PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik likely not back in 2010

doublem23
11-07-2009, 02:23 AM
Mark Gonzales filed a report in the Tribune today, saying that KW said Scotty Pods' contract demands likely means he gawn.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-07-white-sox-mark-teahen-nov07,0,5907676.story

KRS1
11-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Well, I hope Scotty gets the payday he's looking for and has a good run with that team. If he doesn't find that money, however, I'd have no problem with him being back on our bench on '10.

wassagstdu
11-07-2009, 07:41 AM
I'd like to know what salary the arguable 2009 Sox MVP is "demanding" and what the Sox think he is worth. How much more than $500K? Less than Mark Teahen? I am not liking the way this thing is developing so far. Pods and Getz out, Teahen in; Beckham jerked around, Ramirez cemented in a position where he has been a net liability. I sure hope KW has a better grand plan than the early moves seem to indicate.

Madvora
11-07-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm guessing that they're thinking that Jordan Danks can provide what we'd get out of Podsednik anyway, so if they need to, they'll go with him. There's a lot of talk about the guy for only November. I've never heard of them speaking about who's going to play where before spring training has even started before.

spongyfungy
11-07-2009, 08:33 AM
He probably wants long term security 2+ years. I can't imagine him wanting more than 4 mil per. It appears though that the pods camp are going to keep trying to re up with the sox, even reaching out to Rick Hahn

MrX
11-07-2009, 08:33 AM
I'd like to know what salary the arguable 2009 Sox MVP is "demanding" and what the Sox think he is worth. How much more than $500K? Less than Mark Teahen? I am not liking the way this thing is developing so far. Pods and Getz out, Teahen in; Beckham jerked around, Ramirez cemented in a position where he has been a net liability. I sure hope KW has a better grand plan than the early moves seem to indicate.

I wouldn't be surprised if length of the contract had more to do with the decision than money.

tstrike2000
11-07-2009, 08:36 AM
No wonder I haven't heard from chisoxgirl, she's been in mourning since hearing the news.

Red Barchetta
11-07-2009, 08:52 AM
I always liked Pods and he really helped us last year, however he has a history of 2 bad seasons for every 1 good season. The SOX brass know that.

I would like him back at a reasonable salary, however if he secures a better 3-year deal with another team, good for him.

The SOX did him a favor last year and brought him back into MLB. If it wasn't for KW, there is a good chance his career would have been over.

october23sp
11-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Well thanks for 2009, and of course thanks for the 7-6 win over the Astros.

Woofer
11-07-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm kind of torn on this one. Pods was great at the plate last year, and I don't want to go into 2010 without a leadoff hitter like last year.
Pods is a liability in the field though. Especially when he played in center field. He seems ok in left field, but Quentin has to be there.
I am hoping that Kenny has some answers here. I do not want any questions on this years opening day roster.

LoveYourSuit
11-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Pods was great for a bad team last season.

Long term contract for him is too much of a risk IMO.

If he doesn't accept a 1 year deal, let him walk.

jmeneghini1433
11-07-2009, 10:19 AM
The Sox will not resingn him. He wasa terrible base runner in 2009 and he's a garbage outfielder.

VMSNS
11-07-2009, 11:10 AM
I agree that the he probably wanted a long term contract (2+ years) and that's what scared the Sox away. Not the money. Also, didn't Ozzie say he wanted to use Pods as more of a utility player next season, while Pods said he wanted to be on a team where he could play everyday?

Nonetheless, I don't like that we're not signing him. He's our best and most realistic lead-off option, especially now that Getz is gone. He was also our best and most consistent hitter this season, and saved the Sox from being an absolute disaster.

JermaineDye05
11-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Boers said yesterday that Scott wanted 2 years for $15 million.

This is all for the best. Pods shouldn't be a DH and he's such a liability in the field and on the bases that he can't be a bench guy. Starting in the OF is out of the question for next years team.

Sargeant79
11-07-2009, 01:14 PM

:o:

Wow. Not even after his 2005 season would that have been an appropriate number. If that is what he is trying to get, I don't blame them for letting him go one bit. Even half of that would have been pushing it...

