PDA

View Full Version : "Exorcising Demons"

wilburaga
10-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Incredibly, that is the headline of the NY Times sports page today, referring to the Yankees return to the ALCS. Such is the inapproachable hubris of the Yankees, their followers, and their fans.

If you go over 100 years without a championship, you can whine about demons.
If you go 46 years between home victories in the postseason you can be permitted to mention demons in a weak moment.
If you lose as agonizingly as the Red Sox in 1986, a little moaning about demons can be tolerated.
But if you've won more championships than any other professional team, if you go the the postseason virtually every year, if you've won 4 of the last 12 World Series, you may NOT invoke demons without looking like a simpering fool. I'm told the headline writers are often not the author of the piece, so I'll not cast aspersions on Tyler Kepner. But whoever dreamt up that headline is a self-pitying pompous ass.

W

Marqhead
10-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Godspeed Angels, godspeed....

TomC727
10-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I know there is a ton of hatred on this board for all things Yankees but here is my opinion.

I hated the Yankees with a passion while in college. After visiting Yankee Stadium in the summer of '04, my opinion changed from hatred to respect. The Yankees are what baseball used to be. Yankee Stadium was like a cathedral. The history of baseball was in Yankee Stadium. I was sad to see it close.

Now that I live on the east coast and have been to a bunch of Yankee games, now in the new stadium, I have grown to cheer for the Yankees. I will always be a White Sox fan but I also have found myself cheering for the Yankees. The Yankees have done, what every single one of us wish the White Sox could do, pour all of the money into the team. The Yankees compete every year, and give back to their fanbase. How satisfying would it be to consider any season other than a World Series Championship a failure.

I have been to multiple Yankee games in full White Sox gear when the White Sox came to town, and had nothing but enjoyable conversations with some of the most diehard baseball fans I have met. I never got crap from any of the fans and enjoyed every minute of being at the games and having a good baseball conversation surrounded by true baseball fans. I wish some of the passion that the fans I was with would translate to White Sox Park.

The Yankees are the most successful sports franchise in the world and I have no problem cheering for them.

I will be cheering for the Angels in the ALCS because of the many problems they had to overcome in the season, but if the Yankees represent the AL in the World Series, I will be cheering for them.

Hope this helps some people on their opinion of the Yankees and why I have no problem with them.

BleacherBandit
10-12-2009, 12:40 PM
I know there is a ton of hatred on this board for all things Yankees but here is my opinion.

I hated the Yankees with a passion while in college. After visiting Yankee Stadium in the summer of '04, my opinion changed from hatred to respect. The Yankees are what baseball used to be. Yankee Stadium was like a cathedral. The history of baseball was in Yankee Stadium. I was sad to see it close.

Now that I live on the east coast and have been to a bunch of Yankee games, now in the new stadium, I have grown to cheer for the Yankees. I will always be a White Sox fan but I also have found myself cheering for the Yankees. The Yankees have done, what every single one of us wish the White Sox could do, pour all of the money into the team. The Yankees compete every year, and give back to their fanbase. How satisfying would it be to consider any season other than a World Series Championship a failure.

I have been to multiple Yankee games in full White Sox gear when the White Sox came to town, and had nothing but enjoyable conversations with some of the most diehard baseball fans I have met. I never got crap from any of the fans and enjoyed every minute of being at the games and having a good baseball conversation surrounded by true baseball fans. I wish some of the passion that the fans I was with would translate to White Sox Park.

The Yankees are the most successful sports franchise in the world and I have no problem cheering for them.

I will be cheering for the Angels in the ALCS because of the many problems they had to overcome in the season, but if the Yankees represent the AL in the World Series, I will be cheering for them.

Hope this helps some people on their opinion of the Yankees and why I have no problem with them.

I think we're more pissed off at the editor of that article for being completely idiotic. Even if you're a diehard Yankees fan, you should have nothing to complain about.

fram40
10-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Incredibly, that is the headline of the NY Times sports page today, referring to the Yankees return to the ALCS. Such is the inapproachable hubris of the Yankees, their followers, and their fans.

If you go over 100 years without a championship, you can whine about demons.
If you go 46 years between home victories in the postseason you can be permitted to mention demons in a weak moment.
If you lose as agonizingly as the Red Sox in 1986, a little moaning about demons can be tolerated.
But if you've won more championships than any other professional team, if you go the the postseason virtually every year, if you've won 4 of the last 12 World Series, you may NOT invoke demons without looking like a simpering fool. I'm told the headline writers are often not the author of the piece, so I'll not cast aspersions on Tyler Kepner. But whoever dreamt up that headline is a self-pitying pompous ass.

W

This is why I was rooting for the Twins. **** the Yankees!

Go Angels.

doublem23
10-12-2009, 12:43 PM
**** the Yankees.

mccoydp
10-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Damn, I hope the Angels stomp all over the ****ing Yankees.

ChiSoxGirl
10-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Go to hell, Yankees! :angry:

DSpivack
10-12-2009, 02:26 PM
I think we're more pissed off at the editor of that article for being completely idiotic. Even if you're a diehard Yankees fan, you should have nothing to complain about.

I'll always root against the Yankees, but I understand the p.o.v. of this article. From a Yankee perspective, they expect a World Series win every year. That they haven't won in nearly a decade is considered a drought to them. Sure, it's hubris, but it's New York, and the Yankees. I'm neither surprised nor moved by an article like this.

MisterB
10-12-2009, 02:33 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2ejdP2MCuUs/R5uIsbrvwNI/AAAAAAAAAZQ/Mwy8YbVTYYE/s320/blasphemer.bmp

:tongue:

TomC727
10-12-2009, 02:45 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2ejdp2mcuus/r5uisbrvwni/aaaaaaaaazq/mwy8ybvtyye/s320/blasphemer.bmp

:tongue:

lollol

LITTLE NELL
10-18-2009, 04:13 PM
I hated the Yankees as a kid as they always were a little better than the Sox in the 50s and the 60s. As I grew older I also came to respect them for all the championships they won as I do the the Canadiens and the Celtics. Those 3 teams were the great dynasties of my lifetime and how great it would have been if it were the Sox and the Blackhawks that had won all those championships, the Bulls are the closest thing to a Chicago Dynasty in my lifetime with the 6 NBA titles.
When it comes to fans that I have met since moving to Florida, the Yankee fans just wear their NY caps and hardly say a word(they dont have to), Bosox fans on the other hand think it's their team that has won 26 World Series. Give me a break.

Frater Perdurabo
10-18-2009, 04:47 PM
I hate the absolute smugness of the Yankees and their fans, who think they are entitled to a championship every year. They think the whole ****ing universe revolves around them. And ESPN feeds that fire by covering the MLB world on the basis, and through the lens of a New York-Boston axis.

I wish the Yankees and their fans would have to endure a millennium of winless seasons.