PDA

View Full Version : Dotel, Dye Type A Free Agents

doublem23
11-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Good news for us, of course, but bad news for Jermaine. I assume Dotel will be able to find someone to employ him, regardless of draft pick compensation, but this is going to make it even more difficult for JD to find a job.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thehotstoneleague/2010237252_elias_free_agent_rankings_are.html

The Dude
11-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Good news for us, of course, but bad news for Jermaine. I assume Dotel will be able to find someone to employ him, regardless of draft pick compensation, but this is going to make it even more difficult for JD to find a job.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thehotstoneleague/2010237252_elias_free_agent_rankings_are.html

Awesome news! But what team in their right mind will give up that compensation to sign a Jermaine Dye?

cws05champ
11-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Awesome news! But what team in their right mind will give up that compensation to sign a Jermaine Dye?

That's only if we offer arbitration...which we won't, because JD would probably accept and we'd be on the hook for $10-12M.

munchman33
11-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Forget Dye, do we even offer Dotel arbitration? No one's gonna sign him if we offer. He'd probably accept.

Oblong
11-11-2009, 09:12 AM
From what I understand about the rules, in arbitration a player cannot get less than an 80% pay cut and Jermaine's 2009 salary was $11.5 million, meaning he'll have to get at least $9 million.

I don't think the Sox would offer him arbitration because he'll probably accept it. His 2010 contract was for $12 million but a $1 million buyout.... so really he'd only be throwing away $2 million.

DirtySox
11-11-2009, 10:54 AM

It won't make it difficult for JD to find a job as their is little chance we offer him arbitration, hence no compensation taking place.

I wouldn't mind the Sox offering arbitration to Dotel, as he is still a decent bullpen piece if he accepts, and if he walks we get the picks.

That being said, there has been no indication that either will be offered arbitration so there likely won't be any draft picks coming our way.

voodoochile
11-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Forget Dye, do we even offer Dotel arbitration? No one's gonna sign him if we offer. He'd probably accept.

He might be worth one year at $4.8M though I'd prefer it be less obviously.

russ99
11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Dotel wants to play on the East coast and prefers to close, so we should offer since he likely won't accept arbitration and give up those goals at the same/lesser salary.

But if we trade Bobby, he might be worth bringing back as a potential closing option at under $6M.

munchman33
11-11-2009, 01:32 PM
He might be worth one year at $4.8M though I'd prefer it be less obviously.

I don't doubt that's what he's worth, but we're crying poor. There are other pieces I'd rather keep/sign than having Dotel around at that price.

JermaineDye05
11-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Sorry, but what does this mean? We get draft picks if they're signed?

Sockinchisox
11-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Only if we offer arbitration and they decline.

DirtySox
11-11-2009, 01:43 PM

No.

We get draft picks if we offer arbitration to them and they reject it. We then get Type A compensation from whichever team they sign with. A first round and a supplemental round pick if the signing teams 1st rounder doesn't fall in the top 15, and if it does, a supplemental round pick and the signing team's 2nd round pick.

Nellie_Fox
11-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Dotel wants to play on the East coast and prefers to close, so we should offer since he likely won't accept arbitration and give up those goals at the same/lesser salary.

But if we trade Bobby, he might be worth bringing back as a potential closing option at under $6M.I don't know about you, but I would be very uncomfortable going into the season with Dotel as the closer.

munchman33
11-11-2009, 02:08 PM
I don't know about you, but I would be very uncomfortable going into the season with Dotel as the closer.

Bobby has got to be just as big a question mark at this point.

Sargeant79
11-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I think you absolutely offer Dotel arbitration. If the worst thing that happens is that he accepts it, you have one less hole in the bullpen to fill.

jabrch
11-11-2009, 02:55 PM
I can't see how we wouldn't offer them both arbitration. Worst case, they both come back on 1 year deals. Dye becomes a DH and Dotel stays in the pen...

KenBerryGrab
11-11-2009, 02:58 PM
JD was quoted in today's stories as saying he won't be a DH; he still sees himself as a rightfielder, 1B at worst. And he'd get more in arbitration than the team is willing to pay.

Frater Perdurabo
11-11-2009, 03:43 PM
JD was quoted in today's stories as saying he won't be a DH; he still sees himself as a rightfielder, 1B at worst. And he'd get more in arbitration than the team is willing to pay.

