PDA

View Full Version : My take on current players and their shot at the HOF

eastchicagosoxfan
11-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I enjoyed doing this last year, so repeated it this year. I looked at the current rosters and tried to prognosticate who's headed to Cooperstown, and who's close, and who's had a nice career. I only consider guys with 10 years experience in MLB. I have one exception, Ichiro.

Yankees:
Jorge Posada. He's good, but not HOF quality. Ted Simmons had better numbers, and I don't hear his name in the HOF debate.

Jeter, and Rivera are shoe-ins. Jeter should get 3000 hits, and Rivera is lights out.

A-Rod. He's tainted, but I think voters will look past his cheating. It will be very, very subjective. A-Rod will get in.

Johnny Damon. He's done nothing to hurt his chances. He'll be 36, with 2425 hits. He's not a DH, but I think he'll continue to play at a high level, and get there.

Andy Petit. 37 years old 229 wins 135 loses. He needs two more solid seasons. I think he comes up short. He'll retire.

Red Sox:
Mike Lowell..Graig Nettles was better.
David Ortiz. Why not Cecil Fielder too?

Blue Jays:
Doc Halladay. He's a power pitcher, and he's 33. Will he have Jack Morris type numbers, or Carl Hubbell numbers? Right now, he comes up short.

Orioles, Rays, Twins, Tribe, and Royals have no viable candidates on their rosters at this time.

Tigers
Magglio Ordonez. Was Fred Lynn a better player? Ordonez won't sniff the HOF.

Sox.
Mark Buehrle. He'll be 31 next year, and insists that he won't pich until he's 40. He can always change his mind. He needs 4-5 of his best seasons, and he needs to pitch until he's close to 40.

Angels.
Vladimir Guerrero. A top five player for several years. I think he's an old 34. 2500 hits and 450 hr will get him in. He gets there.

Bobby Abreau. He's on par with Dale Murphy, minus two MVP'S. Dave Parker was better. Slim chance. He's 36 next season.

Texas.
Michael Young. He's 33, and I believe he's declining. 1662 hits. Father Time will catch him.

Ivan Rodriguez. He's juicer, but I think he'll get in. One of the best for years.

Mariners.
Adrian Beltre. He'll be 31 next year, but you can already see his career declining. He has 1700 hits. Will he put up better numbers than Buddy Bell? Probably. HOF numbers? His career will tail off.

Ichiro. He's amazing. If his career ended now, I think the voters would make an exception and include his time in Japan, or something along those lines.

A'S. No ****ing way Jason Giambi should sniff the HOF.

I'll put the NL in a separate post.

DumpJerry
11-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Twins have no viable candidates on their rosters at this time.
Ever hear of this kid named Mauer?

wilburaga
11-05-2009, 10:44 AM

He'll get a little more renown when he dons the pinstripes.

W

DumpJerry
11-05-2009, 10:47 AM
He'll get a little more renown when he dons the pinstripes.

W
As had been discussed to death before (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116003), Mauer will always be a Twin.

Being on the White Sox is not a pre-requisite for HoF induction.

asindc
11-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Yankees:
Jorge Posada: No.

Jeter, and Rivera: Definitely.

A-Rod: Yes.

Johnny Damon: Maybe, probably yes.

Andy Pettitte: No.

Red Sox:
Mike Lowell: No.

David Ortiz: No.

Blue Jays:
Doc Halladay: Two more years, probably yes.

Tigers
Magglio Ordonez: No.

Sox.
Mark Buehrle: Probably not.

Angels.
Vladimir Guerrero: Borderline, but yes.

Bobby Abreu: No.

Texas.
Michael Young: No.

Ivan Rodriguez: Maybe.

Mariners.
Adrian Beltre: No.

Ichiro: Yes.

A'S.
Jason Giambi: Riight.

DumpJerry
11-05-2009, 10:54 AM
:anderson:
I get no love any more.

MisterB
11-05-2009, 11:04 AM
As had been discussed to death before (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116003), Mauer will always be a Twin.

Being on the White Sox is not a pre-requisite for HoF induction.

I believe he's referring to these pinstripes:

http://www.4thandgoalsports.com/thumb_nail/JOHNNY%20DAMON%20AUTOGRAPHED%20YANKEES%20JERSEY.jp g

DumpJerry
11-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I believe he's referring to these pinstripes:

http://www.4thandgoalsports.com/thumb_nail/JOHNNY%20DAMON%20AUTOGRAPHED%20YANKEES%20JERSEY.jp g
Naw. The only pinstripes worth wearing are our pinstripes!

eastchicagosoxfan
11-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Here's my take on the NL. Again, a guy needs 10 years. Pujols only has nine.

