PDA

View Full Version : How do we fix things this offseason?

steely712
10-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I was discussing with a friend that the sox need to do something this offseason, but we could not quite put our fingers on anything in particular other than the bullpen. It seems as though we are pretty set at every position. Or am I wrong? I just don't know what the sox can accomplish this offseason with the players that they already have in place. Any suggestions?:scratch:

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2009, 05:10 PM
I was discussing with a friend that the sox need to do something this offseason, but we could not quite put our fingers on anything in particular other than the bullpen. It seems as though we are pretty set at every position. Or am I wrong? I just don't know what the sox can accomplish this offseason with the players that they already have in place. Any suggestions?:scratch:
Look at every single thread on this forum which suggests answers to each question you've posed.

oeo
10-15-2009, 05:18 PM

We need a right fielder, a left-handed stick, and some think we could use a second baseman or third baseman, depending on their feelings of Beckham as a third baseman.

Zisk77
10-15-2009, 05:31 PM
I think we need a LF and a RF (tCQ at DH to stay healthy) and pen help (which may come from within the organization).

DumpJerry
10-15-2009, 05:33 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/v5cache/TBS/Images/Dynamic/i10/home_improv_tim_240x260_052820041524.jpg
Need something fixed?

oeo
10-15-2009, 05:39 PM
I think we need a LF and a RF (tCQ at DH to stay healthy) and pen help (which may come from within the organization).

The plan is to have a rotating DH, which I like a lot.

I personally would like to see them pass on Pods and look elsewhere (not Figgins, look to the trade market), as well. Gordon doesn't appear to be moving from 3B, Alexei isn't moving from SS, and I think they still like Getz at 2B, although no one has come right out to say it. My guess would be the Sox think they're set in the infield.

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2009, 05:39 PM
We need a right fielder, a left-handed stick, and some think we could use a second baseman or third baseman, depending on their feelings of Beckham as a third baseman.
I want a third baseman -- though I'd settle for John McDonald as an everyday second baseman if we get a power-hitting outfielder. I'd then trade Getz for a reliever.

DumpJerry
10-15-2009, 05:44 PM
I want a third baseman -- though I'd settle for John McDonald as an everyday second baseman if we get a power-hitting outfielder. I'd then trade Getz for a reliever.
I'm sorry, but this make no sense whatsoever. Beckham is fine at Third and people keep forgetting Getz was a ROOKIE this year. He's going to be alright.

oeo
10-15-2009, 05:46 PM

In that scenario (trading Getz), I would rather Jayson Nix be the everyday second baseman. John McDonald?? I'm surprised that's coming from you.

captain54
10-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, at least we don't have to worry about the offensive approach and the hitting coach, because that aspect of the team was stellar in 2009

guillensdisciple
10-15-2009, 07:38 PM
I am one of the crazies that believes that this team will win the World Series next year. I know this is crazy, but I saw so many downs this year that it seems possible that next year might bring everyone back to normal.

If it is that way, then I expect the Sox to destroy their competition.

SoxSpeed22
10-15-2009, 08:03 PM
We need to shore up our outfield. We have good players, but we need to figure out how to use them the right way. I don't expect much out of Pods next season, so we have to be prepared. We also need to figure out what's going to happen with JD and Paulie. Paulie is 33, is in the last year of his contract and looked like he's on the decline this year. Figuring out what's going to happen with the vets is going to be difficult.
Our infield defense showed improvement near the end of the season, but we need to maintain that. Getz, Ramirez and Beckham will show improvement next season.
For the rotation, I doubt that Garcia lasts the whole season, so we might need insurance. I would rather see Hudson in the pen to develop his pitches more.
The bullpen depends on what happens with Jenks. If we end up trading him, we will probably end up moving Thornton to closer. In that case, we will need another left-handed reliever. Randy Williams did good enough to earn a spot. Dotel will probably walk, so we'll need Pena more. Linebrink has been great in April and May, but after that, it goes to hell. So I don't know what will happen there.
Kenny can make the right moves, of course he will probably surprise us a few times, but that's the way he works.

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm sorry, but this make no sense whatsoever. Beckham is fine at Third and people keep forgetting Getz was a ROOKIE this year. He's going to be alright.
Beckham would provide more value to this ballclub in the middle infield. Getz was a rookie, but how much room for improvement can we expect offensively and defensively? What is his ceiling? Can he stay healthy?

