PDA

View Full Version : Sox Spring Training Schedule

Rockabilly
10-19-2009, 09:29 AM
http://springtrainingonline.com/teams/chicago-white-sox-3.htm

Partial schedule

roylestillman
10-19-2009, 11:19 AM
For those of you doing some early planning, circle March 20th in Glendale when the Sox play an afternoon game and The Blackhawks play the Phoenix Coyotes down the road that night.

chisoxfanatic
10-19-2009, 12:24 PM
For those of you doing some early planning, circle March 20th in Glendale when the Sox play an afternoon game and The Blackhawks play the Phoenix Coyotes down the road that night.
Hmmmm...That's on a Saturday...It might be a nice weekend getaway! As long as flight prices are reasonable, that might be a cool thing to do!

skobabe8
10-19-2009, 01:21 PM

What a FANTASTIC idea! We will be in Phoenix from 3/20-3/27 and I am going to get to that Hawk game.

MarySwiss
10-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Hmmmm...That's on a Saturday...It might be a nice weekend getaway! As long as flight prices are reasonable, that might be a cool thing to do!

What a FANTASTIC idea! We will be in Phoenix from 3/20-3/27 and I am going to get to that Hawk game.

I haven't seen you guys for a couple of years, so I'd be up for this! Probably some other locals would as well.

You'll miss the Cubs by one day, but that game is usually wayyyy crowded, plus you have those Cub fans to deal with.

Strange that the Cubs/Sox game is on a Friday, though. :scratch:

skobabe8
10-19-2009, 01:48 PM
I haven't seen you guys for a couple of years, so I'd be up for this! Probably some other locals would as well.

You'll miss the Cubs by one day, but that game is usually wayyyy crowded, plus you have those Cub fans to deal with.

I would like to get together with everyone, that's a good idea. The only problem is that the Hawk game is at 6pm. We land at 4:45 and we have to get our rental car and check into the hotel. Its gonna be close getting to the game.

Also, the Coyotes rank dead last in attendance. If you are thinking about buying tickets, you might be OK to wait until you go to the arena to save on the TM fees.

I have no problem missing the Cubs game. I enjoy the experience more when the crowds are smaller. You can get close to the field and usually have easier access to the players.

Heather, check Southwest. Tickets are around $150-$200 round trip. Liz and I got 2 tickets out of Milwaukee for $475 fter taxes and fees.

MarySwiss
10-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I would like to get together with everyone, that's a good idea. The only problem is that the Hawk game is at 6pm. We land at 4:45 and we have to get our rental car and check into the hotel. Its gonna be close getting to the game.

Also, the Coyotes rank dead last in attendance. If you are thinking about buying tickets, you might be OK to wait until you go to the arena to save on the TM fees.

I have no problem missing the Cubs game. I enjoy the experience more when the crowds are smaller. You can get close to the field and usually have easier access to the players.

Heather, check Southwest. Tickets are around $150-$200 round trip. Liz and I got 2 tickets out of Milwaukee for $475 fter taxes and fees.

One word of advice; make sure you guys book your car and hotel well ahead. I know the economy sucks, but March out here is prime season. The hotel situation shouldn't be a problem, but a car might be. And of course, if you book your room with a hold for late check-in, you could always just go to the game directly from the airport.

skobabe8
10-19-2009, 02:15 PM
One word of advice; make sure you guys book your car and hotel well ahead. I know the economy sucks, but March out here is prime season. The hotel situation shouldn't be a problem, but a car might be. And of course, if you book your room with a hold for late check-in, you could always just go to the game directly from the airport.

I booked the car yesterday. Our hotel is a timeshare, so I'm not sure of the check-in situation. Have the Coyotes sold out any games this year? I am going to try to wait to get tickets.

But thanks for the tips.

MarySwiss
10-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I booked the car yesterday. Our hotel is a timeshare, so I'm not sure of the check-in situation. Have the Coyotes sold out any games this year? I am going to try to wait to get tickets.

But thanks for the tips.

Hate to admit it, but I'm not a big hockey fan. Heather would probably know the answer to that better than I would. :smile:

michned
10-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Now that I also have to "travel" to Spring Training games, this might be a perfect day to catch a game and take my boys to their first ever Hawks game.

chisoxfanatic
10-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Mary, how quickly do non-Cubs spring training games sell out? Would it be a problem if I waited until I got there to get a ticket at the booth?
Wow, thanks for the 411! That's about half the cost that it would be to fly out of Midway on the same airline! Amazing!

Since I'm not getting Sox season tickets this coming year, I might be able to afford this. I've been wanting to see the Hawks on the road more, plus I've wanted to see the Sox in spring training, so this might be cool to do!

But thanks for the tips.
Jobing.com Arena holds 17,000. They have had 3 home games so far this year, and the attendance figures are as follows:

Home opener vs. Columbus: 17,532 (they called this a "rare sellout" on the ESPN.com game recap)
Thursday vs. St. Louis: 6,899
Saturday vs. Boston: 9,162

They typically have 35-45% capacity during the week and about 50% capacity (sometimes a little more) during the weekend. I'd suggest calling the arena a few weeks beforehand to check on the status of tickets. If there are lots left, you shouldn't have any problem waiting until you get to the arena to purchase tickets.

MarySwiss
10-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Mary, how quickly do non-Cubs spring training games sell out? Would it be a problem if I waited until I got there to get a ticket at the booth?

Not usually. At worst, you'd have to settle for lawn, but you should be able to at least get into the park for any non-Cubs game. I usually buy lawn anyway because I like to walk around.

ewokpelts
10-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Wife wants to hit spring training this year, but really prefers to hit vegas is the cubs/sox games are there again.

manders_01
10-20-2009, 07:12 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing. Oh well, I'll still be there for that.

MarySwiss
10-20-2009, 07:53 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing. Oh well, I'll still be there for that.

Cool! Looking forward to seeing you again, Manders! Maybe Mr and Mrs Spawn can join us this time! :smile:

chisoxfanatic
10-20-2009, 08:13 PM
So, I'm tentatively thinking of flying in on the Saturday and out on the Monday (I'd rather use a personal day on a Monday than a Friday), which would mean going to spring training instead on Sunday. I'm gonna be running figures to see how much all of this would cost. If I can get something between $400 and $500 for the whole weekend, then I think I'd be up for it and would love to meet up with all of you guys at both that Hawks game and spring training.

SOXfnNlansing
10-20-2009, 10:37 PM
We are planning on going between March 27th and April 2nd. It would be cool to see the Sox the week before I see them on opening day!

Coyote tickets are really easy and cheap to get too. Wish I could go again, but the boy starts spring break on the 27th.

chisoxfanatic
11-02-2009, 07:42 PM
So, I'm 95% sure I'll be doing this. My boyfriend even said he wants to join me for the weekend, as he's a Hawks fan who would love to go to the Hawks/Coyotes game that Saturday. He wouldn't be coming to the spring training game with me (he'd do something else while I was at spring training), but he could drop me off.

Where is the Maryvale place where it says the Brewers play (that's on the Sox' schedule Sunday the 21st)? Is it anywhere near Glendale, where we'd most likely want our hotel to be, since it's close to Jobing.com arena?

ewokpelts
11-03-2009, 10:39 AM
http://camelbackranchbaseball.com/schedule/

TWO home games vs. Cubs

and at home before the hawks game on 3/20

ewokpelts
11-03-2009, 10:43 AM
and ST tour info posted

http://www.springtrainingtours.com/Whitesox/whitesox.html