PDA

View Full Version : Pirates vs. Orioles 7th Game '79 World Series

Brian26
11-01-2009, 07:10 PM
MLB replayed this in its ABC Sports entirety this afternoon. I was working on a couple of projects in my basement and ended up watching a majority of the game.

Although I knew the result and remember somewhat how it ended, I haven't seen the game since it aired live the first time. This is the first World Series I remember specific details of as a seven year old. I remember the Dodgers and Yankees battling the year before, but I don't recall any specific moments from that series.

So the Orioles jump out to a 1-0 lead with McGregor on the hill. The Pirates battle back and take the lead on a 2-run homer by Willie Stargell (who was on fire, going 4-for-5 in the game).

The McGregor keeps it a one-run game until the bottom of the 8th when the Orioles load the bases. Chuck Tanner called in Kent Tekulve to face Eddie Murray (who was 0-for-his-last-20). Tekulve jumps out to a quick 0-2 count before Murray hits a rope to the warning track in rightfield. The entire crowd thought it was gone, but Dave Parker stuck his arm up and barely pulled it in while almost stumbling over the field that still had the football hash marks on it from the previous Colts game.

After being so close to taking the lead, the Orioles imploded in the top of the 9th. This is the moment I really remember from the series, when Earl Weaver made four pitching changes and went through five pitchers in the top of the 9th. The Pirates picked up some insurance runs and went on to win the game. After the final out, even on the road, Pirates fans swarmed the field. I had to rewind the DVR twice to watch Steve Nicosia busting a guy in the face with his catcher's mask, on the ground, in order to get off the field. Then Kent Tekulve was being swarmed up against the dugout wall and couldn't escape in a really bizarre moment, but the police somehow got him down into the dugout.

Oh, and the most endearing part of the broadcast was listening to Howard Cosell, Don Drysdale and Keith Jackson make the call. At one point they showed Jimmy Carter, Tip O'Neil and Bowie Kuhn in the stands. Tip was blowing cigar smoke in Carter's face, which lead Keith Jackson to complain about Cosell's cigar. Cosell said his cigar smelled better than Jackson's pipe.

I think I enjoyed that game more than any postseason game I've watched this season so far.

WhiteSox5187
11-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I saw some of it, my first thought was "Wow, those are some the ugliest uniforms I've seen worn in a World Series."

SoxFan1979
11-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Oh, and the most endearing part of the broadcast was listening to Howard Cosell, Don Drysdale and Keith Jackson make the call. At one point they showed Jimmy Carter, Tip O'Neil and Bowie Kuhn in the stands. Tip was blowing cigar smoke in Carter's face, which lead Keith Jackson to complain about Cosell's cigar. Cosell said his cigar smelled better than Jackson's pipe.

That's awesome! You will never hear anything like that again in this day and age.

PKalltheway
11-02-2009, 12:51 AM
It's quite ironic that the '79 World Series was on today, because the Phillies are now in the same position that the Bucs were in back in '79: being down 3-1 in the Series, and having to win Game 7 on the road. The two teams even lost Game 4 at home in a similar fashion.

If you do not know how the Bucs lost in Game 4 in '79, just look at this doozy of a box score: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PIT/PIT197910130.shtml.

The Bucs were six outs away from evening the Series up at two games apiece. They even had a 6-3 lead. Baltimore, however, would score six runs in the top of the 8th to take a 9-6 lead. The O's would win the game to take a 3-1 lead.

The Bucs managed to beat 23-game-winner Mike Flanagan in Game 5, and went back to Baltimore and defeated future Hall of Famer Jim Palmer in Game 6. And of course, that set up what happened in Game 7, as described by Brian26 above.

It's a tall order for the Phillies, but hopefully they can end up being like the '79 Pirates: overcoming a seemingly insurmountable deficit to win it all.

http://www.baseballtoddsdugout.com/stargellswing.jpg

Don't give up Philly, there's still time...