PDA

View Full Version : Scouts On Teahen Deal

Lip Man 1
11-10-2009, 05:24 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/scouts-like-white-soxs-teahen-trade.html

Lip

thomas35forever
11-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Well, if the scouts say it's good...

UChicagoHP
11-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I think Teahan plays better when he is at 3B, seems more comfortable/confident/etc. Watched him quite often when I was stuck in KC for a few years, and the guy has a beautiful swing/sound glove(moved for the "phenom" Alex Gordon), and if he can up his OBP .10-.20 points, I think he will help the team more than he hurts it. Worth a gamble, imo...

Lundind1
11-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I agree with the Teahen assessment. Let's just see if will pan out.

flo-B-flo
11-17-2009, 10:08 AM
He killed the Sox. Glad he's on this side now.........

Redus Redux
11-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Even if Teahan stays what he is, he adds power that Chris Getz couldnt give us. In our park it matters.

Defense wise I didnt see Chris Getz giving us a ton... I see this as a subtle improvement.

SouthSideSid
11-18-2009, 12:40 PM
The only thing I don't like about the deal is that Josh Fields value has never been lower. I won't be holding my breath waiting for him to have a big season next year, but just think we could have gotten a better return if he hadn't been such a stiff this year.

eriqjaffe
11-18-2009, 12:49 PM
The only thing I don't like about the deal is that Josh Fields value has never been lower. I won't be holding my breath waiting for him to have a big season next year, but just think we could have gotten a better return if he hadn't been such a stiff this year.Of course, if Fields hadn't been such a stiff this year, we probably wouldn't be complaining about Beckham getting shafted in the RoY voting.

Ranger
11-18-2009, 01:51 PM
The only thing I don't like about the deal is that Josh Fields value has never been lower. I won't be holding my breath waiting for him to have a big season next year, but just think we could have gotten a better return if he hadn't been such a stiff this year.

But I wouldn't count on it ever getting much higher. He wasn't going to gain value in the Sox minor league system because he was unhappy. And it wasn't going to increase on the Sox roster because he wasn't going to make the team. Plus, he's 27 (will be 28 midseason). And not that he can't still be a contributing player somewhere, but in terms of trade value, he's at a point where he's going to have a very difficult time gaining any because of his age combined with lack of major league track record.

Josh Fields' trade value as a "prospect" is never going to improve. The only way it would've ever gotten higher is if the Sox made him a starter and he performed well and got traded next offseason.

soxinem1
11-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Right now the only guarantee about Teahan is he will replace Thome's K total for the season.

russ99
11-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Right now the only guarantee about Teahan is he will replace Thome's K total for the season.

You have a point, but I'm not going to be pessimistic about Teahen.

He's moving from a perennial doormat to a contender, to the best hitters park in the A.L. and has been told (if it turns out or not) that he'll play his best and favored position at 3B.

I think his numbers will rebound nicely. Probably not to 2006 levels, but not too far off that, with more HRs and 2Bs.

I also think Kenny's biggest offseason acquisition is to come. Teahen's a piece, not the main attraction.

DonnieDarko
11-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Why do you say that Teahen is only a "piece"? The Sox don't have a hell of a lot of money. Who could they possibly sign as a "main attraction" with their payroll limitations?

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-18-2009, 09:42 PM

He's moving from a perennial doormat to a contender, to the best hitters park in the A.L. and has been told (if it turns out or not) that he'll play his best and favored position at 3B.

I think his numbers will rebound nicely. Probably not to 2006 levels, but not too far off that, with more HRs and 2Bs.

I also think Kenny's biggest offseason acquisition is to come. Teahen's a piece, not the main attraction.

I think you mean optimistic then, pessimistic means you've more negative. I agree with you, Teahen should be one of those nice complementary pieces to the team. We can only hope KW has something else up his sleeve, though.

russ99
11-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Why do you say that Teahen is only a "piece"? The Sox don't have a hell of a lot of money. Who could they possibly sign as a "main attraction" with their payroll limitations?

It's a long offseason. Some of those limitations could be lifted if the Sox deal a salary and Kenny's always looking for a trade.

Look at the roster. We're short an outfielder and/or a DH. I don't think Kenny's going to take care of that with Jordan Danks/Dayan Viciedo after what happened this spring with the kids, and the lack of readiness of those two players.

