PDA

View Full Version : Cubs to Naples?

LITTLE NELL
10-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Picked up my Naples Daily News this A.M. and it looks like its a very good chance that the Flubs might be relocating to Naples for spring training. Cubs execs were scouting out the area the other day for stadium sites and if Naples comes up with the $$$$$ it sounds like its a done deal according to the articles.
This would not make me a happy camper, but we are already thinking of moving up the road and a little inland to Sebring so if it happens it happens but it will be hell down here with all the Red Sox and Cub fans.

WSox597
10-25-2009, 08:29 AM
If this happens, you'll have to call the Orkin man and have him spray for pests.

Otherwise, you'll be overwhelmed. LOL

cards press box
10-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Picked up my Naples Daily News this A.M. and it looks like its a very good chance that the Flubs might be relocating to Naples for spring training. Cubs execs were scouting out the area the other day for stadium sites and if Naples comes up with the $$$$$ it sounds like its a done deal according to the articles.
This would not make me a happy camper, but we are already thinking of moving up the road and a little inland to Sebring so if it happens it happens but it will be hell down here with all the Red Sox and Cub fans.

I thought that the Cubs were floating the idea of a move to Florida as a trial balloon just to acquire leverage and get Mesa, Az. to build them a new spring training home.

Billy Ashley
10-25-2009, 09:26 AM
The Cubs should totally tell Soriano that they're going to Naples, Italy.

LITTLE NELL
10-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Milton Bradley also.

The Critic
10-25-2009, 10:32 AM
I thought that the Cubs were floating the idea of a move to Florida as a trial balloon just to acquire leverage and get Mesa, Az. to build them a new spring training home.

Even if that's the case, they'd have to go through these kinds of motions (and have them come out in the papers) to [a] make it look serious to Mesa and [b] have a real Naples option in case Mesa doesn't bite on the fake.

DSpivack
10-25-2009, 10:36 AM

You mean they might be using Florida as leverage in order to upgrade their own facilities? What an idea...:redneck

white sox bill
10-25-2009, 10:54 AM
You mean they might be using Florida as leverage in order to upgrade their own facilities? What an idea...:redneck
Why didn't we think of that??

white sox bill
10-25-2009, 10:55 AM
The Naples Cubs...I like it!

WhiteSoxOnly
10-25-2009, 03:26 PM
They need to make Des Moines their new home,year-round.

thomas35forever
10-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Frankly, I was hoping that's where the franchise was relocating when I read the thread title.

BleacherBandit
10-25-2009, 05:45 PM
This seems like a pretty stupid move by the Cubs if it goes through. Think about how many Chicagoans live in Arizona.

white sox bill
10-25-2009, 06:41 PM
This seems like a pretty stupid move by the Cubs if it goes through. Think about how many Chicagoans live in Arizona.
Theres quite a few in Florida too. Unfortunately they seem to be everywhere

jamokes
10-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Boy this would really p*** off the flub fans in Arizona, but hey "they're everywhere!"

BleacherBandit
10-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Boy this would really p*** off the flub fans in Arizona, but hey "they're everywhere!"

The Cubs know they can't lose their faithful. Even if they do piss of the fanbase, what's the fanbase gonna do? Leave? That's already been tested before.

white sox bill
10-25-2009, 08:13 PM

Kinda like flies...

TDog
10-25-2009, 08:14 PM

That would be my guess.

Frater Perdurabo
10-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Kinda like flies...

If their fans are like flies, that would make the Cubs ****, right?

Rdy2PlayBall
10-25-2009, 08:50 PM
If their fans are like flies, that would make the Cubs ****, right?:rolling:

If he wasn't trying to set someone up I'd be surprised. xD

Gammons Peter
10-26-2009, 01:37 PM
That would hurt White Sox spring training attendance, those games always sellout

Steelrod
10-26-2009, 08:25 PM
They're not going anywhere. Just looking for a little leverage.

tstrike2000
10-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Man, when I saw Naples, I was hoping that the Ricketts family was moving them to Naples, Italy.

ChiSoxGirl
10-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Man, when I saw Naples, I was hoping that the Ricketts family was moving them to Naples, Italy.

:roflmao: That'd be awesome... the Cubs halfway across the world!!!

Fenway
10-26-2009, 11:12 PM
I have been told by Red Sox people it is a done deal.

The Red Sox would not commit to more years in Ft Myers unless they had somebody besides the Twins and Rays close by.

Sadly it should be the White Sox but JR HATES Florida

LITTLE NELL
10-27-2009, 06:27 AM
The Cubs, Red Sox and Twins all down here in SW Florida. Lord help me.

