PDA

View Full Version : Memo to Bud Selig

Fenway
10-20-2009, 12:39 AM
MLB wants as many playoff games 'as possible' in Prime Time in the East ..

MLB doesn't want afternoon games in post-season unless they have no choice

I think Monday afternoon shows that MLB post-season can thrive in the afternoon in the east and central time zones. Anybody who loves baseball was watching the LAA-NYY game unfold.

My FB page exploded with people watching that game. Cripes the Phillies won later and the east coast was going to bed.

Selig WAKE UP

Grobber33
10-20-2009, 02:14 AM
MLB wants as many playoff games 'as possible' in Prime Time in the East ..

MLB doesn't want afternoon games in post-season unless they have no choice

I think Monday afternoon shows that MLB post-season can thrive in the afternoon in the east and central time zones. Anybody who loves baseball was watching the LAA-NYY game unfold.

My FB page exploded with people watching that game. Cripes the Phillies won later and the east coast was going to bed.

Selig WAKE UP

Sadly, it's not Bud. It's the damn TV Networks.It's about $$$$$$$$ and nothing else. In 1987 and 1988 Baseball worked a deal to have game 6 of the World Series played on a Saturday afternoon(in 1988 it didn't matter since the Dodgers beat the A's in five), but the TV big wigs said "no more" in 1989(year of the Earth Quake)-prime time games only or the rights fees drop. Baseball "blinked" first and they agreed,no more day games.
The TV Execs DO NOT CARE one bit about fans, kids getting to bed too late,or even losing young viewers. They only want their money,ratings(which haven't been that great anyway)and do not care about the comfort of fans or players in brutal cold weather. Bud has no choice here. If he stood up to the Networks and took lower rights fees in exchange for day games, the owners would string him up!

Oblong
10-20-2009, 08:07 AM
To the networks the baseball postseason is nothing but an audience into their new fall programs. They get a few million people watching their networks and they can be told about the new crime drama or a washed up stand up comedian's latest attempt at a talk show. It used to be about the amount they could charge Coca Cola or GM for ads. That's changed. Now the playoffs are not much more than an infomercial.

They have no interest in the fan base 2 years from now. The fewer fans there are then the less they'll have to pay.

Hitmen77
10-20-2009, 09:34 AM
These games are ending at 11:00 Central time. That's ridiculous. Are kids going to stay up that late on a school night to watch MLB playoffs? I'm not even staying up to watch the end of these games.

......and that's Central time. These games are going until midnight in the Eastern time zone.

WhiteSox5187
10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Sadly, it's not Bud. It's the damn TV Networks.It's about $$$$$$$$ and nothing else. In 1987 and 1988 Baseball worked a deal to have game 6 of the World Series played on a Saturday afternoon(in 1988 it didn't matter since the Dodgers beat the A's in five), but the TV big wigs said "no more" in 1989(year of the Earth Quake)-prime time games only or the rights fees drop. Baseball "blinked" first and they agreed,no more day games.
The TV Execs DO NOT CARE one bit about fans, kids getting to bed too late,or even losing young viewers. They only want their money,ratings(which haven't been that great anyway)and do not care about the comfort of fans or players in brutal cold weather. Bud has no choice here. If he stood up to the Networks and took lower rights fees in exchange for day games, the owners would string him up!

If ratings continue to sink for the World Series and the playoffs couldn't MLB say "Look, ratings can't get much worse, what do you have to lose by putting a World Series game on in the day time?" And if theoretically that caused the ratings to increase, then wouldn't the ad time for these games increase as well? Wouldn't that make sense?

salty99
10-20-2009, 01:49 PM
The Bears/Falcons game outdrew the Phillies/Dodgers by 15% in LA.

ewokpelts
10-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Day games on the weekends at least. It's pretty damm logical.

Hell, fox could have a nfl/mlb doubleheader on sunday. bears at 12 noon CST, alcs at 3:30 CST.

DSpivack
10-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Day games on the weekends at least. It's pretty damm logical.

Hell, fox could have a nfl/mlb doubleheader on sunday. bears at 12 noon CST, alcs at 3:30 CST.

Except that Fox broadcasts afternoon NFL games.

palehozenychicty
10-20-2009, 07:20 PM
To the networks the baseball postseason is nothing but an audience into their new fall programs. They get a few million people watching their networks and they can be told about the new crime drama or a washed up stand up comedian's latest attempt at a talk show. It used to be about the amount they could charge Coca Cola or GM for ads. That's changed. Now the playoffs are not much more than an infomercial.

