PDA

View Full Version : Danks Hopes to get Deal Done

DirtySox
11-04-2009, 02:12 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091104&content_id=7616678&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnerId=rss_cws

Nice to hear. He still has tons of potential and would be a great fixture in the rotation for years to come. He's also my favorite pitcher on the team.

Get it done.

twinsuck
11-04-2009, 04:01 PM
yeah!!:smile:

35th and Shields
11-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Absolutely. However, the circulation issue does concern me slightly.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-04-2009, 05:04 PM
He's said he's always wanted to play with his brother. Perhaps now as he sees Jordan making a lot of progress, he can envision the day not too far off where Jordan will be playing CF for the Sox.

No matter what the incentive, I would like to see Danks sign a longterm contract with the Sox.

chisoxfanatic
11-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Did that circulation problem just start up this past season? It sure didn't seem he had problems with it in previous seasons.

beasly213
11-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Something will get done. Kenny knows he has a solid roation and I'm sure he wants to keep it for the next 4 years.

oeo
11-04-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm expecting a Greinke-like breakout year in the near future. Get it done before that happens.

Marqhead
11-04-2009, 05:29 PM

Did that circulation problem just start up this past season? It sure didn't seem he had problems with it in previous seasons.

It certainly isn't a short term problem, and if he doesn't take the proper steps to monitor it it could be career ending.

I believe I read somewhere that he stopped dipping so as to help relieve the problem. I'm sure it isn't something the Sox are taking lightly when considering a long term contract.

chisoxfanatic
11-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm expecting a Greinke-like breakout year in the near future. Get it done before that happens.
Do you have any reasons behind that, or is that just an unexplainable feeling you have?

oeo
11-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Do you have any reasons behind that, or is that just an unexplainable feeling you have?

I think he has the stuff and the intangibles to be a Cy Young type pitcher. He's still only 24 and has been our best starter the past two years. Without a terrible May, his numbers would have looked really good.

BadBobbyJenks
11-04-2009, 06:03 PM
I think he has the stuff and the intangibles to be a Cy Young type pitcher. He's still only 24 and has been our best starter the past two years. Without a terrible May, his numbers would have looked really good.

I am not sure if I want to go Greinke far, but I have already penciled him in as our number 2 behind Peavy for next season.

chisoxfanatic
11-04-2009, 06:21 PM
I am not sure if I want to go Greinke far, but I have already penciled him in as our number 2 behind Peavy for next season.
I don't know if I can agree with you there, BBJ...I still see Buehrle as our #2 starter. He allows less base runners per inning. The rest of the stats are pretty close, but I still consider Danks as our #3 starter.

oeo
11-04-2009, 06:21 PM

Greinke's year was out of this world, and probably won't be repeated by even him. He's really good, but that's nearly impossible to sustain. Danks won't have the strikeouts, but a sub-3 ERA out of him would not surprise me at all.

What I was saying by 'Greinke-type' was his sudden jump onto the national stage. People will know John Danks as a really good pitcher in a couple years.

BadBobbyJenks
11-04-2009, 06:33 PM
I don't know if I can agree with you there, BBJ...I still see Buehrle as our #2 starter. He allows less base runners per inning. The rest of the stats are pretty close, but I still consider Danks as our #3 starter.

Love Buehrle, but I think Danks probably passed him this year and if not definitely next season. Hes got the stuff and hes got the set required to be an ace.

And Oeo, by that standard, I definitely agree.

cws05champ
11-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Greinke's year was out of this world, and probably won't be repeated by even him. He's really good, but that's nearly impossible to sustain. Danks won't have the strikeouts, but a sub-3 ERA out of him would not surprise me at all.

What I was saying by 'Greinke-type' was his sudden jump onto the national stage. People will know John Danks as a really good pitcher in a couple years.

He's no Jon Lester! - ESPN

russ99
11-04-2009, 07:36 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091104&content_id=7616678&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnerId=rss_cws

Nice to hear. He still has tons of potential and would be a great fixture in the rotation for years to come. He's also my favorite pitcher on the team.

Get it done.

Interesting. Last year he wanted no part of an extension, to the point of annoyance by Kenny, and now he's actively pushing for one.

I wonder what changed? Maybe adding Peavy?

Regardless, this now gives Kenny a position of strength. I'd talk about an extension this offseason, but only if the terms are right.

