PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Delgado

mzh
10-12-2009, 11:55 AM
He is a free agent, and if we are even thinking about bringing Dye or Thome back as our DH next year, I think this might be the guy to look at first. He has proven he can hit for lots of power even in his late 30's, he has been remarkably durable until this season. I don't know what kind of pay he might command, but I like the idea easily as much as bring 23/25 back.

guillensdisciple
10-12-2009, 11:57 AM
He is a free agent, and if we are even thinking about bringing Dye or Thome back as our DH next year, I think this might be the guy to look at first. He has proven he can hit for lots of power even in his late 30's, he has been remarkably durable until this season. I don't know what kind of pay he might command, but I like the idea easily as much as bring 23/25 back.

Good idea only if we can get him for minimal payment. Anything above 5 millions a year on this guy is too much. Still more valuable than Dye, who probably gets paid double digits on arbitration this year.

Rockabilly
10-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Don't want him at all on the Sox.

Domeshot17
10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
If he is healthy I would love to see him. If the guy can give us the usual 30 doubles 25 homers 100 rbis from the left side of the plate while hitting over 280, he is exactly what the lineup needs.

khan
10-12-2009, 12:13 PM
I always viewed Delgado as a possible client of certain pharmacies.

I'd rather not have Delgado in the team, as the threat of a 50 game suspension may be just around the corner.

Domeshot17
10-12-2009, 12:19 PM

I'd rather not have Delgado in the team, as the threat of a 50 game suspension may be just around the corner.

You really think so? This late in his career without any notion he used? Especially with how consistent hes been?

fram40
10-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Anybody who has been around for 10+ years can be tainted by the pharmacy rumors. Few players have officially failed a PED test - yet all of them are only one or two degrees of separation away, at most. All of them.

To consider only clean players leaves very few possibilities. It is unfortunate, but that is the way it is.

DirtySox
10-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't mind the addition of Delgado. A decent option.

soxinem1
10-12-2009, 01:15 PM
I am very much in favor of pursuing this guy, as I've noted in prior posts.

LH power, less K's than Thome, and can still play 1B a bit? Absolutely!

If we have to pay $5 million to Linebrink each of the next two seasons we can give it to this guy too.... If he's healthy.

voodoochile
10-12-2009, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't mind the addition of Delgado. A decent option.

Yeah, except he doesn't offer much flexibility to the lineup. Quentin has to make the switch to RF for this to work.

KenBerryGrab
10-12-2009, 01:31 PM
He's done.

doublem23
10-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah, except he doesn't offer much flexibility to the lineup. Quentin has to make the switch to RF for this to work.

Quentin was primarily a RF with Arizona until he moved to LF here to accommodate Jermaine. I'm sure he'll be fine.

I'm wary of singing a 37-year-old who just missed almost all of the previous season. What happened to Delgado anyway, and is there a chance this could be a lingering problem?

voodoochile
10-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Quentin was primarily a RF with Arizona until he moved to LF here to accommodate Jermaine. I'm sure he'll be fine.

I'm wary of singing a 37-year-old who just missed almost all of the previous season. What happened to Delgado anyway, and is there a chance this could be a lingering problem?

I know that, but don't know if his foot problems would affect his ability to play the more demanding defensive position.

mzh
10-12-2009, 01:48 PM

This is only true if we resign podsednik. If we don't and go with somebody else, perhaps Rios or a center/right fielder, Quentin can stay in left.

doublem23
10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
I know that, but don't know if his foot problems would affect his ability to play the more demanding defensive position.

It's not like he's moving to SS. RF is really no more demanding than LF, other than the occasional time you have to make the throw to 3B.

khan
10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
You really think so? This late in his career without any notion he used? Especially with how consistent hes been?

I'd think so. He played with Canseco and Clemens in Toronto. His OPS "mysteriously" jumped 100 points after Canseco joined the blue jays.

tm1119
10-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Wouldnt be a bad option for a cheap, incentive laden contract. Im not sure if hes much more than a platoon player at this point in his career, but that wouldnt be much of a problem here. Delgado at DH against RHP's and Carlos at DH against LHP's with Kotsay/Pods/FA signing filling in the OF. Wouldnt be the worst of scenarios.

