PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training

Saufley
11-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I've never been to spring training in Arizona. Thoughts on when to go? Early in spring training or late and where to stay. Thanks.

Goodman6
11-10-2009, 12:30 AM
I've never been to spring training in Arizona. Thoughts on when to go? Early in spring training or late and where to stay. Thanks.

I had season tix for the Sox Spring Training games last Spring and renewed my seats for next Spring. It all depends on what you want to see. If you want to see a lot of the minor leaguers and non-roster players play, then come to Arizona in early March. If you want to see most of the starters or roster players play, then come to Arizona later in March.

There are hotels in the Glendale area (near University of Phoenix Stadium where the Cardinals play) but some of those may be expensive. There is a fairly new and very clean Hampton Inn at 2000 N. Litchfield Road in Goodyear, AZ that is normally inexpensive and is only about 15-minutes from Camelback Ranch, where the Sox play. You get free breakfast at the Hampton Inn too.

From the Hampton Inn, just drive North about 3 miles to Camelback Road, turn right (heading East) and drive a few more miles (about 4 -5 miles) and the the ballpark and the entrance to the park will be on your left.

Hope this helps.

nug0hs
01-26-2010, 10:28 AM
I am planning a trip for the weekend of March 18-21 so we can see some ST games as well as the Hawks/Coyotes game that weekend.

I'm using various different travel websites to book this (Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.). Does anyone have any recommendations as to places to stay for two guys in their mid 20s? We're looking to go out on the town and have some fun at night and watch the games during the day. We're not planning on renting a car, so ideas on where to stay would be nice. Is there a certain "bar district" like we have up here that we should stay near? Should we just skip staying in downtown Phoenix and stay in Glendale to save money on cabs? Any ideas like this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

TDog
01-26-2010, 11:33 AM

There are hotels in the Glendale area (near University of Phoenix Stadium where the Cardinals play) but some of those may be expensive. There is a fairly new and very clean Hampton Inn at 2000 N. Litchfield Road in Goodyear, AZ that is normally inexpensive and is only about 15-minutes from Camelback Ranch, where the Sox play. You get free breakfast at the Hampton Inn too. ...

Don't stay at the Renaissance, the hotel closest the football stadium and across the street from the hockey arena. It's $200 a night, and they charge extra for parking and Internet access. They don't even offer free coffee in the morning. (What do you expect for four stars?) Other hotels on that side of Glendale can be pricey as well. You're going to need a car, of course because Camelback Ranch isn't what most people would consider walking distance to anything. The Renaissance has a shuttle service, but it just goes to the airport on the other side of town, at $20 a trip one way.

The Quality Inn in Glendale could run you $60-some a night, but it's north of Glendale Avenue on 59th Avenue, so there will be a drive on surface streets to get to the complex, which is on the other side of 100th Avenue. As long as you're going to have to have a car to see games at Camelback Ranch and probably a couple of other venues, it would be no less convenient to stay at a motel off of I-17 in Phoenix for $50 a night (although it's possible their rates might go up to exploit the March bounty). Camelback has an I-17 exit (south of Bethany Home, which is south of Glendale Avenue). It will add a few minutes to your trip to Camelback Ranch, but you will be closer to some of the other ballparks where the Sox might be playing.

In the past, most of the White Sox players who stay at a hotel in the spring, have stayed at the Residence Inn in Glendale. There you can get a free breakfast and complimentary Internet access, but it, too, is almost $200 a night.

doublem23
01-26-2010, 12:00 PM
If money is tight, I strongly recommend Priceline's Name Your Own Price feature. While you don't get to pick the actual hotel, you can select a minimum star price (if you're not interested in staying at a dive Motel 6) and you can select areas of town you want to stay in; looking at the Phoenix Area map, there are two areas that come near Camelback Ranch, so it's not like you'd be on the other edge of the Phoenix metro area.

You might not be in the closest hotel to the park, but to enjoy Phoenix you'll probably need a car anyway, so you may as well try and save on the hotel as much as possible. Last time I used Priceline, Ms. Doub and I spent a weekend in Peoria for a mini-reunion with several college friends a few months ago, we paid $120 total (including all taxes and fees) for 2 nights in a room that is advertised at $119 per night.

TDog
01-26-2010, 01:16 PM
... We're looking to go out on the town and have some fun at night and watch the games during the day. We're not planning on renting a car, so ideas on where to stay would be nice. Is there a certain "bar district" like we have up here that we should stay near? Should we just skip staying in downtown Phoenix and stay in Glendale to save money on cabs? Any ideas like this would be appreciated. ...

For what you describe, you really need a car. I don't believe there is any hot nightlife in Glendale, certainly not near Camelback Ranch. If you stay in downtown Phoenix, cab fares could run you more than car rental would.

Look at a map. In Phoenix and Maricopa County, streets run north-south to the east of Central Avenue, which runs through downtown Phoenix, and Avenues run north-south to the west. Sky Harbor is off 24th Street (I believe the blocks are one-eighth of a mile long). Camelback Road is substantially north of the downtown area. (Off the Black Canyon freeway, there are exits at least for McDowell, Thomas, Osborn and Indian School before you get to Camelback.) Camelback Ranch is at, like, 107th Avenue. Factor in often-heavy traffic.

skobabe8
01-26-2010, 02:22 PM
I am planning a trip for the weekend of March 18-21 so we can see some ST games as well as the Hawks/Coyotes game that weekend.

