PDA

View Full Version : Ron Schueler takes adviser job with Nats

delben91
11-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Hired as special adviser to GM Mike Rizzo. Link. (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091103&content_id=7614038&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was)

Hope he can help get that team back to respectability. I'm biased since I grew up in DC, but I would love to see a competitive team in the nation's capital.

jamokes
11-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Schu was good with the Sox............special advisor? What exactly do special advisors do? Really what do they do, watch games?

Lip Man 1
11-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Schueler was OK with the Sox that's all...his unwillingness to trade any of his "can't miss prospects" (who never did squat) costs the Sox playoff appearances in 1991 and 1996.

Lip

Zisk77
11-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Does he have another daughter that needs to be drafted?:redneck

Foulke You
11-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Schueler was OK with the Sox that's all...his unwillingness to trade any of his "can't miss prospects" (who never did squat) costs the Sox playoff appearances in 1991 and 1996.

Lip

I agree Lip. Scheuler was part of the "cheap, timid, and stupid" regime of the late 90s. He was merely average. The lack of an ace starter derailed the 1996 campaign and let us not forget the white flag fiasco where Scheuler got to stock up on more of his prized prospects. One could also argue that his lack of activity in 2000 for a front line starter hurt us that year in the playoffs. If memory serves though, wasn't 1991 still Larry Himes at the helm?

Chez
11-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Schu's first move will be to recommend that Jeff Abbott be signed and installed as Washington's clean-up hitter.

RedPinStripes
11-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Special adviser to Schuler probably means "Call me when you have an idea. I'll be on the golf course."

Lip Man 1
11-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Foulke:

Schueler took over as GM in September 1990.

Lip

MILTMAY5
11-08-2009, 12:59 AM
He released Carlton Fisk on a road trip in Cleveland, traded Sammy Sosa for George Bell and hired Gene Lamont and Terry Bevington as managers.
Thank God he retired and made way for Kenny Williams!!

Brian26
11-08-2009, 10:48 AM

Lip

Scheuler made a plehtora of very good moves that he seldom gets credit for, mostly because his legacy will always be tarnished by the two or three really, really bad moves he made (White Flag, Jamie Navarro FA signing, the Terry Bevington era).

The Barry Jones & Ivan Calderon for Tim Raines trade was spectacular at the time. Scheuler's ability to pick guys off the scrap heap and insert them into the lineup was remarkable: Julio Franco, Ellis Burks, Darrin Jackson, and Ruben Sierra to name a few. In terms of PR, the Bo Jackson signing was handled perfectly and brought the Sox a lot of mainstream press. The Garland for Matt Karchner trade was larceny.

Although it cost the Sox a couple of years of growing pains and the loss of Robin Ventura, it could be argued that he should receive credit for rebuilding the nucleus of the team in the late 90s. Konerko and Buehrle were acquired/drafted on his watch, as was Garland. Mags eventually turned into Dye/Iguchi/El Duque.

Tragg
11-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Scheuler made a plehtora of very good moves that he seldom gets credit for, mostly because his legacy will always be tarnished by the two or three really, really bad moves he made (White Flag, Jamie Navarro FA signing, the Terry Bevington era).
Julio Franco was another one of those helpful vets.
Then there was
Corey Hart**
Steve Sax
2 awful trades
Other bizarre moves:
The organization's love of Dan Pasqua

I know that Eric King and Shawn Hillegas didn't have all star careers, but we needed them in 1991 for pitching depth as the wave of young pitchers (McDowell, Fernandez) joined the team. Hart was awful.

soxinem1
11-08-2009, 11:30 AM

Lip

I'll agree with 1991 to an extent (especially when you consider they were opening a new park as a contender, so Reinsdorf should have made more $$$$ available too), but 1996?

That team choked the WC away. The rotation and lineup were good enough to win, and the bullpen was pretty good, especially when Tony Castillo was picked up. That team needed a major league manager. Bevington himself cost that team 5-6 wins.

I believe 2000 was when Scheuler really blew it. That team needed pitching by the second half and he did nothing but add bats when the team did not have a problem in that respect.

Lip Man 1
11-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Sox:

Bullpen, bullpen, bullpen..... and 5th starter:

In 1996 the Sox stormed out of the gate behind a powerful offense and a solid group of starters to be 40-21 on June 10th. They finished the season at 85-77 blowing the lead they had in the wild card race the final month to the Orioles. Naturally there was more than one reason for it but this didn’t help. Sox 5th starters that season began 28 games and went 3-12. Those starters were Joe Magrane (8 games), Kirk McCaskill (4), Mike Bertotti (2), Mike Sirotka (2), Luis Andujar (5), Jason Bere (5), Scott Ruffcorn (1) and Marvin Freeman (1).

