PDA

View Full Version : Off-the-wall idea: Milton Bradley

Frater Perdurabo
11-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I am not advocating this, but just posting it for discussion purely for entertainment purposes.

A long-time friend of mine, who also is a Sox fan, suggests that if KW really wanted to fly under the radar, he could acquire Milton Bradley for a prospect or two, and get the Cubs to pay most of his salary. According to my friend's reasoning, Bradley could be the left-handed power DH the Sox need, could fill the the in-your-face nutjob role that Carl Everett did in 2005, would not hurt the Sox with his fielding idiocy as a DH, and might be able to redeem himself in the shadows while Ozzie dominates the headlines with his own lunacy.

Discuss...

BadBobbyJenks
11-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Damn and Milton Bradley was going to be my 2009 offseason version of the ? parody thread.

tm1119
11-06-2009, 09:31 PM
I really dont think the Cubs are quite ready to give Bradley up for nothing yet. They are in the middle of an ownership change, so i really dont think they are in any position to be just eating large chunks of money like that.

Brian26
11-06-2009, 09:34 PM
I am not advocating this, but just posting it for discussion purely for entertainment purposes.

A long-time friend of mine, who also is a Sox fan, suggests that if KW really wanted to fly under the radar, he could acquire Milton Bradley for a prospect or two, and get the Cubs to pay most of his salary. According to my friend's reasoning, Bradley could be the left-handed power DH the Sox need, could fill the the in-your-face nutjob role that Carl Everett did in 2005, would not hurt the Sox with his fielding idiocy as a DH, and might be able to redeem himself in the shadows while Ozzie dominates the headlines with his own lunacy.

I think Bradley's worn out his welcome in this town. The writers and the media won't let him off the hook now that bridges have been burned.

Just my opinion, but comparing Milton Bradley to Carl Everett is an insult to Everett. Both are nutty in their own sort of way, but Carl's nutiness actually seemed to bring the team together, not tear it apart.

Frater Perdurabo
11-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Damn and Milton Bradley was going to be my 2009 offseason version of the ? parody thread.

If all this is to you is fun and games, buster, you can try the Parker Brothers.

:redneck

Sargeant79
11-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Interesting idea, and we have seen other supposed malcontents and troublemakers succeed here before (A.J., Carl, etc...) The only problem though is that I think Bradley's situation is a little bit different.

For one, there's the injury problems. Good chance that even if he can keep his head on straight, he won't be able to see the field for a full season. Second, everything I've read about him says that a more low-key environment would be beneficial and increase his chances of avoiding a meltdown. We're not much different than the North Side in that respect. It's still Chicago with the Chicago media, and IMHO we have some of the most impatient and critical fans out there.

Pablo_Honey
11-06-2009, 09:45 PM
If the price is right, it wouldn't be a terrible idea but I'd put Bradley as more of a Plan C. First of all, he's way too injury prone to be considered a productive bat. Even as a DH, he played only 126 games with Texas. We'd be forced to use a guy from the bench to replace his production when he's injured. Secondly, he is coming off a down year and there is no guarantee he will bounce back. Lastly, his personality is a bit concerning and he may end up in Ozzie's doghouse. It could certainly hurt team chemistry and fans will probably call for Bradley's head eventually. All in all, he's the guy Kenny should go after when all options are exhausted.

BadBobbyJenks
11-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Milton Bradley is an ass clown, I would never cheer for him and would not like him on this team for a dollar. Somebody make the 50 cents joke!

jamokes
11-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Ex-cub factor

thomas35forever
11-07-2009, 12:44 AM
No. And especially not with his salary.

doublem23
11-07-2009, 02:04 AM
No. And especially not with his salary.

I think at this point the Cubs are going to have to pick up a chunk of his salary to get rid of him a la Thome and the Phillies.

LITTLE NELL
11-07-2009, 05:18 AM
Lets take Sorryano off their hands too.

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Ex-cub factor

I don't think that's the case. This board (myself included) has stated we'd take Zambrano to be on our rotation.

Bradley's a head case.....I wouldn't want that circus at 35th and Shields.

Red Barchetta
11-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Milton Bradley is an ass clown, I would never cheer for him and would not like him on this team for a dollar. Somebody make the 50 cents joke!

I agree. If he would hit 3 home runs in the 7th game of the World Series, I might applaud! He is the poster boy for all problems in Cubdumb!

Nellie_Fox
11-08-2009, 12:30 AM
This board (myself included) has stated ..."This board" doesn't state anything, nor are the posters thereon ever unanimous about anything.

RadioheadRocks
11-08-2009, 01:27 AM
"for entertainment purposes only"

That disclaimer makes this seem like one of those commercials for the Psychic Friends Network.

getonbckthr
11-08-2009, 03:11 AM
If the Cubs eat a chunk of his salary and takes Linebrink and his whole salary then sure.

Craig Grebeck
11-08-2009, 04:53 AM
I think the Cubs might get a useful piece in return for him. I doubt it'll be anything too significant, but they could pray for a bounceback guy like Burrell.

doublem23
11-08-2009, 06:42 AM
"This board" doesn't state anything, nor are the posters thereon ever unanimous about anything.

Only that we don't need to add vegan options to the ballpark menu. :cool:

soxinem1
11-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Uh, no. We do not need the new millennium version of 'Mr. False Hustle'.

And even if Bradley didn't have all the personality issues, he still cannot be counted on to play a full season.

Didn't he miss like 40 games with TEX last year when he was primarily a DH?

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-08-2009, 10:17 AM
"This board" doesn't state anything, nor are the posters thereon ever unanimous about anything.

Point taken Nellie. :redface:

soxinem1
11-09-2009, 02:24 PM
If the Cubs eat a chunk of his salary and takes Linebrink and his whole salary then sure.

http://rhost1.zfx.com/OZX/Blobs/blob46288.pjpeg

khan
11-09-2009, 03:16 PM

Discuss...

OK, I wouldn't necessarily be against picking up Milton Bradley, but the bolded part was Hendry's idiocy a year ago, and this still remains the case today.

Any blind, drunk monkey with an internet connection could have looked @ Bradley's splits over the course of his career, and seen that Bradley isn't very good as a LHB:

As a RHB: .306/.387/.497/.884
As a LHB: .266/.365/.431/.796

Clearly, he's rather ordinary as a LHB. Overall, he's a .821 OPS hitter over the course of his career, but he's not durable enough to be a reliable contributor.

Domeshot17
11-09-2009, 03:22 PM
The one thing I would consider with him is that he might keep his mouth shut and work his ass off to rebound and stick it to the cubs. That said, I am not for this unless the cubs pay 90% of the salary or more and the return is nothing.