PDA

View Full Version : Best fans in the world????

Fenway
10-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Mike Lupica has lost his mind

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/10/18/2009-10-18_the_best_fans_ever_no_matter_the_cost_no_other_ team_inspires_such_devotion.html

southside rocks
10-18-2009, 10:31 AM
You know, it was a really long game last night -- five hours plus. Perhaps Mr. Lupica was over-served during that time? Because that column sure reads like drunken hyperbole. "Issha bess damn city inna WORL' and yer the bess damn FANS too." :cool:

SI1020
10-18-2009, 10:37 AM
It's easy to keep showing up when your team has more world championships than any other in North America. Really, I'm probably more respectful of east coast fans than most around here, but stuff like this causes a visceral negative reaction among those of us who grew up in flyover country.

russ99
10-18-2009, 10:47 AM
It's easy to keep showing up when your team has more world championships than any other in North America. Really, I'm probably more respectful of east coast fans than most around here, but stuff like this causes a visceral negative reaction among those of us who grew up in flyover country.

I'd even dispute best fans in MLB, which many teams can claim.

But best in the world? When Yankee fans stand during the whole match in freezing cold and chant and sing the whole game until their throats are gone, then they can claim part of that title, which is shared by many soccer fans worldwide.

#1swisher
10-18-2009, 11:22 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/10/18/2009-10-18_the_best_fans_ever_no_matter_the_cost_no_other_ team_inspires_such_devotion.html

It's easy to do. I know exactly what he means.

When I take the red line on gameday, to enter the train with other White Sox fans and every stop more fans get on, the feeling is a mix of emotions, from pride, joy, excitement and fun!

TommyJohn
10-18-2009, 11:40 AM
I thought Twerpica was a Yankee hater?

Fenway
10-18-2009, 11:46 AM
It's easy to do. I know exactly what he means.

When I take the red line on gameday, to enter the train with other White Sox fans and every stop more get on, the feeling is a mix of emtions, from pride, joy, excitement and fun!

For starters I would put Toronto Maple Leafs fans high on the list. They haven't had an empty seat since 1946 and they have seen some awful hockey teams in the past 40 years.

For baseball St Louis has to be considered as they support the Cards no matter what.

I will not argue that gameday at Yankee Stadium is special and the feeling has crossed 161st St to the new park. But you get the feeling at many other parks as well.

DumpJerry
10-18-2009, 11:49 AM
"Best" in this context is a subjective word, so it cannot be said who is best in an objective manner.

LITTLE NELL
10-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Based on their attendance figures its hard to argue with Lupica, however the Yankees have a larger and wealthier fan base than any other team. That being said the Yankees in the late 60s and early 70s when they had some lousy teams did not draw well at all just drawing over 1 million in those years and the Mets outdrew them for about 6 or 7 years. That was a long time ago but one could wonder how many fans would pay the steep admission prices to see a Yankee team that floundered around last place for 3 or 4 years.

PS The BoSox from 61 to 67 were not too good at the gate either failing to draw a million fans in any of those years.

guillensdisciple
10-18-2009, 02:16 PM
I'd even dispute best fans in MLB, which many teams can claim.

But best in the world? When Yankee fans stand during the whole match in freezing cold and chant and sing the whole game until their throats are gone, then they can claim part of that title, which is shared by many soccer fans worldwide.

This.

No sports has more of a following across the world than soccer. This guy has no idea what he is talking about, and the best fans definitely do not belong to the Yankees.

Railsplitter
10-18-2009, 02:25 PM
You know, it was a really long game last night -- five hours plus. Perhaps Mr. Lupica was over-served during that time? Because that column sure reads like drunken hyperbole. "Issha bess damn city inna WORL' and yer the bess damn FANS too." :cool:

That plays a part in it. Beeing a Yankees fan is easy with those 26 championships behind you. Bear in mind most of those chamionships were from the time before I was born ( December '64) which means the same for a singnigicant chunk of Yankee fandom

"Best" in this context is a subjective word, so it cannot be said who is best in an objective manner.

True, it's a matter of opinion, but I like a little evidence with opinions.

SOXSINCE'70
10-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm partial to the White Sox.

SOXSINCE'70
10-18-2009, 02:26 PM

We'll see how great your damn fans when they start LOSING.

Lip Man 1
10-18-2009, 06:54 PM
It's very easy to be a "great" fan when your team hasn't had a losing season since 1992 have made the playoffs nine times just this decade, have by far the largest payroll and the most "stars" on any team and consider a "90" win season grounds for firing a manager.

Sorry I'm not convinced.

Lip

Railsplitter
10-19-2009, 10:14 AM

One must first have a mind before one can lose it.

wilburaga
10-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Please, let's cut Yankee fans a little slack - they're exorcising their demons from not having made the playoffs last year.

w

MisterB
10-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Please, let's cut Yankee fans a little slack - they're exorcising their demons from not having made the playoffs last year.

w

If demons were actually keeping the Yanks out of the playoffs, I'd gladly start a cult to round up human sacrifices to keep them going. :Rocker:

Madvora
10-19-2009, 12:31 PM
I won't even look at these articles anymore. Why is there so much desire lately to point out who's fans are better than another?

The only ones that are going to agree with the article are the ones you are writing about. What's the point?

Dub25
11-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Being a Yankee fan is like rooting for North Carolina or Duke in college buckets. Takes no effort when you have no heartbreak every year. Yankees spend to reload and Duke and Carolina rely on rep to reload. At a college level that's about the same as spending.

DSpivack
11-05-2009, 01:20 AM
Being a Yankee fan is like rooting for North Carolina or Duke in college buckets. Takes no effort when you have no heartbreak every year. Yankees spend to reload and Duke and Carolina rely on rep to reload. At a college level that's about the same as spending.

Oh, the big college programs spend money to get top talent, don't think that they don't.