PDA

View Full Version : A...positive projection for our 2010 White Sox hitters

DaveFeelsRight
10-27-2009, 06:48 PM
http://www.southsidesox.com/2009/10/27/1103290/2010-bill-james-projections-white#comments

looks good, i'll take that production form becks, Q!, and rios. looks like he has getting thome back as well.

it's only october and the first game of the world series hasn't even been played yet but, it's gives us something to talk about.

munchman33
10-27-2009, 06:55 PM
But will he apologize to our posters when Sox hitters don't meet expectations?

JermaineDye05
10-27-2009, 06:57 PM
He makes a pretty bold assumption with the White Sox re-signing Dye and Thome.

TDog
10-27-2009, 07:16 PM

Technically, the Sox would be signing Thome, not re-signing him as he currently not under contract with the team and, really, has never been signed by the team, having come in a trade from the Phillies. Thome is a free agent who is assumed to be on the White Sox.

I hope he is right about Rios. I hope he is right about Quentin, the only projected .500 slugger. I hope he is right about Beckham. In general players with strong rookie seasons don't perform as well the following season, and I'm not going to assume he will have better offensive numbers in 2010.

I don't expect Flowers to spend much time with the White Sox in 2010.

Of course, in addition to the lineup being a guess, I have no idea where he came up with these numbers.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Those projections = White Sox WS with our rotation and....

Getz = Leadoff hitter. Anyone else notice Getz better stats in 11 less games? Why bring Pods back if he's gonna suck? :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
10-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Munch:

He should apologize for thinking that both Thome and Dye will be returning at the very least...and how's De Los Santos doing?

Lip

all*star quentin
10-27-2009, 07:41 PM

I for one, do not want Thome back. KW in a interview, said he was surprised that Thome went/agreed to go to the Dodgers.

Thome chasing the WS ring, how's that working?:redface:

MarkZ35
10-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Some big numbers from some guys. If those are the numbers put up next year then the Sox will win the division. Overall very very optimistic in my opinion but hopefully I'm wrong.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Some big numbers from some guys. If those are the numbers put up next year then the Sox will win the division. Overall very very optimistic in my opinion but hopefully I'm wrong.Actually... What's big about them? Pods does worse. Quentin does a little worse than '08... Beckham has his projected number for a full season this year. Rios underperforms again, but still good. Alexei is Alexei. Everything seems just about where it should.

To me, they seem VERY what they should be. The only ones I see as "woh, good luck with that" is Dye, but I could be very wrong withthat.

Craig Grebeck
10-27-2009, 08:14 PM
1. James' projections are usually over the top optimistic, especially regarding guys like Flowers.
2. He's not assuming Dye and Thome come back. Since Bill releases his projections long before the rosters for 2010 are sorted out, he groups players with every team they appeared on in 2009. So you'll see Thome listed under the Dodgers projections as well in the Bill James Handbook.

soltrain21
10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Munch:

He should apologize for thinking that both Thome and Dye will be returning at the very least...and how's De Los Santos doing?

Lip

We are still doing this?

MarkZ35
10-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Actually... What's big about them? Pods does worse. Quentin does a little worse than '08... Beckham has his projected number for a full season this year. Rios underperforms again, but still good. Alexei is Alexei. Everything seems just about where it should.

To me, they seem VERY what they should be. The only ones I see as "woh, good luck with that" is Dye, but I could be very wrong withthat.
I agree that about half are what I would imagine but I just can't justify Quentin and Dye are going to hit 30 hr's. Dye hit what about 5 hr's in the 2nd half. You can't project injuries but Quentin has trouble staying healthy.

When is Flowers going to play with Dye and Thome both back according to the projections? AJ has proven he can start 130+ games and still not wear down. They show Flowers playing over 60 games. Realistically that's not going to happen w/o a bunch of injuries.

Thome has hit less hr's each year over the last 6 or 8 seasons and then they have him hitting almost 10 more than last season.

I hope the projections are right but they seem a little inflated to me for some of the guys.

Marqhead
10-27-2009, 08:51 PM
We are still doing this?

It's a one man crusade at this point.

soxinem1
10-27-2009, 10:56 PM
It would probably help if we knew the 2010 lineup before projections are made on how they will do.....

Lip Man 1
10-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Sol:

As soon as Munch gets off the "apologize" kick I'll be more than willing to cut him some slack (can't speak for some of the others though...)

Lip

BleacherBandit
10-27-2009, 11:13 PM
He doesn't project one player to hit even close to .300.

Don't know if that's realistic or unrealistic.

DSpivack
10-27-2009, 11:23 PM
He doesn't project one player to hit even close to .300.

Don't know if that's realistic or unrealistic.

Rather realistic if you look at recent Sox teams.

LoveYourSuit
10-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Munch:

Lip

De Los Santos = CY Young

Derrick Rose = Suckfest.

palehozenychicty
10-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Rather realistic if you look at recent Sox teams.

Exactly.