PDA

View Full Version : Joe Buck: Like or Dislike?

kevingrt
11-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Simple question.

I personally can not stand his announcing. His smugness just spews from his mouth and it is so annoying I cannot stand it.

Sorry just irritated by having to listen to him every Sunday and during the World Series. And I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon unfortunately.

twentywontowin
11-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Good voice, terrible delivery. He's not bad, but he definitely isn't great.

KRS1
11-01-2009, 10:33 PM
I have a feeling that a "loathe" choice would have been immensely popular here.

BadBobbyJenks
11-01-2009, 10:36 PM
I have a feeling that a "loathe" choice would have been immensely popular here.

Lol, I was just about to post where is the loathe option.

BigKlu59
11-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Dis Like....Never be Jack.... Just like Chip will never be Harry.... Its gone from calling the game to becoming a TV Personality... He's part of that new crowd of Big teeth and blather...

BigKlu59

KnightSox
11-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Buck seems to be tolerable during football broadcasts, but I can't take him doing baseball.

Brian26
11-01-2009, 11:10 PM
I like my announcers to actually at least pretend like they enjoy their jobs.

Boondock Saint
11-01-2009, 11:20 PM

I'm not confident that he enjoys any sport, let alone baseball.

october23sp
11-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Where's the hate with a fiery passion button?

OldRomanPizza
11-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Joe Buck has achieved something I would never have dreamed of years ago.

He has made me appreciate Bob Costas.

thomas35forever
11-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Ever since I heard his call of McGwire's 62nd home run, I haven't liked him. He just comes off as smug. How he got to be the lead announcer for Fox's baseball AND football coverage, I'll never know.

Rohan
11-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Joe Buck has achieved something I would never have dreamed of years ago.

He has made me appreciate Bob Costas.

Ahhh nooo! :bundy
This post brings terrible thoughts to my mind.

JB98
11-02-2009, 01:59 AM
Ever since I heard his call of McGwire's 62nd home run, I haven't liked him. He just comes off as smug. How he got to be the lead announcer for Fox's baseball AND football coverage, I'll never know.

Lucky sperm club. His daddy was good.

Waysouthsider
11-02-2009, 08:22 AM
"lucky sperm club"....classic! :D::D::D::D::D::D:

I hate it when these legacy guys come in get the star treatment even though their talent and work are ****.

He's a jackass in my opinion.

soxfanreggie
11-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Buck seems to be tolerable during football broadcasts, but I can't take him doing baseball.

That's exactly how I feel. I strongly dislike McGarver as well. His voice is ok, but that's about the extent that I like him doing baseball.

roylestillman
11-02-2009, 08:36 AM

Precisely.

I can't get that interview out my mind where he said that he doesn't watch baseball because the games are too long and boring. Honestly if I were MLB I'd ask he'd be removed.

Saturday's game was the perfect example. He moaned about the rain delay and why MLB would even consider starting the game, he complained about the pace of the game. He won't let up on the questionable calls (I think this may mark the first WS since 2005 where he hasn't brought up the AJ dropped third strike.) As someone else said his smugness just oozes over the mic. Even in that National Car commercial he's in, he just swaggers down the aisle with that little shoulder hitch.

KempersRS
11-02-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm not confident that he enjoys any sport, let alone baseball.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Buck did make a comment a couple years back that he does find baseball to be boring and much prefers to announce football.

Anyway, I don't think Buck is very good, but I think the hate for him has kind of gone over the top. I actually appreciate the fact that he will shut up at certain times and let the moment speak for itself.

Oblong
11-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Joe Buck calling a HR on the Fox game of the week between the Cleveland Indians and Cincinatti Reds.

"Sizemore swings and a fly ball to deep right.... it's gone and the Indians win. Join us tomorrow as Brett Favre begins his off season workouts...."

Joe Buck calling a come from behind walk off Grand Slam in the 11th inning of Game 7 of the World Series. (I'll even make it his beloved Cardinals)

"Pujols swings and a fly ball to deep right... it's gone and the Cardinals win the World Series. Join us tomorrow as Brett Favre rolls into Indianapolis...."

EMachine10
11-02-2009, 09:29 AM
A few other people have used this word and it's the one that I've used to describe him before: Smug. I never really liked him at all. He always seemed to show a certain dislike for the White Sox during the 2005 series.

gobears1987
11-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Buck just butchered calls throughout the 2005 World Series. He would not have a prayer of being in sports broadcasting if he wasn't the son of the legendary Jack Buck. His call of Blum's HR was terrible.

Oh and did Lidge have a new taste last night?

slavko
11-02-2009, 10:39 AM
A few other people have used this word and it's the one that I've used to describe him before: Smug. I never really liked him at all. He always seemed to show a certain dislike for the White Sox during the 2005 series.

Nowhere near the outright hate my other favorite, Costas, showed for the Bulls during their last WC. Not to mention his near-total ignorance about BBall. Buck, it's easy to see he's not having fun doing these games. It doesn't help the audience enjoy a game either.

PaleHoser
11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Hate him. It's fall and it's painfully obvious that baseball is his second favorite sport. A filler between Sundays.

Fox should consider doing what NBC did back in the 70's. Allow the local broadcasters of the home team into the booth and have them call a few innings of each game. I think that would definitely add some depth to the telecast since they've been watching the team for six months.

SOXSINCE'70
11-02-2009, 10:54 AM
One phrase can sum up my dislike for this jackass:

Game 2, 2005 ALCS, Tied game, bottom of the 9th.
The infamous AJ reaches 1st on a strikeout game.

Joe Crede hits what looks like 2 run homer (but is rules a game winning ground rule double). Here is the call from "Mr.Impartial".:nuts:

"Off the wall"(heavy sigh) , "the White Sox win" (heavy sigh).

OldRomanPizza
11-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I don't think Buck has any bias towards any team, he seems pretty consistently smug.

Though I do remember Costas really coming across as if he were rooting for the Bulls to lose, or to take their achievements down a notch at any opportunity.

dickallen15
11-02-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't think Buck has any bias towards any team, he seems pretty consistently smug.

Though I do remember Costas really coming across as if he were rooting for the Bulls to lose, or to take their achievements down a notch at any opportunity.

Costas actually did Bulls games for WGN around 1980. I like Buck, apparently one of the few here who do. He must have admirers elsewhere. If you cheer for a team you're a homer. Anything else, you are terrible.

Clembasbal
11-02-2009, 12:50 PM
I like his totally sweet big forehead:D:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BX2aSG8RqEU/SQAF4OXlIYI/AAAAAAAABgs/mLSafb7chj0/s400/Joe+Buck+Is+the+Antichrist.jpg

EMachine10
11-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Hate him. It's fall and it's painfully obvious that baseball is his second favorite sport. A filler between Sundays.

Fox should consider doing what NBC did back in the 70's. Allow the local broadcasters of the home team into the booth and have them call a few innings of each game. I think that would definitely add some depth to the telecast since they've been watching the team for six months.
I would enjoy this idea. It would give fans a shot at hearing other teams announcers that they might not ordinarily hear.

Zisk77
11-02-2009, 01:09 PM
His dad was great. They say genius skips a generation so I'm sure Joe Buck's kids will be sharp as tacks.

Dibbs
11-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I can't stand Buck, and McCarver is so dumb he is nearly impossible to listen to.

tacosalbarojas
11-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Joe Buck calling a HR on the Fox game of the week between the Cleveland Indians and Cincinatti Reds.

"Sizemore swings and a fly ball to deep right.... it's gone and the Indians win. Join us tomorrow as Brett Favre begins his off season workouts...."

Joe Buck calling a come from behind walk off Grand Slam in the 11th inning of Game 7 of the World Series. (I'll even make it his beloved Cardinals)

"Pujols swings and a fly ball to deep right... it's gone and the Cardinals win the World Series. Join us tomorrow as Brett Favre rolls into Indianapolis...."Bingo - go find an NFL game to warm up to, Joey.

Plus, I think he's still trying to prove that ball didn't hit JD...by zapruder if necessary.

jmeneghini1433
11-02-2009, 01:31 PM
He's better than he used to be. McCarver is terrible though.

kevingrt
11-02-2009, 01:50 PM
He's better than he used to be. McCarver is terrible though.

I personally think he has gotten worse. His smugness has increased and his lack of joy for a game is still there and very apparent. And personally I think he is horrendous doing football too. Aikman makes him bearable though because Aikman is pretty darn good at his job. Him and Thom Brennaman doing the Vikings vs Packers game was great I thought.

Maybe Joe can retire soon. He has the money we know that.

C-Dawg
11-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Plus, I think he's still trying to prove that ball didn't hit JD...by zapruder if necessary.

By contrast, he certainly didn't quibble over the free home run the Astros got in Game 3; they showed the replay and never mentioned it again.

thomas35forever
11-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Buck just butchered calls throughout the 2005 World Series. He would not have a prayer of being in sports broadcasting if he wasn't the son of the legendary Jack Buck. His call of Blum's HR was terrible.