I'm using various different travel websites to book this (Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.). Does anyone have any recommendations as to places to stay for two guys in their mid 20s? We're looking to go out on the town and have some fun at night and watch the games during the day. We're not planning on renting a car, so ideas on where to stay would be nice. Is there a certain "bar district" like we have up here that we should stay near? Should we just skip staying in downtown Phoenix and stay in Glendale to save money on cabs? Any ideas like this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You need a car.

I am getting one for the week and its only $240 through hotwire.

Goodman6
01-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Don't stay at the Renaissance, the hotel closest the football stadium and across the street from the hockey arena. It's $200 a night, and they charge extra for parking and Internet access. They don't even offer free coffee in the morning. (What do you expect for four stars?) Other hotels on that side of Glendale can be pricey as well. You're going to need a car, of course because Camelback Ranch isn't what most people would consider walking distance to anything. The Renaissance has a shuttle service, but it just goes to the airport on the other side of town, at $20 a trip one way.

The Quality Inn in Glendale could run you $60-some a night, but it's north of Glendale Avenue on 59th Avenue, so there will be a drive on surface streets to get to the complex, which is on the other side of 100th Avenue. As long as you're going to have to have a car to see games at Camelback Ranch and probably a couple of other venues, it would be no less convenient to stay at a motel off of I-17 in Phoenix for $50 a night (although it's possible their rates might go up to exploit the March bounty). Camelback has an I-17 exit (south of Bethany Home, which is south of Glendale Avenue). It will add a few minutes to your trip to Camelback Ranch, but you will be closer to some of the other ballparks where the Sox might be playing.

In the past, most of the White Sox players who stay at a hotel in the spring, have stayed at the Residence Inn in Glendale. There you can get a free breakfast and complimentary Internet access, but it, too, is almost $200 a night.

I knew the hotels around the University of Phoenix stadium were expensive. I stand corrected about the Hampton Inn in Goodyear I mentioned in my earlier post. I stayed there after Spring Training was over in 2008 for a little under $100 per night. I should have realized that the rates really increase during Spring Training. The per night room rate there during Spring Training is $143. Also for young guys looking for fun places to go at night, Goodyear is not the place to be.

nug0hs
01-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Update: we've discovered that the 'Hawks are staying in the Sheraton Four Points, so we'll be staying there. Thanks for all the good advice so far people, keep it coming!

Dirty30
01-27-2010, 11:28 AM
You need a car.

I am getting one for the week and its only $240 through hotwire.

Does anyone know where or how to rent a car if you are under 25? It seems like every place has at least a $25 per day charge if you are under 25 years old. Anyone know of a way to get around this? It would be nice to save that money.

TDog
01-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Update: we've discovered that the 'Hawks are staying in the Sheraton Four Points, so we'll be staying there. Thanks for all the good advice so far people, keep it coming!

That is odd. I stayed at the Renaissance for a week, and all the hockey teams that came to town during that time stayed there. The bus dropped the players off at the stadium hours before the game before stopping at the hotel next door, where team staff emptied the players' bags and took them up to the rooms. The teams left the morning after, but I never saw any of the players at the hotel. I'm sure they had breakfast the next morning, probably in the restaurant after I left for the day. I suppose, though, with hockey teams only being in a city for one night, it doesn't really matter where they crash after a game if the team bus takes them back to the hotel.

There are two Sheraton Four Points hotels in the Phoenix area, of course, and neither are in Glendale. One is off I-17 and near Metro Center in Phoenix proper, which logistically would seem a good base for operations for attacking spring training as a Sox fan with a car. My guess is that's the one you're talking about. The other is in Tempe, which is much closer to the airport, but on the opposite end of the metro area from Glendale.

manders_01
01-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Although you said you found someplace, if other are looking, I finally found a good deal. Everything I kept finding was super expensive until I looked at the Comfort Suites in Tolleson. It's about a five minute walk from the Courtyard I stayed at last year which was a ten minute drive to CBR. Got it for $99 a night. I was looking near UofP Stadium but that was WAY too expensive.

And yes, you absolutely need a car. If you are looking to save some money, take the Super Shuttle to your hotel (usually $20 a person) or split a cab (that may be cheaper) then rent from someone who does pick-ups. I did that last year and saved a bundle.

nug0hs
01-29-2010, 09:53 AM
There are two Sheraton Four Points hotels in the Phoenix area, of course, and neither are in Glendale. One is off I-17 and near Metro Center in Phoenix proper, which logistically would seem a good base for operations for attacking spring training as a Sox fan with a car. My guess is that's the one you're talking about. The other is in Tempe, which is much closer to the airport, but on the opposite end of the metro area from Glendale.

Yep, its that one (NW side of Phoenix, barely in the city limits still). We managed to find 3 nights at this place plus round trip airfare for under $700 a person, so there are still some good deals out there! We also bought our Thursday Sox/Cubs tickets so I am excited for that :D:. One thing it's hard to get used to...the Hawks/Coyotes tickets are as little as $16! That could end up being the cheapest part of the whole weekend. :bandance: