PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Free Agent Options

tm1119
11-08-2009, 02:03 PM
So KW is crying poor again this off-season and I have no real reason not to believe him. So instead of creating 100 different threads with random unreasonable players with ?'s after their names lets throw some names out that are reasonable and good for the team. Ill start it off with a few names I wouldnt mind seeing here next season.

Hank Blalock- He can play 1B/3B and DH. He is also the left handed hitter we need in the middle of the lineup. Hes coming off of injury plagued seasons with a poor performance so he will most likely come cheap. When healthy hes proven to be ale to hit 25+HR's with 100 RBI. Would be a nice buy low option with low risk/high reward potential.

Xavier Nady- Can play LF/RF adequately and again should be cheap because of injury plagued season. When healthy he is a solid hitter, nothing special, but solid. .280/.340/20 HR. The corner OF market is weak and whoever is available is going to cost a whole lot of money. Nady would be a decent 1 or 2 year deal stop gap.

Coco Crisp- Royals didnt exercise his option making him a FA. Hes really not all that good, I know that. But we need some speed injected into the lineup and Crisp would add that. He also plays a very good CF, and that would be the most important factor for me. If he can hit .280 with a .340 or so OBP, steal some bases, and play the great D he always has then he would be a nice pickup.

Throw some more names out there via FA or trade.....

Lorenzo Barcelo
11-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Hank Blalock has Scott Borasss as an agent, so that won't happen.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/10/scott-boras-cli.html

kittle42
11-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Cheap Free Agent Options should be the annual title for the Sox offseason thread.

tm1119
11-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Hank Blalock has Scott Borasss as an agent, so that won't happen.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/10/scott-boras-cli.html

Hmm didnt know that so yeah most likely a no.

Just curious, have the white sox ever officially said that they refuse to negotiate with Boras or is this just assumed?

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-08-2009, 04:08 PM

Just curious, have the white sox ever officially said that they refuse to negotiate with Boras or is this just assumed?

I think it's because of the lack of contracts with players that have him as an agent.

PalehosePlanet
11-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Maybe Randy Winn or Austin Kearns for the OF. Possibly Josh Bard for backup catcher if we don't resign Castro.

In the bullpen, we could possibly take a chance on guys like Joaquin Benoit, Takashi Saito or Kiko Calero.

KMcMahon817
11-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Maybe Randy Winn or Austin Kearns for the OF. Possibly Josh Bard for backup catcher if we don't resign Castro.

In the bullpen, we could possibly take a chance on guys like Joaquin Benoit, Takashi Saito or Kiko Calero.

If the Sox sign Kearns, it better be to a minor league deal hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. He hasn't done squat since signing that big contract.

DumpJerry
11-08-2009, 06:12 PM

They have negotiated and signed Borass clients. Joe Crede is one example. Rick Hahn usually handles Borass, I guess Kenny would not rather deal with him.

EMachine10
11-08-2009, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't mind Xavier Nady if we get spurned on some superior options. I've always liked him for some reason.

Lip Man 1
11-08-2009, 06:28 PM
The Sox have never publicly stated it but practically everyone in MLB and in the media knows that Jerry / Kenny and Boras do not get along. The Sox simply will not draft his clients not sign his free agents.

Type in at google Kenny Williams-Scott Boras and you'll get a ton of stories dating back to the Alex Rodriguex fiasco. Even before that the two sides didn't get along... remember Jeff Weaver ? Bobby Seay??

And if the Sox decide to deal A.J., Olivo is now on the market. He'd be a decent back up plan.

Lip

Dibbs
11-08-2009, 06:56 PM
We are in big, big trouble if we don't add serious offensive help. A couple average players to fill in the gaps is not going to work.

Tragg
11-08-2009, 07:15 PM
We need a RF and he won't come cheap.

I think the pen is okay as is. The 2 young guys would be great additions, getting ML experience and helping the team.

Frater Perdurabo
11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
And if the Sox decide to deal A.J., Olivo is now on the market. He'd be a decent back up plan.

I'd sign Olivo simply to be AJ's backup, and then give both of them a some ABs in the DH rotation, and retain Casto as a third catcher.

Of course, Olivo probably doesn't want to come back here to be a backup.

mzh
11-08-2009, 07:30 PM
I'd sign Olivo simply to be AJ's backup, and then give both of them a some ABs in the DH rotation, and retain Castro as a third catcher.