Any of Pods, Thome and Dye could come back but I wouldn't count on it, and if it happens it will be a bargain signing in February.

munchman33
11-19-2009, 10:33 AM
The scouts make it seem like Mark's better at defense than the scouts on this board...

Craig Grebeck
11-19-2009, 12:57 PM
The scouts make it seem like Mark's better at defense than the scouts on this board...
Links, please.

tm1119
11-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Links, please.

Seriously, with a career UZR of -24 at 3B I cant imagine anybody saying anything good about his D.

SI1020
11-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Seriously, with a career UZR of -24 at 3B I cant imagine anybody saying anything good about his D. Me either. If you're looking to upgrade a sorry defensive team do you do it with players like Mark Teahen?

eriqjaffe
11-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Me either. If you're looking to upgrade a sorry defensive team do you do it with players like Mark Teahen?There are traditions...and there are White Sox traditions!

soxinem1
11-19-2009, 05:49 PM

Teahan's uniform is already waiting. It even highlights the most common occurrence of his hitting attempts:

http://www.jerseysbus.com/images/Chicago%20White%20Sox%2030%20white.jpg

KMcMahon817
11-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Links, please.

I don't read a lot of scouting reports, and not that this is the greatest of reports, but on Teahen's "road to the majors" story, a minor league coach of his said that he was one of the best defenders at third base he had ever seen.

I haven't seen enough of Teahen at third to make a solid judgement, and the tapes I have watched don't make him look all that impressive, but give the guy a shot. I won't be jumping with joy if he is our everyday third baseman going into the season, but he says third is his preferred position, and he has not gotten the chance to play there consistently since his sophmore campaign in 06. And, in 06 he hit .290 with 18 homers and 70 rbi in 109 games, so I dont think it would be too big of a stretch to say we can assume a jump in his offensive numbers when also adding in 81 games at the Cell, not to mention the newfound protection in the line-up.

Sargeant79
11-19-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't read a lot of scouting reports, and not that this is the greatest of reports, but on Teahen's "road to the majors" story, a minor league coach of his said that he was one of the best defenders at third base he had ever seen.

I haven't seen enough of Teahen at third to make a solid judgement, and the tapes I have watched don't make him look all that impressive, but give the guy a shot. I won't be jumping with joy if he is our everyday third baseman going into the season, but he says third is his preferred position, and he has not gotten the chance to play there consistently since his sophmore campaign in 06. And, in 06 he hit .290 with 18 homers and 70 rbi in 109 games, so I dont think it would be too big of a stretch to say we can assume a jump in his offensive numbers when also adding in 81 games at the Cell, not to mention the newfound protection in the line-up.

I actually think this is a pretty important point. We have to remember that Teahan was one of the best hitters on that team (you can't really comprehend how bad the Royals are until you type that statement. Go ahead...try it...). On the Sox, he will likely be among our worst everyday hitters...that decreased level of expectations coupled with better protection might actually translate into a decent offensive season.

As for his defense, I don't think he'll win any gold gloves, but he might do okay. We just have to wait and see. I can't see how he would be any worse than Josh Fields was to start the season last year. I acknowledge that just because it's an upgrade doesn't make it good, but still...improvement is improvement.

mshawks
11-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Teahan is a better offensive player than Crede and I think his home run total will only go up moving from KC to Comiskey. Of course I said the same thing about home runs when we got Swisher, so who the hell knows.

4 points
12-01-2009, 04:47 AM

I concur:gulp:

4 points
12-01-2009, 05:12 AM

Who was the minor league coach? Stevie Wonder.:dtroll:

Railsplitter
12-01-2009, 10:45 AM
he killed the sox. Glad he's on this side now.........
+1

Mr. Downtown
12-02-2009, 11:42 PM
So the Sox had two Topps rookies of the year that could have been the heart of the team for the next decade and we're excited about Mark Teahan. You've got to be kidding.

Rdy2PlayBall
12-02-2009, 11:46 PM
So the Sox had two Topps rookies of the year that could have been the heart of the team for the next decade and we're excited about Mark Teahan. You've got to be kidding.When I begin to trust "Topps rookies" as all sure thing top players, I will be a terrible fantasy player. This is far from a terrible trade. The Sox are better... but I really will miss Getz. Sorry to say this, I liked to watch him bat more then Beckham's (even though I know Beckham is better).

sox1970
12-02-2009, 11:49 PM
So the Sox had two Topps rookies of the year that could have been the heart of the team for the next decade and we're excited about Mark Teahan. You've got to be kidding.

