PDA

View Full Version : CQ to Right Field????

Waysouthsider
11-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Saw Gonzo's comments in the ex-Cubune this morning....see link:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/permission-sought-if-white-sox-consider-moving-carlos-quentin-to-right-field.html

Anyone know about this? I'm not sure I understand the logic....? Who is trader Kenny thinking about for LF?

:scratch:

DirtySox
11-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Saw Gonzo's comments in the ex-Cubune this morning....see link:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/permission-sought-if-white-sox-consider-moving-carlos-quentin-to-right-field.html

Anyone know about this? I'm not sure I understand the logic....? Who is trader Kenny thinking about for LF?

:scratch:

Probably not one specific person. Being able to shift Q to right just creates more flexibility in the players Kenny can go after.

voodoochile
11-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Deal would be signing of Pods...

Balfanman
11-10-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't understand how some people believe that Quentin would be a poor right fielder. Doesn't he have more experience in right then left? It is entirely possible that he sees the ball better off of the bat and reads angles better viewing it from right field than left.

In fact, I think that the Sox might of had a much better defensive outfield the last couple of seasons if they would of moved Dye to left and put Quentin in right (injuries excluded of course). JMHO

aryzner
11-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Not surprised if TCQ were to move positions. Weren't we all expecting him to move to RF with Dye being gone?

beasly213
11-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Not surprised if TCQ were to move positions. Weren't we all expecting him to move to RF with Dye being gone?

I know I was. :scratch:

Daver
11-10-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't understand how some people believe that Quentin would be a poor right fielder. Doesn't he have more experience in right then left? It is entirely possible that he sees the ball better off of the bat and reads angles better viewing it from right field than left.

In fact, I think that the Sox might of had a much better defensive outfield the last couple of seasons if they would of moved Dye to left and put Quentin in right (injuries excluded of course). JMHO

He doesn't have the arm for it.

aryzner
11-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Maybe expecting is the wrong word. I seem to remember the idea being tossed around towards the end of the season when Dye had a terrible 2nd half and was not expected to be re-signed.

Jim Shorts
11-10-2009, 12:36 PM

Really? I think he's got plenty of arm for RF.

Balfanman
11-10-2009, 12:40 PM

I thought that he had a good arm. At least as good as Dyes'.

Noneck
11-10-2009, 12:44 PM

It appears he has a scatter arm but I would like to know what Daver thinks.

Daver
11-10-2009, 12:48 PM

I thought that he had a good arm. At least as good as Dyes'.

We'll agree to disagree, you can have plenty of arm strength and still have a bad arm if you can't put the ball where you want it, and I have yet to see that he has all that strong an arm.

aryzner
11-10-2009, 12:57 PM
I remember him doubling somebody up at first after making a catch in LF around when he was first here. That's the only instance I can think of of a strong arm. I think the throw was pretty strong and right on the money to Konerko at first but I might be wrong, my memory of it is somewhat hazy.

PorkChopExpress
11-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I hear people say he cannot play RF or doesn't have the arm for it and wonder why no professional scouts working with Stanford, the Diamondbacks, and now the White Sox seem to agree. He played RF up until he came to the White Sox. No one seemed to think he couldn't, and the reason he didn't here was because of Dye.

Not to mention, I've seen him double off a runner at first base on a throw from the wall in LF at the Cell. That's a pretty strong and accurate throw. If the Sox think he can play RF, then I'm inclined to agree.

aryzner
11-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Not to mention, I've seen him double off a runner at first base on a throw from the wall in LF at the Cell. That's a pretty strong and accurate throw. If the Sox think he can play RF, then I'm inclined to agree.
We are most definitely thinking of the same game. Anyone know what game that was? There's probably a highlight of it in the archives on whitesox.com and I'd like to see it again just to see it. :D:

voodoochile
11-10-2009, 01:02 PM
If he didn't have a great year throwing last year, it may have been caused at least in part by the foot injury. If you can't plant, you can't throw, it's that simple...

Noneck
11-10-2009, 01:04 PM
If the Sox think he can play RF, then I'm inclined to agree.

Or that currently they have no other option.

doublem23
11-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Or that currently they have no other option.

RF and LF are basically non-defensive positions, so it's really not that big of a deal.

PorkChopExpress
11-10-2009, 01:09 PM
We are most definitely thinking of the same game. Anyone know what game that was? There's probably a highlight of it in the archives on whitesox.com and I'd like to see it again just to see it. :D:

I just checked, and I was wrong, it was in Detroit on April 5, 2008. He doubled off Renteria.

Zisk77
11-10-2009, 01:12 PM
RF and LF are basically non-defensive positions, so it's really not that big of a deal.

