PDA

View Full Version : Sox interested in Aroldis Chapman.

JermaineDye05
10-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/10/cubs-white-sox-cards-interested-in-aroldis-chapman.html) Per MLBTR

Sox, Cubs, and Cards all interested. No surprise, I'm sure all MLB clubs are "interested" in Chapman. I know Kenny has the inside track with many Cuban players but somehow I don't think he has the financial flexibility to go after Chapman. The White Sox rotation is already formidable enough so I don't think there's much of a need for Chapman, although a young lefty who throws 100 is quite intriguing.

oeo
10-22-2009, 04:01 PM
I see no reason the Yankees or Red Sox will not sign him, but I'm not sure about this guy, anyway. He has electric stuff, but from what he showed in the WBC, he has a tough time getting it over the plate. Not to mention, he was very easily shaken a la Carlos Zambrano. Is that worth a big time contract? My guess is he would end up spending a big chunk of time in the minors.

cws05champ
10-22-2009, 04:38 PM
He's an intriguing guy but very high risk because of his price tag. I think I'd rather see what Yadel Marti has. Seems like a guy that could be used in the BP or in the rotation if needed (based on limited video I have seen on him).

LoveYourSuit
10-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/10/cubs-white-sox-cards-interested-in-aroldis-chapman.html) Per MLBTR

Sox, Cubs, and Cards all interested. No surprise, I'm sure all MLB clubs are "interested" in Chapman. I know Kenny has the inside track with many Cuban players but somehow I don't think he has the financial flexibility to go after Chapman. The White Sox rotation is already formidable enough so I don't think there's much of a need for Chapman, although a young lefty who throws 100 is quite intriguing.

I think one thing both the Yankees and the Phillies will show us when they get to the World Series is that you do not need 4 stud starters in the rotation to go all the way. 3 Starters is all you need.

I have a feeling the Sox will try to trade their most expensive starter in the rotation not named Jake Peavy to create the salary space they need to get a big bat in here. Just my feeling when I hear comments from the the front office stating that a popular face or two might not be here next season.

dickallen15
10-22-2009, 04:46 PM
If he was available for less than what Strasburg got, it would make sense, but $40-60 million would be beyond insane.

asindc
10-22-2009, 04:51 PM
I think one thing both the Yankees and the Phillies will show us when they get to the World Series is that you do not need 4 stud starters in the rotation to go all the way. 3 Starters is all you need.

I have a feeling the Sox will try to trade their most expensive starter in the rotation not named Jake Peavy to create the salary space they need to get a big bat in here. Just my feeling when I hear comments from the the front office stating that a popular face or two might not be here next season.

Especially when you get days off in-between playoff games in the same city.

DumpJerry
10-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Wise is already gone. I'm sure Castro won't be back, either.

guillensdisciple
10-22-2009, 05:05 PM
If we can get him on discount like we have with the other Cubans, why not?

It seems like many major league teams have yet to realize the potential Cuban players bring, and are not offering lucrative contracts like they would players from Japan. Alexei was a steal, and Viciedo will be a steal for that much money.

Kendry Morales is an absolute monster, and L.A got him for basically nothing. I would expect much of the same to happen in this situations. Many people will probably say he will get millions upon millions, but many people said that about Viciedo, and we got him pretty cheap.

LoveYourSuit
10-22-2009, 05:44 PM
wise is already gone. I'm sure castro won't be back, either.

lol !

DumpJerry
10-22-2009, 05:58 PM
It seems like many major league teams have yet to realize the potential Cuban players bring
:elduque:
I think Boston realizes this.

Sargeant79
10-22-2009, 09:02 PM
If we can get him on discount like we have with the other Cubans, why not?

There isn't going to be any discount for this guy. Someone will pay him (a ton) and it won't be us.

And given the money we already have tied up in pitching, I would say that this isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are other more pressing and less risky needs for this team that are going to require a significant financial contribution over the next couple years.

Domeshot17
10-22-2009, 11:43 PM
I would give it to him. Sign him, trade jenks, close thornton, chapman to thortons role. Financially its close to a wash

oeo
10-22-2009, 11:50 PM

You take a big risk, however. We haven't seen either team get into a lengthy series...now the Yankees are so we will see. It will burn you eventually.

Buehrle has no trade protection to some teams right now. And remember, his contract gets upped to $15 million annually and also gets an extra year added on if he's dealt. He becomes a 10-and-5 player on July 16th.

