PDA

View Full Version : White Sox have "little interest" in Ardolis Chapman

doublem23
11-09-2009, 03:45 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/cubs-white-sox-have-little-interest-in-cuban-lh-aroldis-chapman.html

Damn budget, but if the Sox don't have unlimited cash to spend, they don't need to spend it on starting pitching.

jabrch
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
I just don't see this as the best way to spend this kind of money. He may be the real deal - but if we have this kind of money laying around, the rotation is not where I would look to spend it.

WhiteSox5187
11-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Isn't he supposed to make Carlos Zambrano seem mild mannered? I thought I read on ESPN a scout said that Chapman had a "long way to go" before being MLB ready.

oeo
11-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Isn't he supposed to make Carlos Zambrano seem mild mannered? I thought I read on ESPN a scout said that Chapman had a "long way to go" before being MLB ready.

Anyone that watched the WBC saw that he has electric stuff, but has trouble controlling it and was easily rattled when things didn't go his way. He's going to need some time in the minors.

JermaineDye05
11-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm sure the sox of A LOT of interest in Chapman but the fact is they have little MONEY and more pressing needs.

BleacherBandit
11-09-2009, 06:02 PM
This makes sense. If you'r looking for a fifth starter, I don't think you need Chapman, and even then I don't believe he'd be major-league ready. The Sox need to invest in 1. a leadoff hitter (if one exists on the market) and b. the bullpen. Go get 'em Kenny.

DumpJerry
11-09-2009, 06:40 PM
I loved the comment after the article from an alleged Sox fan who says the Sox burned their Cuban pipeline with Contreras gone and Alexei "not liking it here." Somebody forgot to inform Mr. Santo about Viciedo.

Tool.

HomeFish
11-09-2009, 06:51 PM
You mean Viciedo the bust?

DumpJerry
11-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Whatever. I was merely stating the poster at the Tribune (was it you?????) seems to think that without Contreras and Alexei allegedly "unhappy," we have lost our Cuban pipeline. I am not referring to the quality of Mr. Viciedo since I have not seen him play, unlike you who has apparently scouted him extensively in your free time.

DirtySox
11-09-2009, 07:10 PM

While I wouldn't be surprised if he does bust, it's a little early to make that classification.

Oh, almost forgot:

:dtroll:

GoGoCrede
11-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I loved the comment after the article from an alleged Sox fan who says the Sox burned their Cuban pipeline with Contreras gone and Alexei "not liking it here." Somebody forgot to inform Mr. Santo about Viciedo.

Tool.

Wow, since when does Alexei not like it here? I didn't know the guy was a mind reader.

BleacherBandit
11-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Wow, since when does Alexei not like it here? I didn't know the guy was a mind reader.

I don't think that anybody who gets as much **** from Ozzie as he does would like it here.

doublem23
11-09-2009, 08:37 PM
This makes sense. If you'r looking for a fifth starter, I don't think you need Chapman, and even then I don't believe he'd be major-league ready. The Sox need to invest in 1. a leadoff hitter (if one exists on the market) and b. the bullpen. Go get 'em Kenny.

Actually, I think that's why Chapman here makes a lot of sense... Not many other teams out there have the luxury of SP that we have and can sign a guy with his kind of stuff and let him develop in the minors for a year. If he signs with probably any of the other 29 teams, he immediately is in their starting rotation, on a direct course to crashing and burning.

If his agent really wanted the scenario that gave Chapman the best chance to make it in the majors, the Sox would be a very nice option. If he wants the big, guaranteed payday, then we're not the right fit.

DSpivack
11-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Actually, I think that's why Chapman here makes a lot of sense... Not many other teams out there have the luxury of SP that we have and can sign a guy with his kind of stuff and let him develop in the minors for a year. If he signs with probably any of the other 29 teams, he immediately is in their starting rotation, on a direct course to crashing and burning.

If his agent really wanted the scenario that gave Chapman the best chance to make it in the majors, the Sox would be a very nice option. If he wants the big, guaranteed payday, then we're not the right fit.

The biggest reason to me is $. I seriously doubt the Sox can afford him, and it wouldn't be prudent spending at this point, anyway.

palehozenychicty
11-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I think our franchise would be a good fit, as he could learn for a couple years in the minors. The bidding will be too great, though. This is another example for the argument of a structured international draft. He could get rushed through and crash.

BleacherBandit
11-10-2009, 12:11 AM

Either way I think he's going to go for the big-bucks. In that case, I wouldn't be willing to spend so much on a prospect with immense raw-talent if he isn't guaranteed to make it big. Would it be epic to have another superstar to add to our rotation? Yes! But would it be necessary? Probably not. If an Ardolis Chapman-version of an outfielder comes along, sign us up, Kenny.

GAsoxfan
11-10-2009, 01:45 PM
I think our franchise would be a good fit, as he could learn for a couple years in the minors. The bidding will be too great, though. This is another example for the argument of a structured international draft. He could get rushed through and crash.

And then Kenny will be there to scoop him up.

Hopefully he'll be Contreras 2.0 (flame out with his original team and then put it together with the Sox).

Jim Shorts
11-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Alexei "not liking it here."

Where did this come from? The mind of the person that made the comment?

I've never heard such a thing other than he and AJ getting into it this year.

UChicagoHP
11-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Every single MLB team would love to sign Chapman, the Sox simply can't pay what the Yankees or RedSox can...

MLB = English Premier League...getting worse with each passing year.