PDA

View Full Version : 5 Years Ago

Fenway
10-27-2009, 11:19 PM
It was a night I was getting worried I would never live to see

“Swing and a ground ball, stabbed by Foulke. He has it. He underhands to first. And the Boston Red Sox are the world champions. For the first time in 86 years, the Red Sox have won baseball’s world championship. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?” Joe Castiglione - WEEI Boston

Gammons remembers

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/story?columnist=gammons_peter&id=4596989

cards press box
10-27-2009, 11:26 PM

“Swing and a ground ball, stabbed by Foulke. He has it. He underhands to first. And the Boston Red Sox are the world champions. For the first time in 86 years, the Red Sox have won baseball’s world championship. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?” Joe Castiglione - WEEI Boston

Gammons remembers

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/story?columnist=gammons_peter&id=4596989

And, of course, four years ago yesterday, the White Sox won two World Series games in one day and won their first world championship in 88 years.

Mike Greenberg of ESPN has said that the combination of the Cubs collapse in the 2003 NLCS, the Red Sox world championship in 2004 and the White Sox world championship has made Wrigley Field and Cub fans edgier than perhaps they have ever been.

JermaineDye05
10-27-2009, 11:31 PM
pssh

86 years, lightweight. :D:

Enjoy the memories.

I would hope that next year there is a similar article to this on ESPNChicago, failure to do so would further prove the East Coast bias.

The title of this article will be "Before 2010, there was 2005."

Fenway
10-27-2009, 11:37 PM
And, of course, four years ago yesterday, the White Sox won two World Series games in one day and won their first world championship in 88 years.

Mike Greenberg of ESPN has said that the combination of the Cubs collapse in the 2003 NLCS, the Red Sox world championship in 2004 and the White Sox world championship has made Wrigley Field and Cub fans edgier than perhaps they have ever been.

And don't forget the Cards in 2006

To me 1908 isn't as staggering as the fact they haven't even won a PENNANT since 1945.

LongLiveFisk
10-27-2009, 11:53 PM

To me 1908 isn't as staggering as they fact they haven't even won a PENNANT since 1945.

That really is mind-blowing. 64 years without even a pennant.

Wow.

WSox597
10-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Yes, that strong tradition that is the Chicago Cubs.

They fancy their team ranks with the Yankees, Dodgers, and Cardinals.

BZZTT, wrong. Next contestant please, thanks for playing.

SOXSINCE'70
10-28-2009, 08:58 AM
What happened the next year (2005) was much better.:D:

Hitmen77
10-28-2009, 10:18 AM

Yes, that 4 year run must have been a bitter pill to swallow for Cub fans. First they choke away the pennant in '03, then their soul mates (:rolleyes:) the Red Sox break their long drought in '04, then the hated White Sox win it all in '05 (:gulp:), and finally their bitter rival Cardinals win it all in '06.

....but they deserved that comeuppance after the downright hubris they showed in 2003 leading up to the Bartman game.

To me 1908 isn't as staggering as the fact they haven't even won a PENNANT since 1945.

That is incredible. MLB expansion didn't even start until 1961 and 11 of the 14 expansion teams have won at least one pennant (including all 4 teams founded in the 1990s). Only Texas, Seattle, and Washington haven't won a pennant.

wilburaga
10-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Ah, but the best part of 2004 for me was the utter shock and disbelief of the Yankee fans as their heroes crashed and burned after being up three games to none. Remember the 'Who's your Daddy?' headlines? I've never seen a fan base so resoundingly brought back to earth and this is why I'll always have a soft spot for the Carmines.

W

cub killer
10-30-2009, 07:55 AM
That really is mind-blowing. 64 years without even a pennant.

Wow.
That's even longer than the 2nd longest streak without a World Series title (Indians, 1948).

How many teams in pro sports have gone 64 years without reaching the final round of their championship?

cub killer
10-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Yes, that 4 year run must have been a bitter pill to swallow for Cub fans. First they choke away the pennant in '03, then their soul mates (:rolleyes:) the Red Sox break their long drought in '04, then the hated White Sox win it all in '05 (:gulp:), and finally their bitter rival Cardinals win it all in '06.

....but they deserved that comeuppance after the downright hubris they showed in 2003 leading up to the Bartman game.

You'd think that that 4 year streak would be pretty much a worst case scenario for flub fans, and might bring them somewhat down to reality. But sure enough, in 07 and 08, they continued with their "it's gonna happen" nonsense, as if history (or life itself for that matter) had taught them nothing.

Even this year in 2009, many were still on about with their same bullcrap, thinking they were gonna get Cuban as an owner, or Peavy as a pitcher, and that that would solve everything :rolleyes: (I wonder who ended up gettin' the latter after all).

Oblong
10-30-2009, 08:21 AM
I'm pretty sure the Lions will challenge those records. 52 and counting............

:gulp:

areilly
10-30-2009, 11:52 AM
You'd think that that 4 year streak would be pretty much a worst case scenario for flub fans, and might bring them somewhat down to reality. But sure enough, in 07 and 08, they continued with their "it's gonna happen" nonsense, as if history (or life itself for that matter) had taught them nothing.

What does history have to do with it? The 2008 Cubs were a very good team, but with one major flaw that a veteran manager knew how to exploit. That wasn't about history, that was about Joe Torre knowing how to win a short series.

kjhanson
10-30-2009, 01:41 PM

There was no need to worry. Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz and their trainers weren't going to let you down!

Named steroid/HGH users have not had more of an impact on a World Series over the last 20 seasons ('89 A's conveniently left out).

beasly213
10-30-2009, 03:32 PM
There was no need to worry. Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz and their trainers weren't going to let you down!

Named steroid/HGH users have not had more of an impact on a World Series over the last 20 seasons ('89 A's conveniently left out).

Shhhh don't mention that to a Red Sox fan. They don't want to hear it. Yet they'll be the first to shout how much of a cheater A Rod is. :tongue:

LongLiveFisk
10-30-2009, 09:08 PM
That's even longer than the 2nd longest streak without a World Series title (Indians, 1948).

How many teams in pro sports have gone 64 years without reaching the final round of their championship?

You'd think it would just happen by sheer accident; that they would have fallen ass-backward into a pennant at some point during that drought. Not saying it is easy; obviously a team has to work very hard for it, I'm just saying the odds seem so in favor of it happening in such a long time frame such as this one that you'd almost have to try hard to purposely screw up constantly for it to NOT happen.

But that's just my opinion. :shrug: