PDA

View Full Version : Ginter for Closer!

Champ Summers
06-09-2002, 05:24 PM
Simply put, he's awesome. I ran a thread a while back lauding his merits but just look at the way he is blowing hitters away.

raul12
06-09-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Champ Summers
Simply put, he's awesome. I ran a thread a while back lauding his merits but just look at the way he is blowing hitters away.

there's a big difference between a score of 13-2 and 1-1. i'm sure the 'spo's just wanted to get out of here and go home with the series win. i'm not saying ginter is pretty good, it's just that let's not jump on every bandwagon that comes by.

Jerry_Manuel
06-09-2002, 05:52 PM
Matt has looked great this season, thus far. Reminds me of how Fogg looked last year with the Sox in September.

Fogg last year with the Sox:
11 games
13.1 innings
10 hits
3 R; 3 ER
3 BB; 17 K
2.02 ERA

Ginter this season:
8 games
18.1 innings
16 hits
8 R; 5 ER
5 BB; 13 K
2.45 ERA

I'm not saying Ginter is Josh Fogg, but the numbers are kind of close. Maybe Ginter has finally found "it".

WinningUgly!
06-09-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Matt has looked great this season, thus far. Reminds me of how Fogg looked last year with the Sox in September.

Fogg last year with the Sox:
11 games
13.1 innings
10 hits
3 R; 3 ER
3 BB; 17 K
2.02 ERA

Ginter this season:
8 games
18.1 innings
16 hits
8 R; 5 ER
5 BB; 13 K
2.45 ERA

I'm not saying Ginter is Josh Fogg, but the numbers are kind of close. Maybe Ginter has finally found "it".

:KW
"Hmmmn...interesting. Maybe I'll give Pittsburgh a call back and offer Garland, Ginter & Osuna for Mike Williams...or is it Dave Williams? Either way I'll honor the deal."

Garrison
06-09-2002, 06:09 PM
I have liked Ginter all season. He's awesome. I'd like to have him closing games instead of Foulke. Anyone but Foulke or Osuna to close games is just fine with me.

duke of dorwood
06-09-2002, 08:45 PM
And the manager hinted he will be the one sent down to bring up another infielder. The lousy evaluation of players continues by this regime.

Champ Summers
06-09-2002, 08:58 PM
@*#&! That seems typical!

Dadawg_77
06-09-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
And the manager hinted he will be the one sent down to bring up another infielder. The lousy evaluation of players continues by this regime.

Who else can they send down? Osuna can't be sent down unless its a rehab. Without sending down a starter, the only pitcher you can send down is either Ginter or Glover. Anyone else would need to clear waivers, I believe. Maybe Kenny can pull a Sturzte(sp?) for Tony type of trade.

But why do the Sox need another IF, with Graf, Jose, Ray, Royce, Liefer. You have two guys who can play the IF on the bench. And in NL games, you can have Frank/Paul or Liefer play first if needed off the bench. The Sox should either bring up Wee Willy (if he have options remaining), Crede (No more options so he would need to stick) or LTP. Is there anyone else in AAA that is ready or has a skill the Sox could use?

Jerry_Manuel
06-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

He's not getting much of a chance to pitch, no use having him wasting away in the bullpen. If it were me, I'd just cut Royce, and call up Crede, leaving a roster spot for Matt. Oh well, only time will tell. However, as I've said before, if they plan on having Biddle in the rotation, he needs more to go more than an inning. They should send him down and let him get his arm ready.

Randar68
06-09-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
But why do the Sox need another IF, with Graf, Jose, Ray, Royce, Liefer. You have two guys who can play the IF on the bench. And in NL games, you can have Frank/Paul or Liefer play first if needed off the bench. The Sox should either bring up Wee Willy (if he have options remaining), Crede (No more options so he would need to stick) or LTP. Is there anyone else in AAA that is ready or has a skill the Sox could use?

Well, technically, Rock, Ginter, Marte, Wunsch could all be sent down without waivers....not sure about the others....

Basically, though, Ginter and Rock are the only real candidates...

I also wouldn't mind seeing Rock get a regular turn in the rotation in AAA...but, if he can get regular middle relief work, maybe for this whole year to get his arm back to 100%, is also fine...

Dadawg_77
06-10-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Well, technically, Rock, Ginter, Marte, Wunsch could all be sent down without waivers....not sure about the others....

I thought Pitt was planning on releasing Marte since they ran out of options, but they traded him to Lenny the Great instead? Am I incorrect on that, or does a team that trades for a person get an option on that person? Doesn't really matter on this subject but might put a different light on that trade.

LongDistanceFan
06-10-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

I thought Pitt was planning on releasing Marte since they ran out of options, but they traded him to Lenny the Great instead? Am I incorrect on that, or does a team that trades for a person get an option on that person? Doesn't really matter on this subject but might put a different light on that trade. [/B] a trade is a trade.......... you might be thinking of the rule v draft, however you do bring up a very interesting thought. maarte was out of options in the nl, since he was traded he is still out of options....... correct.........

after rereading your post, i think you are asking the same question......... i think....... my bad

DrWatson27
06-10-2002, 11:44 AM
:KW
"Hmmmn...interesting. Maybe I'll give Pittsburgh a call back and offer Garland, Ginter & Osuna for Mike Williams...or is it Dave Williams? Either way I'll honor the deal." [/B][/QUOTE]

Damn-you beat me to it!

hold2dibber
06-10-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Basically, though, Ginter and Rock are the only real candidates...

Carlos Lee!