PDA

View Full Version : What Would It Take To Get Uggla?

AzureJazzMan
11-09-2009, 02:03 PM
I can see the headlines already, "White Sox Winning Uggla!!!"

Since we need a solid DH, who can hit for power, and the Marlins are looking to unload some arbitration eligible players (see, the Hermida deal)...I am thinking that he profiles as a younger version of Thome.

The thing is, what it would take to grab a Dan Uggla? What does Florida need, that we have? That we are willing to give up?

JohnTucker0814
11-09-2009, 02:18 PM
I was just thinking about this. I'd be okay with adding Uggla! He gives us the power that our team is needing along with not being a base clogger! I'd be happy with Uggla playing 2B and keep Beckham at 3B. Then you can use Teahen as a super sub everyday player. 1 game a week in LF, RF, 3B, DH, 1B.

AzureJazzMan
11-09-2009, 02:22 PM
That's what I was thinking as well. He adds versatility and can play the field when need be at 2B, 3B, or 1B (though he can be a butcher in the field). He's arbitration eligible for '10 and '11 seasons.

Florida, apparently needs a RF and better defensive 2B, so, I am wondering what they would take from KW to make something like this happen?

KMcMahon817
11-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I was just thinking about this. I'd be okay with adding Uggla! He gives us the power that our team is needing along with not being a base clogger! I'd be happy with Uggla playing 2B and keep Beckham at 3B. Then you can use Teahen as a super sub everyday player. 1 game a week in LF, RF, 3B, DH, 1B.

Uggla is an ABSOLUTE butcher in the field. He is a tremendous downgrade over anyone on the Sox that can conceivably see time at 2nd base. If the Sox get him, which would be nice, he should be DH and get very occasinal starts at 2nd to rest Beckham (if that is where he stays).

KMcMahon817
11-09-2009, 02:26 PM
That's what I was thinking as well. He adds versatility and can play the field when need be at 2B, 3B, or 1B (though he can be a butcher in the field). He's arbitration eligible for '10 and '11 seasons.

Florida, apparently needs a RF and better defensive 2B, so, I am wondering what they would take from KW to make something like this happen?

Retherford and mid-level pitching prospect maybe..?

tm1119
11-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Uggla isnt all that great, wouldnt give up much at all to get him. The HR's and RBI' look nice on paper, but if you look further his numbers arent very good. He K's a lot, doesnt get on base very well at all, and even his SLG % is pretty low. He is a home run or nothing guy, which is not what we need.

Pablo_Honey
11-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Uggla isnt all that great, wouldnt give up much at all to get him. The HR's and RBI' look nice on paper, but if you look further his numbers arent very good. He K's a lot, doesnt get on base very well at all, and even his SLG % is pretty low. He is a home run or nothing guy, which is not what we need.

What are you talking about? He would fit just right in! Seriously though, the only glaring issue, albeit a major one, is his K rate. His walk totals have been increasing (48, 68, 77) which is nice to see, but unfortunately so has been his strikeotus (123, 163, 171). This could potentially be a result of him trying to be more patient and striking out looking more. I haven't watched him myself so I can't say if my assumption is true or not, but just the numbers alone seem to indicate something positive. Also, USCF is designed for homeruns not doubles so I wouldn't worry about Uggla not hitting doubles since his job would be to hit homeruns. If Kenny can pry him away without giving up too much, he wouldn't be a bad option for sure. If he's traded to us, I just hope that he deosn't turn into the second coming of Nick Swisher because Uggla reminds me a lot of Swisher.

soxinem1
11-09-2009, 03:06 PM

Ala Mike Jacobs from 2008. I agree, he is not the type of guy I would add. I'd rather take the gamble on Austin Kearns, Delgado, or Blalock.

We need the same things. Why would we trade them these players if we need them ourselves?

Plus, we don't even have them.

dickallen15
11-09-2009, 03:41 PM
If you didn't like Jim Thome as a DH, you won't like a guy who hits for less power per AB, gets on less and strikes out just as much.