PDA

View Full Version : The Official "Dumb Things McCarver Says WS Thread"

Zisk77
10-30-2009, 01:24 PM
I will start it off with:

- Melky Cabrera does not have a particularly good arm. :o:
- They should have sent the runners because Chase Utley is a contact hitter.
I would argue that Chase Utley is a slugger (he does bat 3rd ya know) also no mention that he is a left handed batter and the catcher has an unobstructed throw on strike 3 or ball 3.

- i never heard of a spiked curveball before...knuckle curve, spiked curve...not exactly a new pitch. How many broadcast have you done where Mussina pitched? He was known for his.

#1swisher
10-30-2009, 01:26 PM
LOL, good stuff.

veeter
10-30-2009, 01:30 PM
He also continues to play predict-a-pitch, which he's wrong most of the time.

DVsoxfan
10-30-2009, 01:32 PM
During game 6 of the ALCS: "If CC pitches game one of the world series, we'll know that the yankees won tonight"

Smokey Burg
10-30-2009, 01:42 PM
You' ve just given me a reason to watch.

Mendoza Line
10-30-2009, 01:46 PM
"With two strikes, Jeter won't be bunting. Urrgh!!"

Jim Shorts
10-30-2009, 01:58 PM
He's also way to keen on the speed of the pitch when it leaves the hand vs. when the ball crosses the plate...or whatever Fox is calling it.

Joe Buck sucks too.

Oblong
10-30-2009, 02:43 PM
In the top of the 8th when Utley was up with 2 on and 1 out, he says "The runners should be going. The Phillies are in an ideal situation. Well they're down 3-1 in the 8th so it's not really ideal but....."

I've actually done a 180 on McCarver. He used to drive me crazy but I think it's intentional now. He used some word last night that I never heard before, then he says "Probably the first time that (word) was used in a WS game." So I just take his schtick as a sarcastic way of injecting some brevity into a Joe (I can't stop talking about the NFL) Buck broadcast. That's the real horror show.

SOXPHILE
10-30-2009, 03:15 PM
"The left fielder is not responsible for the right side of the outfield."

MarkZ35
10-30-2009, 03:34 PM
I heard that with Damon up in I think game 1. I couldn't even say anything because I was shocked at how stupid he sounded.

mrfourni
10-30-2009, 04:08 PM

Dan McNeil played that quote on The Score yesterday and I believe it was even worse:

"The left fielder is not responsible for a ball hit down the right field line."

roylestillman
10-30-2009, 04:09 PM
He's also way to keen on the speed of the pitch when it leaves the hand vs. when the ball crosses the plate...or whatever Fox is calling it.

Joe Buck sucks too.

Joe noted the amazing coincidence during Game 1 of the WS that both the Yankees and the Phillies had won 7 games in the post season so far.

mzh
10-30-2009, 04:09 PM
- i never heard of a spiked curveball before...knuckle curve, spiked curve...not exactly a new pitch. How many broadcast have you done where Mussina pitched? He was known for his.

Didn't they show specific footage of Cliff Lee throwing one?

While not relating to the WS, IIRC McCarver said something along the lines of "Frank Thomas should not be in the HOF because he played DH"

SOXSINCE'70
10-30-2009, 04:19 PM
So many mute buttons, so little time.

Zisk77
10-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Didn't they show specific footage of Cliff Lee throwing one?

While not relating to the WS, IIRC McCarver said something along the lines of "Frank Thomas should not be in the HOF because he played DH"

Yes thats what I'm saying. He acted like that was a new pitch when talking about Lee. I was pointing out that it was Mussina's bread and butter and he broadcast many of moose's games.

twinsuck
10-30-2009, 05:31 PM
I thought he was calling it a spiked changeup or something. Whatever, I muted it.

PatK
10-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Chase Utley's 2nd home run he said that CC threw a curveball that didn't break.

That was because it was clearly a fastball

DumpJerry
10-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Joe noted the amazing coincidence during Game 1 of the WS that both the Yankees and the Phillies had won 7 games in the post season so far.
Please tell me you're making this up. I'm in the wrong line of work.:whiner:

october23sp
10-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Please tell me you're making this up. I'm in the wrong line of work.:whiner:

I hope that one is made up and the left fielder's responsibilties one.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-30-2009, 11:28 PM
He also continues to play predict-a-pitch, which he's wrong most of the time.Stone is always right. ^^^

Rdy2PlayBall
10-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Sorry guys, but is this the same guy as the Tigers Twins games? I just want to say ONE of them said something like, "This could be the final 9th inning of regular season baseball" :scratch:

... anyone understand what I'm going at? :rolleyes:

Viva Medias B's
10-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Sorry guys, but is this the same guy as the Tigers Twins games? I just want to say ONE of them said something like, "This could be the final 9th inning of regular season baseball" :scratch:

... anyone understand what I'm going at? :rolleyes:

Wasn't that Chip Caray on TBS?

Anyway, the goofiest McCarverism I ever heard took place during the 1993 World Series which McCarver was working for CBS: "If John Olerud throws with his left hand, he catches with his right hand."

Boondock Saint
10-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Wasn't that Chip Caray on TBS?

