PDA

View Full Version : best minor league park in theworld

mike squires
06-09-2002, 11:14 PM
last weekend i got the chance to go to indy to see an indians game. they took on pawtucket and got to see our good buddy jeff abbott. i think he went one for 4. this was the 5th time i've been to the park. if you make one trip this summer make it to victory field. it's a great park, great atmosphere, great ticket prices.

in the media guide i saw where there was a pitcher named mike penney. same name as me. i went down to the bullpen to see if i could get his signiature but he was nowhere to be found. hey, there aren't many mike penny's around!

DrWatson27
06-10-2002, 08:02 AM
Oldsmoblie Park in Lansing is great-to bad the Lugnuts are a Cubs affiliate. Also the Toledo Mudhens new stadium is outstanding! It's like a major league ballpark only with less seats. If you ever have a chance you should go to a game. You sit right on top of the field and the crowd can get into it pretty good, with the small confines it feels like you're at a packed MLB game.

Cheryl
06-10-2002, 08:37 AM
I like Olds Park also. Alexian Field (the Flyers) is a very nice little park too.

The Beloit Snappers ballpark is the most intimate minor league park I've ever been to. It must seat all of 1500 people. We got front row directly behind home plate seats for all of $4, iirc.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2002, 08:52 AM
I'll second Michael's nomimination of Victory Field in Indianapolis. There is nothing minor league about the atmosphere there. It's been a few years since I was there (the ballpark was brand-new), but it made quite an impression on me.

The narrow band of upper deck seating and open concourses reminded me of what the old pre-concrete ballparks must have felt like 100 years ago. The sightlines were great, too.

For years, Indianapolis was the home of the Sox' AAA affiliate. Why Reinsdorf hasn't pursued this again is beyond me. Outside Chicago, Indiana is probably the only place where Sox Fans still reside in sizable numbers.

Of course we did have a Single-A affiliation with South Bend, but that ended several years ago, too.

I don't know. Iguess I'll never figure out the strategy behind the moves the Sox make at the top. Frankly, I doubt they have any strategy at all.

Procol Harum
06-10-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I don't know. Iguess I'll never figure out the strategy behind the moves the Sox make at the top. Frankly, I doubt they have any strategy at all.

By Jove, you've got it!!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
By Jove, you've got it!!

For a team that whines about lack of fan support, the Sox do precious little to carve a niche for themselves. With all due respect to baseball fans in the South and Southeast, it's foolish to think Sox Fans will travel that far to see the prospects, or that many southerners will make a trip north to see the parent club.

Compare this situation to our divisional opponents. All of them have at least one nearby affiliate except the Sox.

DETROIT: AAA-Toledo; A-Grand Rapids

CLEVELAND: AAA-Buffalo; AA-Akron; A-Niles, Ohio

KANSAS CITY: AAA-Omaha; AA-Wichita; A-Burlington, Iowa.

MINNESOTA: A-Davenport, IA

Indianapolis was available a few years ago but the Sox passed. South Bend was an affiliate a few years ago, but the Sox lost it. In fact, with the notable exception of Birmingham, the Sox haven't held onto any of their affiliations for more than 3-5 years.

If the Sox weren't whining about fan support, I could see not being concerned about building a regional base of fans. BUT THEY ARE WHINING--yet they screw up a golden opportunity that other teams aren't nearly dumb enough to pass by.

Instead the Sox pat themselves on the back for inventing whacky single-game promotions--like last weekend's sleepover. That was good for 200 extra fans.

I'm sure that's going to build the fan base.

Cheryl
06-10-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Instead the Sox pat themselves on the back for inventing whacky single-game promotions--like last weekend's sleepover. That was good for 200 extra fans.

I'm sure that's going to build the fan base.

But it's 200 extra fans willing to shell out $250 a ticket.

MarqSox
06-10-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

But it's 200 extra fans willing to shell out $250 a ticket.

And it was for charity... less of a fan-base builder than primo PR. Gotta have both.

mike squires
06-16-2002, 11:05 PM
the single A cardinal affiliate the peoria chiefs is also a nice place to visit. they just opened their new park and it's beautiful and intimate as well. check it out.

i got to go to the game on saturday and i hadn't been to wrigley since 86. although it's nice to visit there is no doubt about it...comiskey is the best. more room, more shops etc. wrigley is a nice place to visit but i'm glad i go to the other park regularly!!!