July 31, 1996 - The White Sox infuriate their fans and anger their own players by refusing to make any significant trade moves at the deadline, settling for Tony Castillo later in August, to try to help a bullpen that’s among the worst in baseball. In fact the 1996 White Sox would set the record (since broken) for most ‘blown’ save opportunities. The Sox were in the midst of blowing a substantial lead in the Wild Card race at the time. The following week, Sox players Roberto Hernandez and Tony Phillips rip the organization in The Sporting News. Both men talked about how the organization never seems to be in a "win" mode and refuses to go out and get what is needed at the trade deadline. Hernandez went as far as saying that the players "now expected the Sox never to do anything at the trade deadline."

I still remember watching Peter Gammons talking about how dangerous the Sox would be in the postseason because of their starting rotation. The problem was they never got there because of the lack of a 5th starter and a bad bullpen. That onus falls completely on Ron Schueler.

And I agree with you on 2000 although to a certain extent his hands were tied when both Mike Mussina and Curt Schilling publicly stated that would not play for the White Sox.

Lip

Brian26
11-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Julio Franco was another one of those helpful vets.
Then there was
Corey Hart**

And Cory Snyder, who didn't wear his sunglasses at night.

palehozenychicty
11-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Yes. Schueler made a lot of nice moves, but as those have said, his mistakes hurt the team in a big way. Every time.

soxinem1
11-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Sox:

Bullpen, bullpen, bullpen..... and 5th starter:

In 1996 the Sox stormed out of the gate behind a powerful offense and a solid group of starters to be 40-21 on June 10th. They finished the season at 85-77 blowing the lead they had in the wild card race the final month to the Orioles. Naturally there was more than one reason for it but this didn’t help. Sox 5th starters that season began 28 games and went 3-12. Those starters were Joe Magrane (8 games), Kirk McCaskill (4), Mike Bertotti (2), Mike Sirotka (2), Luis Andujar (5), Jason Bere (5), Scott Ruffcorn (1) and Marvin Freeman (1).

July 31, 1996 - The White Sox infuriate their fans and anger their own players by refusing to make any significant trade moves at the deadline, settling for Tony Castillo later in August, to try to help a bullpen that’s among the worst in baseball. In fact the 1996 White Sox would set the record (since broken) for most ‘blown’ save opportunities. The Sox were in the midst of blowing a substantial lead in the Wild Card race at the time. The following week, Sox players Roberto Hernandez and Tony Phillips rip the organization in The Sporting News. Both men talked about how the organization never seems to be in a "win" mode and refuses to go out and get what is needed at the trade deadline. Hernandez went as far as saying that the players "now expected the Sox never to do anything at the trade deadline."

I still remember watching Peter Gammons talking about how dangerous the Sox would be in the postseason because of their starting rotation. The problem was they never got there because of the lack of a 5th starter and a bad bullpen. That onus falls completely on Ron Schueler.

And I agree with you on 2000 although to a certain extent his hands were tied when both Mike Mussina and Curt Schilling publicly stated that would not play for the White Sox.

Lip

You are correct regarding 1996, thanks for bringing some bad memories back. :smile:

I also remember screaming for Dave Martinez to be in CF instead of Darren Lewis, especially when Lewis totally stopped hitting after the ASB.

The fifth starter fiasco, which seemed to plague the team throughout both Scheuler's and KW's tenures, was definitely short-sighted activity on his part, and he always tried to fill the five spot trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Just like KW.

But ownership has to be committed to winning as well, and that is not true around these parts.

I think the White Sox, as put together on the last day of the season in 1994, were NOT going to win their division had the season finished. Scott Sanderson was demoted from the rotation after getting lit up in a few games, and the next Scott, Ruffcorn, got pounded even worse. If the season would have continued, who would #5 have been?

The five spot (and many times four too) was problematic from 1992 thru 2004.

At the same time KW has had the same issues, especially in 2003 when that team was much like the 1996 squad that Peter Gammons commented on. Even a 9-14 fifth starter wins them the division easily.

Both Schu and KW always put some patch job out there for the last rotation spot (I won't call it the #5 all the time since Jon Garland was technically the #5 starting the 2005 season) and it cost them several division titles. Sure, KW lucked out the first few months of 2005 with El Duque, but most of his tenure has been plagued by fifth starter and bullpen issues as well.

Most of this, I believe, is a 'Reinsdorf Not Committed To Winning' Issue, but that is a different topic.

Lip Man 1
11-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Sox:

Did you say 2003?

Fast forward to 2003Ö With 18 games to go the Sox had a two game lead on Minnesota. They finished the season four games out. Like in 1996, there were a number of reasons for their inability to lock down a post season spot. Like 1996 this didnít help the cause. Sox 5th starters that season began 27 games and went 3-11. Those starters were Danny Wright (15 games, 0-7), Josh Stewart (5), Mike Porzio (3) and Neal Cotts (4).

Lip

gobears1987
11-10-2009, 07:11 PM
How times have changed from not expecting deadline deals.

We expected one this year and the deadline passed before an announcement was made. I recall this site exploded for 20 minutes until we received word that Kenny had made a deal.