Rf is an important defensive position. You make a mistake in RF its 3 bases and if you can not throw everyone will go 1st to 3rd on ya. TCQ has a strong enough arm for rf.

DVsoxfan
11-10-2009, 01:41 PM
I remember him doubling somebody up at first after making a catch in LF around when he was first here. That's the only instance I can think of of a strong arm. I think the throw was pretty strong and right on the money to Konerko at first but I might be wrong, my memory of it is somewhat hazy.

Yes, this happened in Detroit...I was at the game. He threw doubled off Renteria on a fly from close to the warning track in left field....best throw I've ever seen in person...he's got plenty of arm strength....

TheOldRoman
11-10-2009, 01:42 PM
RF and LF are basically non-defensive positions, so it's really not that big of a deal.I don't think so. Not after watching Dye casually jog after hits down the right field line the last four years and turn possible doubles into stand-up triples.

Noneck
11-10-2009, 01:47 PM

Call me crazy as a craphouse rat but I like defense at all positions.

MisterB
11-10-2009, 01:58 PM
I hear people say he cannot play RF or doesn't have the arm for it and wonder why no professional scouts working with Stanford, the Diamondbacks, and now the White Sox seem to agree. He played RF up until he came to the White Sox. No one seemed to think he couldn't, and the reason he didn't here was because of Dye.

Carlos Lee played 3B until the Sox called him up to the majors although he was still a butcher at the position. Sometimes teams hope that a young player will become "good enough" at an otherwise unfilled position to justify getting their bat in the lineup.

NLaloosh
11-10-2009, 02:04 PM
To me the interesting part of that story is that apparently Jordan Danks is on the White Sox ?

oeo
11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
I don't think so. Not after watching Dye casually jog after hits down the right field line the last four years and turn possible doubles into stand-up triples.

You're accusing Dye of dogging it? That's how fast he was. Besides, it's not true, how many times did he nail the guy at second or at the very least make it a close play.

Quentin has never shown any consistency with his arm. I've seen some strong throws, but I have also seen a lot more weak ones, and he's never been accurate.

doublem23
11-10-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't think so. Not after watching Dye casually jog after hits down the right field line the last four years and turn possible doubles into stand-up triples.

Sox gave up 2nd least triples in AL in 2009.

everafan
11-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Sox gave up 2nd least triples in AL in 2009.

Well it's very hard to triple at the Cell so I wouldn't toot anyone's horn over that misleading stat.

doublem23
11-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Well it's very hard to triple at the Cell so I wouldn't toot anyone's horn over that misleading stat.

Doesn't that just prove the point that anyone wringing their hands over RF defense has their heads in the wrong place?

dickallen15
11-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Doesn't that just prove the point that anyone wringing their hands over RF defense has their heads in the wrong place?

Not because of triples, but they should be concerned about balls that drop for hits that should be caught, which happened often in RF. Dye's range has been brutal the past few years. Its cost the White Sox a lot of runs and taxed some pitchers.

Something that happens much more often than triples are runners advancing from first to third on a single to right. It would be nice to have someone who can cut down on how often that happens.

TheOldRoman
11-10-2009, 03:47 PM
You're accusing Dye of dogging it? That's how fast he was. Besides, it's not true, how many times did he nail the guy at second or at the very least make it a close play.

Quentin has never shown any consistency with his arm. I've seen some strong throws, but I have also seen a lot more weak ones, and he's never been accurate.I am not necessarily saying Quentin would be a lot better in RF (though I think he would be based on how poorly Dye played), but that was not how fast he was. Dye played deep in right, and made several good catches going back. But for the most part, the only time Dye ever hussled was when he was on the basepaths. Dye had two distinct speeds, and I saw his jogging routine far too many times over the last four years.

On a similar note, he never ran out balls in the infield. Each year there were at least 1 or 2 plays where a bobble would have made him safe had he ran even half speed to first, but he jogged, leaving the SS time to bobble twice and bounce the ball to first in plenty of time. Maybe it was fear of his past injuries coming back, but he rarely ever hustled. Thome was slow as hell, but he always ran everything out.

soxinem1
11-10-2009, 05:40 PM
If anyone is discounting TCQ being put in RF because he lacks the skills, you must have forgotten these Iron Glove candidates of the recent past that received extensive playing time at positions they are/were not qualified to play:

Nick Swisher, Carl Everett, Jose Valentin, Ken Griffey, Jr., Rob Mackowiak (CF)

Josh Fields, Ross Gload, Pablo Ozuna (LF)

Alexei Ramirez, Mike Caruso (SS)

Jose Valentin, Jayson Nix, Greg Norton (3B)

D'Angelo Jiminez (2B)

Jaime Navarro (P)

Now if these guys were sent out to key positions, does anyone think that a small issue like TCQ in RF will make a difference?