PDA

View Full Version : Remember?

thomas35forever
10-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Four years ago today:

"Here's the 1-2 pitch to Palmeiro. A ground ball past Jenks up the middle of the infield, Uribe has it. He throws...OUT! OUT! A WHITE SOX WINNER, AND A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP! THE WHITE SOX HAVE WON THE WORLD SERIES, AND THEY'RE MOBBING EACH OTHER ON THE FIELD!"

BleacherBandit
10-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Wow, cant believe it ended today four years ago. Why do they start it so late now?

guillensdisciple
10-26-2009, 01:43 AM
Wow, that does seem like it was yesterday. Maybe the Sox give me another one of these next year??

jcw218
10-26-2009, 01:52 AM
Wow, cant believe it ended today four years ago. Why do they start it so late now?

Part of the reason it's starting so late this year is the World Baseball Classic

DSpivack
10-26-2009, 02:11 AM
http://bluefoot.tv/videos/video/80

JermaineDye05
10-26-2009, 02:33 AM
Wow that's crazy. For some reason, today I felt compelled to watch some of those highlights on mlb.com. I guess most of it stemmed from the Yankees clinching tonight, but I have to think that my subconscious was drawing me to that and reminding me of what happened.

guillensdisciple
10-26-2009, 04:31 AM

I was just about to post this. Thanks to you, I have seen this video maybe 5 times in the past two hours. Damn it, I just want that feeling again. I wish I could have bottled that somewhere in a room and revisited it over and over again.

Probably can get that euphoria with drugs, but I prefer a safer method.

DumpJerry
10-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Part of the reason it's starting so late this year is the World Baseball Classic
The WBC is the only reason why the 2009 season is a week or so later than normal.

October26
10-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Four years ago today:

"Here's the 1-2 pitch to Palmeiro. A ground ball past Jenks up the middle of the infield, Uribe has it. He throws...OUT! OUT! A WHITE SOX WINNER, AND A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP! THE WHITE SOX HAVE WON THE WORLD SERIES, AND THEY'RE MOBBING EACH OTHER ON THE FIELD!"

Thank you for posting this. What a truly great day October 26, 2005 was for all of us who are White Sox fans. To see our beloved White Sox win the World Series was a wonderful feeling. To be able to share this day with my family and to celebrate as I did with my husband, my parents, my sister and her family, our children and our friends was amazing.

Now, four years later, like you, I cherish these memories and want to feel that joy again. The children in our family often ask: "When will we get to drive around Sox park waving our flags and honking our horns again? The youngest was 8 and the oldest was 16 back in 2005 and they still talk about October 26. I am proud to say that in our family we are cultivating a new generation of White Sox fans!

Sig update time. I only update my sig once a year on October 26th. Have a great day, everybody - and Go Sox!

gobears1987
10-26-2009, 08:44 AM
I'll never forget that day. We actually won 2 WS games that day as Game 3 went into the early morning.

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-26-2009, 08:55 AM
I'll never forget that day. We actually won 2 WS games that day as Game 3 went into the early morning.

That's what I remember too...being tired from staying up to watch the game, then counting the minutes to get out of the office, head home and watch game 4....

Sitting on the edge of the coffee table through the 8th & 9th innings, more in a state of disbelief than anything else. When Uribe caught the ball in the stands, I was even more nervous. When Paulie caught the final out, I was immobile for 20 seconds....just mesmerized watching it.

Then I started jumping up and down and screaming like a crazy man.

SOXSINCE'70
10-26-2009, 08:57 AM
10/26/06- My sister marries into a sCrUBS family.
10/26/05 -REVENGE!! The Sox win the Series!!

voodoochile
10-26-2009, 09:18 AM
10/26/06- My sister marries into a sCrUBS family.
10/26/05 -REVENGE!! The Sox win the Series!!

How can you get revenge prior to a "bad thing" happening? Is that some kind of preemptive revenge thing?

"I know you're going to screw me a year from now, so here's a little something to chew on until that happens..."

Wouldn't it them being the ones taking revenge in that case? :scratch:

Sox83Kid
10-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks for posting this to brighten up an otherwise gloomy day. Can't wait 'til spring!:)

SOXSINCE'70
10-26-2009, 09:53 AM
How can you get revenge prior to a "bad thing" happening? Is that some kind of preemptive revenge thing?

"I know you're going to screw me a year from now, so here's a little something to chew on until that happens..."

