PDA

View Full Version : Burls win the 2009 Fielding Bible Award for pitchers

DumpJerry
11-02-2009, 11:12 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/buehrle-wins-fielding-bible-award.html

:gulp:Congrats, Mark. I knew you would do it!

JermaineDye05
11-02-2009, 11:14 PM
congrats but what is the fielding bible award?

DumpJerry
11-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Click on the link and there is a link (http://actasports.com/sows.php) to information about the award. It seems to be a competitor to the Gold Glove Award like the Sporting News RoY is a competitor to the BWAA RoY award.

They give out one award per position in the AL and NL combined, not one for each position in each league.

voodoochile
11-02-2009, 11:24 PM
long overdue he's been a great fielder his whole career...

DumpJerry
11-02-2009, 11:26 PM
long overdue he's been a great fielder his whole career...
They cite some amazing stats about his pick off numbers and his ability to hold runners like none other.

esbrechtel
11-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Maybe a gold glove is in his near future?

JermaineDye05
11-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Maybe a gold glove is in his near future?

Well, he did have a HR this season. That shouldn't hurt his chances.

esbrechtel
11-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Well, he did have a HR this season. That shouldn't hurt his chances.

:lol:

veeter
11-03-2009, 11:15 AM
long overdue he's been a great fielder his whole career...Yes. Mark should be adding to his already large collection of Gold Gloves.

LoveYourSuit
11-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Yes. Mark should be adding to his already large collection of Gold Gloves.

I think Mark along with Paulie are two of the least appreciated gloves in baseball. Paulie doesn't get his due. Although he has had a few brain cramps the last couple of years, he can pick balls as good as any 1B I have ever seen. (As I am typing, Alexei just bounced another one to him)

oeo
11-03-2009, 05:21 PM
I think Mark along with Paulie are two of the least appreciated gloves in baseball. Paulie doesn't get his due. Although he has had a few brain cramps the last couple of years, he can pick balls as good as any 1B I have ever seen. (As I am typing, Alexei just bounced another one to him)

Just like Joe Crede and Juan Uribe did for years.

Paulie is good with what he can get to, but he's bad range.

doublem23
11-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Paulie is good with what he can get to, but he's bad range.

Range at 1B is maybe the least important aspect of the game of baseball. You need to be able to pick the ball out of the dirt, he may have equals, but there's no one in the game better than the Captain.

oeo
11-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Range at 1B is maybe the least important aspect of the game of baseball. You need to be able to pick the ball out of the dirt, he may have equals, but there's no one in the game better than the Captain.

Tell that to Mark Teixera who consistently takes away doubles at first base. Just because very few have great range, doesn't mean it's not important.

Also, I'd say your opinion is a bit biased. You know for a fact that there is no better first baseman? I'd bet most fans would say their first baseman is good at picking the ball. Hell, Fields isn't bad at it, and he was doing it for only a few weeks.

Zisk77
11-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Tell that to Mark Teixera who consistently takes away doubles at first base. Just because very few have great range, doesn't mean it's not important.

Also, I'd say your opinion is a bit biased. You know for a fact that there is no better first baseman? I'd bet most fans would say their first baseman is good at picking the ball. Hell, Fields isn't bad at it, and he was doing it for only a few weeks.

Which is a nice luxury, but as the previous poster said not THE most important aspect of a 1b defense. He didn't say it wasn't important. For the recored Tex> Paulie in every aspect of the game. Paulie is a good fielder and one of the best at turning a 3-6-3 dp for a righty thrower.

Zisk77
11-03-2009, 05:52 PM

No surprise, i never saw Burls drop a bible, or throw one in the stands.

oeo
11-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Which is a nice luxury, but as the previous poster said not THE most important aspect of a 1b defense. He didn't say it wasn't important.

No, he said it was, "maybe the least important aspect of the game of baseball." That would imply that it's not important at all.

Daver
11-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Why are you guys arguing about 1st base defense in a thread about defense from the mound?

doublem23
11-03-2009, 08:05 PM
No, he said it was, "maybe the least important aspect of the game of baseball." That would imply that it's not important at all.

You're right, you're right, hitting ability for an AL team's pitcher and speed from your catcher are both less important than 1B range.

So it's the third least important quality in baseball.

Brian26
11-03-2009, 08:25 PM
I'd like to cast a vote for arm-strength of the second baseman.

Zisk77
11-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Why are you guys arguing about 1st base defense in a thread about defense from the mound?

Because...:scratch: short attention span i guess.

And Least important does not mean unimportant. It means not as important as other criteria. Semantics really ...I say tomato

doublem23
11-03-2009, 08:36 PM
I'd like to cast a vote for arm-strength of the second baseman.

High on the list, no doubt, but I sat and watched Willie Harris try and turn double plays. Kind of painful.

Jpgr91
11-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Recognition is always nice, but can anyone consider this award relevant? Has this award ever been discussed on this board prior to MB winning it?

Daver
11-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Recognition is always nice, but can anyone consider this award relevant? Has this award ever been discussed on this board prior to MB winning it?

I'm still not convinced it exists, but I have a somewhat jaded view of all baseball awards, especially the joke that is the HOF.

doublem23
11-03-2009, 09:39 PM

Probably not, it's a "stathead" award given to players who meet their metric standards and not the sham of a vote award the Gold Glove is. It's nice MB got some recognition, even if defensive statistics are shady, at best.

DumpJerry
11-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Welcome to WSI. Home of those who cannot stay on topic for more than five minutes. More easily distracted than a cat when there is a bug flying around the room.....

MISoxfan
11-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Probably not, it's a "stathead" award given to players who meet their metric standards and not the sham of a vote award the Gold Glove is. It's nice MB got some recognition, even if defensive statistics are shady, at best.

The stats they quoted in the blurb about him aren't shady though. He's only been stolen on 15 times in the last 4 seasons and had 30+ pickoffs or causing the runner to break and get thrown out on the way to second.

oeo
11-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Welcome to WSI. Home of those who cannot stay on topic for more than five minutes. More easily distracted than a cat when there is a bug flying around the room.....

Case in point.