In that scenario (trading Getz), I would rather Jayson Nix be the everyday second baseman. John McDonald?? I'm surprised that's coming from you.
He's a defensive god. This team needs some good defense up the middle, and I'd love to have McDonald. Of course, we need to improve offensively to justify having a worse version of Adam Everett manning 2nd base. It's just a suggestion -- I certainly understand anyone ridiculing it as McDonald is pure ass offensively. I just love that glove.

Daver
10-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Beckham would provide more value to this ballclub in the middle infield.

How? Exactly.

sullythered
10-15-2009, 09:46 PM
I am one of the crazies that believes that this team will win the World Series next year. I know this is crazy, but I saw so many downs this year that it seems possible that next year might bring everyone back to normal.

If it is that way, then I expect the Sox to destroy their competition.
The White Sox will win the World Series in 2010. Mark it down.

Bucky F. Dent
10-15-2009, 09:47 PM
We need a corner outfielder, and we need to shore up the defense in the middle of the infield.

oeo
10-15-2009, 09:51 PM
We need a corner outfielder, and we need to shore up the defense in the middle of the infield.

I think the outfield defense is a bigger concern, which is why we need not just a corner outfielder, but specifically a right fielder. Quentin isn't a very good defender, and his arm is erratic at best. The infield defense will be better for the simple fact that Gordon and Alexei both have a year under their belts at their respective positions. I know Alexei has played SS before, but he obviously had/has a lot of bad habits. He looked a lot better the final two months of the season, though. Made good throws and didn't make the boneheaded plays he was making earlier in the year.

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2009, 09:52 PM
How? Exactly.
I can't tell if you meant to say "How exactly?"

Well, whatever. I've run it over a thousand times. Beckham is an adept middle infielder and his bat plays better in the middle infield. It would allow us to move Getz and set up a wonderful middle infield of Ramirez and Beckham for the future. Of course, this is contingent on acquiring a legitimate third baseman.

I would hope that when you respond to this with the inevitable "you know baseball like my ass chews gum!" or "my dog wears a glove on his head!" post, you follow your own rules of:

Yeah, telling someone they are wrong because their opinion does not match the parameters of yours is a bit childish, I'm glad to see you realized this.

oeo
10-15-2009, 09:56 PM

Well, whatever. I've run it over a thousand times. Beckham is an adept middle infielder and his bat plays better in the middle infield. It would allow us to move Getz and set up a wonderful middle infield of Ramirez and Beckham for the future. Of course, this is contingent on acquiring a legitimate third baseman.

I would have agreed with you before the season. However, after watching Beckham, I think he's going to be more powerful than you give him credit for. He's already a doubles machine, and a lot of those long fly outs will turn into homeruns in the coming years as his body finishes maturing.

Daver
10-15-2009, 10:00 PM

Well, whatever. I've run it over a thousand times. Beckham is an adept middle infielder and his bat plays better in the middle infield.

Since when is defensive ability measured in how you hit?

And have you really watched him play middle infield and compared it to how he plays third? Or are you just pulling this out of thin air?

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2009, 10:01 PM
I would have agreed with you before the season. However, after watching Beckham, I think he's going to be more powerful than you give him credit for. He's already a doubles machine, and a lot of those long fly outs will turn into homeruns in the coming years as his body finishes maturing.
Then why not move him to second base? Beckham + adequate third baseman trumps Beckham + Getz for me.

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Since when is defensive ability measured in how you hit?

And have you really watched him play middle infield and compared it to how he plays third? Or are you just pulling this out of thin air?
I actually pulled it clear out of my ass Daver. But I'm sure you'll continue to ridicule my opinion rather than post a well-reasoned analysis of your own. Why break precedent?

Edit: and also, how is this "bat plays well" thing so easily lost on you? If he can play good defense in the middle infield he is a far better player at second base than third base.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-15-2009, 10:04 PM
-One solid bullpen arm (not some beast, just a decent guy)...
-LF or RF. Unless we plan on Kotsay being full-time RF, we need a good RBI guy for LF or RF.

I think it would be cool to get Konerko to DH, Kotsay play 1st or RF and get a 1st or RF guy. All this kind of crazy stuff can be found in other threads also. :tongue:

oeo
10-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Then why not move him to second base? Beckham + adequate third baseman trumps Beckham + Getz for me.

If you can find that, fine, but who? I would put third base behind a right fielder and our bullpen, of what needs to be filled first.

I think Beckham will be fine at third base, both defensively and offensively (in the future). We have other holes to fill first.

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2009, 10:08 PM
If you can find that, fine, but who? I would put third base behind a right fielder and our bullpen, of what needs to be filled first.