Wouldn't it them being the ones taking revenge in that case? :scratch:

Actually, my revenge was that, after 9 years of listening to all my in laws tell me how the Sox would never win a WS, they did win.
The other good thing:Their 9th wedding anniversary was that day.

soltrain21
10-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Actually, my revenge was that, after 9 years of listening to all my in laws tell me how the Sox would never win a WS, they did win.
The other good thing:Their 9th wedding anniversary was that day.

So is that supposed to be 96 and not 06?

Foulke You
10-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Damn it, I just want that feeling again. I wish I could have bottled that somewhere in a room and revisited it over and over again.
I hear ya. Yankees fans really don't know how spoiled they are. 40+ Pennants and 26 World Championships (likely 27 now). The 2008 blackout game against the Twins was a lot of fun and provided a slice of success but it was nothing like the postseason ride of 2005. The 2008 team just never felt like a World Series team and it was fun to just edge out the Twins. 2009 was just disappointing all the way through. Here is hoping Peavy, Beckham, Quentin, and the rest of the boys are up to the task in 2010. Give us that feeling again in October of 2010!

Rocky Soprano
10-26-2009, 10:29 AM
No matter how many times I watch that clip, it always gives me chills. How many days left until opening day? :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
10-26-2009, 10:34 AM
The other good thing:Their 9th wedding anniversary was that day.So did you mean that she got married in '96? You put '06, so the post didn't make sense.

twinsuck
10-26-2009, 11:02 AM
No matter how many times I watch that clip, it always gives me chills. How many days left until opening day? :tongue:
Let's see.... 160 days if I counted correctly. :D:

GoGoCrede
10-26-2009, 12:11 PM
I just updated my Facebook status with Rooney's quote. I was heartened to see quite a few others on my Newsfeed had also acknowledged what today is. :smile:

chisoxfanatic
10-26-2009, 12:12 PM
What a day that was. I remember not sleeping for like 48 hours and still not needing sleep due to the excitement. I could not have had as memorable of a time if it weren't for getting together with other WSIers at Puffers (Hangar18, ChiSoxGirl, and IronFisk to name a few). I remember bumping into DumpJerry after the game finished while IF and I were walking down 35th Street towards the ballpark to go on over to the parking lot to celebrate a little more.

I've never seen Halsted Street so jam-packed with people and cars. I was fortunate to have moved into the Bridgeport neighborhood during the offseason prior to the 2005 season.

Zisk77
10-26-2009, 12:24 PM
I celebrated with champaign in my hot tub that night.:tongue:

TDog
10-26-2009, 12:41 PM
The only part of the World Series I saw on live television was the last out of Game 3, before I left work. I walked into the still fog-shrouded darkness certain that my White Sox would win the World Series. Up until then, it had always been a strong hope. I only got to listen to the last two innings of Game 4 on the radio, but it wasn't as if I missed a lot of scoring. After Game 3, Game 4 almost proved anticlimactic. Almost. The games bumped up close enough that my enthusiasm didn't have a chance to wane from Game 3.

It also might be healthy to consider what was going on five years ago today, when many at WSI questioned whether winning a World Series in our lifetimes, under the regime of Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen, under the ownership of the Reinsdorf group, would ever be possible.

michned
10-26-2009, 04:51 PM
What a day - two WS wins, a WS championship AND I received a promotion at work that day with a 30% pay raise. Quite possibly the greatest day of my life! (too bad my job was eliminated 13 months later)

JermaineDye05
10-26-2009, 05:37 PM
I remember in 2004, Kenny acquired a certain right hander. The move was considered one for 2004 but also one for the future of the team as it answered some questions for a team that had only 3 reliable starters at the time. A year later, the White Sox won the world series.

Funny how it's a little similar to a deal Kenny made at the deadline this year.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Wow.... I really can't wait until spring training and the season starts. I hoped last year, this year... idk, I just have a different feeling.

gobears1987
10-26-2009, 06:59 PM
I remember in 2004, Kenny acquired a certain right hander. The move was considered one for 2004 but also one for the future of the team as it answered some questions for a team that had only 3 reliable starters at the time. A year later, the White Sox won the world series.

