly have the prospects to acquire him.

Oblong
11-11-2009, 06:45 PM
There is a potential risk for a team acquiring him if he does continue to regress. His salary situation is $5.5(2010), $8.25 (2011), $10 (2012) and $13(2013).

The team will move him not for payroll but because they think they can improve their team. If $5.5 million next year will kill them then they wouldn't have let Magglio's option kick in.

TheOldRoman
11-11-2009, 07:05 PM

LipLip, how come you aren't praising the Tigers now and how they are "spending money to make money"?

thomas35forever
11-11-2009, 07:05 PM

Lip
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the Cubs. Soriano is no leadoff man and they're stuck with him and his salary. An outfield of Soriano-Granderson-Fukudome isn't great, but it's better than what they had this past season.

Chez
11-11-2009, 09:02 PM
I love Granderson. Great kid, solid player. I really hope he doesn't end up on the Northside! :D:

jabrch
11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
No way the kitties send him to us...no way. (at least no REASONABLE way)

jabrch
11-11-2009, 09:10 PM
He would be a good fit for them, and they certainly have the prospects to acquire him.

Really? Past Vitters (who is a man without a position) their system is not THAT great...parts and pieces, but nothing that would get them Granderson. Will they part with Vitters for him?

DirtySox
11-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Really? Past Vitters (who is a man without a position) their system is not THAT great...parts and pieces, but nothing that would get them Granderson. Will they part with Vitters for him?

Vitters, Castro, and Cashner are all legit prospects. I think they could put a together a suitable package if they desired.

Lip Man 1
11-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Roman:

Not sure the point of your comment. The Tigers were a joke as recently as the mid decade. They went out spent a lot of money... got to a World Series and have posted three winning seasons in the last four years.

Seems to me they got a good return for the investment.

Feel free to look up Selig's comments on spending money = playoff appearances and the WSI poster who brought his original comment up to date through last year. The numbers in favor of the big spending teams are staggering. It's all here in the WSI archives.

While you're at it you can see that the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels (all big spenders) combined to nail 21 of the available 40 A.L. postseason spots this decade.

Oh and the four teams who each won the first round playoff series this year were in the top third in spending.

Must be a coincidence...

Lip

oeo
11-11-2009, 09:40 PM
This is the same we supposedly blocked when we picked up Rios off the Waiver Wire?

No, Kenny wanted him. They were working on a deal before the trade deadline.

jabrch
11-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Vitters, Castro, and Cashner are all legit prospects. I think they could put a together a suitable package if they desired.

Not without giving up Vitters and one of the other two...which would leave them with nothing...which is exactly what new ownership said they won't do.

I don't believe they will be able to put together a package to get him.

DirtySox
11-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Not without giving up Vitters and one of the other two...which would leave them with nothing...which is exactly what new ownership said they won't do.

I don't believe they will be able to put together a package to get him.

No idea if they would/will, just saying they certainly could put together a desirable package if they wished.

cards press box
11-11-2009, 10:16 PM

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, the Tigers basically platooned Granderson with Ryan Raburn down the stretch because of his difficulty hitting lefties.

TheOldRoman
11-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Roman:

Not sure the point of your comment. The Tigers were a joke as recently as the mid decade. They went out spent a lot of money... got to a World Series and have posted three winning seasons in the last four years.

Seems to me they got a good return for the investment.

Feel free to look up Selig's comments on spending money = playoff appearances and the WSI poster who brought his original comment up to date through last year. The numbers in favor of the big spending teams are staggering. It's all here in the WSI archives.

While you're at it you can see that the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels (all big spenders) combined to nail 21 of the available 40 A.L. postseason spots this decade.

Oh and the four teams who each won the first round playoff series this year were in the top third in spending.

Must be a coincidence...

Lip
I was talking specifically about the spending Detroit did in the last year. Remember, when you were on here praising them for doing things right? As it turns out, they were hemorrhaging money last year because of their own stupidity. What did they get out of their drunken sailor spending? One playoff run and one pennant over four years. If they weren't so free-spending, they wouldn't possibly have to trade Granderson (and I don't think they will). The only reason the Tigers spent what they did last year was because they were tied into some horrible contracts.

chisox123
11-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Bruce Levine is saying that the Tigers are thinking about trading Curtis Granderson. He's a good player, has speed, and can play his position well. I doubt that the Tigers would trade him within the division, but it's still an interesting idea.

He also says that the Cubs could possibly be looking at him

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog/_/post/4646320/name/levine

JermaineDye05
11-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Bruce Levine is saying that the Tigers are thinking about trading Curtis Granderson. He's a good player, has speed, and can play his position well. I doubt that the Tigers would trade him within the division, but it's still an interesting idea.

He also says that the Cubs could possibly be looking at him

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog/_/post/4646320/name/levine

If he's going to Chicago, then that's where he's heading. These are the Tigers we're talking about, not the Royals or Pirates. No way are they trading Granderson within the division.

The Immigrant
11-12-2009, 08:26 AM
So they allow Magglio's option to vest and now have to deal young talent in order to slash payroll? That's about as dumb as giving $50MM to Dontrelle Willis and Nate Robertson.