Isn't Flowers supposedly going to be our backup catcher/DH next year? I suppose if he is playing both we would need to have a third catcher, but then I would still see no point in bringing in Castro and Olivo

Noneck
11-08-2009, 07:30 PM

And wont come on the cheap.

mzh
11-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Going away from backup catchers, the Phillies just declined the option on Pedro Feliz. He provides a good glove in the corners, and could easily play 3rd when we want to give Teahen a day off. His bat is not what it used to be, but he might come cheap if nobody else wants him.

DirtySox
11-08-2009, 07:33 PM
We need a RF and he won't come cheap.

I think the pen is okay as is. The 2 young guys would be great additions, getting ML experience and helping the team.

Referring to Nunez and Hudson I assume?

Clevelan Santeliz and Kyle Bellamy could also be in the mix for relief spots at some point during the year.

russ99
11-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Isn't Flowers supposedly going to be our backup catcher/DH next year? I suppose if he is playing both we would need to have a third catcher, but then I would still see no point in bringing in Castro and Olivo

Considering he did very little with the big club this season, I could see the Sox keeping Flowers in AAA for a partial year. Maybe he can be next year's Beckham.

And Ozzie's been very close with Henry Blanco, so he might be the guy they bring in.

Daver
11-08-2009, 08:36 PM
The Sox have never publicly stated it but practically everyone in MLB and in the media knows that Jerry / Kenny and Boras do not get along. The Sox simply will not draft his clients not sign his free agents.

Type in at google Kenny Williams-Scott Boras and you'll get a ton of stories dating back to the Alex Rodriguex fiasco. Even before that the two sides didn't get along... remember Jeff Weaver ? Bobby Seay??

Lip

I wouldn't be so sure that Miguel would be welcome back, I have no idea what went on between him and the coaching staff, but to trade a catcher off of your 25 man roster during the season is very unusual, and tells me that the coaching staff wanted him gone.

Tragg
11-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Referring to Nunez and Hudson I assume?

Clevelan Santeliz and Kyle Bellamy could also be in the mix for relief spots at some point during the year.
Yea;
Jenks, Thornton, Carrasco, Pena, Nunez and Hudson is pretty solid, I think. One more good arm would help though.

Lip Man 1
11-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Daver:

I do recall at the time Ozzie saying something along the line of the pitchers didn't like throwing to him.

You may have a valid point but I suggested him because if as Mark Gonzales' mentioned that it wouldn't surprise him if Kenny moved a player or two no one expected to give him financial room, A.J. could be the guy and Olivo would be an adequate fill in.

Lip

jabrch
11-08-2009, 09:25 PM
The Sox simply will not draft his clients

That's simply untrue.

y2j2785
11-08-2009, 11:26 PM
The guy at mlbtraderumors predicts that the sox will sign Vlad Guerrero.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/2010-top-50-free-agents.html

voodoochile
11-08-2009, 11:36 PM

He fits the profile and would still afford the Sox flexibility as he should be able to start 70 or so games in RF if he can stay healthy. He's only 35. The question is how much will he get?

Noneck
11-09-2009, 12:11 AM
He fits the profile and would still afford the Sox flexibility as he should be able to start 70 or so games in RF if he can stay healthy. He's only 35. The question is how much will he get?

You do realize he only played 2 games this year in RF? And next year you think he can play 70?

VMSNS
11-09-2009, 02:07 AM

The guy is slower than molasses, but he's a good hitter. I'd be okay with signing Vlad if the deal is reasonable.

Craig Grebeck
11-09-2009, 04:26 AM
Signing Vlad Guerrero to do anything but swing the bat would only further confirm what some of us already know: this franchise doesn't give a damn about defense.

I'd rather just go after a guy like Randy Winn and hope he bounces back offensively. His defense is still amazing.

Edit: also, Vlad's offense is disappearing. So I'm not sure what value people are assigning to him -- but it doesn't come from his bat or his glove.

parlaycard
11-09-2009, 07:09 AM
I wouldn't be so sure that Miguel would be welcome back, I have no idea what went on between him and the coaching staff, but to trade a catcher off of your 25 man roster during the season is very unusual, and tells me that the coaching staff wanted him gone.