Funny how it's a little similar to a deal Kenny made at the deadline this year.
It's also funny how some of the posters here reacted to the trade for Freddy. It happened about a week after I registered. I'm surprised I stuck around after reading so many posts claiming Jeremy Reed and Miguel Olivo were our future.:rolling:

Woofer
10-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Wow, four years already. What a great night that was. I still get teared up watching the footage from 2005. It gets me right in the soft spot of my heart.:smile::bandance:

SoxGirl4Life
10-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Thank you. Watching that clip made me tear up. Ozzie looks so much older now. So does Burls. So do we.

Time is passing. Will this memory be as dusty as the 85 Bears seems to me now? I can't imagine it. It was/is such a special thing in my heart~being there for the Iguchi HR game in the Boston series. The AJ dropped-third-stirke game against the Angels. Sharing that with my son. It was all so surreal. Like something this good can't POSSIBLY be happening for MY team.

The Sox are still my passion, even after all the years of this life. When they win, I might as well be walking on a cloud. But when they lose, it ruins my day. Here's to many many cloudy days for me in 2010 and beyond. And this year, no matter how much they cost, I'm getting tickets to a World Series game at the Cell.

Happy Anniversary everyone :gulp:

ChiSoxGirl
10-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Four years... hard to believe! I popped the Game 4 DVD into the player a little while ago to commemorate this night. And my Facebook status is as follows, "10.26.09- Four years ago tonight, I was getting sprayed with champagne, beer, and silly string at Puffer's. It would be the greatest night of my life as a White Sox fan, as they gave me- and other fans- something we'd been waiting 88 years for... a World Series Championship."

spawn
10-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks for posting this. I can't believe it's been 4 years. But hell, Cubs fans can't believe it's been 101, so I feel very fortunate.

Oh, and trying not to be picky here, but did nyone else notice that video is titled "88 years The 2006 White Sox World Series"?

twinsuck
10-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks for posting this. I can't believe it's been 4 years. But hell, Cubs fans can't believe it's been 101, so I feel very fortunate.

Oh, and trying not to be picky here, but did nyone else notice that video is titled "88 years The 2006 White Sox World Series"?
Because it was for opening day 2006.

JermaineDye05
10-26-2009, 10:54 PM
I've watched this one so many times and it still gives me chills, especially the Rooney quote:"'Hocus Pocus' says Hernandez!!"

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voEAptjTm4I)

I'm sure you've all seen this before as it's on the "Sox Pride" DVD.

soxinem1
10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
While 2005 was such a great moment for all of us, I cannot help but recall an incident from September of that year.

My brother (a cub fan by birth, but he did root for the Good Guys that year) and his wife were having a birthday party for my nephew and among those attending was an obnoxious neighbor wearing scrubby blue who sat on her big ass and just ripped into the White Sox after seeing me in my White Sox t-shirt.

This goof just sat there all preoccupied with 'How the Sox were going to choke anyway', 'Blow it like they always do', etc. At the time CLE was putting on that last month charge.

I asked her how this compared to the 'storybook history' of her favorite team and she replied with something like 'At least they don't just show up and lose like the Sox'.

Whatever.... I wonder what team she was watching and asked her if she happened to know her team's history over the last, nearly 100 years?

I didn't see this yack until next spring, and hoping this nut would be at my brother's house again I wore one of my 'Chicago White Sox 2005 World Series Champions' sweatshirts, while my wife wore her Konerko jersey, and Soxinem1, Jr. wore his Jenks jersey.

This time, the moose claimed that the White Sox 'lucked out'.

Soxinem1, Jr. replied that he's rather be a lucky champion than a historic, sore loser.

That lady has not said a word to my son or myself since then, but we make sure we wear nothing but White Sox gear when we go to my brother's house, whether she shows up or not.:bandance:

LongLiveFisk
10-27-2009, 10:59 PM
I asked her how this compared to the 'storybook history' of her favorite team and she replied with something like 'At least they don't just show up and lose like the Sox'.

Right. Unlike those 2008 Cubs in the playoffs. :rolling:

Railsplitter
10-28-2009, 09:35 AM

Tpp many off days between series. The division series Ended on a monday and LCS began on thursday this year. Also, starting in 2007 the Division Sseries would begin on Wednesday rather than Tuesday.

soxinem1
10-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Right. Unlike those 2008 Cubs in the playoffs. :rolling:

Or the 2007 cubs vs. AZ.

But nothing will EVER, EVER, EVER beat the 2003 collapse or the asswipe who bought the 'Bartman Ball' for 85K and blew it up.

That is priceless!!!