PDA

View Full Version : 11 or 12 pitchers

Rockabilly
10-22-2009, 01:38 PM
With the Sox having 5 pretty damn good starters next year. Would you go with a 11 or 12 pitchers to start the season?

I would like to see a 11 pitchers and the bench as a back up OF, 2 Utily players and 2 back up catchers. So Flowers could also be the DH.

Sargeant79
10-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Way too early to answer that. You need to see who the personnel is before you can say whether an extra guy on the bench or an extra reliever would be more useful.

sox1970
10-22-2009, 02:06 PM
The way the game is managed with pitch counts, I can't imagine the Sox will have less than seven in the bullpen. In the AL, you really don't need five on the bench anyway.

Nellie_Fox
10-22-2009, 02:43 PM
So Flowers could also be the DH.A bit premature, don't you think? How do you know he's going to be a successful hitter at the major league level?

Lip Man 1
10-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I respectfully suggest that all fans wait until at least the team gets ready to head to Glendale before asking these things (aka who should start opening day? how many pitchers does the team carry? who's going to be the home team clubhouse assistant? how many notes will Nancy play this season on the Hammond organ?)

The team that finished the season is not going to be the team that takes the field at U.S. Cellular in April.

Let's all wait and see how the roster shakes out first. Granted many expect that the Sox won't make any significant changes (which will be a mistake in my opinion) but you can never say for sure what Kenny will do.

Lip

Rockabilly
10-22-2009, 02:49 PM
A bit premature, don't you think? How do you know he's going to be a successful hitter at the major league level?

he couldn't do any worse that Anderson, Wise or Lillibridge done on the major league level.

FielderJones
10-22-2009, 02:53 PM
he couldn't do any worse that Anderson, Wise or Lillibridge done on the major league level.

You'd really want to use Wise, Anderson, or Lillibridge as a DH? :scratch:

Craig Grebeck
10-22-2009, 02:58 PM

doublem23
10-22-2009, 03:00 PM

They're not DH's.

Nellie_Fox
10-22-2009, 03:00 PM
he couldn't do any worse that Anderson, Wise or Lillibridge done on the major league level.None of them was ever the DH.

Rockabilly
10-22-2009, 03:06 PM
None of them was ever the DH.

No but they were on a major league roster. I like to give the kid a chance like the Sox did this past season with Gordon

mcfish
10-22-2009, 03:08 PM

You'd really want to use Wise, Anderson, or Lillibridge as a DH? :scratch:

They're not DH's.

Also, why couldn't he do worse than those guys? There's no evidence that shows that he'll definitely succeed at the next level.

mcfish
10-22-2009, 03:09 PM
No but they were on a major league roster. I like to give the kid a chance like the Sox did this past season with GordonGiving a kid a chance and handing the kid the DH position are two different things. He'll get his chance at some point, but there's no way we should start next season counting on him as DH.

Rockabilly
10-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Giving a kid a chance and handing the kid the DH position are two different things. He'll get his chance at some point, but there's no way we should start next season counting on him as DH.

Who said anything about handing him the DH positon. My 1st post had him coming off the bench as a back up C and doing some DH duty.

Domeshot17
10-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Who said anything about handing him the DH positon. My 1st post had him coming off the bench as a back up C and doing some DH duty.

Which is a terrible idea. This isn't a pitcher that you stick in the bullpen. Flowers needs another year of 400 at bats at triple A both offensive and DEFENSIVELY. The kid is still a very raw catcher and he needs the work. Him playing 3 days a week and getting 200-250 major league at bats is only going to slow down his progress. The kid still has a lot of work to do before hes ready to be a major league contributor.

Rockabilly
10-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Which is a terrible idea. This isn't a pitcher that you stick in the bullpen. Flowers needs another year of 400 at bats at triple A both offensive and DEFENSIVELY. The kid is still a very raw catcher and he needs the work. Him playing 3 days a week and getting 200-250 major league at bats is only going to slow down his progress. The kid still has a lot of work to do before hes ready to be a major league contributor.

I think he can get that work on the major league level by learning from AJ. Flowers can get many at bats during winter league and spring training. Than play C, 1B and DH during the season.

Domeshot17
10-22-2009, 03:46 PM
I think he can get that work on the major league level by learning from AJ. Flowers can get many at bats during winter league and spring training. Than play C, 1B and DH during the season.

1) There have been reports that AJ refused to work with Flowers during his call up.

2) He needs his minor league at bats on top of winter and spring.

3) How are you not understanding the Kid is being groomed to take over for AJ but he isn't even close to major league ready defensively. He needs to focus 100% on catching, not 1b and DH. Those are worst case scenario back up plans. Alot of this kids value is tied up in the fact his offense is from the C position.

JB98
10-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I've never thought it was necessary to carry more than 11 pitchers, but that's not the way the game is managed anymore.

No matter the offseason roster moves, the Sox will carry 12 pitchers.

Rohan
10-22-2009, 07:55 PM
No but they were on a major league roster. I like to give the kid a chance like the Sox did this past season with Gordon

Gordon didn't excel because he was given a shot as a starter. He was given a shot as a starter because he excelled. Flowers hasn't shown the same degree of play that Gordon has in the minors.

Frater Perdurabo
10-22-2009, 09:28 PM

Actually, Ozzie had BA DH for a game in 2007. :o:

Rockabilly
10-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Gordon didn't excel because he was given a shot as a starter. He was given a shot as a starter because he excelled. Flowers hasn't shown the same degree of play that Gordon has in the minors.

I will take anyone coming off the bench that had these following stats
Avg 297
Hr's 15
RBi's 56
OBP 423

Seems to me that Flowers had a great season last season in the minors

TDog
10-22-2009, 10:02 PM

Brian Anderson did start a game at DH in 2007, and Wise has been a DH after pinch-running in the late innings for the slow DH who reached base, but I agree with your point.

It would be nice if Flowers learned to catch.

slavko
10-23-2009, 12:57 AM
If we eliminate the guy at the end of the bullpen that we don't want to see in a game for any sane reason, all we need is 11.