They have no interest in the fan base 2 years from now. The fewer fans there are then the less they'll have to pay.

Ding Ding Ding!

cub killer
10-20-2009, 07:39 PM
MLB already experimented with 6pm starts for World Series games a few years back. They lost too many west coast viewers. The current format is here to stay, IMO.

munchman33
10-20-2009, 08:30 PM
All of you are old! LOL....

I don't know, there's arguments either way. I can't stand day baseball, and most people work. So unless you've got only one game a night, it's either an day game or a late game. I bet more people are willing to stay up than take off of work.

ewokpelts
10-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Except that Fox broadcasts afternoon NFL games.not every week.

asindc
10-21-2009, 09:29 AM
not every week.

Yes, every week. Even on weeks when they are not broadcasting in the Chicago market (Bears bye week, Bears playing Sunday or Monday night, Bears game on CBS), Fox is broadcasting some afternoon games in other markets.

Fenway
10-21-2009, 11:19 AM
NBC always worked with the NFL to simply get all their games at 1 PM Eastern when they had baseball.

CBS still does it to clear the US Open Tennis in September.

downstairs
10-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I respect everyone's opinion here, but I disagree. You have a game you want to play for as many people in 4 time zones.

If you start at 8 Eastern, that's 5 Pacific- right when people are getting out of work. Any earlier would be a pain in the butt for the people on the West Coast. Any later is a massive pain for those in the East.

What do you do?

8 Eastern seems like the right time to me. Its never going to be perfect for everyone when dealing with a live event across a national audience.

ewokpelts
10-21-2009, 12:48 PM
I respect everyone's opinion here, but I disagree. You have a game you want to play for as many people in 4 time zones.

If you start at 8 Eastern, that's 5 Pacific- right when people are getting out of work. Any earlier would be a pain in the butt for the people on the West Coast. Any later is a massive pain for those in the East.

What do you do?

8 Eastern seems like the right time to me. Its never going to be perfect for everyone when dealing with a live event across a national audience.Have you ever been to a nationally broadcasted mlb game out east?

8 eastern sucks if you're actually there. I was at all-star 2006, and we didnt get out till almost midnight.

downstairs
10-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Have you ever been to a nationally broadcasted mlb game out east?

8 eastern sucks if you're actually there. I was at all-star 2006, and we didnt get out till almost midnight.

Yeah, but its only fair to consider everyone across all 4 timezones.

I would imagine you'd say the same thing about it being too EARLY in California. A 4pm (or earlier?) start would be a pain if you had to work.

ohiosoxfan
10-21-2009, 01:00 PM
I think most people are missing out on a bigger issue- the time it takes to play the games. Last night was ridiculous as Kazmir took FOREVER to throw a pitch and many of his pitches went into the dirt in front of the plate. His defense must have been bored to tears. Combine that with 2-1/2 minutes of commercial break time between innings (18 x 2.5 = 45 minutes of breaks).

I don't usually like to defend the NFL but give them credit for changing rules over the years to speed up the games and keep them to a 3-hour time slot for the most part-although the instant replay needs to be sped up as well. Baseball needs to enforce rules to make the pitcher throw, cut down on catcher/pitcher meetings, keep the hitter in the box, etc. and keep the games to 3 hours and under or no one will ever see the finish of a televised game.

beasly213
10-21-2009, 01:04 PM
I'll agree with Much on this one. I hate day baseball for the playoffs. Having it at night makes it have a much better feel for me. Why not just have the games at 7:30 EST 6:30CST 4:30 PT. That way the west coast still gets to see most of the game its late but not crazy late for the east coast and the central its fine.

And when I say 7:30 EST I mean actually start the game at that time not a million pre game ceremonies and pre shows but first pitch starts then.

lpneck
10-21-2009, 01:23 PM
To be fair about a few things...

1.) If we are talking about day World Series games, the only time that works is Saturday or Sunday. Why would you have a weekday Worlde Series game when the entire world is at work? If you play a day game on Saturday or Sunday, you are going to lose viewers to football. I have no problem with the World Series being played at night.

2.) To their credit, the start time of the World Series games are being moved up to first pitch between 7:45 and 8:00 Eastern. This is about 45 minutes earlier than in the past. A 9-inning game will likely end between 11 and 11:30 Eastern, which is reasonable.