I think Beckham will be fine at third base, both defensively and offensively (in the future). We have other holes to fill first.
Understandable. I hope that's a priority as well. I'm all for Marlon Byrd in right field -- as for bullpen, just sign a bunch of crap and see what sticks. Don't go the Scott Linebrink route again.

soxinem1
10-15-2009, 10:09 PM

I would hope that when you respond to this with the inevitable "you know baseball like my ass chews gum!" or "my dog wears a glove on his head!" post, you follow your own rules of:

Beckham had a much better rookie season both offensively and defensively than Robin Ventura. Robin was in a much better lineup as well. Beckham being a 25 HR 95 RBI guy in 2010 is very possible and attainable.

At first I was not sold on Bacon as a 3B but his last 35-40 were really quite solid. Not just from the standpoint of errors, but watching him make sound, excellent plays leads me to believe he has a future there.

Daver
10-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I actually pulled it clear out of my ass Daver. But I'm sure you'll continue to ridicule my opinion rather than post a well-reasoned analysis of your own. Why break precedent?

Edit: and also, how is this "bat plays well" thing so easily lost on you? If he can play good defense in the middle infield he is a far better player at second base than third base.

I was quite sure you did, you specialize in it.

Watch the tape from college, his range is not great, he moves better to his left than his right, he played next to a good third baseman in college. Just watching his development this season his arm and his reactions work well at third base, and compliment a pitching staff that has two lefties that are groundball pitchers.

As for the bat nonsense that you seem to put so much stock in, keep it, load of crap as far as I'm concerned, your ability to hit has a value all it's own no matter where you play on the field, the same can be said for defense. The whole notion of hitting for the position is based on parameters geared toward aiding agents in contract negotiations, like most of the garbage stats that are collected nowadays.

Craig Grebeck
Beckham had a much better rookie season both offensively and defensively than Robin Ventura. Robin was in a much better lineup as well. Beckham being a 25 HR 95 RBI guy in 2010 is very possible and attainable.

At first I was not sold on Bacon as a 3B but his last 35-40 were really quite solid. Not just from the standpoint of errors, but watching him make sound, excellent plays leads me to believe he has a future there.
Whatever. I know he can be a good third baseman, I just think he can be a great second baseman.

Bucky F. Dent
I think the outfield defense is a bigger concern, which is why we need not just a corner outfielder, but specifically a right fielder. Quentin isn't a very good defender, and his arm is erratic at best. The infield defense will be better for the simple fact that Gordon and Alexei both have a year under their belts at their respective positions. I know Alexei has played SS before, but he obviously had/has a lot of bad habits. He looked a lot better the final two months of the season, though. Made good throws and didn't make the boneheaded plays he was making earlier in the year.

I would agree that the problems with the infield might be solved by another year worth of experience for the current cast of characters.

Noneck
10-15-2009, 10:29 PM
"We" cross our fingers.

areilly
10-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Paulie is 33, is in the last year of his contract and looked like he's on the decline this year.

He's past his prime, yes, but Konerko's 2009 almost perfectly matched his career average season. One more year with Paulie won't hurt the Sox, and honestly they have considerably bigger issues than what slow-moving power bat they put at first base.

Domeshot17
10-16-2009, 03:01 AM
I was quite sure you did, you specialize in it.

Watch the tape from college, his range is not great, he moves better to his left than his right, he played next to a good third baseman in college. Just watching his development this season his arm and his reactions work well at third base, and compliment a pitching staff that has two lefties that are groundball pitchers.

As for the bat nonsense that you seem to put so much stock in, keep it, load of crap as far as I'm concerned, your ability to hit has a value all it's own no matter where you play on the field, the same can be said for defense. The whole notion of hitting for the position is based on parameters geared toward aiding agents in contract negotiations, like most of the garbage stats that are collected nowadays.

This is just not entirely true because you have to look at the offensive production of those you can replace the position with. Chris Getz for example was a below average but "good enough" offensive 2b this year. However, lets say he played 3rd base equally well, he would be one of the worst offensive 3rd basemen in baseball. Its the same reason why guys like JT Snow and Doug Mankeiteiwiwitz never stuck as long as they could have. As incredibly defensively as they were, they played an offensive position and what they could do with the glove was outweighed by what they couldn't do with the bat.

Personally, I like the idea of being flexible with Gordon. His game should play well at 3rd or 2nd. He isn't going to win any gold gloves at either position, but he isn't going to be a liability. The only thing we don't know is how he turns the double play. That said, if we could pick up Adrian Beltre in Free Agency really cheap off a down year, he has always played a very strong 3rd defensively, if he can get back to 25 homers 30 doubles 85 rbis, that at 3rd plus Gordon at 2nd is tremendous.