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-07-2009, 01:37 PM
As much as I like Pods, this is a good thing for the Sox. Chances are Pods won't repeat what he did this year, and I would rather the team spend money on a better player.

ChiSoxGirl
11-07-2009, 02:53 PM
No wonder I haven't heard from chisoxgirl, she's been in mourning since hearing the news.

:roflmao: The only reason I'm not officially in mourning is because I know filing for free agency doesn't necessarily mean a guy won't come back to the team he was on. Is it likely? Probably not, but at least I know there's still hope. Once Pods signs elsewhere, then the mourning period will commence.

chisoxfanatic
11-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Yea, I heard that on the B&B show as well, and the first thing I thought of was who the hell is going to give him that kind of money.

doublem23
11-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Yea, I heard that on the B&B show as well, and the first thing I thought of was who the hell is going to give him that kind of money.

Tom Hicks hasn't sold the Rangers yet, has he?

KRS1
11-07-2009, 03:18 PM

He'll struggle mightily to get half that in ANY market, especially based on last year's.

Taliesinrk
11-07-2009, 03:56 PM
He'll struggle mightily to get half that in ANY market, especially based on last year's.

I strongly disagree. While the market will certainly play a role in the debate, I could very easily see Pods getting a 2yr/$8mil. contract. All he needs to do is convince others that he's over the hump in regards to the injuries. If this "new training" he does really is that good, it'd be a steal for the team signing him. I think he'd be a great 4th OF for the Sox, and if they were to sign a Hudson/Figgins/known-commodity IFer to a bigger contract, would even work as part of the plans if he were starting... that's all dependent on his health. It is, however, important to remember that rumors of his improved health had come out before the Sox even signed him last year. It wasn't like he just started saying this after he stayed healthy all last season. IIRC, it was a Rockies announcer that was the one that was first talking about how his adjusted off-season work had made huge improvements.

All that said, I don't think I could go more than 2 yr/$10 mil on the Sox (not that they'll do that). Even then, you'd have to have all your other pieces already set. The great thing about it is that this could be the first year the Sox don't have a DH that cannot play the field in longer than I can remember (minus '05 and Carl Everett, but that was b/c of Big Frank being injured). Ozzie loves to mix-and-match, and the way the roster is setting up, he finally has some good flexibility (Kotsay, Teahan, Beckham, TCM, TCQ, and even Rios b/w RF and CF). Adding Pods to that mix would provide Ozzie the most flexible roster he has had (again, IIRC) since he's been here. Even if you don't like Ozzie's musical line-ups and defensive settings, he's going to do it. So, it only makes sense to provide him with the pieces necessasary. Plus, as of now, who do the Sox have that can lead-off? When healthy, Pods is in a class of only a few in regards to pure lead-off men in MLB.

KRS1
11-07-2009, 04:04 PM
I strongly disagree. While the market will certainly play a role in the debate, I could very easily see Pods getting a 2yr/$8mil. contract. All he needs to do is convince others that he's over the hump in regards to the injuries. If this "new training" he does really is that good, it'd be a steal for the team signing him. I think he'd be a great 4th OF for the Sox, and if they were to sign a Hudson/Figgins/known-commodity IFer to a bigger contract, would even work as part of the plans if he were starting... that's all dependent on his health. It is, however, important to remember that rumors of his improved health had come out before the Sox even signed him last year. It wasn't like he just started saying this after he stayed healthy all last season. IIRC, it was a Rockies announcer that was the one that was first talking about how his adjusted off-season work had made huge improvements.

All that said, I don't think I could go more than 2 yr/$10 mil on the Sox (not that they'll do that). Even then, you'd have to have all your other pieces already set. The great thing about it is that this could be the first year the Sox don't have a DH that cannot play the field in longer than I can remember (minus '05 and Carl Everett, but that was b/c of Big Frank being injured). Ozzie loves to mix-and-match, and the way the roster is setting up, he finally has some good flexibility (Kotsay, Teahan, Beckham, TCM, TCQ, and even Rios b/w RF and CF). Adding Pods to that mix would provide Ozzie the most flexible roster he has had (again, IIRC) since he's been here. Even if you don't like Ozzie's musical line-ups and defensive settings, he's going to do it. So, it only makes sense to provide him with the pieces necessasary. Plus, as of now, who do the Sox have that can lead-off? When healthy, Pods is in a class of only a few in regards to pure lead-off men in MLB.