Or that they really wanted Freddie Garcia.

Unfortunately sometimes you have to give up something to get something.

The Immigrant
11-09-2009, 07:10 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Cameron signed to a one year deal with incentives and a team option.

doublem23
11-09-2009, 07:18 AM
The Sox simply will not draft his clients not sign his free agents.

Just like when they didn't draft Jordan Danks.

doublem23
11-09-2009, 07:20 AM
Or that they really wanted Freddie Garcia.

Unfortunately sometimes you have to give up something to get something.

Seriously. Freddy was the most coveted starter in 2004 and it was a bygone conclusion that somehow the Yankees were going to win the Freddy Garcia sweepstakes. Considering that Olivo turned out to be the most prolific MLB player we dealt for Sweaty Freddy, I'd say that deal went pretty well.

The Immigrant
11-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Just like when they didn't draft Jordan Danks.

Right, but they didn't sign Jordan until well after both he and John fired Boras, so the Sox never had to negotiate with the evil one.

voodoochile
11-09-2009, 09:14 AM
You do realize he only played 2 games this year in RF? And next year you think he can play 70?

He had an injured pectoral and knee problems this year. The previous year he played 99 in RF. It will come down to if he is healthy, yes, but if he is, then yes I do.

voodoochile
11-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Signing Vlad Guerrero to do anything but swing the bat would only further confirm what some of us already know: this franchise doesn't give a damn about defense.

I'd rather just go after a guy like Randy Winn and hope he bounces back offensively. His defense is still amazing.

Edit: also, Vlad's offense is disappearing. So I'm not sure what value people are assigning to him -- but it doesn't come from his bat or his glove.

He had two injuries this year that limited his PT and his ability. The question is if those injuries are a sign of things to come or merely a bad year. He'll be 35 if he stays healthy I would think he can post an OPS in the high .800's at least.

Lip Man 1
11-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Double:

And as soon as he's eligible for free agency, "he gone..."

It was an aberration, period.

Again google "Kenny Williams - Scott Boras- White Sox" you'll get stories from everywhere. The K.C. Star, Seattle Times, CNN Sports, everywhere. Read what the stories say.

Come talk to me when Kenny acquires two or three of his clients in a season and not two or three over a 15 year span.

Given the evidence accumulated over the past 20 years, going back to the days and war of words between the Sox and him over Jeff Weaver and Bobby Seay, it is amazing to me that anyone can not believe, the unless the situation is heavily tilted in the Sox favor (i.e. controlling Crede for three years before losing him) the Sox simply will not deal with him or his clients.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but it is in fact reality.

Just last year JR in an interview came out and blamed the issues in baseball on Donald Fehr and Scott Boras. By name.

Yea they are willing to work together. That's almost as good as "trust me" by Lovie Smith. LOL.

Lip

tm1119
11-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Id like to throw a few more names out there after looking over the FA list in depth:

Myers/Duchscherer- I getting 1 of these guys could really help us. They would both be used out of the pen, but would be there in case Freddy doesnt work out as our 5th starter

Glaus- I know he a huge injury risk, and the steroid allegations dont help either, but he is a big power threat when healthy. He could help us out a lot at 3B/DH

GoSox2K3
11-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Cheap Free Agent Options should be the annual title for the Sox offseason thread.

White Sox Fever, Catch It!!!!!!

SoxNation05
11-10-2009, 08:30 PM
MLBTRs has Adrian Beltre at 8 while Dye is 40?

I would like any of these: Vlad, Duchscherer, Putz or Matsui.

I think Vlad can be a 2005 version of Dye and Duchscherer a 2005 version of Dustin Hermanson. I love Duchscherer's felxibility because he has done it out of the pen and in the rotation.

I want Putz to fill in the experience hole in the back of the bullpen and Matsui could be the lefty in the middle of the lineup we need. I love how Matsui hits with RISP.

tm1119
11-10-2009, 08:38 PM
What about Nick Johnson at DH? He fills the left handed bat we are lacking. He may not have the big power you would expect from a DH, but what he lacks there he makes up by getting on base at .400+ clip. Im really not sure what he is slated to make in the open market though.

soxinem1
11-11-2009, 11:56 AM
MLBTRs has Adrian Beltre at 8 while Dye is 40?