Viva Medias B's
10-27-2009, 09:01 AM

Napoli would not be far enough.

Red Barchetta
10-27-2009, 09:04 AM
I have been told by Red Sox people it is a done deal.

The Red Sox would not commit to more years in Ft Myers unless they had somebody besides the Twins and Rays close by.

It's too bad JR won't consider coming back to the Sarasota area. Now we have the Orioles replacing the Reds.

There is a strong argument building via managers (Lou Pinella quoted) as well as trainers that the teams training in Florida start the season more prepared than the teams training in Arizona. The humidity, air quality, etc. have all been mentioned as contributing to faster player development, especially pitchers.

From a personal standpoint, we own a condo near Naples so I'm all for it. Hopefully this will help bump the local real estate market.

Viva Medias B's
10-27-2009, 09:44 AM
From a personal standpoint, we own a condo near Naples so I'm all for it. Hopefully this will help bump the local real estate market.

Selling timeshares to gullible Cub fans can be quite the moneymaker.

Red Barchetta
10-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Selling timeshares to gullible Cub fans can be quite the moneymaker.

I agree considering they have already bought into the most brilliant marketing plan ever - that is "Losing is Cool". :rolleyes:

doublem23
10-27-2009, 10:25 AM

Arizona is better for Spring Training, especially now that we're out of Tucson.

Railsplitter
10-28-2009, 10:48 AM
I knew the thread was about the Spring Training base possibly moving to Florida, but the smartass in me can't resist thinking it would be great for the Schlubs to move to Italy. :wink:

Interesting fact. the last eruption of Vesuvius was in 1944 and the last pennat for the Cubs was 1945. Scientist believe it is only a mtter of time the Big V replicates the eruption that buried Pompeii and Hurculeneum.

Viva Medias B's
10-28-2009, 09:18 PM
I knew the thread was about the Spring Training base possibly moving to Florida, but the smartass in me can't resist thinking it would be great for the Schlubs to move to Italy. :wink:

Interesting fact. the last eruption of Vesuvius was in 1944 and the last pennat for the Cubs was 1945. Scientist believe it is only a mtter of time the Big V replicates the eruption that buried Pompeii and Hurculeneum.

If the Cubs move to Italy, Italy may escape the Big V erupting would have to endure eruptions of the Big Z.

LITTLE NELL
10-29-2009, 05:45 AM
Latest news from SW Florida, press conference scheduled for 3pm today on possible move to Naples Florida.

Viva Medias B's
10-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Latest news from SW Florida, press conference scheduled for 3pm today on possible move to Naples Florida.

Do you have a link or any indication of who might be attending this?

LITTLE NELL
10-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Do you have a link or any indication of who might be attending this?
It was on the banner of the Naples Daily News, try going to their website.

white sox bill
10-29-2009, 03:02 PM
It was on the banner of the Naples Daily News, try going to their website.
Just another bullet for cub fans, I can hear them now "We are now in Naples, the most affluent city in Florida"

LITTLE NELL
10-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Just another bullet for cub fans, I can hear them now "We are now in Naples, the most affluent city in Florida"
They would be wrong, Jupiter Island is the $$$ capital of the Sunshine State.

white sox bill
10-29-2009, 04:07 PM
They would be wrong, Jupiter Island is the $$$ capital of the Sunshine State.
I imagine Naples isn't too far down on the list right?? Guess I'm more of a California boy..

ewokpelts
11-07-2009, 02:57 AM
If this deal Happens, say bye by to extensive spring training coverage of the sox in arizona. As it is right now, stations wont commit resourses to send crews to two states.

soxfanreggie
11-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Cubs execs were scouting out the area the other day for stadium sites and if Naples comes up with the $$$$$ it sounds like its a done deal according to the articles.

It wouldn't surprise me if the state kicked in big $$$ like they did for the Orioles-Sarasota deal. Sarasota got $7 million of the $31.2 million they had to come up with from the state as part of an economic development grant-type deal.

On a side note, I am going to the "Meet the Orioles" night with my Dad. He called and asked if I wanted to go (how can you turn down a baseball event with your Dad?), and he also said that Jim Palmer and other Orioles from the past were going to be there.

DSpivack
11-08-2009, 11:03 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the state kicked in big $$$ like they did for the Orioles-Sarasota deal. Sarasota got $7 million of the $31.2 million they had to come up with from the state as part of an economic development grant-type deal.

On a side note, I am going to the "Meet the Orioles" night with my Dad. He called and asked if I wanted to go (how can you turn down a baseball event with your Dad?), and he also said that Jim Palmer and other Orioles from the past were going to be there.