I am down on Getz. I think the kid is just going to be, well, okay. He won't hurt you, but he isn't anything special. He is kind of like Theriot on the cubs, he is scrappy and streaky, so youll love him at times and hate him at times.

In terms of this thread, we need a middle of the order bat. That is fix 1. It can be DH or corner OF (or 2b/3b if the Sox are willing to be flexible) but the White Sox need someone who can knock in 100 runs. It doesn't have to be all home runs, a 40 double guy can do (although homers play better at our park). Currently, no one on this roster is a safe bet for 100 rbis. Konerko is aging, so hes fine hitting 6th, but not 4. Quentin may be a .260 30 homer 100 rbi guy, but hes never had a healthy season, so we will have to see. We need a guy who consistently is going to hit close to .300 and drive in 100 runs. (for the Record, I don't think Beltre is that guy, I just think the Sox offense is better with Beltre and Gordon than Gordon and Getz).

Frater Perdurabo
10-16-2009, 08:07 AM
In terms of this thread, we need a middle of the order bat. That is fix 1. It can be DH or corner OF (or 2b/3b if the Sox are willing to be flexible) but the White Sox need someone who can knock in 100 runs. It doesn't have to be all home runs, a 40 double guy can do (although homers play better at our park). ... We need a guy who consistently is going to hit close to .300 and drive in 100 runs.

What the Sox really need, and what you are describing, is a prototypical #3 hitter, preferably left-handed.

Rohan
10-16-2009, 10:30 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/v5cache/TBS/Images/Dynamic/i10/home_improv_tim_240x260_052820041524.jpg
Need something fixed?

http://www.sirearevalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/bob-the-builder-icon-v8.jpg

Can we fix it?
Yes we can!

Zisk77
10-16-2009, 11:35 AM

I am not a advocate of moving Getz, but if thats what we are going to do I would prefer to sign Placido Polanco as a free agent. He could even hit leadoff if a better candidate presents itself. He does not strike out and is good at the "small ball" things. and he plays good defense. Plus we could increase revenue by renting ad space on his forehead.:D:

Daver
10-16-2009, 02:21 PM
This is just not entirely true because you have to look at the offensive production of those you can replace the position with. Chris Getz for example was a below average but "good enough" offensive 2b this year. However, lets say he played 3rd base equally well, he would be one of the worst offensive 3rd basemen in baseball.

So what?

Hitting has nothing to do with how you play defense, period.

It will affect where you may bat in the order, or whether you platoon at the position, or start at all, but that's about it.

russ99
10-16-2009, 02:38 PM
I want to see Kenny being active this offseason. Bring in some new pieces. They don't have to be flashy (even though I'd love to see Figgins come here), but they should fill a need.

I think every Sox fan can agree we need 1-2 more outfielders/guys who can play a position or DH, we need reliable backup at SP (Garcia and Hudson can't be counted on for 25 starts), and we need 2 relievers who can get guys out in the late innings.

An extra hitter for 3B or 2B is a nicety. If we get one, great if not, we're fine with who we have now. Hopefully Kenny can address that as well.

If Pods or Kotsay are re-signed that fits the bill of the bench outfielder. Flowers or Armstrong will likely be the backup catcher. Other than that the bench is a question mark.

Fixing the bullpen has to be a bit of wait and see, until the Jenks situation is ironed out. Right now, the only guys to count on are Thornton, Pena and Carrasco, so that means 2 rightys and a lefty need to be brought in.

Link and Nunez are interesting bullpen options from the system, but they'd be the third guy, not 1 or 2.

UChicagoHP
10-17-2009, 12:04 PM
They need Matt Holliday...(and yes, I know it 'aint happening due to Holliday being a Boras/$200 million player...it would still be nice to sign one of these elite talent once every ten years or so...the Peavy/Rios trade/acquisition does count as one though) ....since counting on Quentin to recover from the wrist/foot injuries is not the safest of bets.

Hopefully Konerko continues his SLOW decline, and can still give the club 30 HR's and a .270+ average, but the team needs another power bat, unless they are damn close to 100% confident in Quentin's health/skills.

The pitching staff is playoff quality, but the lineup is far from it...

Positions that are playoff quality or better than MLB average, imo...