I would like any of these: Vlad, Duchscherer, Putz or Matsui.

I think Vlad can be a 2005 version of Dye and Duchscherer a 2005 version of Dustin Hermanson. I love Duchscherer's felxibility because he has done it out of the pen and in the rotation.

I want Putz to fill in the experience hole in the back of the bullpen and Matsui could be the lefty in the middle of the lineup we need. I love how Matsui hits with RISP.

The first two players would be nice to add, however Vlad Guerrero has some serious leg issues and Justin Duchscherer has been dealing with depression. They would be extra risky, but potentailly, very high reward.

Putz's injuries remind me of what happened to Duane Ward when he was with TOR. Though Putz, so far, has not experienced the arm/elbow issues Ward did, the sharp drop in velocity did Ward in right after a monster season.

Matsui would be an easy yes, but the $$$$ might be a bit high.

DirtySox
11-11-2009, 11:58 AM
What about Nick Johnson at DH? He fills the left handed bat we are lacking. He may not have the big power you would expect from a DH, but what he lacks there he makes up by getting on base at .400+ clip. Im really not sure what he is slated to make in the open market though.

I like Nick Johnson as an option, and I think Herm could keep him healthy.

SoxNation05
11-11-2009, 06:12 PM
The first two players would be nice to add, however Vlad Guerrero has some serious leg issues and Justin Duchscherer has been dealing with depression. They would be extra risky, but potentailly, very high reward.

Putz's injuries remind me of what happened to Duane Ward when he was with TOR. Though Putz, so far, has not experienced the arm/elbow issues Ward did, the sharp drop in velocity did Ward in right after a monster season.

Matsui would be an easy yes, but the $$$$ might be a bit high.

I wasn't aware of Justin Duchscherer's condition, I hope the best for him.

tm1119
11-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Add Luke Scott to the list of OF/DH? Lefty and can hit the ball out of the ballpark at a decent rate and his OBP isnt bad either. He is arbitration eligible and the Orioles may not want to pay him any more. A couple decent prospects could land him.

He is more of a last resort option though in my opinion.

Dub25
11-11-2009, 10:28 PM

Lip

Well, thank God the Danks boys wised up...

KMcMahon817
11-14-2009, 05:44 PM
MLBtraderumors is reporting that Eric Gagne is looking to return to the big leagues this year and would be willing to sign a minor league deal. Not saying he would be a great pick up, but he may be worth taking a chance on as a low risk, high reward signing. :cool:

mzh
11-14-2009, 05:51 PM
MLBtraderumors is reporting that Eric Gagne is looking to return to the big leagues this year and would be willing to sign a minor league deal. Not saying he would be a great pick up, but he may be worth taking a chance on as a low risk, high reward signing. :cool:

As what? A closer? a setup man? An insurance policy in case Thornton can't close? I wouldn't object to having him sign a minor league deal and call him up in any of the scenarios I just mentioned or if Jenks or Thornton gets traded or hurt.

KMcMahon817
11-14-2009, 07:53 PM
As what? A closer? a setup man? An insurance policy in case Thornton can't close? I wouldn't object to having him sign a minor league deal and call him up in any of the scenarios I just mentioned or if Jenks or Thornton gets traded or hurt.

Or just as another bullpen arm if he can find himself in the minors....

Lip Man 1
11-14-2009, 08:41 PM
In the early part of the decade there were reports that Kenny had interest in him and was talking to the Dodgers at one time about a deal according to The Sporting news, then he really hit it big and was untradable.

Lip

mzh
11-15-2009, 02:34 PM
In the early part of the decade there were reports that Kenny had interest in him and was talking to the Dodgers at one time about a deal according to The Sporting news, then he really hit it big and was untradable.

Lip

Didn't Gagne fail a steroid test at some point after his great years? While I am not totally open to signing him, if there aren't many options left I wouldn't mind having a former Cy Young winner in our pen I suppose...

KMcMahon817
11-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Didn't Gagne fail a steroid test at some point after his great years? While I am not totally open to signing him, if there aren't many options left I wouldn't mind having a former Cy Young winner in our pen I suppose...

Yah, he used at one point in his career.

I think this could be a decent signing-sign him to a minor league contract, see if he can get the job done in the minors, and if he can't, cut him loose.

