PDA

View Full Version : 2005 vs 2009 Postseason Stat

wilburaga
11-02-2009, 09:57 AM
In the 2005 postseason, The Chicago White Sox staff recorded 339 outs, 328 of which were recorded by pitchers who were not acquired by the Sox via free agency but rather via amateur draft, trade or waivers.

In the 2009 postseason, the Yankees staff has recorded 371 outs, 48 of which were recorded by pitchers who were not acquired by the Yanks via free agency but rather via amateur draft, trade or waivers.

W

Madscout
11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
In the 2005 postseason, The Chicago White Sox staff recorded 339 outs, 328 of which were recorded by pitchers who were not acquired by the Sox via free agency but rather via amateur draft, trade or waivers.

In the 2009 postseason, the Yankees staff has recorded 371 outs, 48 of which were recorded by pitchers who were not acquired by the Yanks via free agency but rather via amateur draft, trade or waivers.

W
Last night, I was talking to my girlfriend's dad while he was here to visit. He's a big Yankee fan. I was bitching about how last year the yankees don't make the post season, and 400 mil later, they are in the WS. I said that the league is in an unacceptable state, where very few teams compete for the best players when they are stars, and other teams have to grow their own talent only. This is another feather in my cap.

tacosalbarojas
11-02-2009, 12:27 PM

W
Good stuff, wilbur...how many of those outs were recorded by Damaso Marte?

Huisj
11-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Basically it's all Sabathia and Burnett. You could throw Pettitte into there too technically, but that's sort of cheap--he was drafted by and spent most of his career with the Yankees. It's hard to put his signing into the same category as the other guys.

The bullpen with Chamberlain, Robertson, Hughes, Coke, and Rivera isn't built on big FA signings. Bruney was a FA, but more of a "Sox" style project/scrap heap FA who was young and had been released by his team.

wilburaga
11-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Basically it's all Sabathia and Burnett. You could throw Pettitte into there too technically, but that's sort of cheap--he was drafted by and spent most of his career with the Yankees. It's hard to put his signing into the same category as the other guys.

The bullpen with Chamberlain, Robertson, Hughes, Coke, and Rivera isn't built on big FA signings. Bruney was a FA, but more of a "Sox" style project/scrap heap FA who was young and had been released by his team.

Well, cheapish, as Basil Fawlty would say. Nonetheless, Pettitte was on another team, and came to the Yankees without the Yankees surrendering anything of value (players, draft pick) besides money.

But I will open another category for Prince Andy. He's the only one who has admitted PED usage, and somehow managed to drag his ailing father into his mess.

This brings up another point though, and one that's rarely talked about. Just how much of an advantage do the Yankees have with the populations that are not subject to the amateur draft? It seems the Yankees have the right of first refusal to the major international players (Contreras, Hideki Matsui, Irabu). But farther down the line, the Yankees have brought in and developed top tier talent (Rivera, Bernie Williams, Cano) at what seems to me a much greater rate than other organizations. Is this due to superior scouting, organizational development, or cold hard cash for higher signing bonuses?

W

Foulke You
11-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Is this due to superior scouting, organizational development, or cold hard cash for higher signing bonuses?

W
I think the Yankees just have more money to spend on both domestic and international scouting than a lot of other clubs and as you pointed out, money for high signing bonuses is rarely an issue for them.

Dub25
11-05-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm not sure what to make out of all of this other than... screw the Yankees and their well purchased World Series victory.

LoveYourSuit
11-05-2009, 01:22 AM

W

Let's not kid ourselves. The Sox had a very expensive pitching staff in 2005 also. Not to the level of the Yankees this year, but Garcia, Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, El Duque did cost the Sox a good chunk of cash.

The Yankees bought themselves a World Series this year but one can say that the Sox traded our way to one in 2005.

JermaineDye05
11-05-2009, 01:48 AM
:whocares

Yeah, they paid a lot for all-star caliber players because they have the money. If the White Sox had that kind of money, I'd want them to do the same. The players still have to do the work on the field.

I'm not saying I'm happy about the Yankees winning it all but I don't think that they didn't deserve it.

Are you guys saying that if the White Sox won the world series next year because of high priced players like Jake Peavy and Alex Rios, that they wouldn't deserve it?

russ99
11-05-2009, 07:07 AM
My only issue with the Yankees buying the title is that with the new stadium, the extra playoff dates and the financial push after winning the Series, they're really rolling in the dough this offseason.

Which doesn't bode well to the rest of the league or the chances of the FA market being down again this year - i.e. low enough for the Sox to add some impact players.

With Damon and Matsui leaving and being weak at 4-5 starter, the Yankees could try to buy it all over again (I'm thinking Bay and/or Halliday, then maybe Figgins and another solid starter) and push the gap between the haves and have-nots even wider.

Bob Roarman
11-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah, they paid a lot for all-star caliber players because they have the money. If the White Sox had that kind of money, I'd want them to do the same. The players still have to do the work on the field.

I'm not saying I'm happy about the Yankees winning it all but I don't think that they didn't deserve it.

Are you guys saying that if the White Sox won the world series next year because of high priced players like Jake Peavy and Alex Rios, that they wouldn't deserve it?

Exactly. I will never understand this argument against the Yankees. They do what they because they can. And they still have more "home grown" players than any other team in the AL. It's a ridiculous argument.

Madscout
11-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Exactly. I will never understand this argument against the Yankees. They do what they because they can. And they still have more "home grown" players than any other team in the AL. It's a ridiculous argument.
It is an argument that is worried about the competitive nature of baseball, and how there are teams that are truly out of it on opening day, simply because other teams in their division can out spend them by over 1000%.

Bob Roarman
11-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Hasn't that been put to rest by teams like the Marlins and Tampa Bay? For almost 10 years that way DIDN'T work for the Yankees. But none of that is the Yankees fault, if teams like Pittsburgh or Kansas City don't want to spend money to acquire free agents, they aren't going to be good regardless of whether or not teams like the Red Sox or New York overpay. Maybe there shouldn't be a team in Washington. Again the Yankees make the most money, I don't see how it's considered wrong that they spend the most. I guarantee you if the White Sox were in that position you'd agree.