PDA

View Full Version : Sox and Red Sox trade idea

Rockabilly
10-23-2009, 12:52 PM
from Buster Olney

He said today on ESPN radio that he could see the Sox trading Jenks and Alexei to the Red Sox for Bard, Ellsbury, and Okajima.

Ellsbury would be a great hit off leader for us and than we can move Gordon to SS.

MUsoxfan
10-23-2009, 12:56 PM
If Theo Epstein did that trade, he'd be run out of town by people wielding boards with nails in them.

Rockabilly
10-23-2009, 12:58 PM
If Theo Epstein did that trade, he'd be run out of town by people wielding boards with nails in them.

Does anyone know if the Red Sox is unhappy with Papelbon? Why would they want Jenks.

oeo
10-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Why would the Red Sox even think about this? Where is this even coming from? How does this help the Red Sox? :?:

Three years ago, the Red Sox would not even trade the prospect Ellsbury for Buehrle. Now they're going to deal him when he's finally coming into his own?

So many questions, this is a head-scratcher from Olney.

JermaineDye05
10-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Why would the Red Sox even think about this? Where is this even coming from? How does this help the Red Sox? :?:

They gain more respect from WSI.

Sargeant79
10-23-2009, 01:16 PM
from Buster Olney

He said today on ESPN radio that he could see the Sox trading Jenks and Alexei to the Red Sox for Bard, Ellsbury, and Okajima.

Ellsbury would be a great hit off leader for us and than we can move Gordon to SS.

If Kenny Williams can pull that off, he ought to get a medal or something.

Rockabilly
10-23-2009, 01:18 PM

I guess the Red Sox want a SS badly and maybe they want to put Papelbon into the starting rotation.

Zisk77
10-23-2009, 01:32 PM
from Buster Olney

...I can see a world where the Cubs don't exist and hot, naked females find me unbelievably irresistable.

I guess I'll just settle for clothed women finding me unrepulsive.:wink:

DSpivack
10-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I guess the Red Sox want a SS badly and maybe they want to put Papelbon into the starting rotation.

I thought I've read that they have the same concerns about Papelbon that we do about Jenks. Although if it's the case, why would they trade for Jenks? :scratch:

Sargeant79
10-23-2009, 01:35 PM
I thought I've read that they have the same concerns about Papelbon that we do about Jenks. Although if it's the case, why would they trade for Jenks? :scratch:

Could be a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

I agree though, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense from Boston's side.

DumpJerry
10-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Makes no sense whatsoever for either team.

munchman33
10-23-2009, 01:39 PM
If the Red Sox think they can lockup up Bobby longterm as a setup guy, this trade would be pretty even. But that's a big if. I doubt Bobby would be happy as a setup man.

BadBobbyJenks
10-23-2009, 01:42 PM

How does it not make a ton of sense for the White Sox?

GAsoxfan
10-23-2009, 01:47 PM

Three years ago, the Red Sox would not even trade the prospect Ellsbury for Buehrle. Now they're going to deal him when he's finally coming into his own?

Because Ellsbury would be on the bench next year watching BA patrol CF.

NLaloosh
10-23-2009, 01:48 PM
As usual that trade won't happen.

Back to the world of reality though, what teams would trade for Jenks?

soltrain21
10-23-2009, 01:48 PM

It would make an insane amount of sense for Our Sox.

JohnTucker0814
10-23-2009, 01:49 PM

It would be a pretty easy trade for the White Sox... we add a CF that can lead off and a lefty reliever to take Thornton's spot while moving him to the closer role. Plus a prospect in Bard... ummm... easy decision:

1. Ellsbury CF
2. Pierzynski C
3. Beckham SS
4. Quentin LF
5. Konerko 1B
6. Thome or FA DH
7. Rios RF
8. FA 3B
9. Getz 2B

Maybe we'd include Fields with this trade as I don't think Boston has a 3B prospect????

Olney should pressure Theo to make this deal...ASAP!

oeo
10-23-2009, 02:10 PM

It makes plenty of sense for us.