It wouldn't be smart to move Buehrle on many levels, including opening a new hole and PR.

oeo
10-22-2009, 11:52 PM
I would give it to him. Sign him, trade jenks, close thornton, chapman to thortons role. Financially its close to a wash

Except Chapman would be equal to a MacDougal out of the pen. Bad control and the bullpen don't work.

soltrain21
10-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Great. Now we get to hear everyone call them "The Cubans" again. Fantastic.

Domeshot17
10-23-2009, 03:37 AM
Except Chapman would be equal to a MacDougal out of the pen. Bad control and the bullpen don't work.

Totally false, You can be effectively wild. I promise you teams won't throw 40 mil at a guy they think CAN BE THE NEXT MIKE MACDOUGAL. There is also the school of thought that says a lot of young pitchers not only learn how to harness their stuff but also be more effective by spending a year in the bullpen. Maybe having a year with Coop can help him hone in his potential. This isn't a Coop Can Fix Em guy, this kid has insane, completely insane stuff. If he was in the draft there have been mlb scouts who think he would have went ahead of Strassburg. Kid has real deal potential.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-23-2009, 04:13 AM
Totally false, You can be effectively wild. I promise you teams won't throw 40 mil at a guy they think CAN BE THE NEXT MIKE MACDOUGAL. There is also the school of thought that says a lot of young pitchers not only learn how to harness their stuff but also be more effective by spending a year in the bullpen. Maybe having a year with Coop can help him hone in his potential. This isn't a Coop Can Fix Em guy, this kid has insane, completely insane stuff. If he was in the draft there have been mlb scouts who think he would have went ahead of Strassburg. Kid has real deal potential.

And that right there is probably why the Sox won't be able to get him. I can't see them spending crap loads of money on another Cuban player that hasn't played in the MLB yet. The Yankees or Red Sox will probably get him unfortunately. Although KW has surprised me before.

akingamongstmen
10-23-2009, 09:22 AM
I see no reason the Yankees or Red Sox will not sign him, but I'm not sure about this guy, anyway. He has electric stuff, but from what he showed in the WBC, he has a tough time getting it over the plate. Not to mention, he was very easily shaken a la Carlos Zambrano. Is that worth a big time contract? My guess is he would end up spending a big chunk of time in the minors.

Coop'll fix 'em! (I couldn't decide between pink or teal text)

oeo
10-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Totally false, You can be effectively wild.

Not when you get behind 2-0, 3-1 every batter. You're going to get hurt.

I promise you teams won't throw 40 mil at a guy they think CAN BE THE NEXT MIKE MACDOUGAL.

Oh, really?

I can promise you that they won't throw $40 million at him to be a ****ing set up man. He's not ready for the big show yet.

There is also the school of thought that says a lot of young pitchers not only learn how to harness their stuff but also be more effective by spending a year in the bullpen. Maybe having a year with Coop can help him hone in his potential. This isn't a Coop Can Fix Em guy, this kid has insane, completely insane stuff. If he was in the draft there have been mlb scouts who think he would have went ahead of Strassburg. Kid has real deal potential.

There are a lot of guys that have 'insane' stuff, but never learn to harness it. He could be a 'Coop Can Fix Em' guy. Not only does he have insane stuff, he appears to be a little insane in the head. Did you watch him in the WBC? When things went bad, he lost it. He appears to be a bit of a headcase. You want him blowing up games in the pen for $10 million a year?

jabrch
10-23-2009, 01:48 PM
This one has Daisuke Matsuzaka written all over it. The price he will fetch feels way out of the range of what I feel like we should be spending on a prospect, even a top tier one.

What did Strasburg get?

The obvious difference is that Chapman is a FA and has leverage while Strasburg, despite his agent's posutring, had almost none.

Foulke You
10-26-2009, 02:07 PM
This one has Daisuke Matsuzaka written all over it. The price he will fetch feels way out of the range of what I feel like we should be spending on a prospect, even a top tier one.

What did Strasburg get?

The obvious difference is that Chapman is a FA and has leverage while Strasburg, despite his agent's posutring, had almost none.
I was thinking about Dice-K too when this story broke. It's very risky to throw a ton of money like this at a foreign player that hasn't thrown a pitch in the bigs. I'd rather the Sox spend the money on proven talent this offseason. Let the Yankees or Red Sox eat this big contract. They can afford to have it blow up in their face a lot more than we can.

gr8mexico
11-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Chapman is now represented by the Hendricks Brothers. Randy Hendricks, who already represents one Cuban defector in Kendry Morales.
And this might be why http://www.bustedcoverage.com/?p=21764
Im sure that Chapman's pay day just dropped.
source http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/aroldis-chapman-drops-api.html#comments