Only time will tell, but I'm fairly confident he won't see half of that.

russ99
11-07-2009, 05:50 PM
He probably wants long term security 2+ years. I can't imagine him wanting more than 4 mil per. It appears though that the pods camp are going to keep trying to re up with the sox, even reaching out to Rick Hahn

That's what I'm thinking too, but the money would be more like $2.5-4M a year. I'd assume the Sox only want to sign him to a 2 year deal max and slightly over $1-1.5M.

If Scotty gets the payday and the security, I'll miss him but won't blame him one bit.

But I wonder if the posturing at this point is more to set a market value before FA begins in less than two weeks than any team actually being interested in signing him at those terms.

If the offers aren't there, maybe Scott will lower his demands a bit and come closer what the Sox are offering...

spongyfungy
11-07-2009, 06:48 PM
I thought I heard Mac mention 2 years for 15 mil but if he was referencing Boers, I don't believe it at all.

Boers' inside info is ALWAYS wrong

twinsuck
11-07-2009, 10:54 PM

This is all for the best. Pods shouldn't be a DH and he's such a liability in the field and on the bases that he can't be a bench guy. Starting in the OF is out of the question for next years team.
LOL He gone.

oeo
11-07-2009, 11:25 PM

Long term security? He realizes that last April he was sitting at home, correct? Now isn't the time to get greedy. If it's true he wants 2 years, $15 million he's going to end up without a job again. Look at some of the guys that had to take huge hits in salary last year and didn't sign until March.

Domeshot17
11-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Long term security? He realizes that last April he was sitting at home, correct? Now isn't the time to get greedy. If it's true he wants 2 years, $15 million he's going to end up without a job again. Look at some of the guys that had to take huge hits in salary last year and didn't sign until March.

It wouldnt shock me if the 2 years 15 million was blown up because the Sox lowballed a first offer.

I don't blame Pods 1 bit for wanting long term security. A lot of teams need a lead off man, and he just had a huge year. I wouldn't be shocked in the least to see him get a 2 year 8-10 mil deal or 3 year 15-20 mil. Teams get desperate, teams spend. I personally would try to keep him at 8 for 2, 4 per, throw a 3rd year incentive based option on their. 8 million plus the mad money his wife pulls in should set the Podednik's up for life.

doublem23
11-07-2009, 11:54 PM

Wanting a 2-year deal isn't the same as refusing to accept anything less than a 2-year deal. Now is the time to be greedy for Pods, he just had a monster year. At least 10 MLB teams are run by total morons, maybe even more. Why not try for it?

Note... I still doubt he'll get anything more than 1-year guaranteed with maybe some kind of option for 2011.

soxinem1
11-08-2009, 10:03 AM
I still think someone will give Pods something in the 3/18 mill range.

I'd rather have Blalock, Delgado, or even Johnny Damon as DH.

Damon intrugues me the most, depending on what he takes $$$$ wise. I could see Damon produce like Julio Franco did in 1994, and steal 15-25 bases too.

That would be a neat add-on from a DH.

Tragg
11-08-2009, 10:33 AM
I'd be shocked if he gets anything close to 3/18 or 2/15.

The problem here is that we have a LF. If TCQ could play right, it would be a different story.

Jjav829
11-08-2009, 10:46 AM
No one is guaranteeing a 33-year-old who has put up one good season in the past 3 years a 3-year contract.

Pods can look for a 2-year/$15 million deal, but it's not coming. And I guess you can't blame him. It's probably his last chance at multi-million deal before bouncing around as a 5th outfielder or playing for the Newark Bears. But realistically, he's not going to find that. If he's willing to take a nice one year deal with a club option for 2011, I'd take him back. Otherwise, we'll move on without Pods....again.

VMSNS
11-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I'd be shocked if he gets anything close to 3/18 or 2/15.

The problem here is that we have a LF. If TCQ could play right, it would be a different story.

Carlos can play right. I believe he did so in college and in Arizona.