3.) The BIGGEST problem is the ridiculous off day between games 4 and 5 of the LCS (and between games 1 and 2 in one of the AL Division Series.) This is done purely to minimize the number of games that are played in the day so that there are no weekday afternoon games, and makes the playoffs feel like they come to a grinding halt (and allows teams to use only 3 starters on full rest.) If the NLCS had ended in a sweep, the winning team would not have played game 1 of the WS until 9 days later. That's insane. The problem developed because MLB decided it wanted the World Series to start on a Wednesday instead of a Saturday.

The dates need to go back to the OLD schedule- it was better back then... get your doubleheaders on the weekend during the LCS, and make the only off day the travel day (duh.)

Tue: Game 1 ALCS (7:45)
Wed: Game 2 ALCS, Game 1 NLCS (4:00, 7:45) (you can play these in either order... whatever is best for TV.)
Thu: Game 2 NLCS (7:45)
Fri: Game 3 ALCS (7:45)
Sat: Game 4 ALCS, Game 3 NLCS (4:00, 7:45)
Sun: Game 5 ALCS, Game 4 NLCS (4:00, 7:45)
Mon: Game 5 NLCS (7:45)
Tue: Game 6 ALCS (7:45)
Wed: Game 7 ALCS, Game 6 NLCS (4:00, 7:45)
Thu: Game 7 NLCS

Then the World Series is Sat, Sun, Tue, Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun

ewokpelts
10-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah, but its only fair to consider everyone across all 4 timezones.

I would imagine you'd say the same thing about it being too EARLY in California. A 4pm (or earlier?) start would be a pain if you had to work.i like sunshine during the all star game or world series.

LoveYourSuit
10-21-2009, 01:48 PM

What do you do?

8 Eastern seems like the right time to me. Its never going to be perfect for everyone when dealing with a live event across a national audience.

Couldn't have been said better.

I know if the Sox were to be throwin into a 1PM start slot for the ALCS on a weekday there would be a meltdown on this board because "how the hell can they do this to the children." Or "how am I suppose to miss work to catch the game."

The format right now makes sense for everyone, and it's a fair way to play it.

As for the children staying up late until midnight? Rather have them staying up to watch baseball than gang banging in the streets or doing all the other stupid things our youth does today.

AZChiSoxFan
10-21-2009, 02:45 PM
MLB already experimented with 6pm starts for World Series games a few years back. They lost too many west coast viewers. The current format is here to stay, IMO.

Do you mean 6 PM Eastern time? When was this?

AZChiSoxFan
10-21-2009, 02:48 PM

What do you do?

I would say 7 Eastern is a little better. I may be wrong, but it seems like playoff games typically go at least 3.5 hours, so even most people in the Pacific time zone would still be home to see the last half of a game that started at 4 PM their time. I also agree with many here saying that the weekend games should start earlier.

AZChiSoxFan
10-21-2009, 02:52 PM
The Bears/Falcons game outdrew the Phillies/Dodgers by 15% in LA.

I have to think that the poor ratings for this game were due to the fact that it was a blowout.

downstairs
10-21-2009, 02:55 PM
I would say 7 Eastern is a little better. I may be wrong, but it seems like playoff games typically go at least 3.5 hours, so even most people in the Pacific time zone would still be home to see the last half of a game that started at 4 PM their time. I also agree with many here saying that the weekend games should start earlier.

Well, they may be able to see it, but its a pain. You miss some of the beginning (no big deal to me)... but you're talking about watching during dinner time, right when the typical person gets home from work. Lots of people don't like that.

I'm single, so I'm all for getting a pizza and watching the game during dinner.

But lots of people don't like this at all.

downstairs
10-21-2009, 02:58 PM
As for the children staying up late until midnight? Rather have them staying up to watch baseball than gang banging in the streets or doing all the other stupid things our youth does today.

And lets face it: the "kids staying up until Midnight" is a bit much. On the east coast, maybe. But for 3/4 of the nation, we're talking 10pm ish or earlier.

Railsplitter
10-22-2009, 10:30 AM
One of the more ironic coincidences was the fact the World Series night game was in 1971- ther Same year the FCC took three hours of programming away from the networks. Prior to 1971, prime time began 7/6 on Sunday and 7:30/6:30 the rest of the week. With those three hours given over to local programs, a perfect time slot for pre-game was lost.

cub killer
10-24-2009, 03:51 AM
Do you mean 6 PM Eastern time? When was this?
6pm our time, the pregame show began . Started in 1995. Maybe lasted a couple of years or so.

