11-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Per Cowley Twitter.

great news!!

jmeneghini1433
11-05-2009, 11:07 AM
One-year, $1.5 million.

Sockinchisox
11-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Awesome. Well worth it to have Kotsay back.

hawkjt
11-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I love this move.
Nice job Kenny.
Welcome back,Kots.

MushMouth
11-05-2009, 11:11 AM
glad to have him back...

SoxGirl4Life
11-05-2009, 11:11 AM
YES! Wow.. Kenny is busy early. He was chomping at the bit..

spawn
11-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Excellent news. KW is wasting no time. Gotta love it.

jmeneghini1433
11-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Excellent move, excellent. Does Kenny keep Jenks?

Boondock Saint
11-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Love it. He was great for the team last year.

voodoochile
11-05-2009, 11:14 AM
I imagine he's the everyday starter in RF.

veeter
11-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Kenny is on a mission. Good re-sign.

Craig Grebeck
11-05-2009, 11:15 AM
And what could possibly give you or anyone this inclination? We're not rolling into the season with a below average right fielder.

jmeneghini1433
11-05-2009, 11:18 AM
And what could possibly give you or anyone this inclination? We're not rolling into the season with a below average right fielder.
Cowley included in his tweet that he'd be a "key reserve."

voodoochile
11-05-2009, 11:18 AM

He's a better hitter than Teahan that's why.

If not then either way our bench just took a MASSIVE leap.

Nice to see Kenny sticking to his promise to get more versatile either way.

Craig Grebeck
11-05-2009, 11:19 AM
He's a better hitter than Teahan that's why.

*head spins*

doublem23
11-05-2009, 11:24 AM

3rd place, here we come!

voodoochile
11-05-2009, 11:25 AM
3rd place, here we come!

I was basing that on the assumption that Teahan had been acquired. Apparently that's not a done deal yet, so I'll retract my comment.

asindc
11-05-2009, 11:28 AM

I prefer that Kotsay not start anywhere, but I love this move. He was one of the few veterans who played well down the stretch. Haven't had that kind of production from the bench in awhile.

Marqhead
11-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Teahan and Kotsay as utility players? Awesome!

Teahan and Kotsay holding down RF and 3B? No thanks.

I'm hoping, and believing these moves are to shore up our lack of depth. If they are much more than that there's not much to get excited about. Of course I'll wait until March to judge the off season.

tstrike2000
11-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Good move.

ohthosechisox
11-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm very happy about this signing. Kotsay is a fantastic bench player to have.

hi im skot
11-05-2009, 11:45 AM
I love Mark Kotsay. It's the beard...

Hitmen77
11-05-2009, 11:51 AM

I really wonder how much salary KW will have left to spend after Danks, Quentin, and Jenks get their raises. I wouldn't be surprised if there is very little left to spend.

If that Teahen trade is indeed true, I'm expecting either Kotsay or Teahen to be a starter for us. Not because I think either would make us pennant contenders, but because of payroll limits.

soxfanreggie
11-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Really happy to see this. I wouldn't have been opposed to a 2-year deal.

Lip Man 1
11-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Good move. A solid, veteran player who showed what he could do on the field and in the clubhouse.

I don't think he'll be a "starter" but I do think he'll see a lot of time in the outfield, at first base and as a pinch hitter.

Lip

white sox bill
11-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Good move, low cost, low risk

SoxSpeed22
11-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Good pinch hitter, solid at several positions, low price, good deal.

KnightSox
11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Yeessss!!!

oeo
11-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Good pinch hitter, solid at several positions, low price, good deal.

Plus he's a good leader and really took the young guys under his wing at his arrival. Unlike the other veterans on the team, it's sounding like.

thomas35forever
11-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Great deal. I'll be awaiting his contributions off the bench in a positive manner.

TDog
11-05-2009, 02:06 PM

Below average offensively or defensively?

Kotsay used to be an excellent centerfielder (I haven't seen him play there in a few years) and he still has some speed. He has a great arm. (At Cal State Fullerton, he closed out of the bullpen, pitching the last out in a College World Series win for his school.) As a hitter, he has had a few very good offensive seasons, and after coming to the White Sox hit over .290 (as compared to Alex Rios who hit under .200) while playing four positions in addition to designated hitter. He doesn't have the power you expect from an outfielder first baseman, but
I don't think Kotsay is a below average right fielder at all.