DirtySox
11-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Kenny says no on Figgins, and talks with Pods have heated up.

Yuck.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/11/williams_says_no_on_figgins_de.html

Woofer
11-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Unless we are serious about finding another lead off hitter, I am fine with Pods coming back for another year with a club option for year 2. I would rather have Pods leadoff than anyone else on the roster, at least he can get on if healthy.

JermaineDye05
11-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Kenny says no on Figgins, and talks with Pods have heated up.

Yuck.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/11/williams_says_no_on_figgins_de.html

Kenny says 'no' to Figgins?

Everybody order your Figgins jerseys now.

Frater Perdurabo
11-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Unless we are serious about finding another lead off hitter, I am fine with Pods coming back for another year with a club option for year 2. I would rather have Pods leadoff than anyone else on the roster, at least he can get on if healthy.

I am OK with Pods LF, Rios CF and TCQ RF. One hole would remain: LH high-average #3 hitter who can play corner OF and DH. Is that too much to expect?

chunk
11-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I am OK with Pods LF, Rios CF and TCQ RF. One hole would remain: LH high-average #3 hitter who can play corner OF and DH. Is that too much to expect?

I'm not comfortable with that OF, because that's three question marks, two of whom have histories with injury.

Brian26
11-09-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm not comfortable with that OF, because that's three question marks, two of whom have histories with injury.

Rios is a question mark?

chunk
11-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah, in that there's a huge question regarding whether or not he can bounce back and produce before he got the big contract, or if he continues to hit the way he did last year.

WhiteSox5187
11-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Rios is a question mark?

Sure he is, you don't know what you're going to get out of him offensively. He looked absolutely lost this year at the plate.

palehozenychicty
11-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Pods ain't that good, not even as a stopgap. Sure, he can get on base, but is too inconsistent in many ways. I'd rather get by with someone else that has upside.

Craig Grebeck
11-10-2009, 02:01 AM
Rios is a question mark?
If people wrote off Nick Swisher post-2008, then Rios absolutely is a question mark.

NLaloosh
11-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Add Pods and Russell Branyan and this offense will be fine.

Craig Grebeck
11-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Add Pods and Russell Branyan and this offense will be fine.
And the defense...?

Balfanman
11-10-2009, 11:42 AM
And the defense...?
This I agree with. I am so tired of having a poor defensive club. With our starting staff I would at least like to see an average defense.

Craig Grebeck
11-10-2009, 11:44 AM
This I agree with. I am so tired of having a poor defensive club. With our starting staff I would at least like to see an average defense.
Why average? Why not go for a damn good defense? Hell, give me Mora and Winn and I'd be happy -- happier than having Pods and Teahen.

hawkjt
11-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Pods should get about 7-8 million for two years,with some kind of club option and buyout for a 3rd year.

I cannot understand why fans are saying that Figgins is worth 50 million for 5 years, while Pods is not worth 8 million for two.

Figgins has two injury-plagued years before his contract year last year,and is a total bum in postseason over 35 games.
Figgins led the league in getting picked off and getting caught stealing and he is supposed to be a wonderful baserunner compared to Pods?

Sign Pods,Kenny.

Zisk77
11-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Why average? Why not go for a damn good defense? Hell, give me Mora and Winn and I'd be happy -- happier than having Pods and Teahen.

Yuck

NLaloosh
11-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I say the Sox will sign him. They can't find a leadoff hitter anywhere for less.

NLaloosh
11-10-2009, 01:06 PM
And the defense...?

I was intending to use Branyan primarily as a DH but with some flexibility that we didn't have with Thome.

Branyan can fill in at 1B, 3B, RF and LF.

Balfanman
11-10-2009, 02:30 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with this Mr. Grebeck. I guess that I don't have a lot of faith that K. W. & Ozzie value defense that highly. I guess in my mind I've been reduced to hoping for an average defense. I don't know when the last time was that we had a well above average defense.

I'm just an old fashioned type of guy that gets excited when an above average starting rotation like we should have next season, gets paired with an above average defense. To me, that's exciting baseball.:bandance:

Nellie_Fox
11-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Pods should get about 7-8 million for two years,with some kind of club option and buyout for a 3rd year.You don't need a buyout for a club option; you just don't pick up the option if you don't want him back. You only need a buyout for a player option.