Oh and did Lidge have a new taste last night?
To be fair, he was listing off things you could do in the time it took to play Game 3 and they even had an on-screen graphic for it, so you can probably blame Fox's production staff for that one.

One phrase can sum up my dislike for this jackass:

Game 2, 2005 ALCS, Tied game, bottom of the 9th.
The infamous AJ reaches 1st on a strikeout game.

Joe Crede hits what looks like 2 run homer (but is rules a game winning ground rule double). Here is the call from "Mr.Impartial".:nuts:

"Off the wall"(heavy sigh) , "the White Sox win" (heavy sigh).
Exactly. He sounded pissed as he called it. I also have no idea why the Sox used his call at the end of the intro video in '06 when Rooney's was clearly better. I know Rooney was gone, but why did they do that?

I'll take it further. Harry Kalas' call at the end of last year's WS was on par with Rooney's in '05 I thought, but again, Buck's call wasn't even in the same area code. I guarantee he'll be about as excited when the Yankees win as he was when the Red Sox first one. It's apparent he loves those teams and belongs at ESPN.

Lundind1
11-02-2009, 06:22 PM
I am still angry at the fact that he didn't show any enthusiasm in his voice when the Sox won the ALCS to go to the World Series for the first time since 59. I expected a better call from him, I really did.

october23sp
11-02-2009, 06:38 PM
McCarver and Buck are both terrible.

Disgusted Carver after Podsednik's homer: "How do these things happen?"

I'm so glad the Sox shut up Berman, Buck, and McCarver in 2005.

jdm2662
11-02-2009, 07:52 PM
I think he's tollerable when he does football, but I do agree with most he sucks doing baseball. Of course, that probably has a lot to do with his partners. Aikman is an outstanding color guy, and McCarver is, ahhhh pretty bad. Smug would be a good word for him. He tries to be funny, but he always comes off as twit. Wow, I haven't used that word in like 20 years. Overall, he's certainly more than capable of calling a game. It's just everything else.

But, like every so called legacy, they are never as good as their old man. Jack was the man.

jdm2662
11-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I am still angry at the fact that he didn't show any enthusiasm in his voice when the Sox won the ALCS to go to the World Series for the first time since 59. I expected a better call from him, I really did.

He didn't show any emotion when the Cards won the series, and that was his team growing up. It's just how he is. Of course, if he did then, he'd be accused of being biased.

SoxandtheCityTee
11-02-2009, 07:55 PM
I checked "Dislike" because there was no choice called "Despise."

Hating public figures is mostly a waste of time and energy. But some sports announcers have earned it, and Buck is one.

pythons007
11-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Buck is terrible at being a human being! I strongly hate this guy. I'm the president of Joe Buck's hate club. Would anyone like to join?

Boondock Saint
11-02-2009, 10:27 PM
I think he's tollerable when he does football, but I do agree with most he sucks doing baseball. Of course, that probably has a lot to do with his partners. Aikman is an outstanding color guy, and McCarver is, ahhhh pretty bad. Smug would be a good word for him. He tries to be funny, but he always comes off as twit. Wow, I haven't used that word in like 20 years. Overall, he's certainly more than capable of calling a game. It's just everything else.

But, like every so called legacy, they are never as good as their old man. Jack was the man.

There's a Mr. Griffey that would like to have a word with you, sir.

doublem23
11-02-2009, 10:45 PM
There's a Mr. Griffey that would like to have a word with you, sir.

Ken Griffey, Sr. was a good ballplayer, but he was by no means a legend. I would say 99 times out of 100, the reason his name comes up is because of Junior.

Oh, and as for Buck, he's awful. IMO he's only bearable for football because he's partnered with Troy Aikman, who is simply a fantastic announcer. Parter Buck with McCarver and you have the reason the Mute button was invented.

cnw8052
11-02-2009, 11:58 PM
It's too bad they don't have the games on radio, or I'd listen to that.:(:

slavko
11-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Costas actually did Bulls games for WGN around 1980. I like Buck, apparently one of the few here who do. He must have admirers elsewhere. If you cheer for a team you're a homer. Anything else, you are terrible.