Phillies.
Jimmy Rollins. He's 31, with good power and speed numbers. Better power than Al Oliver, equal to Vada Pinson. No HOF.

Pedro. Yes. His career has tailed off, but when he was healthy, he was one of the best pitchers in the league.

Jamie Moyer. He's 46. 258 wins, 195 loses. Jim Kaat and Bert Blyleven were better.

Florida, Washington, Milwaukee, Cincy, Pittsburg, San and the D-Backs have no viable candidates at this time.

Braves.
Chipper Jones has been a top third sacker for years. He's in.
Garret Anderson. He needs three more productive seasons to merit serious consideration. Guys that are 38 rarely have three more productive seasons. No.

Mets.
Gary Sheffield juiced. I don't think he'll get treated as well as Ivan Rodriguez or A-Rod. Outside looking in.

Carlos Beltran. He's 33. 1705 hits. He'll decline. Is he a lot better than Steve Finley?

Carlos Delgado. I've never heard his name in the steroids discussion. He was an RBI machine. It's close. If he's clean, he should get in.

Johan Santana. He's 122-60 in his career. Jim Maloney was 130-80 (4 losses after he tried to ressurect his career after arm problems.) He'll be 31 next year. Johan needs to pitch well for 4-5 more years. Urban Shocker was 187-117, and he gets zero consideration.

Billy Wagner. Lots of guys get lots of saves. He's not up there with Rivera.

Cardinals.
John Smoltz. I always hear he's headed to Cooperstown, so I guess he is. Pretty unique career.

Astros.
Lance Berkman. He's 34 next season. Good career. not great.

Miguel Tejada. He's 36 next year, and a juicer. Only has 2100 hits.

Carlos Lee. He's 34 next year. He has 1800 hits, 307 HR'S, and 1100 RBI'S. He's been healthy except for one year. He can DH later in his career. He has a real good shot. I think he gets there. He'll have 2900 hits and 430 homers, with 1600 RBI'S. He's demonstrated that he's not prone to injury.

Dodgers.
Thome yes.

Manny: He'll get in, but I think he'll wait. He's jerk.

Rafael Furcal. He's 32 with 1493 hits. He'll get close. His career has been inconsistent. It'll finish that way.

Rockies.
Todd Helton. He'll be 36 next year. Rockie HOF yes.

Giants.
Randy Johnson absolutely. How many Expos are, will or could be in the HOF?
Omar Vizquel. He should get elected. A great defensive player, and a decent guy with the stick too.

Padres.
Trevor Hoffman is the all time leader in saves. He gets in.

Others.
Frank Thomas is an automatic once he officially retires.

Barry Bonds. Another *******. He was a HOF'er before he juiced. He's an unrepenitent juicer. Pete Rose gambled, and then spent 20 years lying about it. His attitude cost him the Hall. I hope Bonds' attitude has the same affect.

I missed one in the AL.
Mariners. Junior. Hall of Fame.

eastchicagosoxfan
11-05-2009, 11:14 AM

He doesn't have 10 years in the league yet. My requirement is 10 years.

eastchicagosoxfan
11-05-2009, 11:16 AM
:anderson:
I get no love any more.
He needs a few more seasons slightly above his career averages.

DumpJerry
11-05-2009, 11:18 AM
He needs a few more seasons slightly above his career averages.
He needs more than just a few more seasons........

eastchicagosoxfan
11-05-2009, 11:20 AM
I missed Derrek Lee. Steve Garvey or Derrek Lee? Both buy tickets to Cooperstown.

eastchicagosoxfan
11-05-2009, 11:20 AM
He needs more than just a few more seasons........
I should have tealed.

DumpJerry
11-05-2009, 11:22 AM
I should have tealed.
Me too.

But I was serious about Mauer. In his short time in The Show, he has been incredible. We're talking Johnny Bench incredible.

eastchicagosoxfan
11-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Me too.

But I was serious about Mauer. In his short time in The Show, he has been incredible. We're talking Johnny Bench incredible.
I agree, but he's only been in the league six seasons. Pujols only has nine. It's just easier to break things down with a minimum requirement. In four years, Mauer's on the list. Pujols is on there next year. I can't think of anyone similiar to Mauer. Ernie Lombardi? He won two batting titles as a catcher. Mauer has three in only six seasons.

soltrain21
11-05-2009, 02:31 PM
I missed Derrek Lee. Steve Garvey or Derrek Lee? Both buy tickets to Cooperstown.