Rockabilly
10-23-2009, 02:21 PM
As usual that trade won't happen.

Back to the world of reality though, what teams would trade for Jenks?

I could see the Rays, Cubs, Houston,and Jays being interested in Bobby

veeter
10-23-2009, 02:22 PM
If Kenny Williams can pull that off, he ought to get a medal or something.Receiving Bard alone might be a steal.

spawn
10-23-2009, 02:29 PM
So the Red Sox want to weaken their bullpen and trade a legit CF'er so they can get a shortstop? This trade makes no sense for the Red Sox. If presented to KW this way, I would hope he wouldn't hesitate in pulling the trigger.

guillensdisciple
10-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Hahahaha

I would feel bad for Red Sox fans if this happened.

russ99
10-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Not Houston. They're going cheap again this offseason, as usual.

VMSNS
10-23-2009, 03:40 PM

We could trade Bobby straight up for Milton Bradley. Get it done, Kenny!

eriqjaffe
10-23-2009, 04:07 PM
We could trade Bobby straight up for Milton Bradley. Get it done, Kenny!Maybe he could talk 'em into throwing in Soriano!

kobo
10-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Beckham was on Mully and Hanley yesterday and he stated the White Sox told him he would be staying at 3B. Things can change, but I don't see them moving Beckham to SS after the improvement he showed at 3rd this season.

rdwj
10-23-2009, 04:24 PM
It would make an insane amount of sense for Our Sox.

These two sum it up perfectly for me. No way this gets done, but if Theo has a death wish and offers that up, we should take him up on it before he comes to his senses.

JermaineDye05
10-23-2009, 04:51 PM
from Buster Olney

During what show did you hear this?

Lip Man 1
10-23-2009, 05:00 PM
From what I remember the Red Sox have a pitcher in the pen who throws in the high 90's and is being groomed to take over for Papelbon.

And I see where Rockabilly is getting a head start on his trade rumors / ideas off season themes.

Lip

JermaineDye05
10-23-2009, 05:06 PM
From what I remember the Red Sox have a pitcher in the pen who throws in the high 90's and is being groomed to take over for Papelbon.

And I see where Rockabilly is getting a head start on his trade rumors / ideas off season themes.

Lip

Isn't that Daniel Bard?

spawn
10-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Isn't that Daniel Bard?
Yep.

KMcMahon817
10-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Isn't that Daniel Bard?

Yes, sir, it is. That will not be happening, but it sure would be great.

asindc
10-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Mr. Williams, if you are reading this, please read carefully: Do this deal now if it is available. Not 15 minutes from now, not 15 hours from now. Now.

AZChiSoxFan
10-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Does anyone know if the Red Sox is unhappy with Papelbon? Why would they want Jenks.

During the summer, I heard Tim Kurckjen (sp?) on a radio interview saying that the Red Sox front office isn't totally enamored with Papelbon.

mzh
10-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Lip

I think you're thinking of Nick Green :tongue:

I hope KW would pull this off in a flash if there is any truth to it. If we are going to trade Alexei, I think we need to look at the free agent market and both SS/3B, and determine Beckham's position based on which other one has the best/most affordable talent.

soxfan43
10-23-2009, 07:14 PM
I think you're thinking of Nick Green :tongue:

I hope KW would pull this off in a flash if there is any truth to it. If we are going to trade Alexei, I think we need to look at the free agent market and both SS/3B, and determine Beckham's position based on which other one has the best/most affordable talent.

Alexei has a lot of value to the White Sox and as trade bait due to his low salary. I don't expect him to be traded this winter but i wouldn't be shocked if it did happen.

Whappeh
10-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Maybe we'd include Fields with this trade as I don't think Boston has a 3B prospect????

Olney should pressure Theo to make this deal...ASAP!

Youkillis plays 3B, in fact was a 3B until he joined the Red Sox. The BoSox want a power hitting 1B, mainly that guy from San Diego.

Jenks could be the set up guy for Papelbon.

Ellsbury will never move though. They want him too badly.