Save McCuddy's
11-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Pods should get about 7-8 million for two years,with some kind of club option and buyout for a 3rd year.

I cannot understand why fans are saying that Figgins is worth 50 million for 5 years, while Pods is not worth 8 million for two.

Figgins has two injury-plagued years before his contract year last year,and is a total bum in postseason over 35 games.
Figgins led the league in getting picked off and getting caught stealing and he is supposed to be a wonderful baserunner compared to Pods?

Sign Pods,Kenny.

Pods played for 1 year deals in 2007 and 2008 for $700,000 and $800,000 respectively. Following his 2005 season, we signed him to a deal that paid him his largest annual salary of $2.9 million in 2007. Why in the name of god does anyone in their right mind think he will get a deal paying him more than $3 million a year over multiple years? Especially in light of the fact that salary numbers are way down since his career peak in 2007.

soxinem1
11-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Pods played for 1 year deals in 2007 and 2008 for $700,000 and $800,000 respectively. Following his 2005 season, we signed him to a deal that paid him his largest annual salary of $2.9 million in 2007. Why in the name of god does anyone in their right mind think he will get a deal paying him more than $3 million a year over multiple years? Especially in light of the fact that salary numbers are way down since his career peak in 2007.

For the same reason Carlos Silva got $12 million a year from SEA: Someone will do it.

PalehosePlanet
11-10-2009, 04:24 PM
One of my co-workers just told me that he heard on The Score that it looks like the Sox now will resign Pods. Made it sound like the Score guys thought it was a done deal. Weird...

Anyone hear anything similar, or did my co-worker mishear what was said?

beasly213
11-10-2009, 04:25 PM
I heard the Sox may re sign pods. Something I wouldn't be a big fan of... But I guess things could be worse...

spawn
11-10-2009, 04:28 PM
One of my co-workers just told me that he heard on The Score that it looks like the Sox now will resign Pods. Made it sound like the Score guys thought it was a done deal. Weird...

It wouldn't surprise me. KW's comments were probably a bargaining ploy.

UChicagoHP
11-10-2009, 04:53 PM
I think a desperate team rolls the dice and gives Pods 2 years and 10 million(heck, he is arguably the best lead-off man on the market). With that being said, we just saw his career year, 100% sure of that. If he hits .260 next season, I'll eat my hat. Guy is horrible OF'er, and lacks baseball smarts on the bases. According to Mac(from 670 the Score) most of his teammates despise him as well.

Lundind1
11-10-2009, 05:02 PM
What is with all the negative reactions to him getting signed, not signed, shipped off on a golden rail, or otherwise. I think he is one of the best options that we are going to have. I have to admit that I was one of the ones who felt that he was done in 2007 and iffy about the contract last year but what the heck else do you want him to do to prove that he is a capable player. I hear all this crap about bad defense but all the 60 or so games that I saw him play in with my own eyes told me that besides getting late jumps on fly balls, he did alright.

So what, he needs to hit .400, slay the Cubs himself, pitch a perfect game, and balance the state budget before we consider him at least serviceable in a time when we are not going to get much better???

Let's just be happy that we actually had someone here who didn't get hurt this year and was able to get a few base hits along the way. Without him, 2009 was worse than 2007.

Corlose 15
11-10-2009, 06:06 PM
It's been brought up around here before but what about Marlon Byrd and Pods. He has some pop, can play all 3 outfield positions and plays fairly good defense I think. He has a lower OBP than I would like but adds athleticism, and a bit of power.

I'd prefer that the Sox get somebody like Matsui but maybe if they really don't have the money for something like that they'll go with an outstanding rotation, and solid defense and try to just score enough.

DirtySox
11-10-2009, 06:07 PM
It's been brought up around here before but what about Marlon Byrd and Pods. He has some pop, can play all 3 outfield positions and plays fairly good defense I think. He has a lower OBP than I would like but adds athleticism, and a bit of power.

I'd prefer that the Sox get somebody like Matsui but maybe if they really don't have the money for something like that they'll go with an outstanding rotation, and solid defense and try to just score enough.

