PDA

View Full Version : hmmmm....

raul12
06-09-2002, 05:19 PM
well, i didn't get here right after the game, but is it just me that there are a lot more posts after we LOSE than when we win? after a loss, people are calling for everyone's head, but after they win, no one's here to give credit where credit is due. that's ****** up. oh well, some people probably just like to :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

WinningUgly!
06-09-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by raul12
well, i didn't get here right after the game, but is it just me that there are a lot more posts after we LOSE than when we win? after a loss, people are calling for everyone's head, but after they win, no one's here to give credit where credit is due. that's ****ed up. oh well, some people probably just like to :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Really? I hadn't noticed. :D:

HawkDJ
06-09-2002, 05:40 PM
I was pissed we were playing like crap but all this white flag, fire Jerry, fire Nardi, fire pettis, fire ward stuff was ridiculous.

Viva Magglio
06-09-2002, 05:42 PM
Losses anger fans and prompt them to come here and vent. I know what you mean. It's far easier for me to post a string of angry messages after a loss than post a string of warm and fuzzy messages after a win like today. It's hard to vent when you're happy.

WinningUgly!
06-09-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I was pissed we were playing like crap but all this white flag, fire Jerry, fire Nardi, fire pettis, fire ward stuff was ridiculous.

Yep, but there will always be plenty of it...anytime the Sox lose. Sombody does need to be made an example of, to light a fire under this team's a$$. I don't know who would be better, or more deserving than Nardi.

Procol Harum
06-09-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I was pissed we were playing like crap but all this . . . fire Nardi . . . stuff was ridiculous.

:nardi
"I'll say."

Procol Harum
06-09-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Losses anger fans and prompt them to come here and vent. I know what you mean. It's far easier for me to post a string of angry messages after a loss than post a string of warm and fuzzy messages after a win like today. It's hard to vent when you're happy.

As loss after loss piles up people get edgier and edgier--particularly in this case as expectations were high (and all the more so with our good start). When they win a blow-out after having lost several close, low-scoring affairs the vast majority of Sox fans' reactions range somewhere between flat-out relief and "It's about time."

But in many respects, that's probably par for the course with human nature. Compare what happens when you go to a restaurant and get a good meal--how many times do you speak to the manager--but when you have a bad experience, how often do you meekly exit or smile and say, "It's ok guys, I know you'll go get 'em tomorrow--you still have one of the best staffs and menus of any restaurant in town--I understand that all restaurants go through their ups and downs." Yeah, you'd hear that :smile:

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 06:25 PM
well, i didn't get here right after the game, but is it just me that there are a lot more posts after we LOSE than when we win? after a loss, people are calling for everyone's head, but after they win, no one's here to give credit where credit is due. that's ****** up. oh well, some people probably just like to :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: maybe it was the weekend......... that is my excuse.

pudge
06-09-2002, 06:41 PM
I have a real problem with the first post on this thread - it's one victory amongst a couple weeks of terrible baseball by the Sox, I'm not about to jump on here and start praising anybody. Hey, if we were on a roll and beating everyone left and right, I'd post all sorts of high-fives and backslaps. The point is, fans have a lot to pick at after the losses this season, because so many of the losses shouldn't have been losses. Notice how we won again in a blow-out? Who cares about the damn blow-outs, we need to win close ones. I'm still mad as hell and not gonna be fooled by today's 13-2 win.

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I have a real problem with the first post on this thread - it's one victory amongst a couple weeks of terrible baseball by the Sox, I'm not about to jump on here and start praising anybody. Hey, if we were on a roll and beating everyone left and right, I'd post all sorts of high-fives and backslaps. The point is, fans have a lot to pick at after the losses this season, because so many of the losses shouldn't have been losses. Notice how we won again in a blow-out? Who cares about the damn blow-outs, we need to win close ones. I'm still mad as hell and not gonna be fooled by today's 13-2 win. a win is a win in the standings...... however, i will take it anyway i can.......... not that i am disagreeing with you.........

FanOf14
06-09-2002, 07:26 PM
This was one win. The Sox are still under .500 if I remember correctly. I still think Manuel and Nardi have to go. To be under .500 at this point in time with the talent that they have is ridiculous. Yes I blame the players as well, but if they screw up, they need to be benched or something not rewarded with starting - that is part of the manager's job. Mistakes happen, but when a player repeated does stupid things and still gets to start when there are 2 guys on the bench that can take his place, that imo, shows that the manager is either weak or doesn't know how to let a player know that slacking off will not be tolerated. Also, if you say you are indefinitely benching someone, stick to your guns no matter how much whining said player does to the media.