WhiteSoxOnly
10-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Buster Olney and our own Otis are not the same person...right ?

chisoxfanatic
10-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Come on, guys! Olney must have overheard KW on one of his well-known cell phone conversations at the airport. It must be true!!!

SOXSINCE'70
10-23-2009, 11:39 PM

I know Phillies fans who still want Ed Wade's scalp for making the Gavin Floyd/Freddy Garcia trade.

DSpivack
10-24-2009, 12:31 AM
Come on, guys! Olney must have overheard KW on one of his well-known cell phone conversations at the airport. It must be true!!!

Yeah, I don't think anyone is really taking this seriously as a rumor.

Youkillis plays 3B, in fact was a 3B until he joined the Red Sox. The BoSox want a power hitting 1B, mainly that guy from San Diego.

Jenks could be the set up guy for Papelbon.

Ellsbury will never move though. They want him too badly.

Lars Anderson not looking as promising as he once was?

Craig Grebeck
10-24-2009, 04:08 AM
Lars Anderson not looking as promising as he once was?
He was bad this year. I'm sure he'll rebound, but he's not the can't miss guy he once was.

SCCWS
10-24-2009, 12:05 PM

Wrong............ The Red Sox offered Buchholz, Ellsbury and a Class AA pitcher( Boston papers said probably Michael Bowden) . KW wanted Lester instead of Buch. Red Sox said no and deal died. Red Sox had signed Crisp as a CF and thought he would be their regular not Ellsbury.

Brian26
10-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Wrong............ The Red Sox offered Buchholz, Ellsbury and a Class AA pitcher( Boston papers said probably Michael Bowden) . KW wanted Lester instead of Buch. Red Sox said no and deal died. Red Sox had signed Crisp as a CF and thought he would be their regular not Ellsbury.

Do you have a link to this? I recall the supposed trade being Buehrle to Boston with the centerpiece of the deal being Crisp coming back to the Sox. Ellsbury wasn't even a possibility.

Boondock Saint
10-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Do you have a link to this? I recall the supposed trade being Buehrle to Boston with the centerpiece of the deal being Crisp coming back to the Sox. Ellsbury wasn't even a possibility.

That's the only one I remember. I think it was Crisp and a middling prospect.

oeo
10-24-2009, 04:27 PM

You're wrong. They never offered two top prospects or Kenny would have jumped all over it. Theo, as usual, was trying to rip someone off. He wouldn't even talk about Buchholz or Ellsbury.

Craig Grebeck
10-24-2009, 04:34 PM
You're wrong. They never offered two top prospects or Kenny would have jumped all over it. Theo, as usual, was trying to rip someone off. He wouldn't even talk about Buchholz or Ellsbury.
Why the contempt for Theo? He gives up good players in deals all the time. Marlins fans can attest.

oeo
10-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Why the contempt for Theo? He gives up good players in deals all the time. Marlins fans can attest.

Since then, who has he given up? Exactly.

He certainly tried to rip the Sox off in a potential Buehrle deal, and he routinely asks for the world when looking to deal marginal players (like Crisp, for instance).

Craig Grebeck
10-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Since then, who has he given up? Exactly.

He certainly tried to rip the Sox off in a potential Buehrle deal, and he routinely asks for the world when looking to deal marginal players (like Crisp, for instance).
Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena. David Murphy and Engel Beltre in the Gagne deal. David Riske for Javier Lopez.

You can bitch about him trying to rip people off, but you can't knock his success. He's been a great GM. Perhaps he just values Buehrle less than we do.

chunk
10-24-2009, 07:23 PM
That's the only one I remember. I think it was Crisp and a middling prospect.

I don't even remember there being a prospect in the deal.

SCCWS
10-24-2009, 08:41 PM
I don't even remember there being a prospect in the deal.