I've been on the Byrd Bandwagon and would much rather have him then Pods.

KMcMahon817
11-10-2009, 06:09 PM

Ahh:o:! Who leads off? Rios, Beckham, Winn? No thank you. I'm not thrilled with Pods, but he is our best option. And in all honesty, I'd rather have him than Figgins for the 5 years 50 million he's going to get. He's not worth anywhere near that. Not that we would get him even if he was.

Craig Grebeck
11-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Ahh:o:! Who leads off? Rios, Beckham, Winn? No thank you. I'm not thrilled with Pods, but he is our best option. And in all honesty, I'd rather have him than Figgins for the 5 years 50 million he's going to get. He's not worth anywhere near that. Not that we would get him even if he was.
1. I'll eat my hat if Chone Figgins gets anywhere near 10 million a year for five years.
2. Leadoff isn't a position. Right field, on the other hand, is a position that needs filling. Winn is an excellent defender with a history of solid to above average offensive performance (sans last season). He can be had for cheap, which fits in with Kenny's statements about being broke.
3. Pods is not our best option. What an awful gamble that would be.

KMcMahon817
11-10-2009, 07:24 PM
1. I'll eat my hat if Chone Figgins gets anywhere near 10 million a year for five years.
2. Leadoff isn't a position. Right field, on the other hand, is a position that needs filling. Winn is an excellent defender with a history of solid to above average offensive performance (sans last season). He can be had for cheap, which fits in with Kenny's statements about being broke.
3. Pods is not our best option. What an awful gamble that would be.

1. I hope he doesn't get anywhere near 10 million, because he's not worth it.
2. Leadoff isn't a postion, you are correct, but with Mora and Winn in the everyday line-up, that doesn't leave anyone with solid leadoff capabilities. Furthermore, Winn is not a whole lot different from Kotsay with the bat, and is a little better fielder. The sox need more production from their rightfielder than Winn would provide. (Unless of course KW acquires a big bat for DH) I do not think Mora would be a terrible pick up at all, I am just making the point that those two alone are not going to do this offense a whole lot of good.
3. Who on the FA market is a better lead-off option? :scratch:

WhiteSox5187
11-10-2009, 07:38 PM

I was talking about this with someone and it's interesting cuz I can't help but wonder if the Sox are putting an emphasis on defense and you might see a '67 like team out there that is built around pitching and defense (with a bit of speed).

Daver
11-10-2009, 07:43 PM
I was talking about this with someone and it's interesting cuz I can't help but wonder if the Sox are putting an emphasis on defense and you might see a '67 like team out there that is built around pitching and defense (with a bit of speed).

The entire organizational philosophy would have to change for this to happen, the White Sox promote players based on offense, defense is completely optional.

tsoxman
11-11-2009, 05:35 AM
The entire organizational philosophy would have to change for this to happen, the White Sox promote players based on offense, defense is completely optional.

If so that will continue to be a major obstacle to the success of this organization long term.

spawn
11-11-2009, 06:25 AM
I think a desperate team rolls the dice and gives Pods 2 years and 10 million(heck, he is arguably the best lead-off man on the market). With that being said, we just saw his career year, 100% sure of that. If he hits .260 next season, I'll eat my hat. Guy is horrible OF'er, and lacks baseball smarts on the bases. According to Mac(from 670 the Score) most of his teammates despise him as well.
And how would Mac know this? I doubt he spends a lof of time in the Sox locker room. I wouldn't take anything seriously coming from that arrogant blowhard.

Jim Shorts
11-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Wow. Danny Mac being quoted for White Sox info.

that is really new to me

UChicagoHP
11-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Wow. Danny Mac being quoted for White Sox info.

that is really new to me

Just reporting what I heard, I know he 'aint the best source, but I doubt the man would just throw that out there if there wasn't a bit of substance to it. I don't mind Pods, and I hope Mac was simply BSing...I think there are better options(much better, imo) the Sox can pursue for LF, and I hope they do, but if Pods is the man in LF, it certainly isn't the end of the world(or the Sox 2010 season!).

spawn
11-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Just reporting what I heard, I know he 'aint the best source, but I doubt the man would just throw that out there if there wasn't a bit of substance to it. I don't mind Pods, and I hope Mac was simply BSing...I think there are better options(much better, imo) the Sox can pursue for LF, and I hope they do, but if Pods is the man in LF, it certainly isn't the end of the world(or the Sox 2010 season!).
Sure he would. He's not a journalist. He's a sports talkshow host. Again, how would he come across this information? THe only way would be to be present in the locker room regularly, and he's not. None of the reporters that cover the Sox have ever said that...at least not to my knowledge.