I remember someone with a name similar to Costas who did Bulls games on TV at about that time, but it was not Costas. Dammit, I wish I could remember the guy, but it was not Costas. (That wasn't very authoritative, but I'm certain. Gotta think of that name. A blond guy with a Greek sounding name, but not Costas.)

thomas35forever
11-03-2009, 01:20 AM
I remember someone with a name similar to Costas who did Bulls games on TV at about that time, but it was not Costas. Dammit, I wish I could remember the guy, but it was not Costas. (That wasn't very authoritative, but I'm certain. Gotta think of that name. A blond guy with a Greek sounding name, but not Costas.)
Yeah it was. I may not have been alive then, but I've seen the clip at FuzzyMemories.tv and it's definitely THE Bob Costas. You also get to see a young(er) Red Kerr.

doublem23
11-03-2009, 01:25 AM
It's too bad they don't have the games on radio, or I'd listen to that.:(:

The World Series is on ESPN-1000 (or any ESPN Radio affiliate).

Nellie_Fox
11-03-2009, 01:42 AM
The World Series is on ESPN-1000 (or any ESPN Radio affiliate).XM has four different feeds. The Yankees', the Phils', ESPN, and in Spanish.

cnw8052
11-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Ah ok. I've always thought it's odd that the postseason isn't on the radio. This explains it.

ESPN radio (AM 1000) is out of range for me in Rock Falls, and it's the closest one. And I don't have satellite radio.

seventyseven
11-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Joe Buck is/was fantastic calling local Cardinals games. He could not care less about anything else -- he just does it for the $$$.

slavko
11-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah it was. I may not have been alive then, but I've seen the clip at FuzzyMemories.tv and it's definitely THE Bob Costas. You also get to see a young(er) Red Kerr.

I remembered the name. Don Criqui did games for a couple years. (not Greek, sorry) You sure this wasn't the guy? My memory is usually pretty good. I will try FuzzyMemories, since I have one right now.

slavko
11-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Wow! Costas! On FuzzyMemories.TV! You were right on the button. Thanks. (Still can't stand the guy.)

veeter
11-03-2009, 11:16 AM
I don't know why, but I kind of like him. He's a cocky little ****, though.

mccoydp
11-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Great voice, but he just doesn't announce well.

RadioheadRocks
11-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Buck and McCarver suck ass. I've got a 2005 World Series DVD box set to prove it.

'Nuff said.

AZChiSoxFan
11-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Sorry if this was addressed already but i don't feel like reading through all the posts to find out. Does anyone know how much longer the current Fox contract to do the WS runs through?

Railsplitter
11-04-2009, 10:40 AM
He didn't show any emotion when the Cards won the series, and that was his team growing up. It's just how he is. Of course, if he did then, he'd be accused of being biased.
O think that's the rub. By bending over backwards to appear neutral, he comes of dull.

ode to veeck
11-04-2009, 12:07 PM
I can't believe there are 22 posters that voted "like him"

Thatguyoverthere
11-04-2009, 04:48 PM
I can't believe there are 22 posters that voted "like him"Yeah I'm confused by that too. He's terrible, and extremely dull. He shows exactly the same emotion on a routine grounder as he does a walk-off hit. Some excitement once in a while would be nice.

twinsuck
11-04-2009, 04:56 PM
I like him better than that guy that does the broadcasts on TBS, Buck Martinez. I absolutely can not stand that guy. :angry::angry::angry:

Nellie_Fox
11-04-2009, 05:06 PM
I like him better than that guy that does the broadcasts on TBS, Buck Martinez. I absolutely can not stand that guy. :angry::angry::angry:At least you know that Buck likes the game of baseball.

roylestillman
11-04-2009, 05:13 PM
At least you know that Buck likes the game of baseball.

Not really:

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/07/joe-buck-admits-he-rarely-watches.html

Frontman
11-04-2009, 06:31 PM
I can't say I don't like him; but on baseball he's just there. McCarver is horrendous as well; so maybe because Buck does NFL games with Aikman is why I like his football broadcasts more.

Medford Bobby
11-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Sorry if this was addressed already but i don't feel like reading through all the posts to find out. Does anyone know how much longer the current Fox contract to do the WS runs through?

Isn't network baseball almost becoming a dinosaur? The networks make money on baseball, but ratings are nothing like they are getting with NFL Pro football.

I wonder what network would spend any big time money on prime time baseball in the future.:scratch:

Dub25
11-05-2009, 01:01 AM
His old man was better... by a landslide... although Joe is ok... I think.

Nellie_Fox
11-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Not really:

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/07/joe-buck-admits-he-rarely-watches.htmlDid you read the quoted post I was responding to? I was talking about Buck Martinez, not Joe Buck.