I don't know that he will be the regular out there, but I'm very happy the Sox re-signed him.

Foulke You
11-05-2009, 03:45 PM
This is also a good insurance policy type move if Quentin, Konerko, or another key player has an extended DL trip. Kotsay is the type of guy who can easily step into the everyday role at a lot of positions and give you some valuable production until the starter is healthy again. You never want to have to count on an unproven rookie to step in to fill an injury when you are in a pennant chase.

Rdy2PlayBall
11-05-2009, 04:51 PM
http://lolfed.com/wp-content/uploads/borat-very-nice.jpg

I hope is actually part of the team, not just a utility guy. He was great for the Sox last year. And he's a Red Sox KILLER! :redneck:redneck

KRS1
11-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Good. I'm going to eat some crow on that trade, because he was and is something we definitely need on our bench.

palehozenychicty
11-05-2009, 06:27 PM
I like. I like.

pudge
11-06-2009, 02:37 AM
I was basing that on the assumption that Teahan had been acquired. Apparently that's not a done deal yet, so I'll retract my comment.

Even if Teahan was acquired, I'm still not sure why you'd even suggest that. That's just never been Kenny's MO - to sign a journeyman who's played a bunch of positions to be a fulltime starter at one position. Sure, Kenny has gambled on prospects who he hopes to be the long-term solution, but nothing in Kenny's past makes me think he'd ever have plans to insert a Kotsay as a fulltime RF. Unless I'm forgetting something.

Craig Grebeck
11-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Below average offensively or defensively?
Offensively. His defense is adequate at this point.
Kotsay used to be an excellent centerfielder (I haven't seen him play there in a few years) and he still has some speed. He has a great arm. (At Cal State Fullerton, he closed out of the bullpen, pitching the last out in a College World Series win for his school.)
He hasn't been excellent in a while. Solid to average, I'd say.
As a hitter, he has had a few very good offensive seasons...

Yes, a long time ago.
As a hitter, he has had a few very good offensive seasons, and after coming to the White Sox hit over .290 (as compared to Alex Rios who hit under .200) while playing four positions in addition to designated hitter.
In 127 plate appearances. Fun with small sample sizes! I'm not really sure if you're saying you'd rather have Kotsay than Rios, but dear ****ing lord I hope not.

He doesn't have the power you expect from an outfielder first baseman, but
I don't think Kotsay is a below average right fielder at all.
Well, agree to disagree. Tell you what: I'll post statistics and you keep telling tales from his days at Cal State Fullerton while comparing him (rather inexplicably) to this team's long term center fielder.

Listen, I'm thrilled Kotsay is back. But he is what he is: a 4th OF who is extremely valuable in that role. He is not, not, not a starter. Under absolutely no circumstances.

TDog
11-06-2009, 01:52 PM
... I'm not really sure if you're saying you'd rather have Kotsay than Rios, but dear ****ing lord I hope not. ...

For the White Sox last year, Kotsay played in one less game than Rios and hit about .100 points higher. I was optimimistic about Rios whent he Sox acquired him, but was optimistic about Kotsay and posted that he might end up being more help than Rios. As it turened out, he was a lot more hel, but it didn't matter because the Sox began to fall out of the race shortly after both were acqured. For the last six weeks of last season, the Sox got much better offense and much better defense out of Kotsay than they did Rios. It wasn't even close.

I hope Rios pulls his head out of his butt and decides he wants to play the baseball he is capable of playing. I'm hoping he has a cople of career-best years ahead of him. But I'm no longer optimistic.

If the Whtie Sox wanted to trade Rios and acquire a strong-hitting centerfielder, I wouldn't have any problem with that. But it won't happen. Not with his contract (which was the reason he was available for the waiver price to the White Sox in the first place.)

I think people expect too much out of Rios, who only once has hit more than 20 home runs in a season and only once hit .300. At WSI, I see him penciled in for 30 home runs sometimes. I think people expect too little out of Kotsay, who is a solid, experienced hitter who still has some speed.

Of course, I didn't say Kotsay should be starting in right in 2010, but I don't think there is any question that the Sox would have won more games in late August and September last year if Kotsay had started more games in center.