Nellie_Fox
11-11-2009, 01:03 PM
And how would Mac know this? I doubt he spends a lof of time in the Sox locker room. I wouldn't take anything seriously coming from that arrogant blowhard.Exactly. Nobody is liked by everyone. I can see one guy telling Mac that Pods is a jerk, and Mac running with it, saying "everyone in the clubhouse despises Pods."

Carolina Kenny
11-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Sure he would. He's not a journalist. He's a sports talkshow host. Again, how would he come across this information? THe only way would be to be present in the locker room regularly, and he's not. None of the reporters that cover the Sox have ever said that...at least not to my knowledge.

Maybe Mike North knows.

34 Inch Stick
11-11-2009, 01:35 PM
I would be suprised about the veracity of the statement given the fact several players were reported to have asked Williams to go after Pods after he was cut by the Rockies.

WhiteSox5187
11-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I would be suprised about the veracity of the statement given the fact several players were reported to have asked Williams to go after Pods after he was cut by the Rockies.

Indeed and I think it was Mark Gonzalez who was quoted as saying what a positive influence Pods was on the clubhouse and how now he was always smiling and laughing where as in his first stint he would be pretty down on himself.

soxinem1
11-11-2009, 05:05 PM

Which is what I have been saying for years. Except I add 'lacking in fundamentals' to this characterstic as well.

hawkjt
11-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Exactly. Nobody is liked by everyone. I can see one guy telling Mac that Pods is a jerk, and Mac running with it, saying "everyone in the clubhouse despises Pods."

Actually,Speigal is the one who said it on the Mac show.
I have heard him mention it before...he is basing it on the reaction by Dotel in Oakland as that fly ball eluded Pods ....that is his evidence of the whole clubhouse not liking Pods. It is typical talkradio bullcrap.

Jim Shorts
11-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Actually,Speigal is the one who said it on the Mac show.
I have heard him mention it before...he is basing it on the reaction by Dotel in Oakland as that fly ball eluded Pods ....that is his evidence of the whole clubhouse not liking Pods. It is typical talkradio bullcrap.

Speigel is bad radio, period. He's a musician posing as a Cubs and a BoSox fan.

Matt, stay the hell out of White Sox business.

tick53
11-13-2009, 12:43 PM
I like Pods OK but enough is enough. Let this era be over once and for all.

Nellie_Fox
11-13-2009, 01:28 PM
I like Pods OK but enough is enough. Let this era be over once and for all.Not until you have a better option. He was quite serviceable last year.

twsoxfan5
11-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Speigel is bad radio, period. He's a musician posing as a Cubs and a BoSox fan.

Matt, stay the hell out of White Sox business.

Absolutely, this guy is the worst in Chicago right now and that is saying a lot. He either agrees with MAC or is pushed around by him. I bet the Score did this to keep MAC happy. God I hate that show!

NLaloosh
11-13-2009, 02:24 PM
All anyone has to do is look at the Sox records with and without Pods in the lineup.

End of story.

wassagstdu
11-13-2009, 04:16 PM
All anyone has to do is look at the Sox records with and without Pods in the lineup.

End of story.

2005 too.

Craig Grebeck
11-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Not until you have a better option. He was quite serviceable last year.
And next year? I'm fine with admitting that Pods surprised in 2009, but I doubt he'll come anywhere near that production in 2010.

PalehosePlanet
11-13-2009, 08:41 PM
And next year? I'm fine with admitting that Pods surprised in 2009, but I doubt he'll come anywhere near that production in 2010.

Agreed. I'm fine w/Pods being on the team but only at 4th OF money. That way we can continue to look for something better; and upon finding it we would still have some money to acquire it.