Derrek Lee shouldn't even be brought up. He had roughly 3 or so very good seasons and maybe 1 or 2 at the most GREAT seasons.

roylestillman
11-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Andy Pettit is a tough call now. Given the the 5 man rotaion, what do people think is the new "300" that nearly guarantees HOF induction.

eastchicagosoxfan
11-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Andy Pettit is a tough call now. Given the the 5 man rotaion, do people think is the new "300" that nearly guarantees HOF induction.
I think Pettit would be a real tough call with two more good seasons. I don't thinkn 300 games will be the benchmark in the future. I think it's the benchmark now, and Pettit, along with Jim Kaat and Bert Blyleven are victims of circumstance.

BleacherBandit
11-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Do you think Damon gets 3000 hits? Do you think he'll get his BA up to .300? These are pretty much un-spoken requirements.

I don't think so. He's a no-go for the HOF.

eastchicagosoxfan
11-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Do you think Damon gets 3000 hits? Do you think he'll get his BA up to .300? These are pretty much un-spoken requirements.

I don't think so. He's a no-go for the HOF.

He's 36 today. He had a decent offensive season this year, and has played over 140 games the past several years. If he plays until he's 40, no guarantee, he would have five seasons to get 525 hits. If he's had several injury filled seasons, there would be more doubt. I think 3000 hits is very manageable. He's still a serviceable outfielder, so he should be able to get a roster spot. Anybody eligible with over 2800 hits not named Harold Baines is in the HOF. I think he gets the hits and goes to the HOF. Unless he retires of course.

shes
11-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Pedro. Yes. His career has tailed off, but when he was healthy, he was as good as anyone who has ever pitched.

Fixed that for ya. :wink: Mod edit: DO NOT "fix" posts. You have no right to change someone else's opinion to reflect yours. Comment on them, but don't change their words.

For my money, Pedro at his peak was the greatest hurler ever.

twentywontowin
11-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Pedro Martinez definitely needs to get in, because he put up some of the most dominant seasons in MLB history, and considering the era he did it in makes it even more impressive.

Look at his season in 2000.

18-6
1.74 ERA
284 K's
0.737 WHIP

In the American League. That is beyond ridiculous.

The guy also went 23-4 the year before with a 2.07 ERA, 313 K's, and a WHIP below 1.000 again. Don't forget that he also took a perfect game into the 10th inning as well early in his career.

You put him with Sandy Koufax and Bob Gibson.

Frater Perdurabo
11-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Carlos Lee. He's 34 next year. He has 1800 hits, 307 HR'S, and 1100 RBI'S. He's been healthy except for one year. He can DH later in his career. He has a real good shot. I think he gets there. He'll have 2900 hits and 430 homers, with 1600 RBI'S. He's demonstrated that he's not prone to injury.

:o:

You may be the first person on Earth to put Carlos Lee and Hall of Fame in the same paragraph. Obviously he's put up some stats, but they are very empty stats, collected for the most part in the weak AL and NL Central divisions, generally for also-ran teams. I doubt half the BBWA even know who he is.

Moses_Scurry
11-06-2009, 10:55 AM
:o:

You may be the first person on Earth to put Carlos Lee and Hall of Fame in the same paragraph. Obviously he's put up some stats, but they are very empty stats, collected for the most part in the weak AL and NL Central divisions, generally for also-ran teams. I doubt half the BBWA even know who he is.

If Carlos Lee get's in the hall of fame, who's hat does he wear?

monkeypants
11-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Randy Johnson absolutely. How many Expos are, will or could be in the HOF?

Are Hall of Famers? Gary Carter, Tony Perez, Frank Robinson, Dick Williams. Youppi!
Will be Hall of Famers? Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Vladimir Guerrero.
Could be Hall of Famers? Andre Dawson, Tim Raines, Pete Rose.

ComiskeyBrewer
11-07-2009, 01:41 AM
Florida, Washington, Milwaukee, Cincy, Pittsburg, San and the D-Backs have no viable candidates at this time.

Trevor Hoffman is on the Brewers.......

eastchicagosoxfan
11-07-2009, 05:34 AM
Trevor Hoffman is on the Brewers.......

I had no idea. I knew he was still active, and assumed he was with the Padres.