WhiteSox5187
10-24-2009, 12:06 PM
6pm our time, the pregame show began . Started in 1995. Maybe lasted a couple of years or so.

Well if it started in 1995 there might have been other reasons people weren't watching, namely they were pissed off at the strike.

Ranger
10-24-2009, 02:25 PM

This is right to the extent that networks are really only concerned with the product for as long as they have it. They aren't thinking that they don't care if fewer people watch so they can pay less. They obviously want as many people watching as they can possibly get.

However, they really don't care about what happens to the sport if they aren't airing the games. And quite honestly, why should they? Baseball is really the only entity that needs to worry about baseball. And baseball (all pro sports, actually) really needs to start making sure enough young people and families can afford to go to games because that IS a problem that can become a serious issue 10-15 years from now.

Tragg
10-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Most reg season weekday games are played at night; no reason to switch for the playoffs.

GoSox2K3
10-24-2009, 09:54 PM

:lol:

This is one of the more ridiculous comments I've seen on WSI in a while.....(and this from a site where a poster claimed that Nancy Faust represents anti-veganism and another poster claimed that all suburban kids are effectively under house arrest. :o:)

doublem23
10-24-2009, 10:25 PM

What do you do?

1/2 the country's population lives in the Eastern time zone, though.

Soxfanspcu11
10-25-2009, 04:30 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AuKfdJ4rPweSzWDG9Xqer1V0fNdF?slug=jp-scheduling102409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

And just to address the title of this thread, when does Bud Selig do ANYTHING?? He is the WORST commish of any sport that I have ever seen EVER! How is he still the boss? He is a complete joke.

Marqhead
10-25-2009, 04:38 PM
And just to address the title of this thread, when does Bud Selig do ANYTHING?? He is the WORST commish of any sport that I have ever seen EVER! How is he still the boss? He is a complete joke.

As has been posted many times before: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

doublem23
10-25-2009, 05:26 PM

Baseball had something like $6 billion in revenue last year (IIRC). Somebody's doing something right.

You are also apparently unfamiliar with Gary Bettman.

Daver
10-25-2009, 05:51 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AuKfdJ4rPweSzWDG9Xqer1V0fNdF?slug=jp-scheduling102409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Bud Selig is the most powerful commissioner MLB has ever had, and no one else even comes close to wielding the power Bud does. You may not agree with what he does, but to say he does nothing is wrong at any level that you look at the statement.

TDog
10-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Most reg season weekday games are played at night; no reason to switch for the playoffs.

A lot of regular season weekday games in April are played in April because of the weather. If you are playing baseball in October during the week in New York, Philadelphia or even Chicago, you should be playing them during the day.

Weekend games, of course, should be played during the day. Even after the first World Series night game in 1971, weekend postseason games were played during the day for some time. There is no acceptable reason for a Sunday baseball game in late October in New York to be played at night.

Soxfanspcu11
10-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Bud Selig is the most powerful commissioner MLB has ever had, and no one else even comes close to wielding the power Bud does. You may not agree with what he does, but to say he does nothing is wrong at any level that you look at the statement.

He sits in his office or house or wherever the hell he hides at and never does a thing for his league. The success of baseball and it's income have been achieved inspite of him, not because.

akingamongstmen
10-26-2009, 12:18 PM
He sits in his office or house or wherever the hell he hides at and never does a thing for his league. The success of baseball and it's income have been achieved inspite of him, not because.

What would you like him to do (besides have more day games during the playoffs...which I think is a good idea)?

soltrain21
10-26-2009, 12:24 PM

What are you expecting him to do on a daily basis? Would you like him to add a new rule everyday or something?

ewokpelts
10-26-2009, 12:40 PM
He sits in his office or house or wherever the hell he hides at and never does a thing for his league. The success of baseball and it's income have been achieved inspite of him, not because.very far from the truth.

downstairs
10-26-2009, 01:15 PM

This is just not true.

I think people hate Bud because he's dopey and awkward. Or they just need someone to hate- sort of like how every nearly owner gets booed during trophy presentations.

Selig has done more- with more difficult restrictions, with more scrutiny- than any other commish in any other league. Maybe ever.

The fact that any commish could have overseen the changes to baseball from 1990-today, in the environment that has existed, is amazing.