SP/RP/C/1B(although a player over the age of 30 can fall off at any time)/SS(Beckham or Alex)/LF(Assuming Carlos is healthy)

I still have serious doubts about 3B/CF/RF/DH(hopefully Dye, as I think he is just the type to excel in this laid-back role)

Going into the season with one or two question marks is acceptable, but that is it...

munchman33
10-17-2009, 12:51 PM
So what?

It will affect where you may bat in the order, or whether you platoon at the position, or start at all, but that's about it.

You think Beckham is a good third basemen? I think he was average at best. Maybe seeing the likes of Josh Fields out there lowered your standards. But Beckham is a far cry from special defensively at third base.

Hitting has nothing to do with how you play defense. But hitting at a position where your offense is out of the norm can be incredibly helpful. We can get a 3B in free agency or trade that can play better than Beckham defensively and put up good offensive numbers as well. Not to mention, you get to replace Getz's little league stick with Beckham's. Wanting to keep Gordon at a position he's not particularly special offensively and certainly not special defensively makes no sense, especially when you consider the plethera of other options available to us.

Daver
10-17-2009, 01:08 PM
You think Beckham is a good third basemen? I think he was average at best.

Where did I say he was a good third baseman?

BleacherBandit
10-17-2009, 01:16 PM
I think the infield is good offensively. Even Getz had an acceptable average. He can also get little blooper, Twin-like hits. Defensively, the infield wasn't looking too sharp though. But I think that can be handled in spring training/early next season. What KW needs to do is get some help in the bullpen and figure out the lead-off situation/outfield.

munchman33
10-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Where did I say he was a good third baseman?

I made that assumption because you seem to be lobbying to keep him there. What is your position?

Daver
10-17-2009, 01:47 PM
I made that assumption because you seem to be lobbying to keep him there. What is your position?

Based on what I have seen from his play at SS in college, his skills are better suited for third than they are for middle infield, he moves to his left better than he does to the right, his range is no more than average, and he has a plus throwing arm in both strength and accuracy.

Jerksticks
10-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Dude, the way you respond to others is comical. My favorites of yours are the simple "No." and the "(your point), period." It's almost as if you try to make discussion into a contest, a contest nobody else cares to enter. Why do we all laugh at your responses? Because on any given day, a Soxtalk discussion is the least important thing that happens to any of us.

I will also support ya though bud. Beck appears to be a quickstep/reflexes machine, the essential skill set of a 3B. While I understand where the others are coming from, in reference to moving him to 2B, I still feel he is better protected at the hot corner. I don't want people sliding into him constantly during the double play. Let's keep him nice and safe over at 3B.

Nellie_Fox
10-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Dude, the way you respond to others is comical. My favorites of yours are the simple "No." and the "(your point), period." It's almost as if you try to make discussion into a contest, a contest nobody else cares to enter. Why do we all laugh at your responses? Because on any given day, a Soxtalk discussion is the least important thing that happens to any of us.

This is not Soxtalk.
I can't tell who you are directing this at. "Dude" is a little non-specific
You don't speak for "all" of us. I don't care who or what your are responding to, you don't.
It borders on a personal attack. Knock it off.

lostsimpsonfg24
10-21-2009, 09:09 PM
We have to sign 2 hitters this offseason. Here's some realistic options in the order of how I want it to happen: Figgins, Abreu, Podsednik, Matsui, Laroche, Damon, Byrd, Dye, Winn, and Thome.

We'll probably sign one reliever. I'd prefer: Soriano, Gonzalez, Oliver, Beimel, Kalero, Grabow, Eyre, Lyon, Dotel, or trade

Our bench should be solid if Kotsay returns: Kotsay, Nix, De Aza, Flowers

NLaloosh
10-22-2009, 01:45 PM

Just trade Paul Konerko for Albert Pujols.

Fixed.

Lip Man 1
10-22-2009, 02:52 PM
LaLoosh:

You forgot to mention, raise the payroll 20 million.

LOL!

Lip

Tragg
10-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Just get a right fielder in here - one who an hit and over his position.
With Pods and Quentin, we'd have 2 LF.

munchman33
10-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Just get a right fielder in here - one who an hit and over his position.
With Pods and Quentin, we'd have 2 LF.

RF is a position that's a little hard to get above average production right now, unless you're taking a hit defensively. Dye, Guerrero, Abreu...what else is there? Those guys should all be DHing.

Right now I'm drawing a blank on highly productive offensive RFers who also field well, other than incredibly unavailable players like Nick Markakis, Ichiro, Jayson Werth, Andre Either, and Hunter Pence.

socaljeff
10-24-2009, 06:48 PM
What if Quentin (particularly with his injury status) was the "full time" DH & then they went after a left-handed outfielder either via trade or free agency? Is this a possibility??