MLBTR claims he's willing to sign on the cheap, so why not give it a shot?

russ99
11-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Yah, he used at one point in his career.

I think this could be a decent signing-sign him to a minor league contract, see if he can get the job done in the minors, and if he can't, cut him loose.

MLBTR claims he's willing to sign on the cheap, so why not give it a shot?

I'd rather see Kenny go after a guy like Mike Gonzalez (if his option isn't picked up by Atlanta) since he can close for less than a closer's salary.

Gagne's washed up. If Kenny decides to take a shot (as he sometimes does) on a 1 year minor league deal, that's fine, but I have more confidence in Linebrink turning it around (not much) then Gagne becoming a capable MLB reliever again.

It's moot if Jenks comes back, since we'd then only need a RH 7/8 inning guy to replace Dotel, but I have a suspicion that Jenks will be traded before his arb hearing comes up.

KMcMahon817
11-15-2009, 04:01 PM
I'd rather see Kenny go after a guy like Mike Gonzalez (if his option isn't picked up by Atlanta) since he can close for less than a closer's salary.

Gagne's washed up. If Kenny decides to take a shot (as he sometimes does) on a 1 year minor league deal, that's fine, but I have more confidence in Linebrink turning it around (not much) then Gagne becoming a capable MLB reliever again.

It's moot if Jenks comes back, since we'd then only need a RH 7/8 inning guy to replace Dotel, but I have a suspicion that Jenks will be traded before his arb hearing comes up.

You seem to be missing the point. I am not saying Kenny should sign Gagne thinking that he will be an important part of the bullpen. Just simply a cheap signing that could work out, it could not. Similar to Van Benschoten from last year, except Gagne actually has a chance at reviving his career.

I also would prefer Kenny to go after Gonzalez if he had to chose one, who wouldn't...

tm1119
11-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Gange wouldnt be a bad low risk high reward guy for a minor league contract. Highly doubt he has anything left though.
Gonzalez would be nice, but hes a type A free agent, and hes gonna cost a decent amount of money that we may or may not want to invest at this point given our financial issues.

Other options for the bull pen- Brandon Lyon and Chan Ho Park

KenBerryGrab
12-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Bringing this back up as it is being reported that Nick Johnson won't be offered arbitration. Not sure if that makes him more attractive to the White Sox, but they could do worse.

NLaloosh
12-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Kiko Calero.

PalehosePlanet
12-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Kiko Calero.

Yep, I suggested him earlier in the thread. With Dotel gone we definitely need another strikeout arm for the pen. If he can be had fairly cheap (e.g. 1.5 w/incentives) I'd go for it.

oeo
12-02-2009, 03:27 AM

He was in the Mitchell Report, I don't think he ever failed a test.

He's toast, and a lot of his success was probably due to PED's. Big pass on him.

tm1119
12-02-2009, 12:04 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/marlins-rumors-pinto-lindstrom-nunez.html

Marlins looking to get rid of arbitration eligible relief pitchers. I know mlbtraderumors usually isnt the best source, but the Marlins looking to shed salary is always believable to me.
Pinto is a pretty good lefty, but im not sure a 2nd lefty is worth trading for.
Nunez is a very solid young pitcher who could easily replace Dotel. He could be a little pricey in a trade though, as he did record 26 saves in a pretty successful season last year. I would love Nunez in the pen next year for a few prospects outside of our top 10.
Lindstrom has KW pickup written all over him actually. He is a power arm that has struggled up to this point in his career. He could be a nice resurrection project in the pen ala Thornton and Pena.

PalehosePlanet
12-02-2009, 11:38 PM

I've always liked Nick Johnson, but it seems lately that he can't stay on the field. Realistically I would think due to his injury history that he would get no better than a 2/10 sort of deal with incentives. However, my gut feeling is that some fiscally stupid team like The Giants or Orioles will give him 3/21 or so.

I don't know why but I'm starting to get this sinking feeling that we'll sign Aubrey Huff for about 1/5 to DH.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-03-2009, 02:31 AM
I don't know why but I'm starting to get this sinking feeling that we'll sign Aubrey Huff for about 1/5 to DH.