Anyway, the goofiest McCarverism I ever heard took place during the 1993 World Series which McCarver was working for CBS: "If John Olerud throws with his left hand, he catches with his right hand."

Jim Abbott finds this assumption offensive.

sodfatherjunior
10-31-2009, 08:01 AM
another gold one from game 2......"Raul Ibanez didn't play last night as he was the designated hitter.".................I believe that was his exact words correct me if i'm wrong

veeter
10-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Stone is always right. ^^^Steve gets it wrong a lot of times also. I just think it's a stupid thing for an announcer to do.

voodoochile
10-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Not defending McCarver, but wonder if they intentionally dumb down some of the comments assuming they have a younger or less educated audience for playoff games which tend to attract a lot more casual fan viewers - the World Series even more so.

DumpJerry
10-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Not defending McCarver, but wonder if they intentionally dumb down some of the comments assuming they have a younger or less educated audience for playoff games which tend to attract a lot more casual fan viewers - the World Series even more so.
Naw.

He's preparing for the possibility, albeit a faint one, that the Red Sox and Cubs will meet in the World Series.

tstrike2000
10-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Tis the reason the website http://shutuptimmccarver.com/ exists. Fox must be wanting to save money on the broadcast crew because how he and Buck have survived this many years nobody is sure.

gobears1987
10-31-2009, 10:49 AM

That theory would hold weight if he didn't say the same stupid things when he does Fox Saturday Baseball.

voodoochile
10-31-2009, 10:58 AM
that theory would hold weight if he didn't say the same stupid things when he does fox saturday baseball.

lol...

NardiWasHere
10-31-2009, 03:21 PM
You guys are talking about a guy who...

Was surprised when he heard that lead-off home runs usually lead to more runs in an inning than lead-off walks.

Oblong
10-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Didn't he refer once refer to Benny Agbayani as a foreigner while at the same time acknowledging he was from Hawaii?

MarySwiss
10-31-2009, 04:28 PM
We're playing tonight at a sports bar from 5-7, and MrMarySwiss expressed concern that some people might be angry when the owner turned down the sound on the TVs. My reply? They'll probably THANK us for keeping them from having to listen to McCarver! :D:

SOXSINCE'70
10-31-2009, 07:40 PM
We're playing tonight at a sports bar from 5-7, and MrMarySwiss expressed concern that some people might be angry when the owner turned down the sound on the TVs. My reply? They'll probably THANK us for keeping them from having to listen to McCarver! :D:

His partner's no picnic, either.

Madvora
11-01-2009, 08:00 AM
I've never seen this before, but Tim McCarver has an early morning interview show. This just ended (it was on Sunday 6:30am.) I probably only saw this because of the clock change, but Carlton Fisk was on this morning.
I missed about the first 10 minutes, but just about every minute I saw was dedicated to the Red Sox.

soxinem1
11-01-2009, 08:13 AM
I think Tim McCarver is still feeling the brain freeze effects from Deion Sanders dumping a cooler full of ice water on his head three times in ten minutes back in the 90's.

monkeypants
11-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Didn't he refer once refer to Benny Agbayani as a foreigner while at the same time acknowledging he was from Hawaii?

Mod Edit: NO POLITICS

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Hase Chutley. Said it twice in game 1.

KenBerryGrab
11-02-2009, 04:23 PM
The McCarver-Buck team provides a great opportunity to re-acquaint myself with the seldom-heard parts of my record collection.

Bucky F. Dent
11-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Cliff Lee is an entirely different pitcher now, then he was (three months ago) when he was with the Indians.

chisox616
11-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Cliff Lee is an entirely different pitcher now, then he was (three months ago) when he was with the Indians.

I was so baffled by that one. Something like "The American League isn't aware of what Lee is capable of...uhhh...now.. because he completely changed since coming over to the Phillies."

Nice one, great recovery dude.

Bucky F. Dent
11-02-2009, 08:55 PM
I would pay good money if just one time we heard Buck respond with an exasperated single word response: "WHAT!?!?!"

downstairs
11-03-2009, 10:55 AM
During game 6 of the ALCS: "If CC pitches game one of the world series, we'll know that the yankees won tonight"

I'm late to the game here- but yeah, I caught this gem also.

KMcMahon817
11-03-2009, 01:22 PM
I was so baffled by that one. Something like "The American League isn't aware of what Lee is capable of...uhhh...now.. because he completely changed since coming over to the Phillies."

I was about to say that. He was referring to Lee throwing the inside pitch and jamming hitters. He said, and I quote, "Alot of hitters struggle with Lee, even American league hitters do not know what kind of pitcher Cliff Lee is. He is a completely different pitcher since coming to the Phillies."

I do recall him going 23-3 and winning the Cy Young in 2008, must have been doing something similar.

KMcMahon817
11-03-2009, 01:24 PM

Yah, because he is on a team that can field their position and support him offensively. How quick people are to forget just how amazing he was in 08.

JB98
11-03-2009, 01:39 PM

Yeah, that was one of the all-time McCarver gems. I almost fell off the couch with laughter when he made that comment. Lee looks like the same pitcher the Sox faced for several years in the AL Central -- pinpoint control of the fastball, effective curve, good change, etc.

Lee hasn't changed at all. He's had no reason to change, since he has had tremendous success the last two seasons.