I'm not advocating a trade in the least, but Danks probably has the most trade value in the organization right now, which may also be a reason...

Pablo_Honey
11-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Interesting. Last year he wanted no part of an extension, to the point of annoyance by Kenny, and now he's actively pushing for one.

I wonder what changed? Maybe adding Peavy?

Regardless, this now gives Kenny a position of strength. I'd talk about an extension this offseason, but only if the terms are right.

I'm not advocating a trade in the least, but Danks probably has the most trade value in the organization right now, which may also be a reason...

Well, to be fair, he was only in his second year as a 23-year-old, coming off a very good season after a disappointing rookie campaign. There was no need for him to rush and sign an extension. Trying to work out an extension at that point would have been disadvantageous for him. Now that he's establisehd himself as a Major Leaguer, he can probably demand a few more things in his contract.

thomas35forever
11-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I hope he gets it done. It would give us Sox fans a peace of mind going into next season.

DirtySox
11-04-2009, 08:15 PM

I don't recall that being the situation at all. He was offered an identical deal to Gavin's and he declined as he should have. He's younger, is a lefty, had a better year, and has more potential. He stated that he was flattered by the offer and it was hard to turn down millions of dollars, that he would love to stay in Chicago, but him and his agent didn't think the timing was right.

soxfanreggie
11-04-2009, 08:22 PM
I hope we can get something worked out to both his and our liking.

DonnieDarko
11-05-2009, 02:20 AM

This^10. I still say that we should sign him for as long as we can, but that circulation problem IS a worry.

I'm expecting a Greinke-like breakout year in the near future. Get it done before that happens.My manlove for Danks notwithstanding, even I have to say that this is a bit of an overestimation. Hope it happens, but I certainly don't expect it to. One thing is for sure though: whenever Danks gets his cut fastball and straight change working right, he's almost unhittable. When one of those are off...he's very, very mortal, as this year showed (unlike Greinke, who relies on his slider, if I'm not mistaken). I do agree with your second post on that, though: "What I was saying by 'Greinke-type' was his sudden jump onto the national stage. People will know John Danks as a really good pitcher in a couple years."

I remember ESPN (or was it MLBN?) saying last year that Danks is one of the best under-the-radar pitchers in the game right now. If the national networks see him like we do, and if he keeps it up, I have to agree that it's only a matter of time before he gains at least some level of national recognition.

russ99
11-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Well, to be fair, he was only in his second year as a 23-year-old, coming off a very good season after a disappointing rookie campaign. There was no need for him to rush and sign an extension. Trying to work out an extension at that point would have been disadvantageous for him. Now that he's establisehd himself as a Major Leaguer, he can probably demand a few more things in his contract.

Good points and certainly true, but I recall Kenny being dismayed about it and when Kenny gets dismayed, people get traded, especially when they have the value to bring back impact players. (semi-teal)

Again, I certainly want Danks back and it would be great to sign him to a long-term deal at the right numbers - meaning more like Floyd's deal (obviously more) with a few lower-priced years for payroll flexibility and rising to market-level at the end of the contract.

But to just give him a big multi-year contract is counter to Kenny's philosophy and we're already a bit handcuffed by our contracts to Peavy and Rios. To add another big deal to the payroll for a 2/3 starter could impact the moves Kenny could make the next few years which are vital to the team's current re-loading. Danks is under team control for 3 more seasons, so there would need to be give and take on both sides to get a long-term deal done.

Besides, part of my posts was to stir the offseason pot a bit and encourage discussion. :D:

Paulwny
11-05-2009, 01:12 PM
It certainly isn't a short term problem, and if he doesn't take the proper steps to monitor it it could be career ending.

I believe I read somewhere that he stopped dipping so as to help relieve the problem. I'm sure it isn't something the Sox are taking lightly when considering a long term contract.

His circulation problem also concerns me. Does Danks now think that the problem could be career ending and is now looking for a long term contract when he refused to discuss this option earlier in the year ?
Hopefully the sox do check it out before making an offer.

Thatguyoverthere
11-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Danks is my favorite pitcher on this team, so hopefully this deal gets done. He's already a very solid 2/3 starter, and he has yet to reach his potential. If he can improve his control, he'll be scary good. He definitely has the potential to be the best pitcher on this staff.