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 07:34 PM
he was to be bench indefinitely.......... it means not the whole season...... right............ as much as i would like it to be.

FanOf14
06-09-2002, 07:42 PM
His indefintely lasted all of 6 innings before he brought him in as a defensive replacement - which I am fine with, but in the week since that announcement was made, he has started twice (if I recall correctly). Whatever the case is, if he can repeat today's performance, he is more than welcomed back to the starting lineup. My only question is why does it take him half a season to get his bat going.

bradj
06-09-2002, 08:22 PM
Manuel has shown us all year that he is going to take this team nowhere but down the tube- the complaining isn't about losing but about how we lose. Pitchers taken out too fast, terrible execution and baserunning and a lineup that changes every game. The manager has to set the tone for the team and establish the ground rules of what will and won't be accepted and Manuel is a wishy washy zero. He is a .500 manager. We need some kick ass fire- bring in Jimmy Piersall and let's go.

Daver
06-09-2002, 08:25 PM
Jimmy Piersall?

LMAO!!!

Jerry_Manuel
06-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by daver
Jimmy Piersall?

LMAO!!!

Yeah, the same guy who said Garland had no balls.

:garner
I'm waiting ****ers, just give me the call and I'll start kicking ass!

raul12
06-09-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by pudge
The point is, fans have a lot to pick at after the losses this season, because so many of the losses shouldn't have been losses.

true, but in 2000, a lot of our wins probably should have been losses, and i bet you weren't saying "wow, the other team really blew it" rather you were saying "our team rules!"....things tend to even out over time. some of the losses we've had this year were wins in 2000 with virtually the same squad....granted some of that is "lack of heart" as some might call it, but some of it's some of that good ole' fashioned karma comin' 'round. if a game ever existed that involved inches, it is baseball.

btw, i'm all for firing nardi and JM, but all this talk of trading the whole frickin' team is a little absurd. what i think put me over the edge was our 2-1 loss and it seemed NOT ONE person mentioned yet another solid performance by garland. it was all :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

pudge
06-10-2002, 01:13 AM

true, but in 2000, a lot of our wins probably should have been losses, and i bet you weren't saying "wow, the other team really blew it" rather you were saying "our team rules!"....things tend to even out over time.

what i think put me over the edge was our 2-1 loss and it seemed NOT ONE person mentioned yet another solid performance by garland. it was all :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Okay, this goes back to what I said before, nobody is gonna pat good ol' Garland on the back after we're blowing game after game, that's life. When the team loses, who cares who shined? That's the first rule of team sports.

As for the wins in 2000, I don't doubt we played over our heads that year, but what the heck does that have to do with this season? Don't give me that odds and karma garbage, I took four years of statistics classes, I know getting heads once doesn't give you better odds of getting tails on the next flip. Why can some teams win year after year, but we must catch our "bad karma" after our 2000 season? That's utter b.s.

But I know what you're saying, we're all just frustrated now, and sure there are always going to be more people pointing at the negative than the positive. I just had to play devil's advocate on some of your points raul.

Tragg
06-10-2002, 02:03 AM
well, i didn't get here right after the game, but is it just me that there are a lot more posts after we LOSE than when we win? after a loss, people are calling for everyone's head, but after they win, no one's here to give credit where credit is due. that's ****** up. oh well, some people probably just like to :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

So I take it that you are satisfied with playing below .500 ball? People who don't agree with your assessment that this is a below .500 quality club are whiners?

I would say that most Sox fans figured us to win between 54% and 60% of our games. So, when we win we are doing what we expect to happen - not that much to talk about.

Further, much, if not most, of the discussion about games and the Sox involves moves, trades, personnel, etc. It isn't as big an issue when you win v. when you lose. Those are completely legitimate issues to discuss. Indeed, talk dies down with a win, even though it is one of only a few in the last 3 weeks.

LongDistanceFan
06-10-2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Tragg

So I take it that you are satisfied with playing below .500 ball? People who don't agree with your assessment that this is a below .500 quality club are whiners?

I would say that most Sox fans figured us to win between 54% and 60% of our games. So, when we win we are doing what we expect to happen - not that much to talk about.

Further, much, if not most, of the discussion about games and the Sox involves moves, trades, personnel, etc. It isn't as big an issue when you win v. when you lose. Those are completely legitimate issues to discuss. Indeed, talk dies down with a win, even though it is one of only a few in the last 3 weeks. like 11 wins in the last 13 games, i think it was something like that. but the losing showed some glaring mistakes that was done and some that was not done.