:rolleyes:

OH NO! How will we ever get by without Chris ****ing Getz? :whiner:

DirtySox
12-02-2009, 11:54 PM

Minor league systems can and do churn out Getz like players all the time. He has the potential to be an average middle infielder. He has average to below average tools across the board. He wasn't a stud prospect. He didn't and doesn't have superstar potential. Chris Getz is a replaceable player, and he was replaced.

Mr. Downtown
12-02-2009, 11:55 PM
You're missing my point. The Sox had two players that were recognized as being amongst the very best young players in the game this past year. We could have had them together for a long, long time. Now we won't. We'll have Mark Teahan who will probably be with us for a couple of years, then he'll be gone. Beckham and Getz could have been something special. Now we'll never know.

RedPinStripes
12-02-2009, 11:58 PM

It don't matter. The Sox were not looking to move him when he hit 25 homers. He's gone and they improved the team.

sox1970
12-03-2009, 12:01 AM
You're missing my point. The Sox had two players that were recognized as being amongst the very best young players in the game this past year. We could have had them together for a long, long time. Now we won't. We'll have Mark Teahan who will probably be with us for a couple of years, then he'll be gone. Beckham and Getz could have been something special. Now we'll never know.

Getz is a solid player, but he's nowhere near the talent of Gordon Beckham. This isn't exactly Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker here.

The Sox wanted to move the star player to 2B, so they traded their average to below average player to KC for a guy that can play multiple positions and has more potential for power at the Cell. If Teahen is gone in two years, who cares? That's baseball.

RedPinStripes

What is Getz going to do? He's a nice player, but very replaceable. He's not Gordon Beckham.

Boondock Saint

What is Alexei Ramirez to you? He's got ten times the potential that Getz does.

Mr. Downtown
12-03-2009, 12:04 AM
I love the astute comments. He has the best stolen base percentage in the American League and doesn't have an error since....let me think....oh that's right....June. But he's average at best....probably mediocre. God, you are a Sox fan.

DirtySox
12-03-2009, 12:09 AM
I love the astute comments. He has the best stolen base percentage in the American League and doesn't have an error since....let me think....oh that's right....June. But he's average at best....probably mediocre. God, you are a Sox fan.

Errors are a fantastic defensive metric.

Getz was a fine base stealer. That was his sole high point last year.

sox1970
12-03-2009, 12:14 AM

What do error totals have to do with defensive prowess? He had mental lapses throughout the season that didn't show up in the error column. I remember him not going after a ball that got a way on a steal attempt. He walked/jogged after it and the runner took third base easily.

He also had plenty of nagging injuries all season that would make you question whether he's durable enough for the 162-game season.

He may have a decent little career with a small market team, but he's nobody to lose sleep over.

Mr. Downtown
12-03-2009, 12:19 AM
That's fine. You don't like Getz. I don't like Nancy Pelosi. But please don't fall into the numbers peoples game of saying that it's not a big deal that someone didn't commit an error for three months.

Mod edit: you can say what you want about baseball players, but when it comes to politics, you get time off. See you in three days.

PalehosePlanet
12-03-2009, 01:01 AM
That's fine. You don't like Getz. I don't like Nancy Pelosi. But please don't fall into the numbers peoples game of saying that it's not a big deal that someone didn't commit an error for three months.

Mod edit: you can say what you want about baseball players, but when it comes to politics, you get time off. See you in three days.

He was also on the DL for a month during that stretch.

Don't fool yourself. Getz was not a good 2B: Below average arm, so-so range, so-so glove, and slightly above average foot work at the bag = average at best.

As stated earlier by another poster, his only assets were his speed and base stealing instincts.

johnnyg83
12-03-2009, 01:13 AM
I wish Getz well. I prefer our second baseman.

Lundind1
12-03-2009, 02:59 AM
Errors are a fantastic defensive metric.

Getz was a fine base stealer. That was his sole high point last year.

I agree with that. The only thing that you must look at is potential. Did he have the potential to become a great player with this system of guys that we tend to get?

Mr. Downtown
12-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Now that I've been allowed back on the board for being naughty I'm just going to say that it was an awful trade. Awful. We'll leave it at that. Those who post here seem to like it so I'm going to defer to them. Different strokes for different folks. Sly and the Family Stone would be proud.

SI1020
12-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Arguing on WSI is just a family affair.