PDA

View Full Version : White Sox buy out Dye

JermaineDye05
11-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Link (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/5482629523)

Not like none of us saw this one coming.

HangWiffum
11-06-2009, 10:48 AM
thank you for all you've done for this team Jermaine! You're one guy that i hate to see go, but it was time. GOOD LUCK with whatever team picks you up!

sox1970
For the Cowley naysayers...

http://twitter.com/InsideTheSox/status/5482597896

KMcMahon817
We sure better find some run production.

sox1970
11-06-2009, 10:49 AM
thank you for all you've done for this team Jermaine! You're one guy that i hate to see go, but it was time. GOOD LUCK with whatever team picks you up!

He could still be back for a lesser contract. I don't think he will, but it's premature to declare him gone for sure.

Marqhead
11-06-2009, 10:51 AM
He could still be back for a lesser contract. I don't think he will, but it's premature to declare him gone for sure.

That's what I was wondering. I know he likes Chicago and wants to end his career here, is there anyway he re-signs for less?

I'm wondering what he might get offered on the open market.

Rocky Soprano
11-06-2009, 10:51 AM

You are right and that is why they got rid of Dye.

voodoochile
11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
If the Teahen trade goes through, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jermaine back for $5M/year as the primary DH and sometime OF fill in, but that leaves Nix as the starter at 2B which KW might not want to do. Maybe they go after Hudson or another guy.

KnightSox
11-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Thank you JD for being a class act during your time here, and for your contributions to our World Series championship.

XplodingScorbord
11-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Jermaine Dye is a classy guy, the kind I really feel good about cheering for. Rough second half of '09 aside, he's done a ton for this team, and I want to see him back on the South Side.

C'mon JD, c'mon Kenny, let's get a reasonable deal done!

The Immigrant
11-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I know he likes Chicago and wants to end his career here, is there anyway he re-signs for less?

He should only be offered a three month contract, with a team option for the period after the All-Star break if he hasn't completely tanked by that point.

I wouldn't bet on that option being picked up.

LoveYourSuit
11-06-2009, 11:09 AM

That's a no brainer. This buy out has nothing to do with that.

KMcMahon817
11-06-2009, 11:22 AM
That's a no brainer. This buy out has nothing to do with that.

Oh really? Despite the terrible second half, 27 home runs and 81 rbis doesn't need to be replaced somehow? Then add in Thome, that's some major run production. That needs to be replaced.:rolleyes:

Marqhead
11-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Oh really? Despite the terrible second half, 27 home runs and 81 rbis doesn't need to be replaced somehow? Then add in Thome, that's some major run production. That needs to be replaced.:rolleyes:

He was agreeing with you. The buyout most likely has to do more with money than JD's lack of production, but there still need to be other moves to replace the production i.e. re-signing Dye to a cheaper deal.

LoveYourSuit
11-06-2009, 11:34 AM

Yes I agreed with you.

But mentioning it is like saying that the Sun rises in the East.

I think the Sox realize that they are going to need some more thump in the line up to replace both Thome and Dye.

gobears1987
11-06-2009, 11:37 AM
I hope they ink him to a smaller deal so he can DH.

PalehosePlanet
11-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Jermaine Dye is a classy guy, the kind I really feel good about cheering for. Rough second half of '09 aside, he's done a ton for this team, and I want to see him back on the South Side.

C'mon JD, c'mon Kenny, let's get a reasonable deal done!

I love JD too buy this is a tough call for the team to make. There is no way anyone can know if it was just a slump, or maybe factors we don't know about, or if he is simply done.

My gut feeling is that he's not done; but again, from the team's standpoint it's a really tough call to make, and thus understandable if he is let go.

ewokpelts
11-06-2009, 11:45 AM
$5 tshirts at soxfest, here we come!

or $10, as they attempt to sell swisher shirts for that ammount...

TDog
11-06-2009, 12:27 PM
He should only be offered a three month contract, with a team option for the period after the All-Star break if he hasn't completely tanked by that point.

I wouldn't bet on that option being picked up.

As I understand it, such a contract isn't possible in major league baseball.

