PDA

View Full Version : Matt Holliday in 2010?

MARTINMVP
10-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Any chance he goes back to the Cardinals, or is he going to take the big money in New York or Boston?

I was listening to KTRS-AM 550 in St. Louis last week, and the talk on that station was that the Cards are going to begin talking about renewing with Pujols, even though he still has another year on his contract. To me, that doesn't seem like a good indication that the Cards think Holliday will return.

soltrain21
10-12-2009, 02:36 PM
They need to sign him if they want any chance at resigning Pujols. Cardinals got the "second" bat they've needed for a while - and I doubt Albert will be too happy if they let it walk away.

russ99
10-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Any chance he goes back to the Cardinals, or is he going to take the big money in New York or Boston?

I was listening to KTRS-AM 550 in St. Louis last week, and the talk on that station was that the Cards are going to begin talking about renewing with Pujols, even though he still has another year on his contract. To me, that doesn't seem like a good indication that the Cards think Holliday will return.

Every time Boras has been in this situation, with a star player client in his first FA, he's only used the current team to raise the bidding with zero intention of fielding serious offers to re-sign. I very much doubt he's coming back to St. Louis.

I just hope the Cards are smart enough to make a serious offer, and if it's refused (undoubtedly) then back out sooner than later, and not get caught up in Boras' games.

My money is on Boston, if Bay signs elsewhere. If not, maybe the Angels, since Abreu and Figgins will be off the books.

MARTINMVP
10-12-2009, 03:21 PM
I would hope Holliday would see how improved his performance was after being traded to St. Louis. The combo of Pujols and Holliday should be absolutely sick. Obviously, all the hype of the Cardinals means nothing after getting swept by the Dodgers in the NLCS, but I don't think they are nearly as bad as they played this past week. I think they simple peaked early and took a serious nosedive at the wrong time and simply ran out of gas. Good teams shouldn't do that, but with how well they were playing for most of this 2nd half.

russ99
10-12-2009, 03:31 PM
I would hope Holliday would see how improved his performance was after being traded to St. Louis. The combo of Pujols and Holliday should be absolutely sick.

I'd like to think that, but guys that hire Boras are after only one thing, the biggest payday. And with the season he just had, I'd bet they expect Teixeira dollars, if not more.

Do the Cardinals have enough revenue coming in to cover that and pay Albert what he needs to retire in a Cards jersey? I'm not so sure about that.

doublem23
10-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Do the Cardinals have enough revenue coming in to cover that and pay Albert what he needs to retire in a Cards jersey? I'm not so sure about that.

The only hope the Cards have, IMO, is that the Yankees look to be covered at the 1B/DH spots until about 2016, so I don't know if they'll be in the Pujols bidding when his deal expires after 2011. As much cash as the Red Sox, Angels, Cubs, Mets, etc. can throw around, if the Yankees get involved, things go into hyperdrive. I think the Cardinals can match any offer from anyone but NYY. Whether or not he cripples them with an absurd contract, we'll see.

eriqjaffe
10-12-2009, 04:01 PM
On the bright side, I'm grateful that the presence of Boras should prevent any "Matt Holliday????" threads.

DSpivack
10-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I read elsewhere that the Cards will offer something like 5 years and 90 mil to Holliday, but unwilling to go much beyond that. To sign Pujols will likely take somewhere between $250 and $300 million. I don't think they have the money to sign both to gigantic contracts.

soxinem1
10-13-2009, 07:59 AM

Unless someone dumps a huge $$$$ contract on him, I think he prefers to stay in the NL and with STL.

However if LaRussa hits the road, which is possible, I think they will not be able to sign Holliday.

With Matsui off the books after the season ends, NYY has the means, but with NYM dropping ticket prices and being saddled with some bad contracts (even though Delgado comes off the books) I'd be suprised if they went after him. They'll have a lot of good hitters returning from injuries and pitching is their main need.

I think Bay will stay in BOS. He'll get an average of $20 million for 5-6 years.

NLaloosh
10-13-2009, 09:08 AM
My guess is that he goes to the Yankees. Why should they stoop now? They should buy another World Series.

SOXSINCE'70
10-13-2009, 09:33 AM
:hawk
"Nnnooooo." He won't be with the Sox, that's for sure.

soltrain21
10-13-2009, 10:33 AM
I think Bay will stay in BOS. He'll get an average of $20 million for 5-6 years.

I'll eat a shoe if Bay gets 20 million a year.

Foulke You
10-13-2009, 12:16 PM
I'll eat a shoe if Bay gets 20 million a year.
I agree, he won't get anything close to that in this market.

soxinem1
10-13-2009, 11:11 PM
From BOS he will. Or the NYY if they chase him.

EndemicSox
10-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Nah, even from Boston or NY, Bay wouldn't come close to Texeira money. I think he wants, at a minimum, 4 years and $60 million, I think he gets around 4 for 50-55 by a desperate team(or the RedSox as plan B if they can't sign Holliday).

I like Matt, but given what he is demanding, I'd take Bay. I don't think Holliday is THAT much better than Bay(although Holliday's D is miles ahead, which will certainly factor in the Sox's decision making).

I'd love Holliday on the WhiteSox, as most of us would, but I don't think the economy will allow Reinsdorf and company to make a splash quite that big.

chisox616
10-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Will his performance in the AL be a factor in these signings? After all, it's not like it was just Oakland's stadium that was keeping his performance; he did just as "average" on the road (.286ish) and actually hit more homers back home.

EndemicSox
10-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Will his performance in the AL be a factor in these signings? After all, it's not like it was just Oakland's stadium that was keeping his performance; he did just as "average" on the road (.286ish) and actually hit more homers back home.

It's a factor, but I think after a horrific first month or two in Oakland, he settled in and started crushing the ball after he became comfortable with his new team. Guy isn't a traditional masher, per se, but his spot in the lineup is pretty much guarenteed close to a .400OBP and 1.000 OPS, along with solid, if not spectacular defense. If Kenny Williams didn't take a chance on Rios, I'm thinking Holliday would have been an option as Dye's replacement. Anyway, the numbers he gives a team are probably worth at least $20 million per nowadays...it's crazy just typing that given what stars were paid just 20 years ago... :sigh:

Lip Man 1
10-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Endemic:

Holliday's agent is Scott Boras there was absolutely zero chance of the Sox showing interest.

Lip

EndemicSox
10-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Endemic:

Holliday's agent is Scott Boras there was absolutely zero chance of the Sox showing interest.

Lip

I know Lip, one can dream though, one can dream. Guy would be perfect as our RF/LF for the next 5 years... :sigh:

soltrain21
10-14-2009, 05:16 PM
I know Lip, one can dream though, one can dream. Guy would be perfect as our RF/LF for the next 5 years... :sigh:

Maybe? He wasn't that great in Oakland, and having Albert Pujols to hit behind is quite the bonus.

EndemicSox
10-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Maybe? He wasn't that great in Oakland, and having Albert Pujols to hit behind is quite the bonus.

No doubt, but even if you only get a .280-.300 average/.380 OBP/ and 25 HR's instead of the eye-popping #'s he put up behind Pujols and in Colorado, it's still top 5 corner OF #'s. Time will tell!