Oblong
10-28-2009, 03:07 PM
http://www.detnews.com/article/20091028/SPORTS0104/910280324/1129/sports/Tigers-played-in-the-last-World-Series-to-see-sunshine

Looks like Bud wants a WS day game and Fox is willing... if they lower the rights fee!

tebman
10-28-2009, 05:00 PM
I think people hate Bud because he's dopey and awkward. Or they just need someone to hate- sort of like how every nearly owner gets booed during trophy presentations.

Selig has done more- with more difficult restrictions, with more scrutiny- than any other commish in any other league. Maybe ever.

The fact that any commish could have overseen the changes to baseball from 1990-today, in the environment that has existed, is amazing.
There's a lot of truth in that. I reflexively filter nearly everything Selig says or does because I see league officials as nuisances and spoilsports (at best).

My distaste for Selig goes back to his aggressive effort to prevent Bill Veeck from buying the Sox in late 1975. Veeck tells the story in the epilogue of "Veeck As In Wreck." Selig was on the owner's committee dealing with the sale of the Sox, which MLB wanted to prevent so that the White Sox could be moved to Seattle. Selig played a prominent role in trying to prevent Veeck's purchase.

I know, I know...it's been 34 years and I should let it go, but as a fan I have a long memory. Selig's clumsiness since then has not endeared him to me either.

Sorry, Bud. The root of the word "fan," after all, is "fanatic." I plead guilty.

mrfourni
10-28-2009, 05:22 PM
http://www.detnews.com/article/20091028/SPORTS0104/910280324/1129/sports/Tigers-played-in-the-last-World-Series-to-see-sunshine

Looks like Bud wants a WS day game and Fox is willing... if they lower the rights fee!

I understand that weekday World Series games can't be played during the day anymore. But wouldn't you think Fox could play the Saturday game at 3:00 Central time like they do the game of the week during the regular season?

I'm not an expert, but I would think the ratings for an afternoon baseball game would be on par with what they get on a Saturday night? They'd be going up against college football either way.

ewokpelts
10-28-2009, 05:48 PM
There's a lot of truth in that. I reflexively filter nearly everything Selig says or does because I see league officials as nuisances and spoilsports (at best).

My distaste for Selig goes back to his aggressive effort to prevent Bill Veeck from buying the Sox in late 1975. Veeck tells the story in the epilogue of "Veeck As In Wreck." Selig was on the owner's committee dealing with the sale of the Sox, which MLB wanted to prevent so that the White Sox could be moved to Seattle. Selig played a prominent role in trying to prevent Veeck's purchase.

I know, I know...it's been 34 years and I should let it go, but as a fan I have a long memory. Selig's clumsiness since then has not endeared him to me either.

Sorry, Bud. The root of the word "fan," after all, is "fanatic." I plead guilty.selig owned the seattle pilots. there was a very good reason why he wanted a replacement team in seattle.

TornLabrum
10-28-2009, 07:20 PM
selig owned the seattle pilots. there was a very good reason why he wanted a replacement team in seattle.

Selig BOUGHT the Seattle Pilots and moved them to Milwaukee.

Fenway
10-28-2009, 07:37 PM

Selig also resented that Montreal and not Milwaukee got the 1969 expansion franchise and then did very little to keep the Expos afloat and in fact did much to kill them.

TommyJohn
10-28-2009, 09:44 PM
selig owned the seattle pilots. there was a very good reason why he wanted a replacement team in seattle.

Selig also resented that Montreal and not Milwaukee got the 1969 expansion franchise and then did very little to keep the Expos afloat and in fact did much to kill them.If Bud Selig had his way, the White Sox would now be the Milwaukee Brewers. The White Sox were the team he wanted to buy and move in 1969. The league was against the proposed move, which is why Arthur Allyn eventually sold the team to brother John.

TommyJohn
10-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Selig also resented that Montreal and not Milwaukee got the 1969 expansion franchise and then did very little to keep the Expos afloat and in fact did much to kill them.
In my opinion, Selig is slimy. I don't buy the befuddled uncle act for one second. He was an active part of the coup that ousted Fay Vincent. He allowed himself to be installed in the office by Jerry "baseball doesn't belong to the fans, players or umpires. It belongs to the owners" Reinsdorf. He still owned the Brewers at the time and the conflict of interest bothered him obviously not one whit.

Oblong
10-28-2009, 09:59 PM
In Vincent's book he talked about George W. Bush seeking advice. He said Selig was pushing for him to be commissioner but some guys in Texas were wanting him to run for Governor. Vincent told him if Selig says he wants Bush to have the job the that means Selig wants the job for himself. Stay away. So he did.