Couple of different links on Buehrle to BVoston rumors from 07.

http://blog.masslive.com/redsoxmonster/2007/06/mark_buehrle_to_the_red_sox_hm.html

"I'm not a big Buerhle guy at all. Talk about pitching to contact. Everybody hits him. The only thing good about him is that it doesn't take very long to pitch a game, one way or another. He throws a lot of strikes. I mean not to get on him, lefthanders have always amazed me how they get by. He knows how to pitch obviously, he threw a no-hitter, he's one of the best lefthanders around. I just... I'm afraid of him. I'm afraid of him because he throws too many strikes. I just, Fenway Park, I really don't know. You're only renting him for a couple of months, but beyond that, I'm just not a big fan of his because I think he's very hittable ... to me Gabbard's like Buerhle, but younger and throws harder." -- 6.25.07, Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley on WEEI's Dennis and Callahan show
Extra Bases: Are the Sox the Frontrunner to Pick Up ChiSox Lefty? (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/06/hot_rumor_red_s.html)

"According to the source, the Red Sox not only want to keep Buehrle away from the New York Yankees and are willing to offer him a contract extension in the five-year range he is seeking, but they have a farm system loaded with players in whom the White Sox are interested.

Starting pitchers Clay Buchholz and Michael Bowden are on the White Sox' radar, as well as speedy outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury and shortstop Jed Lowrie.

Sargeant79
10-24-2009, 11:26 PM

http://blog.masslive.com/redsoxmonster/2007/06/mark_buehrle_to_the_red_sox_hm.html

"I'm not a big Buerhle guy at all. Talk about pitching to contact. Everybody hits him. The only thing good about him is that it doesn't take very long to pitch a game, one way or another. He throws a lot of strikes. I mean not to get on him, lefthanders have always amazed me how they get by. He knows how to pitch obviously, he threw a no-hitter, he's one of the best lefthanders around. I just... I'm afraid of him. I'm afraid of him because he throws too many strikes. I just, Fenway Park, I really don't know. You're only renting him for a couple of months, but beyond that, I'm just not a big fan of his because I think he's very hittable ... to me Gabbard's like Buerhle, but younger and throws harder." -- 6.25.07, Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley on WEEI's Dennis and Callahan show
Extra Bases: Are the Sox the Frontrunner to Pick Up ChiSox Lefty? (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/06/hot_rumor_red_s.html)

"According to the source, the Red Sox not only want to keep Buehrle away from the New York Yankees and are willing to offer him a contract extension in the five-year range he is seeking, but they have a farm system loaded with players in whom the White Sox are interested.

Starting pitchers Clay Buchholz and Michael Bowden are on the White Sox' radar, as well as speedy outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury and shortstop Jed Lowrie.

Just because those guys were on the White Sox's radar doesn't mean that Theo Epstein would have parted with all or even one of them in a deal for Buehrle.

For what its worth, I remember that the rumor making the rounds was that Boston's starting offer was Coco Crisp and nothing more. Kenny of course said that wasn't going to cut it and countered by asking for Buchholz and Ellsbury, which was more than Boston was interested in giving up. Supposedly, he was close to accepting a deal that involved something in the middle...perhaps one of those guys, perhaps none of them...before reaching out to Buehrle one more time in an effort to extend him.

I don't ever recall hearing that an offer involving both Ellsbury and Buchholz was ever on the table. I find it very hard to believe that Kenny would have passed on an offer like that.

Lip Man 1
10-24-2009, 11:53 PM
This and that:

I've been in touch with some sources just to let them know what Buster said. Buster doesn't seem like the type of guy to just pull something out of his rear end and air it. Perhaps he's heard something and tried to put two and two together. Anyway I thought you'd be interested in reading what a past source told me...perhaps most revealing is the Sox history with Bard...maybe that's why Duane Schffer no longer works for them.

First their thoughts on this 'potential' deal:

"I agree with you on Buster, but why would Boston give up on Ellsbury? Can't be because of Brian Anderson, and the jury is out on Jed Lowrie."

Now on the Sox history with Bard:

"A scouting director from an AL team confirmed this and a Sox official wouldn't confirm nor deny the following. In 2005, the White Sox were going to select Daniel Bard. However, Duane Shaffer hadn't seen him pitch. So they passed on Bard and took ................ Lance Broadway."