I know a few Baltimorons that would be very jealous of you. :tongue:

Red Barchetta
11-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Any more news out of Chicago on this? A lot of people in Naples think the city is being played by the Cubs for a better deal in Mesa. I read that the Mesa coalition made a visit to Chicago in an effort to concvince them to stay. Anyone know when a decision either/or will be made?

soxfanreggie
11-20-2009, 01:03 PM
I know a few Baltimorons that would be very jealous of you. :tongue:

It was a pretty nice event. I don't think the Orioles fans in the crowd would have cared to see Peter Angelos, but he sent his son instead. There weren't any protesters, which I expected based on the lawsuits that were filed. The players that attended were nice, and Jim Palmer stuck around to sign a few autographs before heading off to a wedding reception. A lot of fans did like the unlimited free beer for the afternoon.

moochpuppy
11-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Any more news out of Chicago on this? A lot of people in Naples think the city is being played by the Cubs for a better deal in Mesa. I read that the Mesa coalition made a visit to Chicago in an effort to concvince them to stay. Anyone know when a decision either/or will be made?

No, but it sounds like Ricketts will be back down here in Naples after the 30th for another look at the proposed sites for a new ST facility.

FWIW, I think this is legit and not just a ploy for the Cubs to get what they want out of Mesa.

MUsoxfan
12-11-2009, 09:22 PM
I have pretty good information that this will indeed happen. I guess it would be nice to get the Cubs away from the Sox in the Spring.

moochpuppy
12-11-2009, 10:05 PM
The Cubs, Red Sox and Twins all down here in SW Florida. Lord help me.

I feel your pain Little Nell. :whiner:

LoveYourSuit
12-11-2009, 10:07 PM
I wish the Sox would have moved back to Florida. Florida is much better vacation destination to me than Arizona.

Lundind1
12-12-2009, 01:04 AM
I wish the Sox would have moved back to Florida. Florida is much better vacation destination to me than Arizona.

The facility is nice there in Arizona, plus no humidity to deal with.

LoveYourSuit
12-12-2009, 02:20 AM

I won't argue with that. It's best for the team IMO. I'm just saying for me, I would prefer to visit Florida in March than Arizona. So many more things to do.

Fenway
12-12-2009, 03:25 AM
Every source I have in Ft Myers says the Cubs are moving to Naples.

That puts them in a cluster with the Twins, Red Sox and Rays and 2 hours from the Tampa-Orlando cluster

Ricketts hates Arizona is what I have heard from more than one source.

Kind of ironic as JR hates Florida.

guillensdisciple
12-12-2009, 05:03 AM
Every time I read this I actually think the Cubs are becoming the Naples Cubs not just going there for spring training. I continue to get my hopes up, and then having them destroyed immediately after realization.

Sigh....

moochpuppy
12-14-2009, 08:56 AM

There is very little humidity here in late February and March. The weather is very comfortable here until May.

ewokpelts
12-14-2009, 10:07 AM
I have pretty good information that this will indeed happen. I guess it would be nice to get the Cubs away from the Sox in the Spring.
not if you like to actually see the sox on the news during ST. the local networks will send thier crews to florida instead of arizona, esp when budgetsa re tight as they are. having the cubs in arizona means that the local sportscasters can go to both camps on one budgets. ask fenway....

MUsoxfan
12-14-2009, 01:24 PM
not if you like to actually see the sox on the news during ST. the local networks will send thier crews to florida instead of arizona, esp when budgetsa re tight as they are. having the cubs in arizona means that the local sportscasters can go to both camps on one budgets. ask fenway....

That's probably true to an extent, but CSN will always have people at both and they provide the best local coverage anyway.

ewokpelts
12-14-2009, 02:25 PM
That's probably true to an extent, but CSN will always have people at both and they provide the best local coverage anyway.more people watch 2, 5, 7, and 9 than CSN.

jabrch
12-14-2009, 02:41 PM

I can honestly say I won't miss the 2 min blurb on TV news about the goings on in ST. Frankly, ST is overblown anyhow. You never learn much from highlights in ST that is relevant.

Really - the Sox played a SS game where some guys hit HRs against guys who will never play and we won or lost a meaningless game where guys who have no chance of seeing Chicago anytime soon did good or bad in their few ABs/IPs.... Or Vet X got a few ABs or IPs and looked good or bad when we don't know the context of what he was doing/working on anyhow.

Spring Training is just slightly less meaningful than preseason football.

When I lived in AZ, I used to lover to go to ST - because it was a fun few hours, and it was baseball. But the TV News snippets of it????? Pass.