The Immigrant
11-06-2009, 01:11 PM

You're 100% correct.

BadBobbyJenks
11-06-2009, 01:14 PM

Are you sure?

Daver
11-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Are you sure?

Yes, I am quite sure.

skobabe8
11-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Are you sure?

:D:

I'm a JD fan. I wouldnt mind him back as DH.

thomas35forever
11-06-2009, 01:57 PM
No chance he'll be back next year. We don't know if he just had a bad second half or if it's a sign his best days are behind him. My guess is the latter. Thanks for everything JD, but it's time to move on.

slavko
11-06-2009, 06:39 PM
I love the guy and what he's done for us, but this is the best deal Kenny's pulled off so far this off-season.

Red Barchetta
11-07-2009, 09:03 AM
I love the guy and what he's done for us, but this is the best deal Kenny's pulled off so far this off-season.

I agree. It's definitely time to move on. JD was our WS MVP and will always be remembered for that.

This means outside of the pitching staff, Paulie and AJ are the only two remaining position players from the 05' team. IMO, AJ is still part of the transition plan, however I think KW would move Paulie in a heartbeat for the right deal/cash consideration.

Although we had a strong 2006, it seemed like the SOX reverted back to the Manuel era, all or nothing, type offense. I think the quiet leadership of Thome/Konerko/Dye was admirable, however we need more fire in the belly in 2010!

I know we scratch our heads at some moves, however Ozzie knows these players and their clubhouse demeanor as well.

DirtySox
11-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Dye says he won't consider DHing. He wants to play RF, or he'd be willing to learn 1B.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/11/dye_speaks.html

Rdy2PlayBall
11-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Why can't Dye play 1st and Konerko DH? What's Konerko's say on all of this??? :?:

Pear-Zin-Ski
11-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Why can't Dye play 1st and Konerko DH? What's Konerko's say on all of this??? :?:

I say Paulie plays a fine first base. Why would we want JD to learn 1B on the fly to replace Konerko?

southsideirish71
11-10-2009, 09:30 PM

I think Konerko would think someone is playing a joke on him. What major league team takes a functional 1st baseman and DH's him in favor of a 36 year old career OF who wants to learn how to play 1st at the major league level because he wants to avoid being a DH. Its one thing if we traded for a 1st baseman like Adrian Gonzales. Its another when we are moving square pegs into round holes to avoid breaking up the band.

hi im skot
11-10-2009, 09:45 PM

When did everyone decide that Jermaine Dye can be a serviceable first baseman?

:?:

GoGoCrede
11-10-2009, 09:50 PM

I think I'd trot Thome out to be play first before Dye.

doublem23
11-11-2009, 04:22 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/jermaine-dye-admits-return-to-white-sox-doesnt-look-good.html

He seems very gracious, and an all-around good guy, but at 35 if he still won't even consider a move to DH then it's probably time to look elsewhere.

Foulke You
11-11-2009, 03:05 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/jermaine-dye-admits-return-to-white-sox-doesnt-look-good.html

He seems very gracious, and an all-around good guy, but at 35 if he still won't even consider a move to DH then it's probably time to look elsewhere.
I saw this too in the Sun Times and was very surprised to read that he wouldn't even consider any DH contract offers. He wants to play RF and even considers playing 1B! Why wouldn't he consider any DH offers? Seems like a great way to extend your playing career.:?:

Anyway, I agree Doublem. If he won't even consider DH-ing, it is probably time for the Sox to move on. It's better to cut ties a year early than a year too late.

soxinem1
11-11-2009, 05:08 PM

I believe he played a good amount of 1B when he came up with ATL.

Sure that was some time ago, but he did play there before.

BadBobbyJenks
11-11-2009, 08:42 PM

Good article about Dye in the Sun Times today about Dye from Cowley today.

Dye was quoted as saying he will learn 1B before becoming a DH.

doublem23
11-11-2009, 08:48 PM

You know these records are online now...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dyeje01.shtml

Jermaine played 4 games at 1B in his minor league career and 1 game at 1B in 2005 for the Sox (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200507060.shtml). That's it.