Zisk77
10-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Are the voices in my head speaking again or didn't we try to acquire him years ago at the trade deadline when he was on a horrible jays team, but he refused to come.Maybe 2004 when Frank and Maggs went down????

fram40
10-12-2009, 02:36 PM
It's not like he's moving to SS. RF is really no more demanding than LF, other than the occasional time you have to make the throw to 3B.

couldn't a case be made that RF is less demanding than LF? because there are fewer balls to hit to RF

mzh
10-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I'd think so. He played with Canseco and Clemens in Toronto. His OPS "mysteriously" jumped 100 points after Canseco joined the blue jays.

Nick Swisher's OPS jumped 120 points from 08 to 09, and Nick Swisher is no Carlos Delgado, and Swisher's batting average was still only .249. Hell, Joe Mauer's OPS has jumped about 200 points, and do you think that's because Orlando Cabrera or Carl Pavano suddenly joined the clubhouse?

khan
10-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Nick Swisher's OPS jumped 120 points from 08 to 09, and Nick Swisher is no Carlos Delgado, and Swisher's batting average was still only .249. Hell, Joe Mauer's OPS has jumped about 200 points, and do you think that's because Orlando Cabrera or Carl Pavano suddenly joined the clubhouse?

Swisher is experiencing a bounceback to his numbers in 2006, aided by being away from Walker, from playing in a team with a $200M roster, and from playing in a bandbox.

Joe Mauer was hurt in 2008 with a kidney obstruction, so a jump in OPS can be expected, particularly in a player of his quality.

Lip Man 1
10-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Zisk:

You are correct. Kenny had a deal for him and he refused the trade.

Lip

areilly
10-12-2009, 05:08 PM

This is hilarious. Next we'll be hearing about the Manny Ramirez/Juan Pierre conspiracy.

:rolleyes:

WhiteSox5187
10-12-2009, 06:17 PM
This is hilarious. Next we'll be hearing about the Manny Ramirez/Juan Pierre conspiracy.

It would explain Manny having twice as many steals once he got to LA. I am suspicious of all power hitters from that era except for Frank and Thome (and Thome might just be a case of "oh God I hope not!"). Having said that, I suspect that Delgado's best years are behind him. I wouldn't be opposed to having him here if it is at the right price, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

Also what is up with all this talk coming of him playing the OF? He hasn't played the OF since he was 23!

TheVulture
10-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Wow. Delgado's OPS jumped 100 points at age 26? Harold Baines' OPS jumped 130 points at age 25, perhaps he was a roider, too. That's it, I'm calling the front office, demanding his termination.

Corlose 15
10-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Delgado is on record saying that the Cell was his least favorite stadium in baseball, so maybe he doesn't want to come here. It was admittedly before the renovations though so who knows.

I'd still like to see a power hitting outfielder but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

mzh
10-13-2009, 06:03 PM
I'd still like to see a power hitting outfielder but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

I don't want to start another thread, so I'll bring it up here. MLBTR is saying that the Angels are unlikely to sign Vladimir Guerrero, maybe he is an even better option.

LoveYourSuit
10-13-2009, 06:22 PM
I don't want to start another thread, so I'll bring it up here. MLBTR is saying that the Angels are unlikely to sign Vladimir Guerrero, maybe he is an even better option.

Vlad running makes my body hurt. He would be limited to DH only duties, something the Sox do no want to do with that position.

areilly
10-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Wow. Delgado's OPS jumped 100 points at age 26? Harold Baines' OPS jumped 130 points at age 25, perhaps he was a roider, too. That's it, I'm calling the front office, demanding his termination.

Hank Aaron, age 34: 0.852
Hank Aaron, age 35: 1.003
Hank Aaron, age 36: 0.958
Hank Aaron, age 37: 1.079

Obviously juicing. Twice!

khan
10-14-2009, 01:32 PM

Hilarious, yes. But I have little trust in most players from that era. I barely trust any player who played with EITHER Canseco or Clemens.

But I especially distrust any player who played with both Canseco AND Clemens in the same team.

areilly
10-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Hilarious, yes. But I have little trust in most players from that era. I barely trust any player who played with EITHER Canseco or Clemens.

But I especially distrust any player who played with both Canseco AND Clemens in the same team.

Have at it:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2001.shtml

khan
10-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Have at it:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2001.shtml

OK. Out of that group, I'd guess:

Lee, Ordonez, Valentine, Foulke, and Parque. Some of these guys have been rumored to be customers of certain pharmacies. Parque already admitted to it.

EDIT: Except for Thomas, the majority of the players from that era are culpable for aiding MLB's long coverup, even if they weren't directly involved.