I don't know much about Bard but I know what the Sox got out of Broadway...YIKES! :o:

Lip

oeo
10-25-2009, 12:12 AM

Epstein would not include, or even talk about, Buchholz or Ellsbury. They were "untouchable".

What's with the long quote from Eckersley making him sound like a moron?

Frontman
10-25-2009, 08:12 AM
...I can see a world where hot, naked females find me unbelievably irresistable.

That's a dream of yours? Your dream, my reality baby!!!!

Granted, the naked women look like Bea Arthur.......

cards press box
10-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Now on the Sox history with Bard:

"A scouting director from an AL team confirmed this and a Sox official wouldn't confirm nor deny the following. In 2005, the White Sox were going to select Daniel Bard. However, Duane Shaffer hadn't seen him pitch. So they passed on Bard and took ................ Lance Broadway."

I don't know much about Bard but I know what the Sox got out of Broadway...YIKES! :o:

Lip

This draft choice does seem to exemplify the exact problem that KW had with Shaffer. At the time of the draft, Broadway had pitched longer in college than Bard and might have had more polish at the time but Bard had way more upside.

KW is right -- in order to develop star players, a team needs to draft some high ceiling players. Drafting prospects who lack a high ceiling but have a solid college career might have struck Shaffer as a safe bet but it wasn't a good bet for the Sox. The so-called "safe" draft strategy does not yield star players and, thus, is contrary to the goal of winning a World Series. Without star players, it is hard to win a championship.

Tragg
10-25-2009, 11:45 AM
I know Phillies fans who still want Ed Wade's scalp for making the Gavin Floyd/Freddy Garcia trade.
Well, in the 2 seasons since that trade, they won a WS and are in a WS. I think they should get over it.

I know why we want Ellsbury - a fast slap-hitter to lead off (don't want a player who an drive the ball leading off - can't have that). But we have a CF.
We need a RF.

As for Theo, he's an aggressive GM who tries to better his team. He also has a massive budget that dwarfs that of most teams.
I know he was trying to stick us with Willy Mo Pena for someone - Dye maybe?
But nobody's required to deal with Theo. He's a good GM. It's the love of Shaprio in certain quarters that's laughable. He's awful.

Dirty30
10-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Well, in the 2 seasons since that trade, they won a WS and are in a WS. I think they should get over it.

I know why we want Ellsbury - a fast slap-hitter to lead off (don't want a player who an drive the ball leading off - can't have that). But we have a CF.
We need a RF.

As for Theo, he's an aggressive GM who tries to better his team. He also has a massive budget that dwarfs that of most teams.
I know he was trying to stick us with Willy Mo Pena for someone - Dye maybe?
But nobody's required to deal with Theo. He's a good GM. It's the love of Shaprio in certain quarters that's laughable. He's awful.

Rios can play RF.

Sargeant79
10-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Rios can play RF.

And I don't have a quote to back this up, but I seem to remember reading something recently about the Red Sox considering moving Ellsbury to left field.

Not that I think this trade would ever happen, but an outfield of Ellsbury in left, Rios in center, and Quentin in right would be pretty cool.

Tragg
10-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Rios can play RF.
His offense is marginal for a CF. We can't give up offense on a corner outfield position like that.

JermaineDye05
10-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Ranger just asked Scott Merkin, on White Sox Weekly, if he had heard anything about a Jacboy Ellsbury rumor involving the Sox. Merkin said that this was the first he ever heard anything about such a rumor. Nothing new, just more evidence to show that, not only will this most likely not happen, but that this rumor never existed outside of WSI.

Lip Man 1
10-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Jermaine:

The rumor didn't start at WSI. Buster Olney was suggesting it on ESPN radio.

Lip

JermaineDye05
10-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Jermaine:

The rumor didn't start at WSI. Buster Olney was suggesting it on ESPN radio.

Lip

Yeah, I know. To me it sounds more like a hypothetical than an actual rumored deal.

PennStater98r
11-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I know. To me it sounds more like a hypothetical than an actual rumored deal.

It's not even a good Hypothetical... it's weighted way in favor of the ChiSox. Theo's too smart for this one...