Frater Perdurabo
10-24-2009, 07:39 PM
What if Quentin (particularly with his injury status) was the "full time" DH & then they went after a left-handed outfielder either via trade or free agency? Is this a possibility??

I think it's a splendid idea for the Sox to trade for Carl Crawford, and have him bat third.

I think it's highly improbable, though. :(:

MetroPD
10-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Fire Ozzie and hire Carl Everett. Its apparent that the players won't play for Ozzie anymore, and Crazy Carl motivated people. Sounds like a win win situation to me.

lostsimpsonfg24
10-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Does anyone else think Adrian Gonzalez would be the perfect trade? Konerko is gone after this season and we need a lefty that can hit home runs. He is on the Padres trading block. What would it take to get him?

Rdy2PlayBall
10-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Why can't Kotsay play 1st, Konerko DH, and then shift the whole infield over for a 3rd baseman? Then all we would have to do is sign one hitter... and get one or two GOOD bullpen arms. :?:

2010 defense > 2009 defense... just by doing this.

tm1119
10-26-2009, 11:22 PM
C- AJ
1B- PK
2B- Getz
SS- Alexei
3B- Beckham
LF- Pods
CF- Rios
RF- Quentin
DH- Matsui
Bench- Nix, Kotsay, Vet backup C(maybe cole armstrong), De Aza or Lillibridge(winner of ST battle)

SP- Peavy
SP- Buehrle
Sp- Danks
SP- Floyd
SP- Garcia
BP- Carrasco
BP- Pena
BP- Williams
BP- Nunez/Torres/Hudson/Santeliz(again, who ever is best in ST)
BP- Linebrink
SU- Thorton
CL- Jenks

Matsui and Quentin switch on and off at DH. The only 2 question marks in my mind would be Pods and Garcia. If Pods doesnt continue his success from last year we would then have to play Kotsay at DH/OF or bring up a minor leaguer if one is standing out and play Matsui and Quentin in the OF(scary). We also have either Torres or Hudson if Garcia cant last the season(which im pretty sure will happen).

Craig Grebeck
10-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Why can't Kotsay play 1st, Konerko DH, and then shift the whole infield over for a 3rd baseman? Then all we would have to do is sign one hitter... and get one or two GOOD bullpen arms. :?:

2010 defense > 2009 defense... just by doing this.
Because we would instantly have the worst hitting first baseman in baseball.

Billy Ashley
10-26-2009, 11:51 PM
So what?

The point is that it's much harder to find a good hitter who can ably perform at a difficult defensive position.

Ever notice how there are a lot of sluggers at 1b/LF and DH. It's not difficult to play these spots. Try getting a guy who's the size of Adam Dunn to play adequate 2b, hell he cant even play a good LF.

Baseball is full of middle infielders who are well below average hitters and above average fielders. If you can find a guy who can stick at SS or 2b and not kill you with the bat, he's a much more valuable hitter than some slow poke in LF.

Most scouts think Beckham can play and stick at 2b. Some thing he could also do it at SS. If he posts an OPS of .880 at SS he'd be one of the best offensive players in the game.

In short an .880 OPS from a SS is better than a .950 OPS from a 1b, why? 1b tend to be better hitters than SS, the SS is outperforming his peers by a much greater margin.

russ99
10-30-2009, 07:18 PM
If the Series goes 7 games, we have 22 days before Kenny starts setting up the 2010 roster.

Can't wait...

Pablo_Honey
10-30-2009, 07:40 PM
I have been all for keeping Beckham at short, but the problem is we don't have a 3B ready in the wings and the 3B market is very poor. I'm not happy with either Alexei's or Getz' production but they are both cheap and have room to grow. Unless Kenny pulls off a big trade, the infield will probably stay the same and that won't really hurt the team next season. It will be interesting to see what Kenny does in the offseason because the offense is such a big mess right now.

KMcMahon817
11-02-2009, 03:32 PM
I know that this has been discussed before in other threads, but I don't feel like spending my afternoon locating it. Does anyone know what the rules are for re-negotiating a new contract with Dye would be? It is obvious that he is not worth his 12 million dollar option for 2010, and I am sure he would agree, but if the Sox do decide to decline that option can they immediately start negotiations for a new, more realistic deal or do they have to wait several weeks? This is obviously assuming that they would like Dye to return.

Thanks.