Frater Perdurabo
11-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Agreed. I'm fine w/Pods being on the team but only at 4th OF money.

You ought to put that in deeppink, since that scenario is an unrealistic pipedream.

PalehosePlanet
11-13-2009, 09:11 PM
You ought to put that in deeppink, since that scenario is an unrealistic pipedream.

What if it's say...January 15th and he's still not signed?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I still think that's very possible. Especially if he wants 5 million or more a year.

Have you heard or read that any team in particular might be interested in him as a starter? I haven't.

Frater Perdurabo
11-13-2009, 09:42 PM
What if it's say...January 15th and he's still not signed?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I still think that's very possible. Especially if he wants 5 million or more a year.

Have you heard or read that any team in particular might be interested in him as a starter? I haven't.

The FA signing period hasn't started. Expect Figgins to sign before Pods. A quick glance at the market shows Pods is the second-best leadoff hitter among free agents (Orlando Hudson and Adam Kennedy are more #2 hitters than leadoff men), so any team seeking a leadoff hitter might have interest and therefore might be willing to give him more than "4th outfielder money."

SBSoxFan
11-13-2009, 10:01 PM

Then I think you'll be admitting that Pods surprised in 2010 too. Just like you, all I have is my opinion.

mzh
11-14-2009, 05:47 PM
The FA signing period hasn't started. Expect Figgins to sign before Pods. A quick glance at the market shows Pods is the second-best leadoff hitter among free agents (Orlando Hudson and Adam Kennedy are more #2 hitters than leadoff men), so any team seeking a leadoff hitter might have interest and therefore might be willing to give him more than "4th outfielder money."

Orlando Cabrera was primarily a #2 hitter, but he provided a serviceable year leading off for us. Point is, you don't have to sign or go with someone who is strictly a leadoff hitter. We could probably use Rios as a leadoff hitter if we need to. I don't think we should sign Pods as a starter unless it's clear we have no other options, and that includes Jordan Danks.

DonnieDarko
11-14-2009, 10:44 PM
...please don't tell me you're even remotely considering Jordan Danks for the leadoff role...

Tragg
11-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Not until you have a better option. He was quite serviceable last year.
Beckham.
We have 2 LFs with Pods on the team, and out OF D will suffer.
Pods was "quite serviceable" (he wasn't in 06 or 07, however) - pretty good for Sox leadoff hitters, but not that great.
I think leadoff will be good for Beckham's development - he can concentrate on getting on base, working the bat, using the fields; doesn't need to follow the leader and pull, pull, pull to drive everyone in.

voodoochile
11-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Beckham.
We have 2 LFs with Pods on the team, and out OF D will suffer.
Pods was "quite serviceable" (he wasn't in 06 or 07, however) - pretty good for Sox leadoff hitters, but not that great.
I think leadoff will be good for Beckham's development - he can concentrate on getting on base, working the bat, using the fields; doesn't need to follow the leader and pull, pull, pull to drive everyone in.

He's an RBI machine, one of the best clutch hitters on the team last year. He needs to be batting second or third. Putting him first is a waste of talent, IMO.

Edit: His splits: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=30117

Scroll to the bottom and check out his stats batting with none on compared to the other options shown. He hit .348 with two out and scoring position and .303 with anyone on base at all. On the other hand he hit .240 with no one on and .213 leading off innings...

Tragg
11-15-2009, 09:36 AM
He's an RBI machine, one of the best clutch hitters on the team last year. He needs to be batting second or third. Putting him first is a waste of talent, IMO.
I realize it's not ideal and that 2 or 3 would be better, but it isn't a waste either. I just don't see a better candidate on the current roster.

We have this great starting staff, only to back them up with Q in right and Pods in left?
Too many negatives by bringing him back.

russ99
11-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Looks like negotiations have fallen through again.

Maybe we'll come back to this in January, maybe not.

In the meantime, Kenny's looking elsewhere for a leadoff hitter.

Save McCuddy's
01-09-2010, 04:05 PM
For the same reason Carlos Silva got $12 million a year from SEA: Someone will do it.

Guess not.

Brian26
01-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Guess not.

No need to bump a thread that's been dead for seven-weeks for an "I told you so".