Hypothetically, if KW traded Paulie to a West Coast team, would he consider signing Dye to play first?
:tongue:

Craig Grebeck
11-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Hypothetically, if KW traded Paulie to a West Coast team, would he consider signing Dye to play first?
:tongue:
He should not.

dickallen15
11-11-2009, 03:55 PM
I can't see how we wouldn't offer them both arbitration. Worst case, they both come back on 1 year deals. Dye becomes a DH and Dotel stays in the pen...
Because if they accept, that would be $20 million more to the payroll for an even older JD and OD.

soxinem1
11-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I don't know about you, but I would be very uncomfortable going into the season with Dotel as the closer.

I agree. If he wasn't a closing option in both 2008 and 2009 when Jenks was hurt, why would anyone assume he would become one now?

Plus, he was NEVER a good closer. He only closed for one season, and blew a ton of games in the process.

His best role was always setting up.

jabrch
11-11-2009, 06:42 PM

JD is a team player...I don't really believe that if the Sox asked him to DH that he wouldn't do it. He's not the type...Not if they have an option at RF who is younger with more range who'd help the team more.

Craig Grebeck
11-11-2009, 06:46 PM
JD is a team player...I don't really believe that if the Sox asked him to DH that he wouldn't do it. He's not the type...Not if they have an option at RF who is younger with more range who'd help the team more.
Yeah, why listen to the guy? Just say he's a team player and disregard what came from the horse's mouth.

doublem23
11-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Yeah, why listen to the guy? Just say he's a team player and disregard what came from the horse's mouth.

He also said he'd really, really like to come back here.

oeo
11-12-2009, 01:56 AM
I think you absolutely offer Dotel arbitration. If the worst thing that happens is that he accepts it, you have one less hole in the bullpen to fill.

Agreed. Him accepting wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Balfanman
11-12-2009, 08:24 AM

Why did he get upset when the Sox acquired Rios then? Something about losing playing time even though he was playing like crap. Doesn't sound like much of a team first guy to me.

munchman33
11-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Agreed. Him accepting wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Except that essentially means we'll be trading or non-tendering Bobby.

We aren't spending any more money on the bullpen without dumping a salary, and we aren't dumping from anywhere else. It sucks that Linebrink is a black hole at $5 million but between him, Bobby, and Thornton, there's already too large a percentage of our budget in the pen.

Sargeant79
11-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Except that essentially means we'll be trading or non-tendering Bobby.

We aren't spending any more money on the bullpen without dumping a salary, and we aren't dumping from anywhere else. It sucks that Linebrink is a black hole at $5 million but between him, Bobby, and Thornton, there's already too large a percentage of our budget in the pen.

That's the thing...I don't get the impression that we'll be spending any more on the bullpen anyway. They might bring in a low cost reliever or two who is still unemployed at the beginning of February, but I don't think having Dotel accepting arbitration would prevent them from doing that.

Bringing Dotel back would likely mean money gets cut from other areas, not the bullpen. I just don't see them trading Bobby at this point because there is no way someone is going to give up good value for him. Their best bet with him at this point is to bring him back and hope he bounces back. The time to trade him for value was last off-season.

munchman33
11-12-2009, 10:05 AM
That's the thing...I don't get the impression that we'll be spending any more on the bullpen anyway. They might bring in a low cost reliever or two who is still unemployed at the beginning of February, but I don't think having Dotel accepting arbitration would prevent them from doing that.

Bringing Dotel back would likely mean money gets cut from other areas, not the bullpen. I just don't see them trading Bobby at this point because there is no way someone is going to give up good value for him. Their best bet with him at this point is to bring him back and hope he bounces back. The time to trade him for value was last off-season.

I disagree. I think it's more likely we both don't offer arb. to Dotel and still trade Bobby to fill needs in other areas than having both around. I do think we'll be adding veterans to the pen, just in a one year, incentive kind of way for guys still available in spring training. But the money we spend on the pen next year is likely to be down compared to last, if only because spots are already assured for a lot of guys. If Bobby stays, we've already got SIX locks for the pen going into next year (Jenks, Thornton, Linebrink, Pena, Carasco, and Garcia/Hudson rotation loser). Depending on the time of year, that's a full bullpen compliment.

Waysouthsider
11-12-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't know how they avoid offering O.D. arbitration....they win if he doesn't accept and I think his numbers show that he's a decent bullpen arm....I would be fretting like a madman with him as closer but as a late-innings guy, he hasn't been terrible like Linebrink...

munchman33
11-12-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't know how they avoid offering O.D. arbitration....they win if he doesn't accept and I think his numbers show that he's a decent bullpen arm....I would be fretting like a madman with him as closer but as a late-innings guy, he hasn't been terrible like Linebrink...

I can think of about six million reasons why the White Sox will not be offering Dotel arbitration. In fact, the only way I see it happening is if Kenny can pull a rabbit out of his hat and trade both Jenks and Linebrink while also clearing their entire salaries.