If that's the case, I think KW's MO this offseason is to get as many Sox-killers as possible on the Sox.

y2j2785
12-03-2009, 05:36 PM
I was over at mlbtraderumors and I noticed that it mentions that the sox were interested in Padilla. I find this surprising since he was the one that started the heated debate between Ozzie and the media regarding hitting batters in retaliation.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/cubs-and-cardinals-lead-chase-for-vicente-padilla.html

NLaloosh
12-04-2009, 01:45 AM
I was over at mlbtraderumors and I noticed that it mentions that the sox were interested in Padilla. I find this surprising since he was the one that started the heated debate between Ozzie and the media regarding hitting batters in retaliation.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/cubs-and-cardinals-lead-chase-for-vicente-padilla.html

I find it hard to believe becuase the White Sox have 6 starting pitchers and other more important needs.

CPditka
12-04-2009, 12:33 PM
How about Gary Matthews Jr. If we can get the Halos to pick up a large portion of his contract? They are actively shopping him.

Could hit leadoff? Just a thought...I think Id rather just sign Coco Crisp if hes healthy

PalehosePlanet
12-04-2009, 12:45 PM
How about Gary Matthews Jr. If we can get the Halos to pick up a large portion of his contract? They are actively shopping him.

Could hit leadoff? Just a thought...I think Id rather just sign Coco Crisp if hes healthy

No way. Matthews Jr. has to be the single most un-tradeable contract in baseball. Even in the scenario of the Halos and another team just trading bad contracts the other team would be stuck with a 4th/5th OF in Matthews.

soxinem1
12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
No way. Matthews Jr. has to be the single most un-tradeable contract in baseball. Even in the scenario of the Halos and another team just trading bad contracts the other team would be stuck with a 4th/5th OF in Matthews.

More than Carlos Silva's or Barry Zito's ????:?:

PalehosePlanet
12-04-2009, 01:01 PM
More than Carlos Silva's or Barry Zito's ????:?:

Point taken. Let's say top 5.

Either way there is no way anyone is taking Matthews off of The Angels hands unless they pay all or about 20 million of the 23.5 remaining on the contract AND the team receiving him gives up nothing in value to get him.

GAsoxfan
12-04-2009, 02:44 PM
If he's healthy, Delgado would be a good option. The downside is he's a DH-only player at this point in his career, but he's the left-handed power bat the Sox need.

Also, I don't know if he'd even want to come to Chicago. Didn't he nix a trade to the Sox at some point?

tm1119
12-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Does anybody think Orlando Hudson could still be an option? Polanco got a deal worth 6mil a year. Where does that put Hudson at? 3mil a year? I honestly think he would be a better leadoff hitter next season than both Pods and Crisp or whoever else we are looking at.
A lineup looking something like this could be pretty effective next season.
2b- Hudson
3b- Beckham
RF- Quentin
DH- ? LH power hitter to be named
1b- PK
C- AJ
CF- Rios
SS- Alexei
LF- Teahen

NLaloosh
12-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Dioner Navarro might become available and I would think about signing him to atwo year deal. He might be become AJ.'s replacement either allowing Flowers to play 1B or be moved in a trade.

KMcMahon817
12-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Not at all a free agent, and not cheap either, but I think the Sox could do worse than going after Mike Lowell. Have Boston take care of a lot of his contract, which they are currently willing to do with Texas, and move Teahen to RF, or to the super utility man that plays 4 or 5 days a week (which I would prefer).

I am not sure what Boston would ask for in return, but this guy can still rake. He hit .290 with 17 home runs and 75 rbi last year in only 450 at-bats. I don't know if that is our best option out there, but it is sure better than some of the choices.

DonnieDarko
12-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Why would we want an aging third baseman with bad knees?

KMcMahon817
12-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Why would we want an aging third baseman with bad knees?

I agree, but he doesn't need to play there everyday, he can DH some too. If Teahen were a super utility player he could get some time there, along with Vizquel, Lowell and Nix if he is on the team. Just an idea.

DonnieDarko
12-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Fair enough, but...I just don't think I would even want to trade prospects for him. It just doesn't make much sense.

Taliesinrk
12-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Fair enough, but...I just don't think I would even want to trade prospects for him. It just doesn't make much sense.

Plus, TCM needs a Cuban friend now that KW left him with noone after shipping out Mr. Contreras.

DonnieDarko
12-10-2009, 12:12 AM
...teal? >_>