Oblong
11-12-2009, 09:18 AM
That's why the reports are bogus. If he's being dealt it's not because of payroll. It's because they think they can make the current team better. He's only making $5 million next year and after 2010 a bunch of money comes off the books.

tick53
11-13-2009, 02:06 PM
I love Granderson. Great kid, solid player. I really hope he doesn't end up on the Northside! :D:

Anywhere but the North side, anywhere!

DumpJerry
11-13-2009, 02:22 PM
What's wrong with him playing for the Cubs? It not only gets him out of the AL Central, but out of the AL! That is the important thing. Him playing for the Cubs will not effect the won-loss record of the White Sox to the extent that the Sox play 156 games against teams not named "Cubs," so his opportunities to hurt us are minimized. It is also not 100% that he would play all six games against us since very few players play all 162 games.

DSpivack
11-13-2009, 04:15 PM
What's wrong with him playing for the Cubs? It not only gets him out of the AL Central, but out of the AL! That is the important thing. Him playing for the Cubs will not effect the won-loss record of the White Sox to the extent that the Sox play 156 games against teams not named "Cubs," so his opportunities to hurt us are minimized. It is also not 100% that he would play all six games against us since very few players play all 162 games.

That, and if he can't play for the Sox, it'd be cool seeing him play in his hometown.

SoxNation05
11-13-2009, 04:25 PM
He's an all around GREAT human being. He is also a great baseball player with an exciting set of tools. I don't want a reason to root for the Cubs, whether it has anything to do with the Sox or not.

Lip Man 1
11-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Roman:

If you are referring to the S.I. story, absolutely.

They created five dollar parking lots, dropped ticket prices in a difficult economic situation, put together five dollar food packages and had at the very least a competitive team (that should have won the division.)

And the downside to this is?

Lip

doublem23
11-13-2009, 04:57 PM
And the downside to this is?

Lip

Nothing as long as you don't mind watching your team be gutted and slide to the bottom of the division again over the next few years.

DrCrawdad
11-14-2009, 07:12 PM

When I hear Vitters name I can't help but recall these nuggets:

Vitters is better than our whole minor league system combined. - 1908<2005, 01-18-2009 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2140996&postcount=8)

Josh Vitters is a better prospect than Gordon Beckham like it or not. I wish we had Vitters in our system. He's actually not that bad of a defender. Only problem with Vitters is he needs to be more patient at the plate. But he's going to be good. - 1908<2005, 06-06-2009 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2251024&postcount=14)

Pear-Zin-Ski
11-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Before we claimed Rios I thought we should go after Curtis being a hometown kid and all. It would hurt to see him in Cubbie Blue, but then again he'd be in the NL - less damage to us.

Lip Man 1
11-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Double:

You're making a broad assumption there aren't you. Didn't know you had a crystal ball.

History (not a guess) shows the Detroit ownership has spent a lot of money, who is to say they won't again?

Lip

soxinem1
11-18-2009, 04:23 PM

KW would still take him in a heartbeat.

Before we claimed Rios I thought we should go after Curtis being a hometown kid and all. It would hurt to see him in Cubbie Blue, but then again he'd be in the NL - less damage to us.

Granderson is okay, but I do not think he is the player we need. We do not need a so-so lead-off hitter who has no clue against LHP who is also a K machine.

Oblong
11-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Dombrowski came out and emphatically denied that these rumors are in no way a salary dump or fire sale. He's having discussions, like he does every year, involving players and ways to improve the team. He's only going to make a deal if he thinks it makes the Tigers better, not for financial reasons. He's usually pretty dry in his public comments so when he is forceful like this it means something.

I'm only bringing it up because I've seen several reports by "national experts" calling it a payroll cutting exercise.

JermaineDye05
11-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Dombrowski came out and emphatically denied that these rumors are in no way a salary dump or fire sale. He's having discussions, like he does every year, involving players and ways to improve the team. He's only going to make a deal if he thinks it makes the Tigers better, not for financial reasons. He's usually pretty dry in his public comments so when he is forceful like this it means something.

I'm only bringing it up because I've seen several reports by "national experts" calling it a payroll cutting exercise.

What's the word on Leyland?

I guess my real question is, who's going to be made the scape goat for the downfall in 09?

Oblong
11-19-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm surprised that there really hasn't been a scapegoat thrown around on talk radio and the papers and blogs. If anything it's just been the offense in general as being lacking.

One of the first things my friends and I talk about is "Well... who's fault is it going to be this time?" and we couldn't agree. That's the problem with losing in a 1 game playoff. Everybody on the team, outside of Verlander and Porcello, can be blamed at some point for a game or incident.

Leyland's fine for now. After 2008 he wanted an extension, 2009 was his final year, and DD wouldn't go for it. He piped up in the media about it. He got one in early 2009.

But the team did bring up AA manager Tom Brookens (Remember him?) to be the 1B coach, replacing Van Slyke. He has done well in the minors and may be considered a "Hair Apparant". (Sopranos reference)