PDA

View Full Version : Jim Thome?

chisox123
11-07-2009, 06:25 PM
With a hole at DH for next year, do you see the Sox bringing Jim back to the south side? I don't really know if they should and think if they could at least try and get Matsui it would be great, but he's probably going to want to much money. Jim would most likely give them a home town discount and can still provide some power.

Just wanted to get your thoughts.

Boondock Saint
11-07-2009, 06:38 PM
I never wanted him gone in the first place. It ruined my week when we traded him.

MarkZ35
11-07-2009, 07:28 PM
He's slow and his production has been on a decline every year for the last few seasons but he can still hit for some decent power from the left side. He's a class act and a good team leader so to me it all depends on the price.

DumpJerry
11-08-2009, 09:34 AM
He's slow and his production has been on a decline every year for the last few seasons but he can still hit for some decent power from the left side. He's a class act and a good team leader so to me it all depends on the price.
:?:? You're right. He only had the highest OBP on the 2009 White Sox.

Lip Man 1
11-08-2009, 10:49 AM
I think it's time to move in another direction. The man will be 40 I think soon.

Lip

guillensdisciple
11-08-2009, 10:52 AM
As a DH, I will gladly take him because he fills a troublesome spot with a very troubling spot.

MarkZ35
11-08-2009, 10:55 AM
:?:? You're right. He only had the highest OBP on the 2009 White Sox.
I don't think he batted lead off. He's on the team to drive in runs.

MisterB
11-08-2009, 12:02 PM
He's on the team to drive in runs.

Which he was doing better than anyone else on the team at the time he was traded, and did better than anyone except Quentin in '08.

russ99
11-08-2009, 12:21 PM
As long as he can keep playing at his 2009 level, is dropped in the order (not in the three spot) and can be brought in on a large discount, I'm all for it.

But I think Kenny's next acquisition will be a leadoff guy either in the IF or OF. I think he'd wait on Jim to sign him super-cheap in early February.

palehozenychicty
11-08-2009, 12:29 PM
I love the Thominator, but it's time to let go.

MarkZ35
11-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Which he was doing better than anyone else on the team at the time he was traded, and did better than anyone except Quentin in '08.
75 rbi's for 13 mil. a year? Other players can do that for half that price.

Marqhead
11-08-2009, 01:41 PM
75 rbi's for 13 mil. a year? Other players can do that for half that price.

I bet Jim Thome could do that for half the price as well.

KMcMahon817
11-08-2009, 02:43 PM

How about 1/4th...:cool:

MarkZ35
11-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Possibly but is he going to want to? I would like to think so but I don't know if that is realistic.

veeter
11-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Possibly but is he going to want to? I would like to think so but I don't know if that is realistic.If he would, sign him up.

Marqhead
11-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Possibly but is he going to want to? I would like to think so but I don't know if that is realistic.

I think it is very realistic to expect that Jim Thome will sign for much less than 13mil. Will it be with the Sox? Only time will tell.

I doubt he's getting much more than 1/2 that from anyone.

soxfanreggie
11-08-2009, 09:08 PM
I think it is very realistic to expect that Jim Thome will sign for much less than 13mil. Will it be with the Sox? Only time will tell.

I doubt he's getting much more than 1/2 that from anyone.

Well, you know no team in the NL will spend that much on a pinch hitter who can't play the field, so the teams he can go to is cut in half. Then looking at the AL, they have to have an open spot, be willing to pay him that much, and be in a good location. Big Jim has made a bunch of money over his career. Now seems to be the time where he plays in a place he likes and has a chance at the postseason. The Sox offer both. My thoughts, we can get him back here for a one year $4 or 5 million deal.

beasly213
11-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Well, you know no team in the NL will spend that much on a pinch hitter who can't play the field, so the teams he can go to is cut in half. Then looking at the AL, they have to have an open spot, be willing to pay him that much, and be in a good location. Big Jim has made a bunch of money over his career. Now seems to be the time where he plays in a place he likes and has a chance at the postseason. The Sox offer both. My thoughts, we can get him back here for a one year $4 or 5 million deal.

I have no problem with Thome whacking balls out of the park, my biggest thing about having him back are all of the times he is on 2nd and a single won't knock him in.

Or all of those long singles that otherwise might be a double.

I'm not sure what the answer at DH is but I don't think bringing Thome back is it.

HomeFish
11-09-2009, 09:05 AM
NO WANT.

Thome belongs in Cooperstown, not MLB.

slavko
11-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I have no problem with Thome whacking balls out of the park, my biggest thing about having him back are all of the times he is on 2nd and a single won't knock him in.

Or all of those long singles that otherwise might be a double.

I'm not sure what the answer at DH is but I don't think bringing Thome back is it.

This poster gets it. You can tolerate one guy like this in your lineup. We have Paulie. I'd prefer nobody who can't run, since it affects the baserunning of the next 2-3 guys in the lineup. Unless you want to take advantage of his OBP and bat him leadoff.

PatK
11-09-2009, 10:45 AM

Power is the last thing to go.

And the way things are, I'm more worried about getting someone who is going to be able to get on base in order to be driven in.

stevemcstud
11-09-2009, 11:07 AM
I would take on Jim for 1 year / 5m going up to 6.5m with incentives based on AB and RBIs.

sox1970
11-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Just repeating what some others are saying, but it's time to move on from Thome. They want to get more athletic. A more versatile lineup that doesn't have a set DH. Signing Thome would be a backwards move, and I doubt they're even looking at him as an option.

tick53
11-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Jim's up there agewise. Slow batspeed. Slow on the bases. Nah, sorry but that bird has flown.

voodoochile
11-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if they pursued it in February if all other options have fallen through and JT can be had for a song, but it won't and shouldn't be the first thing they try. Actually, it shouldn't be in the top 5 options, IMO.

BeeBeeRichard
11-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Depending on who the Yankees keep from the left side of the plate, I could see him going there for very cheap as a part-time DH in his quest to win a World Series.